Southern Arizona rides

Ombre

• 4 weeks later...

@MagicCow,

Sorry for the late notice, but it looks like the December 9 ride is going to be postponed to another date, yet to be determined. The usual trio, @Ombre, @Playarider and myself are all going to be unavailable on Saturday. Of course, if there are others interested in a group ride for that day, please arrange something, then tell us about it here!

• 2 weeks later...

New Scottsdale-Tempe-Phoenix ride planned January 6, 2017!

@Playarider @dbfrese @MagicCow@Clovis@Code In Space

Saturday, January 6 at 10:00 AM:  meet at Indian School Park and Tennis Center on Hayden Rd in Scottsdale. All riders welcome.

Total mileage will probably be in the 25-30 range. Recharging breaks will be available as needed, and we'll stop for lunch. Also, if anyone wants to check out the latest King Song wheels, let me know and I'll bring one or two up from the eWheels of Arizona store in Tucson.

Please RSVP on this thread!

• 3 weeks later...

In addition to the January 6 ride in Scottsdale, which is open to all riders, we are holding a special session for people with little or no experience on January 7 in Tucson!

The idea is for people to be able to try out a EUC before buying one (or if they have one but haven't learned how to ride, they can get some tips).  This session is free and there's no obligation at all.

We'll have a few "beater" wheels there for beginners to bash up, and protective gear to lend.  Attendees need to bring their own sports helmet and sign a waiver.

Anyone interested can PM me for details on time and place, or RSVP on this thread and I'll follow up. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tucson ride planned January 27, 2017!

@Playarider @dbfrese @MagicCow@Clovis@Code In Space

Saturday, January 27 at 10:00 AM:  meet at Morris K Udall Park in Tucson (corner Sabino Canyon and Tanque Verde Rd). All riders welcome.

Total mileage will probably be about 30-34 miles. Recharging breaks will be available as needed, and we'll stop for lunch. Also, if anyone wants to check out the latest King Song wheels, let me know and I'll bring one or two up from the eWheels of Arizona store in Tucson.

Approximate map is below.  We'll hit several multi-use paths, the University, downtown, Fourth Avenue, Pantano River Park, and much more!

Please RSVP on this thread!

Tucson proposed ride 2018-01.png

Edited by Ombre
typo
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Phoenix practice session and group ride planned February 18, 2018!

@Playarider @dbfrese @Clovis

Sunday, February 18 in downtown Phoenix. All rider levels & wheels welcome.

This one is more about playing than covering distance. We'll use the various downtown parks, plazas, and ramps to practice urban riding skills.  Total mileage will probably be less than 15 miles. Recharging breaks will be available when we stop for lunch or coffee. Also, if anyone wants to check out the latest King Song wheels, let me know and I'll bring one or two up from the eWheels of Arizona store in Tucson.

No map for this ride, since we're just going to wander downtown. Meeting point and starting time to be announced, so RSVP to make sure we get you the info.

We're also holding a training session in Tucson on February 17, and an informal "just show up" ride around Cars & Coffee at La Encantada on February 10 (early morning).  To get email updates of all future rides and other events, sign up here: http://eepurl.com/dhvDpn

Edited by Ombre
added info about other future events

• 2 weeks later...

The Sunday Feb 18 Phoenix ride is still on, but we are also planning:

Bonus ride/training session in Tucson on Saturday, Feb 17 (this weekend!)

This will be an easy 20-mile roundtrip exploring the areas on the map below.  Meet at the Bookman's Event Center parking lot at 10:00 am, near Irvington/I-10, at the corner of S Outlet Center Drive and S Julian Dr.

Four riders are confirmed so far, and more are welcome at any experience level.  We'll be doing basic training for anyone who needs it before the actual ride, so if you are a total beginner just show up for the free lessons!

To get email updates of all future rides and other events in southern Arizona, sign up here: http://eepurl.com/dhvDpn

Tucson EUC ride 2018-02-17.png

• 3 weeks later...

Just saying "Hi" as I live in Oro Valley (Magee & Oracle) and will likely join in for the next rides. 

Do you guys just want to see unicycles at the event or is the occasional Segway-type two-wheeler ok to join? Just thinking my wife might enjoy these tours as well but I could never get her on a unicycle.

Looking forward to ride with you guys (and gals?)!

Hi @MacPara

I meant to reply to your email earlier (sorry!) but since you've posted here I'll put up my response for others to read too.

We welcome all electric personal transportation devices.  A Segway is too slow to keep up with us on most rides, but if your wife already owns a Segway go ahead and invite her to join us. We'll arrange a little special "in town" low-speed riding just for her, then break off for the rest of the ride at higher speed.

If she doesn't have a Segway yet, let me suggest an electric kick scooter instead.  eWheels offers some very good ones and I have several here in Tucson for immediate delivery, like the Inmotion L6 and the Speedway Mini Pro 4. The scooters are much faster and can keep up with unicycles, they're more portable, and I think they are a lot more fun to ride.

The more, the merrier!

