Rode ACM 1300 for first time today. Disappointed in Gotway QC. Advise needed

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Tell me about. I couldn't believe my luck at receiving both wheels. The poor KS14S hasn't been seeing much wheel time since clearly the Mten3 is my fav right now.

Well, look at it this way, you can enjoy the anticipation awhile longer :)

I'm really curious what your take on this wheel will be, especially since you own a Luffy - you can dispel the notion that the Mten3 is just a more expensive version of the Luffy. If you feel like it you could shoot a short video that shows them side-by-sided :popcorn:

Marty, 

I think you might know this. From the main screen on the app I clicked on de in the top right corner and it said send successful. What did I just turn on or off and do you know how I would cancel it?

Thanks

Screenshot_20170911-234149.png

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I hardly ride my wife's KS16S either. I have a feeling I'm going to love Mten3!

Just seeing the larger sized pedals and tire thrills me! Add the addtional power and torque to the equation and the perfect little wheel is born!

Yes I can shoot a comparative video. Do you want the sexy or boring version?:P

I think that I may be afraid to look at a sexy version :blink1:

1 hour ago, Acturbo said:

Marty, 

I think you might know this. From the main screen on the app I clicked on de in the top right corner and it said send successful. What did I just turn on or off and do you know how I would cancel it?

Thanks

Screenshot_20170911-234149.png

That's the Horn. Every time you click it the beeper beeps. One way of letting people know that you're coming up behind them. Of course that implies that you have your phone on all the time. I never use it. Nobody probably does.

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

That's the Horn. Every time you click it the beeper beeps. One way of letting people know that you're coming up behind them. Of course that implies that you have your phone on all the time. I never use it. Nobody probably does.

Oh ok cool.  Thought I turned something on or off.  Didn't think it deserving of making a whole different thread.  Thanks for the help.  

5 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Seriously, don't use any of the sketchy Gotway apps (unless for configuration). You'll accidentally switch off all alarms or whatever. Wheellog all the way.

Yea I don't typically.  Wheel log was giving me issues so I opened it to check my battery life.  Touched that DE by accident.  

29 minutes ago, Acturbo said:

Yea I don't typically.  Wheel log was giving me issues so I opened it to check my battery life.  Touched that DE by accident.  

Once I configure on the Gotway app and quit the app I use darkness or Geometrics, HOWEVER why does the Gotway app forget my configuration and go back to its default speed alarm settings? This drives me crazy. (OS)  Does anyone have a solution for this? 

thanks , mark

1 hour ago, Mrd777 said:

Once I configure on the Gotway app and quit the app I use darkness or Geometrics, HOWEVER why does the Gotway app forget my configuration and go back to its default speed alarm settings? This drives me crazy. (OS)  Does anyone have a solution for this? 

thanks , mark

No IOS solution other than to buy a cheap ($30) Android phone and use that for your wheel riding. It really is the way to go.

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Seriously, don't use any of the sketchy Gotway apps (unless for configuration). You'll accidentally switch off all alarms or whatever. Wheellog all the way.

The main application screen (the one with the horn) is safe to use since there are no configuration buttons on it. Otherwise I agree with you of course.

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

That's the horn??? "De" = horn? :blink1:  Very intuitive...my guessing was language setting or something :rolleyes:

Ok so I put another 35km on this thing tonight.  I went over every type of terrain.  Gravel, rocks, pavement, potholes, sand etc.  Before riding I lowered the pressure to about 39 psi instead of 45 where I had it.  The noise is still there but only sporadically heard.  Not sure if its going to go away or if its only attributed to the fact that I lowered the pressure.  Gonna inflate it back to 45 and try again tomorrow and see what happens.  If its still as noticeable I think the next thing I'm going to do is attach a piece of 80 grit sandpaper to the wheel and spin it through the housing to try to get rid of wherever the imperfection in the shell is.  Besides the noise I'm very happy with the wheel.  It's a good balance between the MCM4 I had and the MSuper I have.    

Again I appreciate everyone's help.

19 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Does it sound like DE!  ?  Or does it sound like Beep?  An audio would be awesome!

