WheelLog Android App

palachzzz

I just got my pebble watch, so anyone know what the exact process is to getting this thing working with wheellog.

Do I need to use rebble.io or is it not necessary.

Is the process something like:

-install pebble app on phone

-connect to watch

-go to rebble.io and follow instructions there on migrating services to rebble

-reset watch to factory defaults

-load pebble app to watch through rebble app store

and then what would I do, or is this not the process at all.

Do I need to keep the pebble app on my phone after switching to rebble.  Is a rebble app required on my phone too

I'm trying to follow comments from this thread and the linked one but it's not very clear, I imagine I can figure it out but if someone knows the detailed process that would be great so I don't have to spend a day trial and error..ing it.

I think these people have got pebble working with wheellog: 

@Lukasz @WARPed1701D @Marcglider @Marty Backe @Steve Persona @Daniel Hollinghurst @MacPara @fryman @fbhb

not trying to call anyone out specifically but yeah any comments/thoughts?

I'll make a log of my steps to get it working and then comment to this thread with what exactly I did so any future EUCophytes can use it for reference to help any others who might want to try out using a pebble.

Also you can still buy pebble times new from Walmart for ~80$ pebble time

45 minutes ago, Heyzeus said:

I think these people have got pebble working with wheellog: 

@Lukasz @WARPed1701D @Marcglider @Marty Backe @Steve Persona @Daniel Hollinghurst @MacPara @fryman @fbhb

not trying to call anyone out specifically but yeah any comments/thoughts?

I'll make a log of my steps to get it working and then comment to this thread with what exactly I did so any future EUCophytes can use it for reference to help any others who might want to try out using a pebble.

Also you can still buy pebble times new from Walmart for ~80$ pebble time

@Heyzeus you are correct in stating that I (along with others mentioned) have WheelLog working with a Pebble watch, but in my case I was able to get it all set up whilst the Pebble Server was still active.  You might have luck in also tagging @RoberAce, as I think he may have got a Pebble working more recently (not 100% sure though) by using the Rebble site.  Hope you get it sorted one way or another and I'm sure someone that has actually used the Rebble servers will be able to add their comment shortly.

• Like 1

I have a Pebble watch working with Wheel Log, but only the main screen (speed, temp, battery). The second screen with ride time, max speed etc won't update. Sometimes the BT disconnect icon is displaying top right of the watch face even though the speed is still updating. Today was my first attempt. I have a Pebble Steel and a Pebble Time, and currently can only get things working on the Pebble Time. I think that is related more to Rebble functionally than anything. The Steel has been in a drawer for years, the Time probably was connected once after the Rebble service took over but also not my current smartwatch. I'll be troubleshooting them and will share if I have any success, but otherwise also adding that I'm a user and keen/appreciative for any tips. I was just pointed to this thread, so will read back of course.

I can say even what I have got working is great. I haven't been riding long (700km) but I do already have a gut feel of what 20/25/30 kph feels like, however it's super cool having the speed, temp, battery on your wrist all the same. Would recommeng anyone else who has a Pebble giving it a shot.

Edited by Mishkin
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Heyzeus said:

the exact process is to getting this thing working with wheellog

The process is more or less as you wrote it - You have to set Pebble on your phone correctly first with rebble, then use wheellog (also from playstore as this is most current version there thanks to international cooperation and work of @palachzzz )

This whole proces is only valid for android phone of course.

From playstore - try to install  "Pebble alternate App Store helper"  and follow the guidelines..

Pebble watch is still THE BEST solution for the unicycle speed readout - great visibility in the sun, waterproof and so on

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mishkin said:

I have a Pebble watch working with Wheel Log, but only the main screen (speed, temp, battery). The second screen with ride time, max speed etc won't update. Sometimes the BT disconnect icon is displaying top right of the watch face even though the speed is still updating. Today was my first attempt. I have a Pebble Steel and a Pebble Time, and currently can only get things working on the Pebble Time. I think that is related more to Rebble functionally than anything. The Steel has been in a drawer for years, the Time probably was connected once after the Rebble service took over but also not my current smartwatch. I'll be troubleshooting them and will share if I have any success, but otherwise also adding that I'm a user and keen/appreciative for any tips. I was just pointed to this thread, so will read back of course.

