WheelLog Android App

palachzzz

The 35kph "unlock" only works on the speed setting. It does not override the V8 hard coded safety settings. If you ride on the heavier side, or with lower pressure on the tire It Will put a strain on the SCV power system and its electronics are programmed to act in order to counter It. It does that by tilting and/or alarming.

You can find evidence of that on Wheellog logs. 

On a side note: I weight 75 kg, usually Ride with a 6kg backpack. My V8 rides smoothly above 30kph as long as It has over 40% battery charge.

6 minutes ago, Jonesq said:

Are there any plans for a WearOS version of the app?

I doubt that there are any plans for WheelLog. But @palachzzz has commented that he is working on a derivative app (probably to sell). Maybe that will have wider device support?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2018 at 4:32 PM, André Barbosa said:

The 35kph "unlock" only works on the speed setting. It does not override the V8 hard coded safety settings. If you ride on the heavier side, or with lower pressure on the tire It Will put a strain on the SCV power system and its electronics are programmed to act in order to counter It. It does that by tilting and/or alarming.

You can find evidence of that on Wheellog logs. 

On a side note: I weight 75 kg, usually Ride with a 6kg backpack. My V8 rides smoothly above 30kph as long as It has over 40% battery charge.

Hey André, by "smoothly" you mean you get no tilt back? I weight 80kg, no backpack and I get the alarm and tilt at 30 with 40psi and very gradual acceleration. Sounds different to what you are describing.

Edited by JyYyM

7 hours ago, JyYyM said:

Hey André, by "smoothly" you mean you get no tilt back? I weight 80kg, no backpack and I get the alarm and tilt at 30 with 40psi and very gradual acceleration. Sounds different to what you are describing.

Positive. No tilt back at all. Though you re responsible for paying attention to alarms.

16 hours ago, André Barbosa said:

Positive. No tilt back at all. Though you re responsible for paying attention to alarms.

I see, that is the difference, I always get tilt back at 29 or 30 even after setting tilt back speed at 35 in WL and even when riding with 100% battery.  :(

Battery Percentage Not Correct on KS18XL

During a long duration KS18XL range test, I discovered that the latest released version of WheelLog is not reporting the correct battery level. Towards the end of the ride WheelLog would indicate that I had ~5% battery charge whereas in reality I had ~20%.

The battery level (even down to 5%) for my Gotway wheels seems accurate.

I haven't had the opportunity to completely test my KS14S with WheelLog so I don't know if this is unique to the KS18XL or is a problem with all KingSong wheels and WheelLog.

On 1/2/2019 at 7:45 PM, scubadragosan said:

Does anyone know when using Wheellog for KS18L, why the battery display doesn't work? It just stays at 100% all the time. This app has no problems with KS18S.

You use old version of app, KS-18L is a first 84V wheel by KingSong, and it doesn't supperted by old versions of WheelLog.

On 1/4/2019 at 10:04 PM, Marty Backe said:

During a long duration KS18XL range test, I discovered that the latest released version of WheelLog is not reporting the correct battery level. Towards the end of the ride WheelLog would indicate that I had ~5% battery charge whereas in reality I had ~20%.

I don't know how new KingSong app calculates percents for their 84v wheels (KS-18L/XL), that's why I use another formula for KS-18L/XL (and only for these wheels). 

Also, if you want to make range test, please note that KS-18L/XL show wrong distance (including total), it is 17% more than in reality, please use GPS for range test on these wheels (you can find it in WheelLog Logs if you turn on "GPS location" in WL settings).

P.S. did you tried "20% in reality"?) how long distance you made with that?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, palachzzz said:

You use old version of app, KS-18L is a first 84V wheel by KingSong, and it doesn't supperted by old versions of WheelLog.

I don't know how new KingSong app calculates percents for their 84v wheels (KS-18L/XL), that's why I use another formula for KS-18L/XL (and only for these wheels). 

Also, if you want to make range test, please note that KS-18L/XL show wrong distance (including total), it is 17% more than in reality, please use GPS for range test on these wheels (you can find it in WheelLog Logs if you turn on "GPS location" in WL settings).

P.S. did you tried "20% in reality"?) how long distance you made with that?

I always use a separate GPS tracker, so my range value was accurate. I ran out of daylight so I couldn't measure how much farther I could travel. But I never heard the low battery alarm on the KS18XL. From my experience with many wheels, I feel confident that the KingSong app was reporting an accurate battery level (20%) vs the WheelLog (5%).

I hope to do another test where I run it from 100-percent to 5-percent (as reported by the KingSong app) to see the total range.

I just wanted to let you know that WheelLog is not reporting battery percentages accurately for the KS18XL wheel. It's OK, but when a XL rider is getting low on battery, they should use the KingSong app to determine what their real remaining mileage is.

P.s. While I have you here, I've been meaning to mention that on the Pebble watch, I never get updates on the second screen (total distance, etc.). This use to work, but after one of the WheelLog updates the 2nd screen stopped functioning. Do you know about this?

• Like 2

Is the alarm on the wheellog app supposed to be audible when enabled.

My phone will vibrate when an alarm is triggered but there is no sound.  Is there some setting to enable an audible alarm that i'm missing.

I find it a bit hard to notice or sometimes don't immediately notice the vibration when my phone is in my pocket.

Other behavior I've noticed:

When speed alarm 1 is triggered, it will vibrate continuously until the speed drops below the threshold.

