WheelLog Android App

palachzzz

3 hours ago, koto said:

FRENCH TRANSLATION:

@Seba: The french translation of "average riding speed" is too long. How can I insert a "newline" in the <string> </string> ? In the main screen I can read only 60% of the string. Is "\n" OK ? I'm not sure it is the right way to cope with this issue.

Actually, in this particular case no new line can be used as this will break layout symetry. So the best idea is to use some short sentence or something. I had the same problem with Polish translation.

3 hours ago, koto said:

BUG REPORT:

When an alarm  is triggered while voice messages are beeing played, voices messages are stopped and I hear voice alarm message. After that, voice messages seem to be deactivated. The voice message icon is still red but I cannot hear anything from the speaker.

This behaviour is intentional. Alerts have higher priority and when trigered immediately stops normal, scheduled message. It was also intentional that if you trigger the speed alert during playing normal message, it won't be repeated just after alarm condition disappear. It will be repeated after predefined interval or one minute by default. This should encourage user to obey the limits if one want to take advantage of periodic messages. To say it short - ride within limits you defined or set it higher :) Normally, periodic messages are set at 1 minute interval, but they will be active only if there is connection to the wheel active. I will change this behaviour so messages will be triggered regardless of wheel connection state.

keep going...

ESP Translation

ps:

about the missing HORN … I download the WL it files to take a look to the code and I notice that there's only code for (ACTION_REQUEST_KINGSONG_HORN), not inmotion,gw, nib… that's why is not working with mt GW when trying to use the feature….

(“WheelLogAndroid-master/app/src/main/java/com/cooper/wheellog/BluetoothLeService.java”)

(“WheelLogAndroid-master/app/src/main/java/com/cooper/wheellog/utils/Constants.java”)

WL_ESP.zip

Edited by ArqFG

8 hours ago, ArqFG said:

keep going...

ESP Translation

Thank you very much :) Added to the new APK, please check if everything is OK.  One suggestion - some sentences are to be spoken, so it's better to avoid acronyms like EUC.

1 hour ago, koto said:

Here is a new version of french translation.

Thank you. I think there is still some room to shorten some sentences. Especially titles on main speedometer screen needs to be shortened somehow.

Please download and test following version:

https://euc.world/downloads/wheellog-eucworld-2.0.23-release.apk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seba said:

Thank you. I think there is still some room to shorten some sentences. Especially titles on main speedometer screen needs to be shortened somehow.

Yes for sure, I will test it today and I will try to find shorter sentences (I have already tried but it is not easy. Perhaps should I decide not to use full/complete words in future release. If I can also ask french spoken users what they want to read).

Let's test....

This has probably been discussed before, but I can't seem to find it:

On my MSX 84V, the current reported often have spikes all the way up to 120A. That would mean ~80V x ~120A = ~9.6kW, which is just not a believable figure.
Actually in most rides, even in the city, I hit at least 110A at least once. Usually when there are pot-holes or when I start off strongly at a green light. Overall the phenomenon seems to happen at pretty low speeds.

What's up with that?

I get the feeling that the wheel takes the output and multiplies it with 3, like some part in the chain just supposes that all Gotway wheels have 2p rather than 6p as in the MSX.
Or is the problem that the measurement point is later in the chain, so what is actually measured is the current over the MOS at low voltage, rather than the current draw from the batteries? If the effective voltage over the measuring point is just 20V or so, 120A means 2.4kW, which is far more believable as a peak value.

Does anyone have a clue what this is all about? And with doubled TO-247, how many amps can they actually take before you risk the pop-corn effect?

2 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

On my MSX 84V, the current reported often have spikes all the way up to 120A. That would mean ~80V x ~120A = ~9.6kW, which is just not a believable figure.
Actually in most rides, even in the city, I hit at least 110A at least once. Usually when there are pot-holes or when I start off strongly at a green light. Overall the phenomenon seems to happen at pretty low speeds.

What's up with that?

I get the feeling that the wheel takes the output and multiplies it with 3, like some part in the chain just supposes that all Gotway wheels have 2p rather than 6p as in the MSX.
Or is the problem that the measurement point is later in the chain, so what is actually measured is the current over the MOS at low voltage, rather than the current draw from the batteries? If the effective voltage over the measuring point is just 20V or so, 120A means 2.4kW, which is far more believable as a peak value.

Does anyone have a clue what this is all about? And with doubled TO-247, how many amps can they actually take before you risk the pop-corn effect?

Very short 120 A spikes are likely to occur and this is why large electrolytic capacitors are used and important in every EUC. These spikes are usually very short in duration and doesn't put any load on battery - this is momentary current flowing between capacitor and MOSFET bridge. Of course such spikes may be just a false data, but I suppose it's because there is no input signal filtering on current measurement path.

