Jump to content

Rode ACM 1300 for first time today. Disappointed in Gotway QC. Advise needed


Recommended Posts

Good afternoon everyone,

I purchased an ACM 1300 from Gotway America a couple of weeks ago.  Due to a leg injury I did not unbox it until this morning.  First impressions out of the box were not all positive.  The seams for the case on both sides were less than perfect.  I was ok with this seeing as how I know that Gotways QC is not top notch.  Not happy mind you after spending more than 1k on it but I kinda expected something like that.  Upon riding it for the first time my initial reaction was good.  It felt smooth, was very maneuverable and acceleration and braking were very smooth.  After riding for a half mile or so I began to hear a creaking/grinding/chirping noise coming from the ACM at about 5-10 mph, initially I though I had picked up some debris and it was rattling around inside the wheel, could not find any debris present.  I figured I give it some time and maybe it would go away.  Not the case, I went 13km and decided it was time to hang it up and figure out what was happening.  I cannot get the sound to reoccur from a standstill, nor does it happen at higher speeds.  It appears to only be in that sweet spot of 5-10 mph.  I'm not sure what could be causing it.  I have contacted the seller to ask if he wants me to open it or send it back.  It's brand new perfect condition been dropped 0 times.  Anyone experience anything like this?

Not a super happy camper, we will see what happens :angry:

IMG_20170909_144305.jpg

IMG_20170909_144323.jpg

Edited by Acturbo
Change
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmm didn't the other guy who bought his ACM from them also have case issues where they forgot to place the top foam on, and it ended up getting banged up during shipping?  They also forgot his charger, but they sent him one I think.

I wonder if it could be the bearing squeeking?  Maybe a little silicone spray might be a simple fix if you can get to the bearing area?

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

These are fundamentally simple machines. A shell, motor, tire, batteries, and control board. There are not mysterious components that make noises.

What you describe is a classic twig/stick/branch, etc., stuck in the shell. This is known among ACM owners and is due to the shape of the shell and how it really encloses the where.

Believe it or not, a stick can get stuck between the tire and the shell, at the top. You cannot see it - period. What you have to do is get a coat hanger or similar and fish it up around the top of the wheel. You might need a strong flashlight and maybe even a mirror (the small kind on the end of an articulating arm). 

I'll bet you dollars to donuts that's the 'problem', meaning it's not a problem. 

Thanks Marty, was not aware of this common issue.  I'll check it out and see what I can find.  Help is appreciated.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

These are fundamentally simple machines. A shell, motor, tire, batteries, and control board. There are no mysterious components that make noises.

What you describe is a classic twig/stick/branch, etc., stuck in the shell. This is known among ACM owners and is due to the shape of the shell and how it really encloses the wheel.

Believe it or not, a stick can get stuck between the tire and the shell, at the top. You cannot see it - period. What you have to do is get a coat hanger or similar and fish it up around the top of the wheel. You might need a strong flashlight and maybe even a mirror (the small kind on the end of an articulating arm). 

I'll bet you dollars to donuts that's the 'problem', meaning it's not a problem. 

I have now been able to duplicate the noise at a standstill.  Have looked inside with a flashlight and also tried running an electric wire around the inside of the shell and the noise is still there.  The strange thing is that the noise happens at exactly the same rotational point.  I can predict exactly when the noise will occur when the wheel comes around to a certain point.  I do not have a mirror available until tomorrow when I get to work but it seems odd if something was stuck in the shell I would be able to pinpoint the exact time the noise would occur.  I have looked for imperfections in the tire as well as the rim and see none.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Acturbo said:

I have now been able to duplicate the noise at a standstill.  Have looked inside with a flashlight and also tried running an electric wire around the inside of the shell and the noise is still there.  The strange thing is that the noise happens at exactly the same rotational point.  I can predict exactly when the noise will occur when the wheel comes around to a certain point.  I do not have a mirror available until tomorrow when I get to work but it seems odd if something was stuck in the shell I would be able to pinpoint the exact time the noise would occur.  I have looked for imperfections in the tire as well as the rim and see none.  

Maybe it's not possible for you to provide, but a video may help. Otherwise it's very difficult to truly understand the problem and offer advice.

But remember my description of the wheel. The control boards don't make noise. The batteries don't make noise. So it pretty much comes down to the spinning tire hitting the shell either directly or indirectly via a stick stuck in the shell. I suppose there could be a problem in the axle/bearings, however I've never heard of that being a problem.

But I'm only hypothesizing based on the description of the sound. Don't take what I say to the bank ;)

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One other thought. Perhaps the tire is out of round? If you carefully spin the tire by hand you could determine if there's a high spot. Maybe the high spot is hitting the shell or a twig.

What pressure are you running the tire at (I run my ACM at 45psi max). If you lower the pressure does the sound go away?

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Maybe it's not possible for you to provide, but a video may help. Otherwise it's very difficult to truly understand the problem and offer advice.

But remember my description of the wheel. The control boards don't make noise. The batteries don't make noise. So it pretty much comes down to the spinning tire hitting the shell either directly or indirectly via a stick stuck in the shell. I suppose there could be a problem in the axle/bearings, however I've never heard of that being a problem.

But I'm only hypothesizing based on the description of the sound. Don't take what I say to the bank ;)

Thanks, I'd love to capture it on video, but the noise is so faint at a standstill I doubt it would come through on the video.  I'll check it with the mirror tomorrow and see if I see anything.  If not I'll do my best to get it on video.  Thanks for the help.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

One other thought. Perhaps the tire is out of round? If you carefully spin the tire by hand you could determine if there's a high spot. Maybe the high spot is hitting the shell or a twig.

