Has your MiniPro ever cut out and dropped you?

On 6/6/2018 at 1:12 PM, Vik's said:

@GrAnd 1.1.7 is surely a popular version or so it seems.. at least among the early adopters. But not the safest one as there is a greater potential risk of being thrown off the minipro and the fact that in case of stepping off it (unintentionally) while moving, the minipro will proceed without rider pretending like nothing happened…

Viks, do you know for sure that a later version has this fixed? Personally I am starting to think the problem is indeed the BMS current limit, as 'Floridian' has documented on previous page.

Is 1.3.1 safe, is 1.4.1 safe? Thanks for your help...

Edited by trevmar

I’ve only got about 100 miles on my Pro but it seems to be rock solid as of now.  Using it daily.  That being said... reading stuff like this always makes me nervous.  I am running the latest firmware and have a factory refurb 2018 320 model.  As I understand it, this is the least likely to act like this?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, IRK said:

I am running the latest firmware and have a factory refurb 2018 320 model.  As I understand it, this is the least likely to act like this?

Nobody seems to know for sure yet. Your report of no problems is comforting :) If your MiniPro has the battery labelled as 5700maH it is my theory (and hope) that your refurbished MiniPro is close to what the original designer(s) intended, yes  :) The 2018 edition units which throw me repeatedly have batteries labelled "4300maH" and came from Amazon seller "Segway USA". I will be doing some more testing on this issue, look for info on the battery situation in the thread I made on the 4300maH and 5700maH battery options :)

1 hour ago, IRK said:

I’ve only got about 100 miles on my Pro but it seems to be rock solid as of now.  Using it daily.  That being said... reading stuff like this always makes me nervous.  I am running the latest firmware and have a factory refurb 2018 320 model.  As I understand it, this is the least likely to act like this?

Youre probably safe. Noone can say anything for sure. But nice to hear youre liking it! :) 

let me just open a second door for you.

and give me a little chance. Read my comment. Just take tour time :) 

go look a little into electric unicycles and consider a little bit to maybe ipgrade in the future. I once had a mini pro. Wonderfull machine. But there were 4 issues with it and one third i stopped noticing. But it was still there. 

1. The speed is too slow. When my freinds were biking home from school i was 1 meter behind, then 3 then 10... and on top of that:

2. When i hit the limit. It obnoxiously titls me back and beeps. But if you then try to resist it and push further to get all the way across the road it does what i like to call “safety thats so safe it becomes dangerous” and it brakes you so tou have to step off or stop and somehow keep your balance on a 40 degree tilt :furious:

now imagine this on a busy road where the light turned red and cars start rushing my direction. Then a white van honks and is a fee meeters away from me while i step off it and pull it the last meters to the other side. I thought i was gonna get run over that day...

3. When you fall off it. It keeps on going and starts beeping. Going full speed. But its beeping because it senses that theres suddenly no weight on the pressure pads at a high speed. But even when it senses that the engineers apparently thoufh it was a good idea to make it keep going full speed instead of making it slowly brake...

this has sent my minipro into walls a few times until i found out to have it in a leash... but then it just runs back into you making you fall over like a bowling pin after you just got up.

4. This issue is just plain ol physichs when it has 2 wheels usually on of the wheels go on the obstacle before the other making the whole thing tilt sideways. This makes it easiyer to get trown off.

mine broke after 4 months. Then i started getting money for a gotway tesla.

i got it. It was hard at first. But after learning it. It wasnt that much different from riding the minr pro. Other than it was better. Smoother, faster. The tiltback was a warning not an “enforcement to stop”

I Regret nothing!!!

:D 

i hope i opened a second door to you too :) 

Edited by Shad0z

14 hours ago, trevmar said:

Nobody seems to know for sure yet. Your report of no problems is comforting :) If your MiniPro has the battery labelled as 5700maH it is my theory (and hope) that your refurbished MiniPro is close to what the original designer(s) intended, yes  :) The 2018 edition units which throw me repeatedly have batteries labelled "4300maH" and came from Amazon seller "Segway USA". I will be doing some more testing on this issue, look for info on the battery situation in the thread I made on the 4300maH and 5700maH battery options :)

Thanks for the info. I read that thread as well and am interested to see what you come up with. 

Luckily mine is a certified refurbished and does have the 5700 battery. Seems like a better one to have!

14 hours ago, Shad0z said:

Youre probably safe. Noone can say anything for sure. But nice to hear youre liking it! :) 

let me just open a second door for you.

and give me a little chance. Read my comment. Just take tour time :) 

go look a little into electric unicycles and consider a little bit to maybe ipgrade in the future. I once had a mini pro. Wonderfull machine. But there were 4 issues with it and one third i stopped noticing. But it was still there. 

