What is your experience with the KS16S until now ?

HermanTheGerman

Oh please! The Hoverboard is a 21st century version of a single person trampoline from the 70's that people stashed away in their closets after one week. Usually given as a gift. The Hoverboard was just a Segway for the masses. As a former Segway owner, I can tell you it was not practical, and neither is the Hoverboard.  No long term comparison here between EUCs.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is adults learning to ride a bicycle. Long video is also available.

All videos of adults learning show the saddle is an integral part of the learning process as the saddle allows you to keep going even as you lose your balance. EUCs have no such saddle; you jump on and stay on through determination, and keep hopping on, which is probably why every EUC learning video soon has the person soaked in sweat. By comparison learning bicycles is pretty relaxed.

Learning a saddled euc looks easy and relaxing, though. Skip to 9:20 of this video to see how easy it is.

EUCs are hard, no doubt about it, harder than bicycles, but having a removable beginners saddle would probably make it a lot easier.

58 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

Oh please! The Hoverboard is a 21st century version of a single person trampoline from the 70's that people stashed away in their closets after one week. Usually given as a gift. The Hoverboard was just a Segway for the masses. As a former Segway owner, I can tell you it was not practical, and neither is the Hoverboard.  No long term comparison here between EUCs.

i never mention it was practical, i just said it was popular and widely purchased.  i'm wondering what long term you are referring to and how long you predict it will take for the EUC to be for the masses.  

10 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

All videos of adults learning show the saddle is an integral part of the learning process as the saddle allows you to keep going even as you lose your balance. EUCs have no such saddle; you jump on and stay on through determination, and keep hopping on, which is probably why every EUC learning video soon has the person soaked in sweat. By comparison learning bicycles is pretty relaxed.

Learning a saddled euc looks easy and relaxing, though. Skip to 9:20 of this video to see how easy it is.

EUCs are hard, no doubt about it, harder than bicycles, but having a removable beginners saddle would probably make it a lot easier.

That is the method my kids used to learn.  It is amazing!  less than 1 hour for anyone to learn.  Even adults.

8 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

i'm wondering what long term you are referring to and how long you predict it will take for the EUC to be for the masses.  

With models like the KS16S, the Gotway mTen, Inmotion V8, Tesla, Acm, Msuper, Even the ips x5, we are on the cusp of the turning point. Look, is Yoga easy? Are Pilates easy? Not at first, but none of these is easier to learn fully than EUC riding. With space becoming a premium in urban domiciles, downsizing to one wheel makes a "ton" of sense.

23 hours ago, Mono said:

Well, in fact, the average price I spent on my bicycles is higher (even considerably higher) than the average price I spent on my EUCs. I wasn't aware of that before you made me think of it.

A decent electrical bike will cost more than a decent EUC. (please don't start about supermarket electric bikes. Talking about serious stuff with Bosch or Yamaha motors here).

16 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

Again, I love the use of the word "tons" to mean a lot more than it really means.  And of the "tons" of kids who wanted to try and did try it, how did they feel after they failed?

OK, I could pretend to have meant tens of kids, not tons of kids, or I should have written "a ton of kids", which is pretty much literally true. About 1000kg of kids have already ridden one of my wheels :)

14 hours ago, LanghamP said:

All videos of adults learning show the saddle is an integral part of the learning process as the saddle allows you to keep going even as you lose your balance.

Only that learning to ride a kick scooter is still (much) easier than learning to ride a bicycle. 

14 hours ago, LanghamP said:

EUCs have no such saddle; you jump on and stay on through determination, and keep hopping on, which is probably why every EUC learning video soon has the person soaked in sweat. By comparison learning bicycles is pretty relaxed.

The guy you are referring to above looks (inferred from his body posture) suspiciously as if he had ridden non-electric unicycles before, which is even much harder to learn, and has a saddle. In this case it is no surprise that he is up and running on any EUC, with or without saddle, within 5 minutes.

11 hours ago, Mono said:

On September 16, 2017 at 9:56 AM, LanghamP said:

All videos of adults learning show the saddle is an integral part of the learning process as the saddle allows you to keep going even as you lose your balance.

Only that learning to ride a kick scooter is still (much) easier than learning to ride a bicycle. 

EUCs have no such saddle; you jump on and stay on through determination, and keep hopping on, which is probably why every EUC learning video soon has the person soaked in sweat. By comparison learning bicycles is pretty relaxed.

The guy you are referring to above looks (inferred from his body posture) suspiciously as if he had ridden non-electric unicycles before, which is even much harder to learn, and has a saddle. In this case it is no surprise that he is up and running on any EUC, with or without saddle, within 5 minutes.

As far as the learning of a EUC goes, I think we are all giving ourselves way too much credit for just standing up straight on a moving platform. I just went on a drunken cycle ride last night with a crazy bicycle group, and they were amazed at the EUCs we brought. They had never even seen them before and invariably given toys and booze, adults will want to play too.

