Southern Arizona rides

Ombre

Glad you asked!  ?

We are planning an after-work ride this week on Friday (4/27/2018), starting at Grant & I-10 (Waffle House parking lot) and doing some of The Loop toward downtown. See map.  This will be a shorter ride because we'll run out of daylight but we still have time to play around downtown a little.  Total mileage will be <15 miles so no need to bring a charger.  Three people have already RSVP'd for this ride.

The next ride planned after that will probably be our first-annual Cinco de Mayo Ride (May 5) in Tucson.  Location and route TBD, but we'll probably try to crash a parade or something.  I expect a few of our Phoenix/Scottsdale brothers to come down and join us for this one. @Playarider @dbfrese

If you want to stay tuned for more ride announcements, contact me via PM and we'll hook up on email. Lots of smaller group rides have been happening that we haven't announced on this forum.

Afterwork EUC ride 2018-04-27.png

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Marvin Ong said:

Do you guys only ride Tuscon and not in Phoenix area?

We ride both.  Check some of the older rides in this thread.  In fact we just did a big Scottsdale ride on Saturday (April 21) that wasn't promoted here, and it was awesome.

We may be done with Phoenix area rides for the season, though, since it's hotter in Phoenix than Tucson. We'll get back to Phoenix in the fall.

The 1st Annual Tucson Cinco de Mayo EUC Ride

May 5, 2018 starting at 7:30 a.m., at Highland Parking Garage, 1420 E Helen St

This may be our last big group ride of the season, so don't miss out! Since all of the new Tucson crew are now skilled enough to ride sidewalks, we're going for a mixed ride of 65% sidewalk/bike-friendly streets, and 35% on trails. Roughly 20 miles as planned.

Please disregard previous map & instructions.  I changed things because I discovered two events happening in downtown for Cinco de Mayo and re-designed the route so that we could crash both of them.  One is a "block party" at Mercado San Agustin featuring food trucks and live music, and the other is the Tucson Folk Festival happening in and around El Presidio Park (our favorite downtown park for playing around).

The new meeting point will be Highland Parking Garage at 1420 E Helen St, near Speedway/Campbell.  Most of you have been there before. Parking is free on Saturday.

Realistically with playing around we'll probably log 25+ miles, so definitely bring your chargers. We'll go right past El Molinito in South Tucson but on Cinco de Mayo it may be too crowded for lunch.  No worries, there are several possible lunch stops, including Roma Imports. We will also terrorize the U of A, ride a chunk of The Loop, and explore Reid Park for the first time. See attached map for details.

Wheels with 30 mile range should be OK without charging if we don't make any side trips, but bring a charger just in case we decide to go for bonus miles. 

It's also OK to join up later in the day if that works for you. Just call or text for our current location: 520-276-9474

Cinco de Mayo EUC ride v2.png

Edited by Ombre
change of route and map

Note: the route for May 5 has changed!  See post above for the revised meeting point and map.  Hope to see you there.  Please RSVP if you haven't already, so we know how many to expect (this affects where we stop for re-charging).

Had a good impromptu ride last night with @Zerloth and two others, on the Pantano River Park trail.  Man, the weather is PERFECT in Tucson right now.  Upper 70s, dry, clear.  It doesn't get any better. Too bad the heat is coming this weekend.

We've got 7 confirmed for the upcoming Cinco de Mayo ride: Me, @Playarider@MacPara, @Zerloth and Laura, Jeff & Emma.

5 hours ago, Ombre said:

Had a good impromptu ride last night with @Zerloth and two others, on the Pantano River Park trail.  Man, the weather is PERFECT in Tucson right now.  Upper 70s, dry, clear.  It doesn't get any better. Too bad the heat is coming this weekend.

We've got 7 confirmed for the upcoming Cinco de Mayo ride: Me, @Playarider@MacPara, @Zerloth and Laura, Jeff & Emma.

I couldn't resist the nice weather yesterday either and blew the ACM up to Ina and bike path. Looks like one can get through to continue NW to Avra Valley Road. Didn't have the time to try it but put it on the list of stuff to check out. Came back and still had 75% battery left after 19 miles at high speed ?

Edited by MacPara
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, the larger group ride won't probably until September.   But we were talking about a couple of the Tucson guys coming down to Phoenix maybe early July.  I captured you number so ill text you to put something together.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Glad to see a new rider in Phoenix.   Their are quite a few riders scattered around.  And even a Tucson group that comes up for group rides from time to time.

No big rides planned that I'm aware of, but I will be riding from Scottsdale south to Tempe beach park today sometime if you want to meet up ?