1 hour ago, Acturbo said:

Ok so I put another 35km on this thing tonight.  I went over every type of terrain.  Gravel, rocks, pavement, potholes, sand etc.  Before riding I lowered the pressure to about 39 psi instead of 45 where I had it.  The noise is still there but only sporadically heard.  Not sure if its going to go away or if its only attributed to the fact that I lowered the pressure.  Gonna inflate it back to 45 and try again tomorrow and see what happens.  If its still as noticeable I think the next thing I'm going to do is attach a piece of 80 grit sandpaper to the wheel and spin it through the housing to try to get rid of wherever the imperfection in the shell is.  Besides the noise I'm very happy with the wheel.  It's a good balance between the MCM4 I had and the MSuper I have.    

Again I appreciate everyone's help.

Great idea regards the sandpaper.

On 9/11/2017 at 6:14 PM, Marty Backe said:

:laughbounce2:  It's a common ailment with us Gotway enthusiasts.

You definitely need more than one backup wheel. What were you thinking when you sold those two ;)

:roflmao:I am realising that myself now! My ACM is still of action as I haven't sorted a new motor yet and my Monster is back with Ian so I am currently back to being immobile or public transport. 

I need to get the ACM motor code for Gray at Yorkshire Airwheels but using a screwdriver my wrist and arm/elbow still hurt and crack/crunch - it doesn't sound or feel good lol. As I can't use it anyway I may ask if I can send it to him so he can check the code, order & fit the relevant motor then send back when complete. I don't mind paying for the repair as I trust it will be done correctly. After my battery incident with the Monster I'm weary about doing repairs myself.

Until I sent my Monster off I was actually getting used to using it for work so may use that as my main EUC and have the ACM as backup. The spray when it's raining/wet is a pain though. We really need a mudguard for these Monsters.

@Acturbo That's unlucky receiving a wheel already damaged like that. I'd have been tempted to return it as I can bash my wheels up perfectly well myself, I don't need any help from the manufacturer :efee612b4b: Good idea with the sandpaper!

2 minutes ago, TremF said:

:roflmao:I am realising that myself now! My ACM is still of action as I haven't sorted a new motor yet and my Monster is back with Ian so I am currently back to being immobile or public transport. 

I need to get the ACM motor code for Gray at Yorkshire Airwheels but using a screwdriver my wrist and arm/elbow still hurt and crack/crunch - it doesn't sound or feel good lol. As I can't use it anyway I may ask if I can send it to him so he can check the code, order & fit the relevant motor then send back when complete. I don't mind paying for the repair as I trust it will be done correctly. After my battery incident with the Monster I'm weary about doing repairs myself.

Until I sent my Monster off I was actually getting used to using it for work so may use that as my main EUC and have the ACM as backup. The spray when it's raining/wet is a pain though. We really need a mudguard for these Monsters.

@Acturbo That's unlucky receiving a wheel already damaged like that. I'd have been tempted to return it as I can bash my wheels up perfectly well myself, I don't need any help from the manufacturer :efee612b4b: Good idea with the sandpaper!

Did I miss a posting from you? What happened to your Monster. Last I recall was you had a new shell and it was running. What happened :confused1:

Didn't his battery connectors explode like @Rehab1's?

@TremF - maybe consider buying a Meepo board as a cheap backup?  Reviews sound pretty good, but range is only about 18 miles.  Top speed is around 36 kph though.  I was tempted to get one myself, but the sidewalks here are pretty bad in some places.

15 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Did I miss a posting from you? What happened to your Monster. Last I recall was you had a new shell and it was running. What happened :confused1:

I received the Monster back at the time of my accident but couldn't ride for a while due to recovering. I started riding it a couple of weeks back & noticed two things. First there was a strange tapping sound, which made me worry that something may be loose, and secondly my mileage was pretty poor considering I was only using it for work and riding quite slow in case the knocking sound was something serious.

I put off opening it due to my wrist and arm/elbow problems but last week my nerves got the better of me & I had to find out what was going on. I first opened the board side and everything was perfect so I opened the battery side.... It appears Ian had only opened the board side, connected the battery there and tested. The blown connectors are still blown and were hanging loose - hence the tapping sound. I was relieved at least that the board side was all good and it wasn't going to do anything nasty to me so rode with confidence for a couple of days while I arranged with Ian for it to go back.

Anyway I've sent it back to him with a clearer explanation of what's wrong and where, in case I wasn't clear last time, and a better photo. Hopefully it will come back all connected up properly & I can get to riding with confidence again. :)

14 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

@TremF - maybe consider buying a Meepo board as a cheap backup?  Reviews sound pretty good, but range is only about 18 miles.  Top speed is around 36 kph though.  I was tempted to get one myself, but the sidewalks here are pretty bad in some places.