Out of the 5 people who wanted to try the EUCs 4 drunks balanced well enough to only need me as a symbolic crutch, holding their arm as they traveled about 100ft in their first 2 mins of introduction. Only 1 was too misaligned to actually balance without me having to hold him up. One guy even started to make loops in the parking lot all by himself after just a couple of mins. These were very messed up people who had just enough booze in them to give them courage, and the skill was already there the whole time. "Just stand up straight and lean forward if you get any trouble" is what I advised them to do and for the most part they did it with flying colors.

People are all ready for the EUCs, they just need more exposure. Some of the people who tried had ridden hoverboards, but for the most part, as bicyclists, they have the balancing skills, and they seem to transfer to EUC riding. I used an 840wh KS14c and after riding and stopping and riding for 5 hours, I still had 85% battery power when I got back to the car. EUCs are ready for primetime, and now we have to get out there and show people they now have a 21st century way of getting around. 

The future is here and it feels great under my feet!

Shortly in topic for a change. :P Besides my KS-16S I only have ridden a IPS Lhotz, so nothing relevant to compare the KS-16S to. Not surprisingly, I just love it! The handling is good, huge power, integrated trolley handle is a great plus, 4000km without issues, and battery capacity is decent. The side pads are thin and located too low for me, and the front light could be brighter for night riding. The only major negative in my book is the tire. Compared to the two 2.5" tires I've tried on (requires cutting the shell) the 2.125" original has restless handling, and dangerously bad grip on fine gravel and dirt.

On 15/09/2017 at 11:46 PM, eddiemoy said:

I'm sure if enough customers want it they will build it.

How would they even know? Take shock absorbers for example. If Msuper was sold both with and without a durable, well working shock absorbing system for $50 extra, I don't see why anyone would go for the non-shock version. Atleast if they got to try it in action. Customers do want it, yet no-one builds it.

And I don't trust that customers always know to want features on an EUC either. If you are learning on a bad riding generic that cuts out every now and then and maxes out at 5 miles and you don't know any better, you will probably deem the whole industry as dangerous toys with very little distance. Most likely you won't know to wish for a 1600Wh quality EUC that rides like a dream and never cuts out. You just forget the whole EUC thing and move on.

I think most EUCs should be sold with atleast two very different battery capacities. For example Rockwheel GT-16 is sold with 860Wh or 1036Wh. It should be more like 340/860/1600Wh.

7 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Take shock absorbers for example. If Msuper was sold both with and without a durable, well working shock absorbing system for $50 extra, I don't see why anyone would go for the non-shock version. Atleast if they got to try it in action. Customers do want it, yet no-one builds it.

There are rumours that the Gotway Tesla has something like a shock absorber.

That makes me wish for the first time to seriously test drive a Gotway wheel (until now I wasn't that excited about them).

On 9/18/2017 at 4:43 PM, Asylsteirer said:

There are rumours that the Gotway Tesla has something like a shock absorber.

That makes me wish for the first time to seriously test drive a Gotway wheel (until now I wasn't that excited about them).

Unfortunately it doesn't, these sidearms and pedals show nothing new regarding shock absorbing: 

IMG_0050.thumb.jpg.8452551538e59d73f71b7

I think that @houseofjob mentioned somewhere that it almost feels like it has shock absorption, but it was due to thick CST tire and overall wheel design & weight distribution:

6 hours ago, xebeche said:

Unfortunately it doesn't, these sidearms and pedals show nothing new regarding shock absorbing: 

I think that @houseofjob mentioned somewhere that it almost feels like it has shock absorption, but it was due to thick CST tire and overall wheel design & weight distribution:

What a pity! :)

It is still a very interesting wheel, and I will try it, also if we will get it here late.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_0059.thumb.JPG.d3a9e330fc65beca194761fb7196b305.JPG

KingSong KS-16S  1020Wh.

Charging for the first time after battery extension. We'll see if it extends the range as much as I hope.

I will finish it to proper looks eventually, I promise!

2 weeks into using the KS16S daily now (and about a month total of riding one), I have made lots of progress;

* My 10 minute commute to train station is now 9 mins, with average speed going up from 12mph to 13.x mph.

* Taking turns faster

* Starting to practice going backwards

* Able to go >10miles now without much discomfort (foot placement is critical!!). Still getting used to long rides. Did >12 miles last weekend in the morning. 

* Now that I am more at ease cruising...started to get bored so now turning on BT for music :)

* Tight turns, much less of a problem!

* People in my neighborhood and on my commute know me now :). Last time I went to the corner store 4 people stopped to ask me a bunch of questions.

* Can walk dog on single wheel (as opposed to my dual wheel)

* Going over grass....not a problem.

Gotta watch out for cars and people everywhere! They don't look for you!

On 14/09/2017 at 9:49 PM, LanghamP said:

Are there disadvantages to simply going with bigger wheels but smaller everything else? Methinks bigger wheels are safer wheels. When I ride with reasonable care I still crash a lot on my 14 inchers (must be nearly a hundred times now), three times now on my 16, and just once on my 18 incher.

I mean, what do you think of simply some monstrous 20 to 26 inch wheel, like a bicycle? Could that feasibly work?

I guess the main problem is the torque vs weight trade off. To have the same torque on the ground with the bigger wheel, the motor has to have more torque, which makes it heavier unless a transmission is introduced.

Archived