WheelLog Android App

palachzzz

4 hours ago, SanDiegoGuy said:

I still think that this app looks best on the LEMFO LEM4 Pro because it is rectangular and has a big screen for better visibility.

Leme4pro2.jpg

it does look good but I'd have to wear my glasses i like the size on the pebble its BIG ?

• Upvote 1

Hi,

I have a series of Inmotion V8-specific questions regarding WheelLog, but since I'm new to the forum, and seeing that this thread is already 27 pages long, I thought I'd ask first whether I should start a new thread instead (e.g. WheelLog App > Inmotion V8). The Inmotion app is terrible, so now that I've discovered WheelLog, it's definitely going to be the main daily-use app for my wheel, while perhaps I'll install the Inmotion app once a month (or after a big fall, God forbid) just to run diagnostics, then uninstall again immediately.

On that note, I'd like to thank @palachzzz for developing and maintaining this app! What a fantastic app, and what an amazing job making it compatible with such a large variety wheels from so many different brands. I'm thoroughly impressed and grateful! Amazing work and MANY, MANY THANKS!!!

Edited by travsformation

Hi,

I actually have a few general questions about the app that I think do belong here. Sorry if they're noob questions and have already been answered, I've scanned through all 27 pages of this thread (not thoroughly, as you can understand) but haven't found the answers. Am hoping maybe someone can clarify a few of my questions:

In general terms, what effect do WheelLog's settings have on the physical wheel?

1. Does the wheel retain certain inalterable, firmware-defined parameters such as max. speed or the beeping it emits when you're nearing max. speed, regardless of what the app's settings are?
  2. Does WheelLog change the wheel's default tiltback parameters or does it simply add new ones? (such as "tiltback at 20kmh, in addition to the firmware-defined 25kmh", for instance)

I ask some of these questions because of a comment by another user (in another thread), who mentioned that he almost exclusively uses WheelLog, but runs the Inmotion app once in a while to define values such as max. speed, which confused me on whether WheelLog actually overwrites paramaters in the wheel's firmware, or simply allows certain ones to be tweaked. I guess these doubts stem from the fact that I don't fully understand (or understand at all hehe) the relationship between the wheel's firmware and the app (how these two interact, which values can be changed and which ones are inalterable, etc), regardless of whether the app is WheelLog or the Inmotion app.

Sorry for the newbie questions (doubly so if they've already been answered elsewhere), and thanks for your patience! :)

Edited by travsformation
Omission

1 hour ago, travsformation said:

Hi,

I actually have a few general questions about the app that I think do belong here. Sorry if they're noob questions and have already been answered, I've scanned through all 27 pages of this thread (not thoroughly, as you can understand) but haven't found the answers. Am hoping maybe someone can clarify a few of my questions:

In general terms, what effect do WheelLog's settings have on the physical wheel?

1. Does the wheel retain certain inalterable, firmware-defined parameters such as max. speed or the beeping it emits when you're nearing max. speed, regardless of what the app's settings are?
  2. Does WheelLog change the wheel's default tiltback parameters or does it simply add new ones? (such as "tiltback at 20kmh, in addition to the firmware-defined 25kmh", for instance)

I ask some of these questions because of a comment by another user (in another thread), who mentioned that he almost exclusively uses WheelLog, but runs the Inmotion app once in a while to define values such as max. speed, which confused me on whether WheelLog actually overwrites paramaters in the wheel's firmware, or simply allows certain ones to be tweaked. I guess these doubts stem from the fact that I don't fully understand (or understand at all hehe) the relationship between the wheel's firmware and the app (how these two interact, which values can be changed and which ones are inalterable, etc), regardless of whether the app is WheelLog or the Inmotion app.

Sorry for the newbie questions (doubly so if they've already been answered elsewhere), and thanks for your patience! :)

I use WheelLog with all of my wheels (Gotway, KingSong, and Ninebot). The app capabilities varies with the wheel. I'll discuss Gotway.

The app allows you to monitor the the speed, battery level, and temperature of the wheel. It has other displays for monitoring currents, voltages, etc. It will also store the values dynamically in a log file. Think "Black Box" for EUC's.

For me, all I care about is the speed, battery level, and temperature. Those values are presented in a beautiful main screen, and more importantly (for me), they are displayed on the companion app that is running on my Pebble watch. Here's a little video I made awhile back which should demonstrate it's usefulness:

Th current version of WheelLog also allows you to change the settings of the wheel (alarms, tilt-lights, etc.). Wheel settings are stored in the wheel, not the app. WheelLog can only change what the natve app (from Gotway & KingSong) can change.