I can say even what I have got working is great. I haven't been riding long (700km) but I do already have a gut feel of what 20/25/30 kph feels like, however it's super cool having the speed, temp, battery on your wrist all the same. Would recommeng anyone else who has a Pebble giving it a shot.

Yes, the 2nd screen does not update. I told @palachzzz that one of his updates broke that functionality. Maybe it'll be fixed some day :confused1:

• Upvote 2

Charged my pebble time, looked at the screen to inspect it and noticed that on darker screens half the screen has this weird slightly darker tint than the rest of the screen.

le sigh...this is why I can't have nice things

Why can't I just get nice things that work on the first go without having to be returned/exchanged.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heyzeus said:

Charged my pebble time, looked at the screen to inspect it and noticed that on darker screens half the screen has this weird slightly darker tint than the rest of the screen.

le sigh...this is why I can't have nice things

Why can't I just get nice things that work on the first go without having to be returned/exchanged.

My Pebble watch screen gets corrupted a lot, but as a whole, it works great. I don't care too much about 'pretty', I just want the vital wheel statistics.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

My Pebble watch screen gets corrupted a lot, but as a whole, it works great. I don't care too much about 'pretty', I just want the vital wheel statistics.

Easy to fix. Had the same issue.

Open the back panel. Add a .5mm tape shim above the battery to put pressure on the elastomeric connector of the display and voila!

There is a video on the web about the fix.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 1/12/2019 at 5:38 PM, Marty Backe said:

Yes, the 2nd screen does not update. I told @palachzzz that one of his updates broke that functionality. Maybe it'll be fixed some day :confused1:

Thanks, then yes the instructions as they were posted a few messages up do the job, and my Pebble Time works as much with Wheel Log as it currently can based on what actually works within Wheel Log. Unless you have an out of date OG Pebble firmware that the new Rebble service can't migrate to, which was the case for my OG Pebble Steel... in which case this link may help anyone: https://github.com/Freeyourgadget/Gadgetbridge/wiki/Pebble-Firmware-updates

• Like 1

Samsung s2 and s3 watches are compatible with Wheellog also for KS16S and KS18S, but not KS18L. Download Wheellog to your phone and Samusng watch, phone will connect to watch and viola, data will show speed in km, distance in km and battery percentage left. Or you want to get fancier, try Everysight smart glass for bicyclists which show you almost everything but battery percentage.

Edited by scubadragosan

Bit sucky though,  I bought an S2,   sold it again.   It wouldn't maintain focus on the app,  kept going back to the default watch screen.   I love my pebble 2 HR,  for using with Wheellog,  its the best,  and even the pebble original works brilliantly with wheellog (I have both).   

Be very careful if buying a pebble 2 though,    we bought one for my wife,  it had been repaired badly with sugru buttons that disintegrated within a week and the watch died due to water ingress (as she didn't notice the buttons deteriorating).    So if buying one - which will be secondhand most likely,  check the buttons carefully.

On 1/12/2019 at 7:38 AM, Marty Backe said:

I need to understand in which version it was work.

Just now, palachzzz said:

I need to understand in which version it was work.

I know. Just haven't had the time. Need to uninstall, install, test, uninstall, install, test ... 

Someone needs to buy you a Pebble watch. It's so integral to the useful functionality of WheelLog, the developer of WheelLog should have one to test against.

Got my new pebble time watch this one has no problems so yayyy!

Setup was pretty easy for me on my Pixel 1 XL

Already had wheellog installed so didn't need to install that.

-Went to rebble.io , clicked on "your account", chose to use my gmail to login/create my account.

-Downloaded the pebble app to my phone

-Downloaded pebble alternate app store helper

-Made sure pebble watch was on and on it's first screen you see the first time you turn it on or after a factory reset.

-Followed instructions on pebble alternate app store helper, skipped the subscription part as I don't care about weather and voice dictation.

