WheelLog Android App

palachzzz

20 minutes ago, Lord Gotham said:

Hi wheellog 2.2.0.6 and ks18l v1.12 and galaxy S3 gear frontier 

This works with Pebble in the way @Marty Backe shows on this movie. You have to pair your King Song BT speakers. Then WheelLog will play bell sound through your wheel speakers. However there's a catch - WheelLog will also play voice messages through these speakers :-) From my point of view, which is very personal and may be wrong, it's easier to wear a small bell on finger than to use Pebble to ring the bell.

Anyway, currently I'm unable to assure any further support for Pebble and Tizen (details below). I try to be very careful with my development process to not to break any existing compatiblity, but I don't have any of these watches so can't test new WheelLog versions against these watches. From what I know Pebble support is intact, it's possible that Android 9 brought some changes as @mr.ks wrote. I don't know. Tizen is a different thing - I got information that something is broken and Samsung Gear Sx watches no longer works with newest WheelLog versions. 

Unfortunately, I don't have Pebble nor Samsung Gear Sx :(. I already asked many people to lend me Tizen watch for a week or two, but no results. Garmin or Polar watches seems to be much more popular among my friends. Maybe some day I will receive enough donations to buy a Tizen, Pebble or WearOS watch just to add/maintain support in WheelLog (personally I'm not a fan of smartwatches), but so far only four generous people decided to support WheelLog's development through a donations of 52 EUR in total.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Lefteris said:

Just finished the Greek translation, packed up the zip file and will send the email in a minute or two.

Another note i'd like to add about hours and minutes, for values like :

• duration_fmt_min
  • duration_fmt_hr
  • duration_fmt_hr_and_min

There are different words for a single hour/minute and more than on hours/minutes in many languages, even in English. It's not that it's bad, it just seams strange you know that you may stride for example 1 hour and 1 minute, and says 1 hours and 1 minutes...

Would you like me to open an issue on github about it?

Yes, I'm aware of this. Even in Polish there are three possibilities, but... it seems that Google speech engine understands "hr" and "min" as an universal acronym and parses it according to the language rules :) So please leave hr as hr, min as min and we will see if Greek speech engine will correctly change it to right words.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seba said:

This works with Pebble in the way @Marty Backe shows on this movie. You have to pair your King Song BT speakers. Then WheelLog will play bell sound through your wheel speakers. However there's a catch - WheelLog will also play voice messages through these speakers :-) From my point of view, which is very personal and may be wrong, it's easier to wear a small bell on finger than to use Pebble to ring the bell.

Anyway, currently I'm unable to assure any further support for Pebble and Tizen (details below). I try to be very careful with my development process to not to break any existing compatiblity, but I don't have any of these watches so can't test new WheelLog versions against these watches. From what I know Pebble support is intact, it's possible that Android 9 brought some changes as @mr.ks wrote. I don't know. Tizen is a different thing - I got information that something is broken and Samsung Gear Sx watches no longer works with newest WheelLog versions. 

Unfortunately, I don't have Pebble nor Samsung Gear Sx :(. I already asked many people to lend me Tizen watch for a week or two, but no results. Garmin or Polar watches seems to be much more popular among my friends. Maybe some day I will receive enough donations to buy a Tizen, Pebble or WearOS watch just to add/maintain support in WheelLog (personally I'm not a fan of smartwatches), but so far only four generous people decided to support WheelLog's development through a donations of 52 EUR in total.

|This is a pledge|

I will upgrade to an android ware device in about 2 months from now, and i will lend you my Pebble Time for testing, for as long as it's needed. It's a color model and it works perfectly!

I hope you are located in Europe!!

11 minutes ago, Lefteris said:

|This is a pledge|

I will upgrade to an android ware device in about 2 months from now, and i will lend you my Pebble Time for testing, for as long as it's needed. It's a color model and it works perfectly!

I hope you are located in Europe!!

