WheelLog Android App

palachzzz

5 hours ago, Seba said:

Tilt/roll was temporarily removed because I need to extend reading live data with new command. Tilt and roll values was never read from the Ninebot wheels in WheelLog, it was always zeroes. I know that speech doesn't work in Bulgarian, because from what I know Google doesn't provide Bulgarian speech engine with Android. Maybe you can get third-party Bulgarian speech engine from Google Play, but probably it will not be free. Or we can try to experiment with Russian engine and check if it can pronounce Bulgarian sentences well enough to make use of it until Google will provide Bulgarian engine. What do you think?

IMHO no point in wasting time developing speech for Bulgarian version. Such a small (for now) market, in which around 90-95% of the power users have their phones setup in English. So I think a translation of the strings is more than enough, and we should leave it at that. To me it seems,  all our efforts should be aimed towards wearable devices support, which is much much much more important (imperative, really). Given the fact that none of the official apps have wearable versions it gives way to make a feature for WheelLog that's of paramount importance for long-term success. I've already started some UX work that I'll be uploading to the dev slack group. 

Thumbs up again though for AMAZING work on the app. Can we have option for auto-sharing every ride to the live map? Most of the time now I start wheellog before I put my phone in the pocket in my home, and every time I turn wheel on/off it auto-connects and logs. Would love to have the option to auto-upload to map also. Maybe make auto-uploading always private, and then on the website-side to be able to make some visible or delete others? 

Another Q I had today is: Is it possible to run a bluetooth headset audio and still maintain constant wheellog connection? Trying to decide if I need to get bt audio for my helmet to hear voice stats from WL.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Seba said:

Tilt and roll values was never read from the Ninebot wheels in WheelLog, it was always zeroes.

They don't show even in my Ninebot app so don't worry! I just thought that if they don't show in the manufacturers app then it wasn't likely they would show in a 3rd party app. Would be nice to view them against a decent level though, just to see if the wheel values are actually correct.

On 5/5/2019 at 8:33 PM, HermanTheGerman said:

Thanks!  Unfortunately I can't test it before next saturday, but will give feedback then.

ok, I took the wheel with me to Vienna, and was able to do a short 4km ride.  Z10-wise everything works well, and I loved the speech feature, which I used for the first time, and tells me every km whats going on, really great!

But EUC-world datatransfer is a lot worse than before, only 1 or 2 trackpoints were transmitted, in an area with great 4G reception. Looks like that this part of the program doesn't work well with Android 8.0.

But I tell that just because I promised feedback, as mentioned, this  part is not important for me.

• Like 1

Love the work you're doing with the app, @Seba. Congrats and thanks for all your hard work ! The voice messages are a great and very useful addition. I haven't played around with the live map option yet, but look forward to doing so. 

Quick question on that front: are the total kms that show up on euc. world only for routes that are "visible to everyone", or does it show all kms of users who input their API, regardless of whether they share their routes or not? 

I wanted to report, for in case it's of use to you or anyone else, that with v. 2.0.27 I've been having constant connection/disconnection issues (20" connected, disconnects, reconnects after another 20 seconds approx., and so on) with the KS18XL. I recently installed the current version of KS's app to change light parameters and that's when the issues started (I don't run them at the same time, and force close the KS app before opening WheelLog, which is my main EUC app, needless to say :)

I've also been experiencing odd behaviour with my wheel, unrelated to WheelLog, like bad lift sensor calibration, constant beeping when left leaning against the wall, gyroscope turning off with very small lateral inclines, the warning speed suddenly being set, with no input from my part, to 31 km/h, and the KS app not letting me change it (very annoying), etc. As I mentioned, it wasn't until I installed the new KS app that these problems (and the disconnection issues in WheelLog) started to appear. 

I attribute it to important differences between the version /development stage of the KS app and the firmware, which must have caused communication problems that made the app mess up certain firmware parameters (uneducated guess, no coding knowledge) . I upgraded the wheel's firmware to v1.12 and not only did all the issues disappear, but no more disconnection problems with WheelLog either. I mention this for in case the info is of any use to you or any other riders experiencing similar problems :)

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 2

I almost forgot... I wanted to make a suggestion for the euc.world website, if you think its a good idea and it isn't too much of a pain in the ass to implement. 

