WheelLog Android App

palachzzz

1 hour ago, MacPara said:

If you want to get a Pebble you should act quickly. I believe the app store will get shut down some time in June and I don't know how else you could get the companion app installed if not through that store.... The actual Pebble model is irrelevant, they all run the same OS. I have a Pebble Time Steel and a Pebble Steel. One has color the other one is monochrome and both work fine with Wheellog.

I need to experiment, but I remember reading that you can sideload apps - from the Pebble app you can point to the companion app file.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juggler said:

It's the KS 14d

That should be identical (from a  board perspective) to my 14S, I'll check again tonight. It should just beep but if you really want some crazy sounds, why not just play a sound file through the Kingsong speakers using your favorite song playing app and using the BT speakers for streaming it?

2 minutes ago, MacPara said:

That should be identical (from a  board perspective) to my 14S, I'll check again tonight. It should just beep but if you really want some crazy sounds, why not just play a sound file through the Kingsong speakers using your favorite song playing app and using the BT speakers for streaming it?

You know, I have to test this with the newest version of WheelLog, but the original version would play an actual horn/bell sound through the KS speakers when pressing the button. It did not require you to connect to the Bluetooth KingSongMusic  device. At least that's how I remember it - it's been awhile since I tried the KS bell - I normally don't instrument my KS14S rides since they tend to be of a shorter nature.

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

You know, I have to test this with the newest version of WheelLog, but the original version would play an actual horn/bell sound through the KS speakers when pressing the button. It did not require you to connect to the Bluetooth KingSongMusic  device. At least that's how I remember it - it's been awhile since I tried the KS bell - I normally don't instrument my KS14S rides since they tend to be of a shorter nature.

Hm, I wonder if the response depends on enabling the sampled voice recordings. I disabled those in my KS wheel as it was annoying (and embarrassing) rolling along the bike path and the voice constantly says "Please, decelerate!". So I changed it to just a beep warning but this could probably affect the horn response as well. And it's actually helpful on the bike path with the wheel just beeping on its own to clear the path without further requests ?

I just tried it with my KS14S and it does beep when I press the volume keys. I didn't bother to bring my watch with me and play around much. It's version 2.0.9 as recently released, so it should work just fine. The beep is a bit muted on the KS vs the GW wheel but as I said, I have no influence on that from the Wheellog side. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I need to experiment, but I remember reading that you can sideload apps - from the Pebble app you can point to the companion app file.

Yeah, I hope that works as I really think this is one of the best options (and rather affordable too). Another might be an older Samsung Gear 2 on ebay but I have not tried this myself as the Pebble was Marty-certified and I just went with what works for you. Thinking about this you might want to consider an official label and offer that to companies for a licensing deal....

Edited by MacPara
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Master Blaster said:

I have the 16S and 18S, but it would be my assumption it would be the same on yours, you have choice in the app for voice prompts/warnings or beep prompts/warnings........it has to be set on voice to get the horn sound, otherwise it will just beep when you activate the horn. Only downside is if you have it set for voice and you get a speed warning you’ll hear a kind of annoying voice saying: “Please Decelerate” ? ?

My wheel does say "please decelerate" near top speed. I looked everywhere in the WheelLog app but could not find the setting to change from beeps to prompts! With the new version V2.0.9, I now have a blank page to the right of the large speed readout when viewing in portrait mode but when i turn the phone round to landscape position the details page is displayed!! The previous version worked ok for that part.

2 hours ago, Scatcat said:

This has probably been asked before, but why isn't Google Wear OS not supported? Pebble and Tizen are, but my android watch ain't.

I suppose there is a reason, I'm curious what it is?

Because it needs someone with the knowledge and the time to invest the effort to add the functionality. I think the demand is there but not the resources.

With the latest version of Wear OS using standalone apps you could even directly connect the watch to the wheel. No phone. Wouldn't that be cool! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WARPed1701D said:

Because it needs someone with the knowledge and the time to invest the effort to add the functionality. I think the demand is there but not the resources.

With the latest version of Wear OS using standalone apps you could even directly connect the watch to the wheel. No phone. Wouldn't that be cool! 

Yeah, but my watch is version 1, a bloody Sony Smartwatch 3... :D 

So I'm happy if I can use it at all. But I ordered a pebble on ebay, let's hope I get it in time to use the app-store, or that the rebble.io app-store takes over without friction...