Yup, I'm located in Poland. But I think we can work together in checking Android 9 compatibility, so there will be no need to send your watch from Greece To Poland. You could just set up Android Studio and clone my GitHub repo. I don't know your expertise in Java & Android programming, but from your posts I see that you're at least well skilled in general IT, so I'm pretty sure you could handle it :)

• Upvote 1

I have jb setup but I'll check if I can build properly .. what is your dev environment? I use Mac OS primarily.. and about the pledge .. it has been decided not going back now.. as soon as I get the new one I'll send you my pebble time..

Sorry I'm on the road with voice dictation and such..

Edit, I also use a finger bell 😂

Edited by Lefteris

12 minutes ago, andress said:

I have just sent you Czech translation :)

@Ivan Jedenásty Už brzy se dočkáš verze v češtině ;)

Thank you @andress :-) So I'm so happy that I can annouce that within just few days we will have a WheelLog in following languages:

• English
  • Polish
  • French
  • Spanish
  • Bulgarian
  • Greek
  • Czech
I only listed languages that are already in the app or I got translations to add (even if they need some polishing). Now I'm finishing Ninebot One S2 support and some changes to UI, so maybe someone will make another translations? German? Russian? Swedish? Finnish? Dutch? Romanian? Italian? Hungarian? These are the first that come to my mind when I think about some of you ;-) Of course, I hope there will be more languages.
Edited by Seba
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Seba said:

..... , so maybe someone will make another translations? German? Russian? Swedish? Finnish? Dutch? Romanian? Italian? Hungarian? These are the first that come to my mind when I think about some of you ;-) Of course, I hope there will be more languages.

Hi, I will do the German...

Has anyone tried to run Wheellog on an Android 7.1.1 smartwatch e.g. Kospet Hope? Will it possible to run the normal App? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seba said:

And for those who are interested how WheelLog developments site looks [...]

Man o man, now i want to do a workplace post :P 

I am unlucky to work the nightshift in the store today cause the night guy is not feeling well, if it had time i could have mashed up something.

Anyway..

I will have my Z10 in a couple of days, i'm gonna need to buy a sniffer too :D

giphy.gif

Give me a link to buy a board like that from Europe, or maybe search an app for that cause i've got a rooted phone and i can "cap" data from bluetooth!?

Next. I've setup a virtual machine for developing so i can make drastic changes and then go back into specific snapshots, so i've also downloaded android studio

gS5gQBx.png

This for today cause i don't have more time.

For tomorrow, i'll grab your code and test it if i can build and try some fonts, i've got so many to test that support greek/cyrilic/etc.

I'd suggest to also add translations on Github so more people can elaborate on future value fields etc.

As for my area of expertise, i'm a bit rusty but i want to play with some code and de-dust

njYtofd.png

:P

3 minutes ago, Lefteris said:

Give me a link to buy a board like that from Europe, or maybe search an app for that cause i've got a rooted phone and i can "cap" data from bluetooth!?

You need one of these, they are not expensive:

More info at https://www.nordicsemi.com/?sc_itemid={655FA723-4404-4FBE-8062-7C5C5DCDF36E}. And you don't need rooted phone :) Just Wireshark and one of listed boards with special firmware.

8 minutes ago, Lefteris said:

I'd suggest to also add translations on Github so more people can elaborate on future value fields etc.

I'm always adding translations to GitHub :-)

9 minutes ago, Lefteris said:

As for my area of expertise, i'm a bit rusty but i want to play with some code and de-dust

I was rusty also, as I was mainly Windows developer with embedded systems experience (ARM etc.), but... it's never too late to try something new :) Necessity is the mother of invention :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Seba said:

I will get some but first let me clarify..

And you don't need rooted phone :) Just Wireshark and one of listed boards with special firmware.