It would be really cool, and useful in terms of further promoting the benefits of EUCing, if as well as the total combined kms ridden by all users, the page also displayed how many g/kg of CO2 have been saved (per day / week / in total). 

I found this data on the average emissions of a passenger car per mile.

Then again... I have no coding knowledge whatsoever so I have no idea whether it would involve a simple and minor addition (something like adding a couple of extra "cells" and a MS Excel-style formula: C1 = A1 x B1?) or whether it would be a major hassle... 

In any case,  I think it would be a cool addition to the site and thought I'd bring it up for in case it's of interest. :)

Once again, thanks for all your work. Am hoping I can make a donation to the cause some point soon, when I'm not quite as broke :)

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, George Iliev said:

Another Q I had today is: Is it possible to run a bluetooth headset audio and still maintain constant wheellog connection? Trying to decide if I need to get bt audio for my helmet to hear voice stats from WL.

I use wheellog together with my Bose ® SoundLink Micro Bluetooth-Speaker without any Problems. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8, if I remember correctly, you too. 😊 I'm not sure if it's depending on the phone model. It has something to do with Bluetooth Audio or Bluetooth Data connection, because if I connect with 2 Bluetooth-Audio devices at the same time, just one device playing the music and I have to switch manually the device. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, George Iliev said:

Can we have option for auto-sharing every ride to the live map?

Sure, I will add such option in upcoming release. When this option will be activated, it will automatically start uploading in private mode. i will also add option to hold uploading when connection with wheel is lost. I've found that it's easy to forget that you have WheelLog started. Now when you finish riding your wheel, WheelLog still logs your ride. This new option should prevent from logging eg. going back home by car :)

9 hours ago, George Iliev said:

Is it possible to run a bluetooth headset audio and still maintain constant wheellog connection? Trying to decide if I need to get bt audio for my helmet to hear voice stats from WL.

Of course :) Bluetooth audio is completely independent from Bluetooth Low Energy that is used for data connection. So both can be active at the same time.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, HermanTheGerman said:

But EUC-world datatransfer is a lot worse than before, only 1 or 2 trackpoints were transmitted, in an area with great 4G reception. Looks like that this part of the program doesn't work well with Android 8.0.

Hmm, I'm afraid that it's not a problem with Android 8.0, but some specific combination of WheelLog app and your phone settings is causing issues. I have confirmed that other phones with Android 8 and 9 works OK. I'll try to investigate this issue later so you will be able to fully benefit all the features of WheeLog.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, travsformation said:

Quick question on that front: are the total kms that show up on euc. world only for routes that are "visible to everyone", or does it show all kms of users who input their API, regardless of whether they share their routes or not? 

It's total mileage from all rides, regardless of their privacy setting.

I upgraded the wheel's firmware to v1.12 and not only did all the issues disappear, but no more disconnection problems with WheelLog either.

Oh, good to know - thank you! I still have both my KS-18L and XL on 1.11, but I don't have any issues. However I don't have any KS app installed on my phone, because they always tended to drain my battery quickly even when closed. Seems that even if you force close them, they are started in background by the system. I don't know if it's the case with newest KS app, I'll test it later. However I'm glad you have confirmed that WheelLog works with 1.12 firmware without issues. I was afraid that 1.12 brought some protocol changes that breaks WheelLog compatibility. Apparently it's not the case.

It would be really cool, and useful in terms of further promoting the benefits of EUCing, if as well as the total combined kms ridden by all users, the page also displayed how many g/kg of CO2 have been saved (per day / week / in total). 

Very good idea! :efefae4566: It's not a big deal to add this, and it will certainly show the positive environmental impact of our EUC rides. Thank you :thumbup: I'll add this soon.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Planemo said:

They don't show even in my Ninebot app so don't worry! I just thought that if they don't show in the manufacturers app then it wasn't likely they would show in a 3rd party app. Would be nice to view them against a decent level though, just to see if the wheel values are actually correct.