What pressure are you running the tire at (I run my ACM at 45psi max). If you lower the pressure does the sound go away?

I set it at 44 PSI when I took it out for the first time.  I checked to see if there was a high spot in the tire by comparing it against the side of the shell where it enters and I see no noticeable difference.  I can try lowering the pressure and see what happens.

Edited by Acturbo
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Acturbo said:

Thanks, I'd love to capture it on video, but the noise is so faint at a standstill I doubt it would come through on the video.  I'll check it with the mirror tomorrow and see if I see anything.  If not I'll do my best to get it on video.  Thanks for the help.  

Try riding on rough terrain and see if it shakes out.  A bumpy trail might dislodge it.  Worth a try,

But you say it works well except for that one speed range.:ph34r:  Ahh, fugedabotit, there is something wrong.

Edited by steve454
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, steve454 said:

Try riding on rough terrain and see if it shakes out.  A bumpy trail might dislodge it.  Worth a try,

Thanks Steve.  I just talked to the seller and he's advising me to put some higher speed miles on it and see if it goes away.  I will check it with the mirror tomorrow to start and I may even have an endoscope at work.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bet it may be a styrofoam peanut stuck up there. Try driving the machine backwards, meaning reverse the front to the back and ride it back end first. Then try to spray some compressed air up there. Even one of those cans should be enough if its a stuck piece of styrofoam. Hope that helps. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Acturbo said:

Thanks Steve.  I just talked to the seller and he's advising me to put some higher speed miles on it and see if it goes away.  I will check it with the mirror tomorrow to start and I may even have an endoscope at work.  

Endoscope type device would be cool. Do let us know what you ultimately discover.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

I bet it may be a styrofoam peanut stuck up there. Try driving the machine backwards, meaning reverse the front to the back and ride it back end first. Then try to spray some compressed air up there. Even one of those cans should be enough if its a stuck piece of styrofoam. Hope that helps. 

Unlikely seeing as how there were no peanuts in the box.  I guess it could have come from the factory.  I just rode it again for a half mile.  The noise is so annoying, it sounds like crunching when I hit bumps and its a rotational noise at speeds between 5-10 mph.  The rest of the time its either not there or only happens for a split second.  Hopefully I find something out tomorrow.  Every time I ride it I wanna get right back off.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Hmm didn't the other guy who bought his ACM from them also have case issues where they forgot to place the top foam on, and it ended up getting banged up during shipping?  They also forgot his charger, but they sent him one I think.

I wonder if it could be the bearing squeeking?  Maybe a little silicone spray might be a simple fix if you can get to the bearing area?

Yeah that was me. Your seams look beautiful compared to mine!  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Acturbo said:

I've decided I'm not taking anything apart.  This wheel is brand new and if this can't be figured out it has to go back.  I understand there is a certain level of DIY that comes with owning an EUC, however, not straight out of the box........................................................

I can complete agree.  I hope you can work something out.

I feel it's not fair when buying an EUC.  It seems like once it shows up at your door you can't return or exchange.

The plastic shell is really tough.  I just got back from camping where I did some trail riding.  I went over a loose rock and the darn thing went flying spinning out of control and the trolley handle came off.  It was banged up but did not crack.

I would exchange it but I'm guessing it won't be easy.....hope I'm wrong.

Edited by CaptainKBLS
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Good idea!

If the tire is only hitting the shell at a certain degree of rotation  @Acturbo could wrap the outside of the tire with aluminum foil or coat it with carpenter's chalk and then rotate the wheel. If there is specific region that the tire is contacting the shell the foil will either rip or the chalk will rub off at that point of contact.

Carpenters chalk - great suggestion. Easily bought at the hardware store.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Acturbo said:

Upon further investigation I have found that there is def a problem with alignment or the tire being out of round.  

It's hard to tell in the video if it is out of round, it might be easier to see if the wheel was turned on and picked up and allowed to spin until it cuts out.  Be careful if you try that.  But it does look like the shell is very close to the tire.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Acturbo said:

Ok.  Upon further investigation I have found that there is def a problem with alignment or the tire being out of round.  I did not see it at first.  I was blowing out the casing with compressed air and noticed it while rotating the wheel.  Hopefully it comes across in the video.  Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.  

Nothing blew out of the wheel except for some dust.

Yes, I think I see it. This can be confirmed by running the wheel at a lower pressure and observing whether the sound disappears.

You could take @Rehab1's suggestion and put carpenters chalk on the tire to see where it rubs off. Maybe it's a tiny spot that could be abraded (sandpaper) a little to fix it. Or use the same technique to determine what part of the shell is being hit, and abrade that.

Tires hitting the shells (other manufacturers too) is not unheard of.  

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Acturbo said:

I'm sure not unheard of but it certainly stinks to have to deal with from a new item.  You would think they would check things like that before putting them in a box for shipment.  We all know how Gotways quality control is though.  

I have now owned 3 Gotways and 2 of them have had issues right out of the box.  My MCM4 died on day 2 because the board went bad, my MSuper has been fine so far, and now this one has the rubbing concern.  I need Apple or Samsung to release a wheel lol.  

I agree with you, and I'm certainly not apologizing for Gotway QC issues. Just trying to describe reality and what we need to put up with to enjoy some of our wheels.

I have a KS14S that behaves like an Airwheel half of the time. But I'm being patient and hoping for a fix from KingSong. Such is life in the EUC world.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...