4 hours ago, Scatcat said:

The motor control and the motor coils act as step down regulator. So one has as with a transformator Ubatt:Umotor=Imotor:Ibat. Umotor is in this case the "internal" generated voltage which is proportional to speed. So at low speeds one has low motor voltages and high motor currents:

Additionally the reported values are just somehow peoportional/correlating to the motor current - there are imo still some factors (and possibly offsets) involved.

FRENCH TRANSLATION:

@Seba: Here is the last version of french translation. I've forgotten to translate one item in strings.xml and I've made a minor change.

USAGE REPORT:

I wrote you that when voice alarm messages collide with repetitive reports wheellog seems to keep quiet after. Yesterday I put alarm threshold higher, there still was these kind of collision but everything worked fine.

wheellog-french-0.3.zip

17 hours ago, palachzzz said:

Gotway reports phase motor currents. It isn't battery current, it means that multiplying voltage*current doesn't mean power. Actually it means nothing, just some number. 

Ah, that was more or less alternative two then!

17 hours ago, Chriull said:

The motor control and the motor coils act as step down regulator. So one has as with a transformator Ubatt:Umotor=Imotor:Ibat. Umotor is in this case the "internal" generated voltage which is proportional to speed. So at low speeds one has low motor voltages and high motor currents:

Additionally the reported values are just somehow peoportional/correlating to the motor current - there are imo still some factors (and possibly offsets) involved.

I know that it is a step down regulator, but it sure explains why these high transients mostly happen at really low speeds.

I wonder what other "factors" there are? And how high these transients can go before there is a risk of a MOSFET popping?

3 hours ago, Scatcat said:

I wonder what other "factors" there are? And how high these transients can go before there is a risk of a MOSFET popping?

Two motor phase currents are measured via by shunt resistors. For the motor control and PID they imo need no absolute (accurate) numbers - so they get some voltage numbers from some resistance value were this current drops and work with it and report something. Depending on the measurement/PCB routing there also could be some offset values (i.e. voltage drop on ground line)

For a useful motor current value in the app beside this "calibration" thing also a conversion from the motor phase current to an effecitve motor current would be needed.

3 hours ago, Scatcat said:

And how high these transients can go before there is a risk of a MOSFET popping?

Make it as @Marty Backe - he set a fixed current alarm in wheellog and his wheels "survive" his driving style wo probs. Afair 80A for the gotways?

Maybe you have to adapt this number for your wheel(s) and driving style...

2 hours ago, Chriull said:

Two motor phase currents are measured via by shunt resistors. For the motor control and PID they imo need no absolute (accurate) numbers - so they get some voltage numbers from some resistance value were this current drops and work with it and report something. Depending on the measurement/PCB routing there also could be some offset values (i.e. voltage drop on ground line)

For a useful motor current value in the app beside this "calibration" thing also a conversion from the motor phase current to an effecitve motor current would be needed.

Make it as @Marty Backe - he set a fixed current alarm in wheellog and his wheels "survive" his driving style wo probs. Afair 80A for the gotways?

Maybe you have to adapt this number for your wheel(s) and driving style...

80A?

There almost aren't a single ride where I don't have a peak at least up to 100A, and quite a few are in the 120A area. And that is even without any really aggressive driving, like pushing my knees into the pads to force hard acceleration.

These screenies are from the last month, and they're by no means the most extreme. I've put a red line at 90A where I have a buzzer like @Marty Backe, orange is the current as usual.

alarm.thumb.jpg.e857658ff343581337da0868c6bacff2.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

80A?

There almost aren't a single ride where I don't have a peak at least up to 100A, and quite a few are in the 120A area. And that is even without any really aggressive driving, like pushing my knees into the pads to force hard acceleration.

These screenies are from the last month, and they're by no means the most extreme. I've put a red line at 90A where I have a buzzer like @Marty Backe, orange is the current as usual.

alarm.thumb.jpg.e857658ff343581337da0868c6bacff2.jpg

I'm still happy with 90-amps for my KingSong and Gotway wheels. It's triggered on every ride, usually during hard starts or stops and at big bumps at speed.

The alarm is a great feedback tool for learning about your wheel and understanding the conditions that stress your system. And for people who ride where you could potentially melt wires or blow MOSFETs, I think it's critical. I always stop what I'm doing if I feel the trigger (via my Pebble watch) continuously for more than a handful of seconds. This only happens when climbing steep hills.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm still happy with 90-amps for my KingSong and Gotway wheels. It's triggered on every ride, usually during hard starts or stops and at big bumps at speed.