In my Ninebot app shows tilt and roll? It's buried in the wheel settings somewhere...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HermanTheGerman said:

+

1 hour ago, Seba said:

Hmm, I'm afraid that it's not a problem with Android 8.0, but some specific combination of WheelLog app and your phone settings is causing issues. I have confirmed that other phones with Android 8 and 9 works OK. I'll try to investigate this issue later so you will be able to fully benefit all the features of WheeLog.

I can report it works on Android 9 ok, but then again, location data differs when the phone is at power save mode, some vpn's work in the background, and more..

About the emissions, great idea, love that @Seba is so hyped about it. And i think "this" is what we should advertise first, that we don't emit, we electric :P 

p.s. sorry i was off these couple of days, too much work had to be done, and i haven't had a chance to go get my Z10 that is waiting for me at a friends place :w00t2:

• Like 2

@Seba I thought I should ask: Is there any possibility to use past logged data to upload tours to EUC.world? I'm logging GPS, speed, altitude, etc. verbosely at 5 sec increments. Do you think it would be possible to use that data to parse the information into euc.world by uploading the log into our profiles or idk?

3 hours ago, Seba said:

It's total mileage from all rides, regardless of their privacy setting.

Cool! Glad to hear that!

3 hours ago, Seba said:

Oh, good to know - thank you! I still have both my KS-18L and XL on 1.11, but I don't have any issues. However I don't have any KS app installed on my phone, because they always tended to drain my battery quickly even when closed. Seems that even if you force close them, they are started in background by the system. I don't know if it's the case with newest KS app, I'll test it later. However I'm glad you have confirmed that WheelLog works with 1.12 firmware without issues. I was afraid that 1.12 brought some protocol changes that breaks WheelLog compatibility. Apparently it's not the case.

Based on my experience, my recommendation would be: If you're happy with the wheel the way it is and aren't having any problems, don't bother upgrading the firmware, and especially, don't install the new KS app or you'll end up having to upgrade the firmware whether you like it or not. Who knows, it might not be the case for everyone, but I thought I'd leave a note of warning based on my experience.

So FTR, I'm in no way encouraging a firmware upgrade, nor the use of the KS app, for that matter :efee612b4b: 

I install it from  time to time, when I want to make a change I can't make using WheelLog, and then uninstall it immediately after. Since you mentioned it, I'd also had the MASSIVE battery drain with previous versions of the app, even if I force closed it, but that no longer seems to be the case with the current version (I think it's 3.3.3).

But as I said, the only reason I upgraded the firmware was because of the issues I was having. The only benefits I see of upgrading are being able to calibrate the lift sensor, a better app-firmware relationship and a couple of new lighting options (including the option to switch the side LEDs off). The release notes mention new speed adjustment encryption, being able to adjust speaker volume, changing tracks from the KS app when playing music through the wheel's speakers and fixing certain vibration issues. The only difference in riding I notice is what KS calls "cotton feel": even in expert mode there's a tiny bit of lag when accelerating, which feels like a small delay and then you're suddenly being pulled by a spring. Braking also seems to start off a bit softer, before fully kicking in. I don't find it annoying, but others have reported that they don't like the change, so it's worth bearing in mind before upgrading. Also worth noting, you have to recalibrate the wheel after upgrading.

Edited by travsformation

1 hour ago, George Iliev said:

@Seba I thought I should ask: Is there any possibility to use past logged data to upload tours to EUC.world? I'm logging GPS, speed, altitude, etc. verbosely at 5 sec increments. Do you think it would be possible to use that data to parse the information into euc.world by uploading the log into our profiles or idk?

An import function could be easy to implement by @Seba but tampering with the database in a way that wasn't intended since it was created it may produce problems. Well at least "if" implemented, with zero'ing out fields that are not needed etc, it surely take some time to make. And we don't know @Seba's schedule with the site and app, he adds things after we suggest'em but still he may have plans that we don't know yet.. ;) 

16 minutes ago, travsformation said:

If you're happy with the wheel the way it is and aren't having any problems, don't bother upgrading the firmware, and especially, don't install the new KS app or you'll end up having to upgrade the firmware whether you like it or not.

