First principles. What do we want/need?

exoplanet

In order to design the dream personal transportation device, we must know what things actually are important. I  made a few assumptions in my dream euc thread.

I want to get the real requirements and design from there.

for example. We dont want big wheels. what we want is to be able to traverse big obstacles or traveerse obstacles without discomfort or get better mileage or just a bigger device or something.

I think it would be helpful to note what areas you guys are pushing the limits of your device. gravel? speed? range?'

Write down what you actually want your euc to do and what characteristics you want it to have in different situations. from there i will make a nice sketch.

proceed!

5 hours ago, exoplanet said:

Write down what you actually want your euc to do and what characteristics you want it to have in different situations. from there i will make a nice sketch.

The device I want already exists, it just needs some added range, lets say 100 km. Then I'll buy it:

If my EUC came equipped with this.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_signal_preemption

Basically just a way of turning traffic signals to green. It's irritating waiting at lights for 40% of the time, and when I'm walking I occasionally need two crossings in one intersection.

I envision a future where every car has these; it's irritating to see cars waiting at clear intersection. We can do so much better.

1 minute ago, Gimlet said:

Maybe machine guns, bullet proof screen, smoke screen, oil slick or even submarine capabilities?

A real 007 machine! :)

Then the moment has come to the Bond Girls appearing either one by one or altogether. Now I know what I really want. :cheers:

Nice suggestions!!

But seriously. Please help me with some boring mundane things.

Like. I need a transportation device that takes me places refreshed and quickly. from that all kinds of things follow.

By the way. do you think an edf version of the flying thing would work?

What size of obstacle do you need to get over?

what speed do you want?

what range do you need strictly speaking (and then we add safety range afterwards)

what features like ligths and stuff do you need? handles?

ability to stand still and not balance?

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I envision a future where every car has [Traffic_signal_preemption]; it's irritating to see cars waiting at clear intersection. We can do so much better.

You do realise that traffic lights will go away in a generation or two? Traffic lights are fundamentally there because of limitations in the reaction time of humans. Once the human element is gone, having traffic signal preemption would be redundant, because we will have traffic flow preemption.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/11/2017 at 9:11 AM, LanghamP said:

Basically just a way of turning traffic signals to green. It's irritating waiting at lights for 40% of the time, and when I'm walking I occasionally need two crossings in one intersection.

I envision a future where every car has these; it's irritating to see cars waiting at clear intersection. We can do so much better.

Agree!  But the signal technology could be changed so that if only one car is coming to the intersection, and the other three directions were empty of traffic, the light would automatically turn green for each car arriving from each direction in the order of their arrival.  Maybe in 10-20 years.  Signal timing is not very good right now.  Wastes a lot of gas and time.  There is only one that I have seen, a service road with little traffic, that if you are coming to a red light heading southbound, it will always turn green before you have to stop or even slow down.  It's great!

On 9/11/2017 at 1:26 PM, ir_fuel said:

Here you go

I would shit my pants sitting in one of those cars :blink1:

No you wouldn't because you'd be too busy looking down at your phone.

Archived