I definitely wouldn't get away with riding a Meepo Board though even if I could our pavements (sidewalks) are really bad in most places :)

Gotway really needs to switch to those anti-spark / spark arrestor XT60 or XT90 connectors.  I'm sure people wouldn't mind paying a little extra for the peace of mind.

https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/10/29/xt60-xt90-with-spark-arrestors-why-you-should-make-the-switch/

35 minutes ago, TremF said:

I received the Monster back at the time of my accident but couldn't ride for a while due to recovering. I started riding it a couple of weeks back & noticed two things. First there was a strange tapping sound, which made me worry that something may be loose, and secondly my mileage was pretty poor considering I was only using it for work and riding quite slow in case the knocking sound was something serious.

I put off opening it due to my wrist and arm/elbow problems but last week my nerves got the better of me & I had to find out what was going on. I first opened the board side and everything was perfect so I opened the battery side.... It appears Ian had only opened the board side, connected the battery there and tested. The blown connectors are still blown and were hanging loose - hence the tapping sound. I was relieved at least that the board side was all good and it wasn't going to do anything nasty to me so rode with confidence for a couple of days while I arranged with Ian for it to go back.

Anyway I've sent it back to him with a clearer explanation of what's wrong and where, in case I wasn't clear last time, and a better photo. Hopefully it will come back all connected up properly & I can get to riding with confidence again. :)

I definitely wouldn't get away with riding a Meepo Board though even if I could our pavements (sidewalks) are really bad in most places :)

Thanks for the update. That's a bummer. With what you've been paying for shipping fees you probably could have bought another wheel ;)

Glad it's nothing serious. Here's hoping no more Monster problems for a long time :cheers:

57 minutes ago, TremF said:

It appears Ian had only opened the board side, connected the battery there and tested. The blown connectors are still blown and were hanging loose - hence the tapping sound. I

That's more than a bummer....

9 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Thanks for the reminder Hunka! After all the psychiatry and hypnotic treatments following the explosion those traumatic thoughts just came rushing back into my head! :crying:

Well after my ride last night I put her back on the desk this morning.  The gap that appears between the tire and shell seems to have actually increased instead of getting better.  I'm going to get another video up here when I get a chance, I'm going to put a tape measure and perhaps some calipers next to it so I can see exactly how much the discrepancy is.  I'm now leaning away from a shell defect and more towards a tire/rim issue.  

The saga continues.................................

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Thanks for the reminder Hunka! After all the psychiatry and hypnotic treatments following the explosion those traumatic thoughts just came rushing back into my head! :crying:

Sorry to bring it up!  :innocent1:  It's just that I still haven't heard of a good reason why they exploded like that during re-connection unless there was some sort of short or massive voltage difference.  Even still, no one has released specific instructions as to the "proper" method of connecting the batteries up that I have seen so this issue could happen to others if you and TremF experienced it.  Did you ever figure out what the mistake was?  Is it better to connect one pack to the control board first and then add the other pack in?  Or should you connect the two packs together first before connecting to the control board? :confused1:  Or should you just connect them as fast as you can and pray?

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Sorry to bring it up!  :innocent1:  It's just that I still haven't heard of a good reason why they exploded like that during re-connection unless there was some sort of short or massive voltage difference.  Even still, no one has released specific instructions as to the "proper" method of connecting the batteries up that I have seen so this issue could happen to others if you and TremF experienced it.  Did you ever figure out what the mistake was?  Is it better to connect one pack to the control board first and then add the other pack in?  Or should you connect the two packs together first before connecting to the control board? :confused1:  Or should you just connect them as fast as you can and pray?

Only kidding! :) I was more frightened by my truck trapping me between the dock than anything! 

I have a suspicion that if the male and female XL60 connectors come in close proximity to each other in a reversed polarity attitude that it might create a huge spark/ explosion much like an arc welder.

The male/female molded ends of the XL60 connectors will not join together to cause a direct short circuit but the electrodes inside the plastic shells do come within a 1/4" of each other when placed in close proximity. Is there enough amperage/ voltage to cause a arc over a 1/4" gap? I'm not sure.

I now connect both battery packs together, depress the power button on the EUC to fully discharge the capacitors and then connect the packs to the main board. There will always be a small spark at that moment but nothing like what  @TremF and I experienced! 

Archived