33 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I use WheelLog with all of my wheels (Gotway, KingSong, and Ninebot). The app capabilities varies with the wheel. I'll discuss Gotway.

The app allows you to monitor the the speed, battery level, and temperature of the wheel. It has other displays for monitoring currents, voltages, etc. It will also store the values dynamically in a log file. Think "Black Box" for EUC's.

For me, all I care about is the speed, battery level, and temperature. Those values are presented in a beautiful main screen, and more importantly (for me), they are displayed on the companion app that is running on my Pebble watch. Here's a little video I made awhile back which should demonstrate it's usefulness:

Th current version of WheelLog also allows you to change the settings of the wheel (alarms, tilt-lights, etc.). Wheel settings are stored in the wheel, not the app. WheelLog can only change what the natve app (from Gotway & KingSong) can change.

It looks like the Pebble watch needs to be linked to an Android phone at all times in order for it to show the wheellog app.  If you leave your Android phone at home and only carries this Pebble watch with you, then you are out of luck and he app will not work....is that true?

This is in contrast to getting another type of Android watch  that can download apps straight from the Google play store and use it alone and does not need to be tether to the Android phone.

The best ideal smart watch for EUC rides is the one that has large display, does not need to be tether to an Android phone, and the battery last more than a week....and of course, can install and run Wheellog.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, SanDiegoGuy said:

It looks like the Pebble watch needs to be linked to an Android phone at all times in order for it to show the wheellog app.  If you leave your Android phone at home and only carries this Pebble watch with you, then you are out of luck and he app will not work....is that true?

This is in contrast to getting another type of Android watch  that can download apps straight from the Google play store and use it alone and does not need to be tether to the Android phone.

The best ideal smart watch for EUC rides is the one that has large display, does not need to be tether to an Android phone, and the battery last more than a week....and of course, can install and run Wheellog.

This is 2018. Who doesn't carry their phone with them :confused1:  But clearly WheelLog/Pebble is not for everyone, and that's what makes the world turn.

I do love mine and continue to advocate its use for the people who want to be in better touch with how their wheel is performing. If you're just tootling around town it's of limited value. But if you go on 30 to 50 mile rides like I do, it's fantastic. Or when I'm in the mountains and stressing the wheel, the Pebble buzzing on my wrist will let me know if I'm drawing too much power out of my wheel.

I think that you'll find that running the WheelLog on an Android smart watch to be unsatisfactory because it wasn't designed as a smart watch app.YMMV.

• Like 1

Thanks @Marty Backe (also for the informative video). I understand the basics of how the app works (stats, turning on/off lights, controlling tilt, setting tilt-back and alarms, etc.). What I wasn't sure about is what you clarified with:

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Wheel settings are stored in the wheel, not the app. WheelLog can only change what the natve app (from Gotway & KingSong) can change. 

Another part of my question was answered in another thread by @Mono, who aptly pointed out, in terms of modifying the wheel's maximum speed via WheelLog, that

That can't possibly be so. You have to (re-)set the maximum speed deliberately. This is a value the EUC stores internally, irrespectively of whether you use any app.

So to summarize, with WheelLog one can generally change most of the values that the EUC vendor's official app allows you to (I understand that compatibility & config options may vary depending on the brand and model of the wheel), but there are certain parameters (max. speed, max load, etc.) that are basically set in stone in the EUC's firmware, is that correct? So, if for instance, I decide to speed up a steep hill too fast and overload the wheel, the warning and/or tiltback the wheel will (hopefully) give me before I cause a cut-out is entirely firmware dependant, right?

Or to summarize even further, I can't break my wheel or exceed the safety limitations set by the manufacturer by tweaking parameters in the app (regardless of which app I use), right?

Thanks again for your patience :)

Edited by travsformation

35 minutes ago, travsformation said:

Thanks @Marty Backe (also for the informative video). I understand the basics of how the app works (stats, turning on/off lights, controlling tilt, setting tilt-back and alarms, etc.). What I wasn't sure about is what you clarified with:

Another part of my question was answered in another thread by @Mono, who aptly pointed out, in terms of modifying the wheel's maximum speed via WheelLog, that

So to summarize, with WheelLog one can generally change most of the values that the EUC vendor's official app allows you to (I understand that compatibility & config options may vary depending on the brand and model of the wheel), but there are certain parameters (max. speed, max load, etc.) that are basically set in stone in the EUC's firmware, is that correct? So, if for instance, I decide to speed up a steep hill too fast and overload the wheel, the warning and/or tiltback the wheel will (hopefully) give me before I cause a cut-out is entirely firmware dependant, right?