1. The speed is too slow. When my freinds were biking home from school i was 1 meter behind, then 3 then 10... and on top of that:

2. When i hit the limit. It obnoxiously titls me back and beeps. But if you then try to resist it and push further to get all the way across the road it does what i like to call “safety thats so safe it becomes dangerous” and it brakes you so tou have to step off or stop and somehow keep your balance on a 40 degree tilt :furious:

now imagine this on a busy road where the light turned red and cars start rushing my direction. Then a white van honks and is a fee meeters away from me while i step off it and pull it the last meters to the other side. I thought i was gonna get run over that day...

3. When you fall off it. It keeps on going and starts beeping. Going full speed. But its beeping because it senses that theres suddenly no weight on the pressure pads at a high speed. But even when it senses that the engineers apparently thoufh it was a good idea to make it keep going full speed instead of making it slowly brake...

this has sent my minipro into walls a few times until i found out to have it in a leash... but then it just runs back into you making you fall over like a bowling pin after you just got up.

4. This issue is just plain ol physichs when it has 2 wheels usually on of the wheels go on the obstacle before the other making the whole thing tilt sideways. This makes it easiyer to get trown off.

mine broke after 4 months. Then i started getting money for a gotway tesla.

i got it. It was hard at first. But after learning it. It wasnt that much different from riding the minr pro. Other than it was better. Smoother, faster. The tiltback was a warning not an “enforcement to stop”

I Regret nothing!!!

I am very interested honestly. However I find the MiniPro great for what I need and what I am using not for, not to mention fun. Although I am a little bit of a speed but and am going to be stepping up to a EUC at some point for sure. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IRK said:

I am very interested honestly. However I find the MiniPro great for what I need and what I am using not for, not to mention fun. Although I am a little bit of a speed but and am going to be stepping up to a EUC at some point for sure. 

I had the same opinion when i had mine. But my opinion quickly changed to that i need to covert everyone as ASAP! :P

you will understand :D 

Quick update on MiniPro 2018 cutting out and throwing... I put an old 2016 vintage 5700maH battery running the latest BMS on my 2018 Minipro N3M260 (firmware v1.1.9) and it now goes nicely up and down the end of our driveway, where I used to be thrown almost every time. This is a quick update only, as I now want to examine all the variables - tyres, etc - and thoroughly investigate the peak power which each of the old and new battery packs delivers. I have started a new topic to discuss the batteries.

If anybody has both 4300maH batteries and old 5700maH batteries, have you noticed any difference in how each handles minor (1-3cm) obstacles?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, trevmar said:

Quick update on MiniPro 2018 cutting out and throwing... I put an old 2016 vintage 5700maH battery running the latest BMS on my 2018 Minipro N3M260 (firmware v1.1.9) and it now goes nicely up and down the end of our driveway, where I used to be thrown almost every time. This is a quick update only, as I now want to examine all the variables - tyres, etc - and thoroughly investigate the peak power which each of the old and new battery packs delivers. I have started a new topic to discuss the batteries.

If anybody has both 4300maH batteries and old 5700maH batteries, have you noticed any difference in how each handles minor (1-3cm) obstacles?

just go brute force brotha! stop measuring centimeters, start measuring kilometers!

Go EUC! :w00t2:

On 8/4/2018 at 4:38 AM, Shad0z said:

just go brute force brotha! stop measuring centimeters, start measuring kilometers!

Go EUC! :w00t2:

Yes, I’m considering the Segway Z10.  Maybe. One day.

Until then no brute force is needed with the MiniPro.  It just works and runs.  Plug and Play.

Not much protective gear needed, other than a helmet.

Works for slow city sidewalks and bike paths.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Rocky Romero said:

Yes, I’m considering the Segway Z10.  Maybe. One day.

Until then no brute force is needed with the MiniPro.  It just works and runs.  Plug and Play.

Not much protective gear needed, other than a helmet.

Works for slow city sidewalks and bike paths.

you dont even have to start with a z10, you can even start smaller ;) 

• 6 months later...
On 8/2/2018 at 5:22 PM, Shad0z said:

Then i started getting money for a gotway tesla.

I Regret nothing!!!

I second Shad0z on his choice.

I have a mini plus though, but had similar caveats as pro = slow, tiltback and a few dangerous FW caveats

Bought a Tesla .... 2? Years ago (time flies) and it takes a solid week to get off and turn somewhat properly, another few months to "dont mind" the wobble if you bend legs too much or at times when speeding up hitting bumps. Nothing happens though, it wobbles a bit then chills, now i don't think about it but in beginning i was worried.