I know that in order to test an app you don't need a rooted phone, i mentioned the "root" cause i can wire-cap bluetooth/wifi signals natively as a rooted phone user, i may not need a board! So i'm gonna do some tests and then if it doesn't work, i'll buy one like yours! ;) 

I'm always adding translations to GitHub :-)

I think i'm blind or something :P 

I was rusty also, as I was mainly Windows developer with embedded systems experience (ARM etc.), but... it's never too late to try something new :) Necessity is the mother of invention :)

I "was" a cross-platform developer originating from the sysadmin section, supporting Naval/Shipping/Broker Companies as IT but now, don't ask.. it's a sensitive subject!

I'll send you my contact info on pm so we can elaborate properly on the project! ;) 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Seba said:

Thank you @andress :-) So I'm so happy that I can annouce that within just few days we will have a WheelLog in following languages:

• English
  • Polish
  • French
  • Spanish
  • Bulgarian
  • Greek
  • Czech
I only listed languages that are already in the app or I got translations to add (even if they need some polishing). Now I'm finishing Ninebot One S2 support and some changes to UI, so maybe someone will make another translations? German? Russian? Swedish? Finnish? Dutch? Romanian? Italian? Hungarian? These are the first that come to my mind when I think about some of you ;-) Of course, I hope there will be more languages.

Seba,

in attach first version of italian translation.

Italian friends are encouraged to improve the translation I prepared quickly. Winmerge software is nice to compare side by side english and italian strings

Fabio

PS: Could be nice also to have Wheellog working with Android Wear OS.  There are some old threads about it. I don't own one of them, but main issue was about display turning off, and information layout.

wheellog-italian.zip

Edited by fabio70mi
apostrophes not preceded by backslash
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Seba said:

And for those who are interested how WheelLog developments site looks :) But please, don't think there is always such order on my desk. Just for the sake of photos going out for public I managed to move all the stuff out of camera view :whistling: The same applies to beer bottles... :cheers:

20190429-190101.thumb.jpg.33d128db220ba42deed5e4408c8733a1.jpg

Above you can see my workstation with Android Studio open on main display and Wireshark protocol analyzer on the auxiliary screen above.

20190429-190153.thumb.jpg.51eb00cdd1383dbc6e48b32628c1c281.jpg

This small board is a Bluetooth Low Energy sniffer based on Nordic Semiconductor's nRF52 Development Kit. It's task is to capture Bluetooth packets sent between the wheel and original Ninebot app or WheelLog app. This way I can reverse engineer communication protocol and ensure that WheelLog will communicate with the wheel in the same manner like OEM app. What's interesting, newer Ninebot devices (both wheels and also e-scooters) use Nordic chips for BLE communication.

20190429-190118.thumb.jpg.8a05d30c90aab98d9f7165c2d39f64c3.jpg

Wireshark protocol analyzer decoding communication between app and the wheel. It gets the raw Bluetooth packets from BLE sniffer and decodes it so I can figure out all the details of wheel communication protocol.

20190429-190134.thumb.jpg.96e5ace53105c853a3dec4c139b7a20e.jpg

...and the most important, the "patient" here - Ninebot One S2 :) Hidden under desk and beeping from time to time, to remind me to move it slightly to prevent auto shutdown :D

Great job. Thank you for your time and effort.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fabio70mi said:

Seba,

in attach first version of italian translation.

Italian friends are encouraged to improve the translation I prepared quickly. Winmerge software is nice to compare side by side english and italian strings

Fabio

PS: Could be nice also to have Wheellog working with Android Wear OS.  There are some old threads about it. I don't own one of them, but main issue was about display turning off, and information layout.

wheellog-italian.zip

Hi!

Hello! I made a small revision of fabio71mi 's translation, arranging some small oversights. I hope I was helpful!

wheellog-italian-rev1.zip

• Upvote 1

Hi @Seba!

Your work is very interesting, I don't if you took a look to previous works about the protocol. From Gorina, even though there some mistakes about the locations of the variables and their meaning. Moreover the BT strings to check or set their value.

Only to make sure you use your time as best as you can.