When speed alarm 2 or 3 is triggered, it will just have one alarm/vibrate the phone a couple times and then cease vibrating even if i'm still going over the alarm threshold speeds.  If I drop below the threshold speed and then go past it again it will retrigger the second and third alarms for their speed thresholds respectively.

Not sure if that behavior is intentional, but...I have to say I rather like it.  I can set alarm one as my last ditch alarm at 20mph, where I know i'm going too fast even if my wheel hasn't triggered the power alarm yet.  And I can set alarm 2 to go off at 15 mph and alarm 3 to go off at 18 mph.  Which is a good way of getting some speed awareness without having to pull out my phone to look at it.

I'm using a Pixel 1 XL with android 9 and my wheel is a gotway MCM 4.  I do not have the "my wheel is an MCM" checked in the wheel settings as I'm assuming that's for the more recent MCM wheels as if I check it, the distance/speed values no longer match up with the gotway app values (I'm assuming the gotway values are correct for my wheel)

14 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

From my experience with many wheels, I feel confident that the KingSong app was reporting an accurate battery level (20%) vs the WheelLog (5%).

I disagree with you, because Kingsong uses an extremely stupid formula that contradicts the physics of the discharge of lithium batteries, I described it earlier, and also I have discharge logs with the remaining distance. With 5% you had 66.5v (3.325v per cell) you can’t drive even 5 km with strongly limited speed. But if I knew the formula that Kingsong uses, I would use it, as I did for other wheels, just to avoid such questions and disputes.

14 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

P.s. While I have you here, I've been meaning to mention that on the Pebble watch, I never get updates on the second screen (total distance, etc.). This use to work, but after one of the WheelLog updates the 2nd screen stopped functioning. Do you know about this?

I did not know about such a problem. As I do not have a Pebble, I can't check it. Can you check the version of the WheelLog on which it work?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Heyzeus said:

Is the alarm on the wheellog app supposed to be audible when enabled.

Not yet.

7 hours ago, Heyzeus said:

I do not have the "my wheel is an MCM" checked in the wheel settings as I'm assuming that's for the more recent MCM wheels as if I check it, the distance/speed values no longer match up with the gotway app values (I'm assuming the gotway values are correct for my wheel)

As I know, some old MCM wheels use main board from 16" wheels, that's why they show wrong speed and distance (because the actual diameter is 14"). I was asked to add such an option, but I don’t know which exact versions of MCM such issue is present

7 hours ago, palachzzz said:

I disagree with you, because Kingsong uses an extremely stupid formula that contradicts the physics of the discharge of lithium batteries, I described it earlier, and also I have discharge logs with the remaining distance. With 5% you had 66.5v (3.325v per cell) you can’t drive even 5 km with strongly limited speed. But if I knew the formula that Kingsong uses, I would use it, as I did for other wheels, just to avoid such questions and disputes.

I did not know about such a problem. As I do not have a Pebble, I can't check it. Can you check the version of the WheelLog on which it work?

We've had similar discussions regarding Gotway. I won't argue with you regarding accuracy - you may be right. But what I want from WheelLog is for it to match the hardware from KingSong. If WheelLog is telling me that I have 5% battery remaining but in reality I have ~20%, than WheelLog is not very useful to me.

I understand you can't fix this because of your lack of access to the KingSong algorithm. But I wanted other people to be aware that they can't trust the WheelLog app when used with the XL. Such is life.

I'll try and discover which earlier version of WheelLog had the working second screen.

22 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

But what I want from WheelLog is for it to match the hardware from KingSong.

Actually there is no "hardware" in remaining battery percents) Hardware shows only voltage, and then KingSong app calculate battery percent. Pure software )) And I would say that this is a very dirty software, because it does not take into account voltage sag depending on the current.
Only Ninebot show hardware battery percent. 

But I know your position, and it is pretty close to mine :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, palachzzz said:

Actually there is no "hardware" in remaining battery percents) Hardware shows only voltage, and then KingSong app calculate battery percent. Pure software )) And I would say that this is a very dirty software, because it does not take into account voltage sag depending on the current.
Only Ninebot show hardware battery percent. 

But I know your position, and it is pretty close to mine :)

I'm not choosing the best words (by saying hardware). By hardware, I really mean 'the wheel'. If the KingSong XL wheel tells me with their software and LEDs that I have 10 more miles that I can ride, it would be ideal if WheelLog provided me with the same information.

I use the Pebble/WheelLog on all of my rides. It's extremely convenient to be able to glance at my watch and see an accurate representation of my battery level. WheelLog is very accurate with all of my Gotway wheels and the Z10. Not the XL.

I think we understand each other :D

14 minutes ago, palachzzz said:

@Marty Backe, if you want to make range test - just ride until the wheel turns off :D You don't need percents )))

I need the percents so that I know when to turn around and head home :)

• Like 1

I'd like to offer free full app translation to Hellenic (Greek)

i have translated apps like tTorrent, skvalex Call Recorder and others.

If you are interested share the xmls or if not i could share a version i've forked for my self ( :P

On 1/6/2019 at 9:17 PM, Marty Backe said:

I need the percents so that I know when to turn around and head home :)

If you'd volunteer to notice some from the app reported voltages together with the reported percentages it should be not too much of a prob to implement this in wheellog. Best the values around the 100% "drop" and near 0%... 😁

• Like 1