BTW we were going to ride around the 4th Avenue Street Fair today but I had to cancel because of illness. Next ride is TBD but something will definitely be planned soon!

FYI @dbfrese @Playarider

• Upvote 1

Tucson AZ: Anyone want to ride next Friday or Saturday (16th or 17th)?  I'm in Tucson for mother-in-law's 90th birthday, but the party isn't until Sunday, so it'd be fun to do some riding.  I should arrive in town mid-day Friday so could probably ride anytime after mid-afternoon and/or on Saturday.  I expect I'll have my Tesla and mten3 with me.

• Like 1

Hell yeah, I'm always up for a ride when I'm in town.  Saturday the 17th would be best for most people. 

I can suggest some meeting points and routes.  PM me with your approximate location in Tucson. I'll see I can round up the usual suspects.

@Playarider @dbfrese @MacPara and a couple of others who don't haunt these forums.

We've been doing so many rides and training sessions in Tucson that I'm having trouble keeping up. Last night we had a new rider go solo for her first time!

Here's the latest:

Friday, March 9:  meeting at the Tucson Mall motorcoach parking lot (back NW corner) at 11:00 a.m.  for some riding on The Loop, then lunch, then The Loop again.  Keeping this one to 5-10 miles because @MacPara is still a newbie.

Saturday, March 10:  meeting at the Highland Parking Garage, Helen St near the U of A at 9:30 a.m. to ride around the Tucson Festival of Books and other places.  Unknown mileage, we're just out to have fun wandering on this day.

Saturday, March 17: meeting at the Highland Parking Garage, Helen St near the U of A  with visiting rider @duaner and anyone else who cares to join.  Garage parking is free.  We'll probably go 25-30 miles.

RSVP here or with me, thanks! The more, the merrier!

Edited by Ombre
corrected start location of 3/17 ride

I think you already know that I WILL be in attendance for the March 17th ride.    I need some good practice time. (One footers, perhaps?)   Maybe some rocky terrain like Hunts Tomb in Phoenix?   But I'll take what ever ya got !     @dbfrese going to make it?  If so, I can bring your favorite football !!

16 hours ago, Playarider said:

I think you already know that I WILL be in attendance for the March 17th ride.    I need some good practice time. (One footers, perhaps?)   Maybe some rocky terrain like Hunts Tomb in Phoenix?   But I'll take what ever ya got !     @dbfrese going to make it?  If so, I can bring your favorite football !!

March 17 is TBD. This weekend is already booked solid -- I've got obligations up to my eyeballs!

Today's ride was awesome.  @MacPara exceeded his own expectations and we logged fun 17.8 miles.  He'll be a little sore in the calves tomorrow.

FYI -- six people already RSVP'd to me for the St Patrick's Day ride, so it looks like it will be our biggest Tucson ride ever!  I'm so psyched that we are finally building an EUC community here ... one person at a time.

So far I have 7 RSVPs for the St Patrick's Day EUC ride, which will make it the biggest group we've ever had in Tucson or Phoenix!

The start/meeting point has changed!   @duaner

Meeting point is now the Highland Parking Garage, 1420 E Helen St, near the hospital and university.  (Garage parking is free on the weekend.)  Start time remains 10:00 a.m.

The attached route map is approximate. It only shows a 20 mile ride but there are multiple options to extend.  I kept the planned route short so we could play around in various parks. There will be recharging options along the way, and a couple of options for lunch stops.

St Patricks EUC ride 2018.png

UPDATE:  We've got 8 confirmed for our St Patrick's Day ride so far!  I know to the California and NYC riders 8 doesn't seem like much but it's a big deal here.

I'm aiming to get 10-15 riders within a year. So if you are lurking in southern Arizona, get in touch and join us!

• Like 1

"Dragon Boat" ride in Scottsdale/Tempe on Sunday, March 25 (this weekend!)

@Playarider is designing this route, which will start at the Indian School Park Tennis Center parking lot in Scottsdale.  Most of us will be there at 10 a.m.  It's just off of the North East corner of Hayden and Indian School Rd. 

He says:  "From there we will take the wheels on a leisurely stroll thru Old Town Scottsdale swinging a bit north to the waterfront area then west a bit then South all the way down into phoenix and finally make it to Tempe Beach Park where we can enjoy the Dragon Boat Races and do a little 'dodge the spectator.'

We can grab a lunch to go in the area and run it back North to near Hunts Tomb for a good battery charge and outdoor lunch.  Back South again to Tempe Lake, then East and finally North on the 'Green Belt' all the way back to square one."

A couple of guys are meeting us midway, so if you can't make it by 10 just let me know by PM or in this thread, and I'll give you a phone # to contact us during the ride.
  • Like 1

UPDATE:  Five people are confirmed for this ride (2 arriving late).  We've had to alter the route somewhat due to traffic limitations (Tempe Arts and Dragon Boats are having an impact), but the meeting point is the same.

There's also a good chance we'll do a:

"The Loop" ride in Oro Valley on Saturday, March 31

Time and route TBD -- watch this space! 

• Like 1