-Did the last step on pebble alternate app store helper, that took me to a link on rebble.io, clicked the button at the bottom of that page and it did it's magic to the pebble app (redirecting pebble app to rebble's servers)

-Pebble app opened and showed the rebble logo and get started button, clicked that and followed instruction to set up my watch.

-Made minor preferences changes to my watch but nothing affecting connectivity settings or anything like that.

-Went to the app page on the pebble app(which is now connected to rebble) and searched for wheellog, clicked add and it installed it to my watch.

-turned on my gotway mcm4, opened wheellog on my phone, let it connect to mcm4, clicked the watch icon on wheellog and my watch switched to the wheellog screen and started showing speed and temp and battery info in realtime during my lift test of the wheel.

Nice, works.

You can delete the pebble alternate app store helper when done setting it up, is it's only purpose is to give you directions and links/doesn't have any functionality once the necessary changes have been made to link the pebble app to rebble's servers

Can confirm what @Marty Backe said about the second screen not updating.  Not sure if marty said it only updates when not in focus or doesn't update at all.  But in my case the second screen with ride time, distance, top speed doesn't update at all.  Went for a short ride and at the end of my ride it still showed 0 on everything.  

So, this works well with my Pixel 1 XL which is on android 9 right now. 

thanks for your work on this @palachzzz, if you are still working on your own wheel log app I'll be excited to see it when it's done.

Edited by Heyzeus
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Tony Morales said:

Can somebody sum up what is the current status of the smart-watch market for monitoring EUCs?

What watches are supported by wheelLog?

Anything else than a pebble available?

WheelLog only supports Pebble watches. Any of the latest editions of the Pebble watch work - they all have the same functionality, they only differ in style.

Pebble is shut down.

Anyway, a 4" inch android phone in a wrist band works fine for me running full wheellog android app. 

I am getting ZTE Blade L110  to monitor wheel's temperature.

20160804134626_228fc52b.jpeg

I am getting a wrist strap (something like)

04ec017b42a0056705bbe110.L.jpg

Just wanna say thanks to WheelLog developers for supporting both portrait and landscape views. Love it. Thanks guys

There are ebay stores that sell Pebble Time in excelent condition, i bought mine 20 days ago and it's amazing quality and, yes, everything works!! Read the following from 
https://www.wareable.com/smartwatches/rebble-review-pebble-web-services-6349

Rebble was set up by ex-Pebble developers, and Pebble founder Eric Migicovsky is a fan. The idea is to try to re-instate features that were lost on 19 July. Your Pebble watch will still work now the servers are shut, but unless you switch to Rebble you will have to wave bye-bye to features that require cloud support, which Fitbit did keep open for longer than it had initially promised. So features like voice recognition support, SMS and email replies, Timeline pins from third-party apps and access to Pebble's app store and forum will now be gone.

Rebble was set up around the time that Pebble decided to cease operations. The essential aim was to keep the platform that powered many of its services and features live through the help of Pebble developers and enthusiasts. 

In February 2018, Rebble announced Rebble Web Services, its solution to keep core elements of the Pebble ecosystem live. This included offering an app store, firmware updates and the ability to create mobile apps. The hope was to get as many of the services as possible live in time for the Fitbit server shutdown.

Now, the service is up and running it is simply a case of clicking a link on the Rebble website from your phone to switch over from Pebble to Rebble services, and it works with existing iOS and Android companion Pebble apps. That should mean there's nothing additional to download or install to make the switchover. There may be some firmware updates issued to make things go over smoothly, but these install automatically.

If anybody is interested about the ebay listing 

Spoiler

here :P

Edited by Lefteris
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Hansolo said:

I use a GALAXY WATCH with WhellLog, there is a Tyzen app that show speed, distance and %

OK so when Mary Backe said Wheellog only supports Pebble that was incorrect. Your experience is that Wheellogg also works on Tizen (Samsung's wrist watches) ... ...and that it in addition to Wheellog there is also another Tizen app that can do similar tasks (likely somewhat simpler).

Edited by Enthusiast
To clarify myself