That is a universal theory with EUC software on boards and on devices, but still upgrade only after you verify from sources like this forum and/or friends. But what is UP with this new Windows 10 thinking of upgrading without informing the owner.. Come on KS!? !?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seba said:

I digged into this and got some interesting results. Seems that average tailpipe emission of 404 g/mi reported by EPA is significantly higher than value of 118 g/km as from JATO Dynamic reports for UE. This hovewer may be contributed to differences between US and EU. At the same time electricity generation in UE causes CO2 emmision of about 340 g/kWh.

I queried euc.world database for some almost-real-world figures. In result I got information that all euc.world EUCers was riding with mean speed of 20 km/h and their mean power usage was about 524 watts, so they needed about 26 Watts per kilometer. Because many wheels doesn't report negative power during regenerative braking, we can assume that real W/km is smaller. I think we can assume realistic value of 40 km of EUC range from 1 kWh, including all losses. So this converts to emission of 8,5 g of CO2 per km when riding on EUC. 

From above figures we can assume that by switching from car to EUC we can save 110 g of CO2 per each kilometer. And as for this moment all euc.world users travelled 3389 km, they saved over 372 kg of CO2 :) US riders contributed even more if we use EPA emission.

Thanks for doing the maths for us : )

It felt great to realize that since I switched from my car to EUC, over a period of 2.5 years I have prevented the emission of almost 2 tonnes of CO2 : )

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Seba said:

I digged into this and got some interesting results. Seems that average tailpipe emission of 404 g/mi reported by EPA is significantly higher than value of 118 g/km as from JATO Dynamic reports for UE. This hovewer may be contributed to differences between US and EU

Hahaha yeah, 1.9 litre V6's vs 5 litre V8s..... :roflmao:

7 hours ago, Seba said:

At the same time electricity generation in UE causes CO2 emmision of about 340 g/kWh. 

I queried euc.world database for some almost-real-world figures. In result I got information that all euc.world EUCers was riding with mean speed of 20 km/h and their mean power usage was about 524 watts, so they needed about 26 Watts per kilometer. Because many wheels doesn't report negative power during regenerative braking, we can assume that real W/km is smaller. I think we can assume realistic value of 40 km of EUC range from 1 kWh, including all losses. So this converts to emission of 8,5 g of CO2 per km when riding on EUC. 

From above figures we can assume that by switching from car to EUC we can save 110 g of CO2 per each kilometer. And as for this moment all euc.world users travelled 3389 km, they saved over 372 kg of CO2 :) US riders contributed even more if we use EPA emission.

I'm glad you're enthusiastic about the idea, and I take my hat off to you, sir, you took my idea several steps further than I'd envisioned! Nice one!  :cheers:

And 372 kg of CO2 so far (and that's only since you released the euc.world version of WheelLlog)....Great!   :thumbup:

The only thing you didn't take into account is that there are folks like me who hire our electricity from co-ops or new-generation suppliers that provide (certified) 100% green energy ;):D

Edited by travsformation

14 hours ago, George Iliev said:

Is it possible to run a bluetooth headset audio and still maintain constant wheellog connection? Trying to decide if I need to get bt audio for my helmet to hear voice stats from WL.

I've been using WheelLog and streaming music via Bluetooth to my in-helmet headset simultaneously for quite some time with no issues whatsoever.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, George Iliev said:

In my Ninebot app shows tilt and roll? It's buried in the wheel settings somewhere...

I can find the page where tilt and roll is shown (along with all the other details of the wheel - battery/serial no etc) but the tilt/roll values have never showed anything other than zeros.

3 minutes ago, Planemo said:

I can find the page where tilt and roll is shown (along with all the other details of the wheel - battery/serial no etc) but the tilt/roll values have never showed anything other than zeros.

On one s2 it has perfect readout for both