But once you get ONE with it, there is nothing like the feeling of:

going full out at 40-50km/h on a nice road with the sun in your face

Or

Twitch turning around close obstacles at lower speeds (like reckless bicyclists or cars ;-) )

Or

Laid back cruising at 30-40 km/h

I still have my mini, but i basically only use it for slowspeed cruise when gaming or when i do not want to pack all the safety gear on (i mean its so slow i can run faster. App says 20km/h but i measured it to 16, the tesla sideload app says 50km/h and it is 50km/h, no need to lie at theese speed i guess)

Then you have the range, oh my good. Ninebot maybe 10km. Tesla 50-60km of not going full out of course, then you are looking at maybe 20km.

So i use the Tesla instead of my car on long runs (beach, next city and whatnot) at times and almost every day in the summer and nowadays also mostly on short runs. The mini mostly serves as a secondary vehicle for friends of they don't feel like biking :-) and it's my hope that my GF will learn to ride it..shes a bit more careful and only tried once, but felt unsecure, so will hold her a few more rides and then she should be ok :+)

I am 45 y.o. so don't worry, its not an age thing to ride a EUC, here in Sweden its mostly "young" people i have met (12 to 30 y.o.), but in US it seems to be mostly geezers like myself :rolleyes: at least on this forum :)

Edited by Boogieman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2019 at 8:31 PM, Boogieman said:

I second Shad0z on his choice.

I have a mini plus though, but had similar caveats as pro = slow, tiltback and a few dangerous FW caveats

Bought a Tesla .... 2? Years ago (time flies) and it takes a solid week to get off and turn somewhat properly, another few months to "dont mind" the wobble if you bend legs too much or at times when speeding up hitting bumps. Nothing happens though, it wobbles a bit then chills, now i don't think about it but in beginning i was worried.

But once you get ONE with it, there is nothing like the feeling of:

going full out at 40-50km/h on a nice road with the sun in your face

Or

Twitch turning around close obstacles at lower speeds (like reckless bicyclists or cars ;-) )

Or

Laid back cruising at 30-40 km/h

I still have my mini, but i basically only use it for slowspeed cruise when gaming or when i do not want to pack all the safety gear on (i mean its so slow i can run faster. App says 20km/h but i measured it to 16, the tesla sideload app says 50km/h and it is 50km/h, no need to lie at theese speed i guess)

Then you have the range, oh my good. Ninebot maybe 10km. Tesla 50-60km of not going full out of course, then you are looking at maybe 20km.

So i use the Tesla instead of my car on long runs (beach, next city and whatnot) at times and almost every day in the summer and nowadays also mostly on short runs. The mini mostly serves as a secondary vehicle for friends of they don't feel like biking :-) and it's my hope that my GF will learn to ride it..shes a bit more careful and only tried once, but felt unsecure, so will hold her a few more rides and then she should be ok :+)

I am 45 y.o. so don't worry, its not an age thing to ride a EUC, here in Sweden its mostly "young" people i have met (12 to 30 y.o.), but in US it seems to be mostly geezers like myself :rolleyes: at least on this forum :)

Yeah. Now i got an msuper X. Its lile the more tanky stable version of the tesla. I love it. At first riding euc is kinda like the mini. But after being one with the wheel. The mini is far worse

• 2 weeks later...

While it didn’t cut out, sub zero weather sure did stop it from functioning. The Minipro is Rocksolid and VERY safe. Majority of people having issues should ride more. Learn to balance without balancing is the point. Heavier riders will also suffer from their weight distribution affecting the sensors ie steering, speed ect.

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

Mine recently failed and I ended up breaking my hand.  It was sudden with almost no chance to react except to instinctively reach out to break the fall.  I recently swapped out my control board but forgot to apply extra thermal paste which is what probably caused the control board  to heat up and then shut down.  Prior to the big fall, I have over 1000 trouble free miles on 3 separate minipros.

I used silver paste on my heatsinks. The failures were not due to hardware, but to software bugs (firmware bugs). As @WEagle95 told us, the interrupts re handled badly, there is no handler for bus error, and every so often it will just fail. Depending how heavy you are and the terrain you are driving it on.

I have had no problems with my Airwheel S5 (touch wood). It is slower, but solid...

• Like 1

Our minipro had several cut-outs.

during normal drive on the pavement, the balancing stopped. Good acrobatic skills saved my children from injuries.

It looks like carry-it mode is activated.

Factory reset did not work.

During Up side down calibration only one ledbar is green, the other remains off. Don’t know if this is an indication of a mailfunction.

It’s only one month after the warranty expired :-(

Nevertheless I will send it to Segway for investigation.

• 2 years later...