Let's just say I positively hate digging out the phone to check such vitals as battery and speed while driving.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Juggler said:

My wheel does say "please decelerate" near top speed. I looked everywhere in the WheelLog app but could not find the setting to change from beeps to prompts! With the new version V2.0.9, I now have a blank page to the right of the large speed readout when viewing in portrait mode but when i turn the phone round to landscape position the details page is displayed!! The previous version worked ok for that part.

The selection of voice or beeps is in the KS app, not Wheellog........if your wheel is set as it is for voice, and says “Please Decelerate” then you should be able to activate the KS built in horn sound by pushing the middle button on the Pebble watch running Wheellog. You should also be able to honk the horn in the KS app as well. I’ll post a video like Marty’s today when I get a chance. Sounds like the noise is different on the 14 though because in Marty’s video he gets a ring type noise. On my 16S and 18S it a rather loud horn, like a car horn.

Edited by Master Blaster

2 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

Amen to that, it would be great if someone could build that functionality. I tried and failed a few attempts using tasker and autowear to fabricate something. It is definitely harder than I thought it would be.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scatcat said:

So I'm happy if I can use it at all. But I ordered a pebble on ebay, let's hope I get it in time to use the app-store, or that the rebble.io app-store takes over without friction...

Let's just say I positively hate digging out the phone to check such vitals as battery and speed while driving.

I had the Sony SW 3 for 3 years (SW2 before that). I liked it but was annoyed they didn't upgrade it to Wear 2 despite having the ability (even NFC for Android Pay). The strap also wore through to the metal where it rubbed on my shirt sleeves and new straps are extortionate. Sony has abandoned it's SmartWatch enthusiasts. I ended up getting a Huawei Watch 2 Classic to replace it and so far I'm a fan. I just miss the old Sony Screen that was visible without backlight. The OLED display of the Huawei is great but has no low power display.

I now actually prefer having the pebble for the wheel. Like Marty I have mine attached to my wrist guard and my watch goes in my bag. I could see no easy way to wear the SW3 with the wrist guards without popping it out the strap all the time. The pebble was so inexpensive it is fine for single use on the wheel and the screen has that SW3 ability to work without backlight. Battery life is awesome too. I originally brought the Steel but it had display issues that are apparently a design flaw. Sent it back and got a Time instead and I much prefer it. Color display and extra power-saving abilities that shut down Bluetooth etc when it detects it isn't being worn. It means I only charge it once a week. Much nicer than every night for my Smartwatches. Bonus is that if I fall I won't cry (too much) if I smash the Pebble up....now my Smartwatch...that would have me in floods.

2 hours ago, Scatcat said:

If I ever get to the point where the Pebble watch no longer works, my plan is to get one of those super small phones (Jelly) and strap it onto my forearm.

• Like 1

@Juggler -- I made a short, down and dirty video (no editing for quality) showing what I was mentioning previously that you have to set the KS app Voice Control to Voice in order to get the pebble to beep the horn as opposed to just plain beeps.  This is on the KS 16S and 18S, it looks like from Marty's video it is a different (bell ring) on the KS 14, so I do not know how applicable this is to your 14 wheel. 

Just to clarify one point -- in the beginning of this video the beeps that you hear are coming from the Wheel, not the phone, it is a bit muted because the wheel was lying on it's side on the floor.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hO-qDakl6mK6tuwi87-9ZHsjxB9za51x/view?usp=sharing

Also as I mentioned earlier, if you have the wheel set for voice prompts instead of just the beeps, you will get the speed warning in voice mode which is the somewhat annoying voice that says "Please Decelerate" -- if you set voice control in the KS app to off then you'll get just the "beeps" for the speed warning while riding the wheel, but you won't get the "Horn" that way.

I have my 16S set for beeps for the speed warning because I can hear the beeps, but my 18S is faster and at speed I have a hard time hearing the beeps due to wind noise, so I set the 18S to voice prompts because at speed I can hear the annoying "Please Decelerate" much better than the beeps because the voice prompt is much, much louder.

Edited by Master Blaster
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, fryman said:

So which pebble would everyone recommend?

All Pebble watches (Version 2 I think) are functionally the same. So locate one based on the price and styling that suits you best.