I also suggested few cosmetic changes (settable font size on the main screen, an option to fix orientation,...). Of course they can be easily achieved through third party software... But if you are working on it... 😜

GMOne

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Seba said:

I've prepared WheelLog "alpha" version, that brings following new features:

• Bulgarian, Czech and Italian languages
  • Ninebot One S2 support

APK installer can be downloaded from https://euc.world/downloads/wheellog-eucworld-2.0.26-20190430-internal.apk

This version is intended for testing of newly added translations. Kind request to the Ninebot Z users - please let me know if your wheel works as with previous version. I had to make some changes in Ninebot Z code. I hope nothing is broken, but I don't have a Ninebot Z to test so I need your confirmation. Thanks in advance.

WOW !!

I tested a bit the italian version and I'm sending to you a new revision with some changes from rev1.

Also I found this 3 issues:

- The strings for the following string name should be the same, also in english and other languages

<string name="speed_settings">Impostazioni Velocità</string>
<string name="general_preferences_title">Impostazioni generali</string>

- Inside speed_setting/general_preference_title the first item is the following and is not translatable (at least, I've not found):

"Show when locked"
"Show main window even if the screen is locked"

- Could be nice to have a menu to change WheelLog language without changing Android system settings.

Fabio

wheellog-italian-rev2.zip

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lefteris said:

Do you have a list of what "does" work with the Z10 models!?

And what features are in your near future list, plus maybe a list of things that wont be supported, ever!(?)

There is only basic support of Z6/Z8/Z10 in WheelLog - reading of live data: voltage, current, distance, speed, power, temperature, serial number and firmware version. This also applies to Ninebot One S2 as for now, but I will add another parameters. There are no wheel settings and other options that can be found in OEM app.

Definitely there is no list of things that won't be supported :). I'm also unable to provide any definitive list of features that will be added in nearest future. The problem with WheelLog development is that it's like a patchwork. Each developer added his code in his own style and using different design patterns, without any coordination or predefined architecture. So the most hard work in my last days was not to add new features, but not to break existing ones.

The worst thing on collaborative projects is "not" to include proper documentation in your code.. i know what you are saying... :'( 

As soon as my Z10 gets here, and home some rides with it at first :P i'll try my best to help this project!

From what i've seen the app doesn't work with bluetooth disabled. Maybe someone wants to just open the app to use the livemap feature using gps..

8 minutes ago, Lefteris said:

From what i've seen the app doesn't work with bluetooth disabled. Maybe someone wants to just open the app to use the livemap feature using gps..

Disabled or absent? Because you should not need to have BT enabled in app to use live map feature. However WheelLog won't work on devices without Bluetooth. This is very rare to find such old equipment, so I assume you encountered this using Android emulator? ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seba said:

Disabled or absent? Because you should not need to have BT enabled in app to use live map feature. However WheelLog won't work on devices without Bluetooth. This is very rare to find such old equipment, so I assume you encountered this using Android emulator? ;)

Yep!

13 hours ago, fabio70mi said:

WOW !!

I tested a bit the italian version and I'm sending to you a new revision with some changes from rev1.

Also I found this 3 issues:

- The strings for the following string name should be the same, also in english and other languages

<string name="speed_settings">Impostazioni Velocità</string>
<string name="general_preferences_title">Impostazioni generali</string>

- Inside speed_setting/general_preference_title the first item is the following and is not translatable (at least, I've not found):

"Show when locked"
"Show main window even if the screen is locked"

- Could be nice to have a menu to change WheelLog language without changing Android system settings.

Fabio

wheellog-italian-rev2.zip

One more thing:

Wheel is switched on, I open WheelLog, it connects directly to the wheel, I slide to settings,

and Wheel setting is inactive, and I have to open another setting and back to activate Wheel settings.

Is this also for everybody ?

Fabio

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fabio70mi said:

One more thing:

Wheel is switched on, I open WheelLog, it connects directly to the wheel, I slide to settings,

and Wheel setting is inactive, and I have to open another setting and back to activate Wheel settings.

Is this also for everybody ?

Fabio

Yes It is a known bug.

• Upvote 1