Newbie need opinion

Nick R

I just started out yesterday.. Today I managed to go the length of my entire block ... 
When the ninebot was cruising I had no issue with control. 
However as I slowed it down... the wheels began to wobble
I dont mean like I am zigzagging .. I mean like it wobbles like it is warped or something..
Scared the crap out of me.. I spun the wheel and looked trying to find any bend or any kind of warping in the axis but didnt see any ... 

Is this normal ? 

Another question I have.. 
The speed limit that I set on the max speed ... only applies when you set Limit to ON, right ? 
I mean.. surely the max speed of the Ninebot C+ is not 6.2mph

Thoughts ?

Speed Limit is only applied when Limit is ON.  Max speed is around 13 mph, depending on your wheel.

The wobble is likely being new to riding.  When you get more comfortable, and when your legs get used to it, the wobble goes away mostly.  If you get tired, it may come back.

Good Job going a block on second day.  That's impressive.  You'll have it in no time.  Try not to go too fast at first as the wobble can happen at higher speeds and cause you to fall off.  Also though, too slow and it's hard to control.  Control going slow is something you will need to practice after you are comfortable riding it normal speed so you can maneuver around people and pets.

@Nick R, welcome to the forum the wobbling you describe is very likely to be due to the nut on top of the wheel - I.e. Yourself ?. Have look at the threads below, it is something almost all new riders find happening to them, as the get better it stops happening: 

I don't know the settings on the Ninebots very well, I'm sure someone else can answer that but yes it is faster than 6.2MPH.

With NB1 you have to travel some distance, I forgot how much, probably 30 kilometres, and the speed limit will be OFF. Before this particular distance you can't remove the speed limit. 

Well come to the club. 

I clicked on my second day.. Went all around the park at max speed because I set no limit and I heard the beep and it tried to slow me down...
Was pretty damn fun. And I only crashed and burned only once :D 
The wobble did improve... I think what I was doing was trying to slow down.. by lifting the front of my foot .. rather than lean my body straight back. I noticed this worked a heck of a lot better. I am still seeing a little bit of a wobble .. now during my turn.. but I think as you all pointed out... would improve over time. Bottom line is.. it has nothing to do with the wheel being physically warped or anything.. 

Hey I got another question.. Most clips I found on youtube.. people were saying they ride with 50-55 psi.. 
I pumped my NB1 C+ yesterday up to 35 psi and it already looked like I was gonna pop like a balloon on me.. so I stopped.
Checked the user manual.. and it says 35 PSI... so I have no idea whey these people are all saying 50-55 psi.. 
What do you guys have in your tire ? 

@Nick R, I'm running my Ninebot 1E+ at 50 psi, but that's only a recent development.  When I was still learning the basics, 35 psi was a better choice.  At 35 psi, the wheel is less twitchy and therefore easier to control.  I would suggest you stick with that until you have say 100 miles on the wheel and they start experimenting with higher pressure.

It probably does. It’s just that many of us preferred running higher pressure after we had mastered riding because it gave us a more precise ride. I agree though, while learning, 35psi is a good pressure.  Not too firm, not too soft  

I believe even the side of the tire shows a lower tire pressure, but many of us ran higher with no I’ll effects. 

I doubt it.  The wobble is indicative of when you are first learning.  It has to do with your comfort level, muscle memory, positioning on the wheel, etc...  I think a firmer tire might make it even worse while you are learning, but since it only takes a couple minutes, you could sure play with tire pressure to find what feels just right for you.  I know that some people that tried my tire pressure preferred the lower pressures, and vice versa.  It's truly up to each individual.  Changes of only 5 psi make a considerable difference on the ride, so maybe try a few.

6 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

I doubt it.  The wobble is indicative of when you are first learning.  It has to do with your comfort level, muscle memory, positioning on the wheel, etc...  I think a firmer tire might make it even worse while you are learning, but since it only takes a couple minutes, you could sure play with tire pressure to find what feels just right for you.  I know that some people that tried my tire pressure preferred the lower pressures, and vice versa.  It's truly up to each individual.  Changes of only 5 psi make a considerable difference on the ride, so maybe try a few.

4 hours ago, Nick R said:

I am wondering if higher tire pressure would take away some of my wobble issue ? 
What do you think ? 

@Nick R , I think @SuperSportis right, wobbling may well be worst with higher pressure, but it could be worth trying as it is very individual and of course depends also upon your weight as well.

However do bear in mind that, if the pressure is too high for you, the wheel will feel like you are riding on ice and may be very difficult to ride so do take care if trying a higher pressure.

So if higher pressure makes it more sensitive and like riding "on ice" as you put it.... what is the upside in having higher pressure I'm curious ? on a bicycle you are going to get faster speed on a higher pressure tire than the softer tires.. But on these unicycle you cant go more the max anyway... so what is the upside ? 

Why do you guys ride at 50 psi instead of the manual suggested 35 psi ? 

Mileage as mentioned above, but I also like the twitchy feeling on the NineBot. It can turn quickly and is very sporty with a firm tire.  

EDIT:  I don’t believe the riding on ice comment meant it handled poorly, like riding on slippery surface, but rather very smooth like on a sheet of ice. 

I usually have mine at 60 psi as it slowly leaks air out over the span of a week or two.  I think I'll look at getting some Slime as it's a bit of a pain to top up the tire every week or so.  50/55 is fine.  I just like the solid feel of the tire with the higher pressure.  It just doesn't feel as responsive at lower pressure for me.  35 psi?  :blink:  Might feel too squishy for my liking.

@Nick R, there is quite a lot of discussion about the effects of tyre pressure and also the effects of the tread pattern on page 2 of this V8 thread:

As for mounting a light, I looked for a bicycle powerful headlight where the handlebar clamp was fully pivoted and then used that clamp around the handle on my KS-14C. Some are made expecting the light to be either on the handlebar or upright so will not point forwards if mounted on an EUC handle. I think others have screwed fittings onto the Ninebot shell.

Thanks all.. for your comments. 
I saw the tire marking on the NB1 ... it says 35-45 psi  
I decided to give it a shot at 45 psi. 

And boom... my wobble disappeared.  
So hell yeah.. from now on... that's how this guy is gonna ride. 

Once again.. Thx for your great inputs. 

Archived