14 hours ago, Juggler said:

I have no idea why you have layout issues with this version as the layout has not been touched in forever. I might have been unclear about where you change the wheel settings from beeps to sampled sounds. It is not in Wheellog at all, this is a function implemented by the Kingsong app. I use the old green one to change such proprietary settings. The only other beep related setting that is in Wheellog is in the Watch Settings that affect what the Pebble Select button would do. It shouldn't affect the horn from the volume keys. 

@MacPara and @palachzzz: Is there a way just read the config of the wheel and show the settings ? In "Wheel Settings" menu, we can set everything but there is no way  just to read the settings. It would be nice to have this feature.

I have another question about calibration. At least on gotways, why is this difficult to make this work ? I guess there is a tough reason why this does not work until now.

Thank you for your job guys !

Edited by koto

This thread is too long already. Could someone give a brief summary about current Wheellog state?

1. Where can I download latest .apk build?

2. Why is it not published on Play store?

3. There are several Wheellog forks, right? Which one is in active development?

Wouldn't it be good to have a dedicated page/topic, where all the information related to the app would be published -- build downloads, release notes etc., so it is not intermixed with long discussions.

• Like 1

Thanks @Master Blaster.  I finally got my phone up/down buttons to sound the horn. I have no idea what the problem was because i tried every combination of settings/apps until it suddenly works.

I'm slightly puzzled about the blootooth connections though. When I go to my Bluetooth settings on the phone, I have "KingsongMusic" listed as "Paired".  When I check to settings of this device there are two options, 1  Media audio, 2  Input device. Both are OFF when the wheel is turned off but only the Media audio is ON when the wheel is on. What is the option Input device for?

Another question is, what app is needed for the Pebble watch to work as a horn button?

Thanks guys for your help

20 hours ago, MacPara said:

I have no idea why you have layout issues with this version as the layout has not been touched in forever. 

It does seem odd as I'm almost sure i saw the details screen working in portrait mode the other day when I was riding, but now the page is blank in portrait mode and only works in landscape!

1 hour ago, Juggler said:

Thanks @Master Blaster.  I finally got my phone up/down buttons to sound the horn. I have no idea what the problem was because i tried every combination of settings/apps until it suddenly works.

I'm slightly puzzled about the blootooth connections though. When I go to my Bluetooth settings on the phone, I have "KingsongMusic" listed as "Paired".  When I check to settings of this device there are two options, 1  Media audio, 2  Input device. Both are OFF when the wheel is turned off but only the Media audio is ON when the wheel is on. What is the option Input device for?

Another question is, what app is needed for the Pebble watch to work as a horn button?

Thanks guys for your help

@Juggler

on that little video demo I did with the Pebble watch I had Wheellog running as well as the KS app on my Android based Samsung S7. The horn or beeps are a function of the KS app, however it is the Wheellog app that allows some of the KS Wheel functions to be controlled by the Pebble watch. I don’t remember everything involved as I set the Pebble up last year (the experts can fill in the blanks) but in order for the Pebble to work with the Wheel you need Wheellog running on your phone and connected through Bluetooth to the Wheel and the Pebble connected to your phone running Wheellog. There is a Wheellog “companion app” that runs on the Pebble watch so you have to load that Wheellog companion app onto the Pebble......I found that app in, for lack of better term, in the Pebble App Store ?

Sounds complex, but it’s really not hard to set up, I always say if I can do it, anyone can ?

As far as Bluetooth connections with the KS Wheels, be aware that there are two separate Bluetooth radios in the Wheel. One is for playing music through the speakers, and this one (KS Music) is just like any other standard Bluetooth connection (similar to a separate Bluetooth speaker that you are probably familiar with) — this one is “paired” in your phone’s Bluetooth menu just like any other standard Bluetooth device.

The other Bluetooth radio is for the Wheel data and functions, that connection is controlled through either your KS app or a similar app like Wheellog as opposed to the other Bluetooth radio described above. One of the benefits of this system is that you can have the Wheel not running, but still use it to blast music through the speakers like a big round Boom Box (Please don’t let us catch you walking around with it on your shoulder like in the eighties ?).

on my KS 16S there is a separate little button that turns on the speaker Bluetooth so you can play music or whatever through the speakers without acctually turning on the wheel — I am not familiar with you KS 14 so I don’t know if it has a similar separate button.

Hope I didn’t just state the obvious stuff that you already know, just trying to simplify things and clear up any confusion on the basics. 

For more in-depth explanations I will hereby defer to the experts on all this stuff ?

Edited by Master Blaster
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1