The alarm is a great feedback tool for learning about your wheel and understanding the conditions that stress your system. And for people who ride where you could potentially melt wires or blow MOSFETs, I think it's critical. I always stop what I'm doing if I feel the trigger (via my Pebble watch) continuously for more than a handful of seconds. This only happens when climbing steep hills.

Yes, I would probably feel a bit leery if the buzzer went on and on, but I am considering upping the buzzer to 100A. I'm not sure. The reason for such a thing would be to not getting too used to the thing buzzing all the time.

I am a bit curious though about the Gotway firmware, and the tendency for almost absurd short peaks in current output. I compare with the curves from the GT16, and they were a lot less violent in the peaks - given that the motor has the same power. Actually the response at lower speeds and when braking felt more immediate in the GT16, braking hard with the MSX requires more "manhandling" to really put the power down. So consequently the peaks in the GT16 should have been kind of similar, but they weren't.

I get the feeling the programmer of the Rockwheel firmware was a bit more proficient in transient handling. I may be wrong, but that is the impression I get. But other than the transients, and the manhandling part when braking, I really like the feeling I get from the firmware. Right now I run at medium, which is kind of a compromise between the response I would like, and the leisure of a slightly softer ride when commuting. I kind of suspect that the "medium" of the MSX is a lot harder than many prefer, but I am a bit crazy that way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scatcat said:

I compare with the curves from the GT16, and they were a lot less violent in the peaks

There are wheels that report battery current, the beforementioned "factors/offset" are likely to be different and they can report averages/peaks or just on single value point within the sample time...

So real comparisons are hard to achieve...

2 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Yes, I would probably feel a bit leery if the buzzer went on and on, but I am considering upping the buzzer to 100A. I'm not sure. The reason for such a thing would be to not getting too used to the thing buzzing all the time.

I am a bit curious though about the Gotway firmware, and the tendency for almost absurd short peaks in current output. I compare with the curves from the GT16, and they were a lot less violent in the peaks - given that the motor has the same power. Actually the response at lower speeds and when braking felt more immediate in the GT16, braking hard with the MSX requires more "manhandling" to really put the power down. So consequently the peaks in the GT16 should have been kind of similar, but they weren't.

I get the feeling the programmer of the Rockwheel firmware was a bit more proficient in transient handling. I may be wrong, but that is the impression I get. But other than the transients, and the manhandling part when braking, I really like the feeling I get from the firmware. Right now I run at medium, which is kind of a compromise between the response I would like, and the leisure of a slightly softer ride when commuting. I kind of suspect that the "medium" of the MSX is a lot harder than many prefer, but I am a bit crazy that way.

@Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" burned up one of his wheels during a group ride in the hills. He had set the current alarm to 120-amps instead of my recommended 90. We were going up a long steep hill. By the time the alarm triggered it was too late.

So just be careful in upping the alarm level, particularly if there are steep hills in your riding.

Just a cautionary tale for you and others who may be reading this :) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

@Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" burned up one of his wheels during a group ride in the hills. He had set the current alarm to 120-amps instead of my recommended 90. We were going up a long steep hill. By the time the alarm triggered it was too late.

So just be careful in upping the alarm level, particularly if there are steep hills in your riding.

Just a cautionary tale for you and others who may be reading this :) 

MSX?

53 minutes ago, Chriull said:

There are wheels that report battery current, the beforementioned "factors/offset" are likely to be different and they can report averages/peaks or just on single value point within the sample time...

So real comparisons are hard to achieve...

Figures. You're probably spot on.

5 hours ago, Scatcat said:

MSX?

I want to say it was an ACM, but can't remember. I've never seen an MSX burn up so I'm confident his didn't.

@Seba I confirm (again) that when a voice message alarm happens while voice messages reports are beeing played after that wheellog enters in a silent mode. It is uncomfortable. If we put an alarm it means that it may be triggered. It is not comfortable the fact it may "disable" voice messages.

2 hours ago, koto said:

@Seba I confirm (again) that when a voice message alarm happens while voice messages reports are beeing played after that wheellog enters in a silent mode. It is uncomfortable. If we put an alarm it means that it may be triggered. It is not comfortable the fact it may "disable" voice messages.

It's a strange, because I can't reproduce this. Standard, periodic voice messages are by default repeated in one minute interval. When this periodic report is interrupted by alarm, it will be played after another minute. I understand that after alarm, normal messages are not played anymore - is it correct?

16 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I want to say it was an ACM, but can't remember. I've never seen an MSX burn up so I'm confident his didn't.

There is a 'slight' difference between the TO-247s and TO-220s after all. The TO-247s can take a lot more abuse overall. Of course that depends on other factors too, but in general they should be a lot more sturdy when you're on the edge.

• Like 1