Or to summarize even further, I can't break my wheel or exceed the safety limitations set by the manufacturer by tweaking parameters in the app (regardless of which app I use), right?

Thanks again for your patience :)

Your last paragraph sums up things nicely, and accurately :)

8 hours ago, travsformation said:

I believe the DarknessBot app can set the max speed of the V8 to more than 30km/h, which is beyond the specification of InMotion. I am not a fan at all, as this is bound to hurt someone sooner or later.

1 hour ago, Mono said:

I believe the DarknessBot app can set the max speed of the V8 to more than 30km/h, which is beyond the specification of InMotion. I am not a fan at all, as this is bound to hurt someone sooner or later.

Thanks for the info. For the record, I wasn't looking for ways to override my V8's maximum speed, but rather wanted to make sure I didn't accidentally do so and endanger myself/my wheel. I think I'll stay clear of DarknessBot then...exceeding an electric motor's limitations is a dangerous gamble...

Almost forgot, in terms of WheelLog and the V8, has anyone else experienced unusual speed stats? Yesterday I got a reading for 42 kmh max. speed, which is impossible (especially considering that my max. speed is set to 25 kmh)

3 minutes ago, André Barbosa said:

Wheellog can also unlock InMotion V8 to 35kph. Though It does not goes further.

I'm on my first week of learning so the default 25 kph speed limit is fine with me :)  All the same, as I progress, I'd still rather not tinker with the manufacturer's default max. speed. I'm assuming it was set to 30 kph for a reason...

6 minutes ago, André Barbosa said:

Nevertheless V8 alarm seems to be triggered by a variety o factors. Not only speed. So its quite safe to unlock It.

Am guessing those other factors are temperature and overcurrent, right?

22 minutes ago, Mono said:

No, it is most likely not safe to ride an EUC faster than its specified speed.

I think you're forgetting that some people may be striving to win 1st place on the face-plant podium & gain access to the EUC-crippled hall of fame :efee8319ab:

But on a more serious note, I entirely agree with you. Hopefully common sense will some day become more common...

• Upvote 1

Depends upon how someone defines "safe".  I find it interesting that the V8 can do max speed up a hill with more than 200 lbs on it, so it has plenty of reserve.  And downhill it can only do 19 mph, even though it obviously can do more speed.  I'll unlock it to 35 kph, 22 mph and let you know about face plant adventure. :)

I'm interested in enhancing wheellog to work on an android wear watch.  Perhaps I'll look at the bug list as a warm up to more adventurous undertakings.

On 10/21/2018 at 11:33 AM, Biped Phil said:

All the readout numbers I see are 0, even the total distance.  To reach this point, I installed from Google Play ("last updated Oct 20, 2018"), punched the app's Bluetooth button, selected a nearby powered-up Glide3 from the list, punched in a password, and heard the happy connection noise from the wheel:  boom-bing!  (Later, I also tried a wrong password and did not hear the happy noise, so I believe Wheellog connects successfully.)  But the readouts are all zeros. 

No one replied to this? I'm seeing the same thing on my Z10. Is there a solution that we're missing? Is a smartwatch required for the app to actually log/display data? There's not much documentation for the app.

Still want to say thank you to the creator/maintainers of the app as it's a great service for the community. I just want to get it to work with my wheel.

18 minutes ago, GaperMaster said:

No one replied to this? I'm seeing the same thing on my Z10. Is there a solution that we're missing? Is a smartwatch required for the app to actually log/display data? There's not much documentation for the app.

Still want to say thank you to the creator/maintainers of the app as it's a great service for the community. I just want to get it to work with my wheel.

Ok, I think I figured it out. I had to turn-off my password protection on my Z10 in order for WheelLog to work with the wheel. It kind of explains this when you first connect to the wheel in the app when it asks for your password it says "(Inmotion only)". You have to not put in a password when you connect. 

If you turn on the bluetooth password protection setting in your Ninebot app, WheelLog will stop working again. Hopefully this helps those that are having trouble getting data to show through the app.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1