GW Monster 22" vs KS-18s - What are your thoughts?

Catlord17

I'm probably going to eventually buy both of these wheels, unless something better comes along in the mean time, but my next wheel will otherwise be one of these two.  What I'm thinking right now is the KS-18S, but I'd like your opinions on how they compare, which one you would recommend for me to get first and to understand why you make that specific recommendation.  Thank you all in advance for taking the time to share your advice with me.

53 minutes ago, Catlord17 said:

I'm probably going to eventually buy both of these wheels, unless something better comes along in the mean time, but my next wheel will otherwise be one of these two.  What I'm thinking right now is the KS-18S, but I'd like your opinions on how they compare, which one you would recommend for me to get first and to understand why you make that specific recommendation.  Thank you all in advance for taking the time to share your advice with me.

There are so many Monster and KS-18S discussions in the forum. I would recommend that you do some Forum Mining so that you can form an opinion. It's impossible for us to recommend a wheel without knowing anything about you, what your expectations are, your riding style, your riding experience, etc. It's like me asking you what kind of car I should buy.

If you have any specific questions we can probably help.

I don't know anyone who has a Monster and a KS18S. In those price ranges most people stick to their own brands.

My apologies, I did not intend to clutter the forum with something already done to death.  In that case, Marty, let me ask you this.  Compared to the MSuper V3s+, how easy is it to control the Monster while it is being mounted and dismounted?  I find that the MSuper is really top heavy, which makes it hard for me to control while I'm not riding it, or not riding it fast enough.  Is the monster worse? I know it weighs more.

6 minutes ago, Catlord17 said:

My apologies, I did not intend to clutter the forum with something already done to death.  In that case, Marty, let me ask you this.  Compared to the MSuper V3s+, how easy is it to control the Monster while it is being mounted and dismounted?  I find that the MSuper is really top heavy, which makes it hard for me to control while I'm not riding it, or not riding it fast enough.  Is the monster worse? I know it weighs more.

No problem, and I hope I didn't come across harsh. It's just that I could write endlessly on some of this stuff and I don't want to be repeating myself too much ;)

The Monster is not the best super slow wheel. It has so much mass that to control it when it's barely moving takes a lot out of you physically. But once it's rolling it's a fantastic ride - smooth, steady, and fast. It will be worse than your MSuper.

You didn't come across as harsh, I just happen to have a forum attached to my business and I complain about people that very same thing, so I understand, and I thought it was appropriate to apologize for.  I just didn't realize how tired I was when I posted, or I probably would have thought of doing a simple search first! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the input.  I thought that would be the case.  So I should be aiming smaller and less top heavy then.  But of course the KS-18S is neither compared to my MSuper.  So to sit, or not to sit.  Hmmm.  I think I'd like something I can sit on, so I guess the KS-18S is probably going to be it for the next one.  Not that it much matters, given the circumstances will probably prevent me from buying one for a while.  But I appreciate your help.

2 minutes ago, Catlord17 said:

You didn't come across as harsh, I just happen to have a forum attached to my business and I complain about people that very same thing, so I understand, and I thought it was appropriate to apologize for.  I just didn't realize how tired I was when I posted, or I probably would have thought of doing a simple search first! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the input.  I thought that would be the case.  So I should be aiming smaller and less top heavy then.  But of course the KS-18S is neither compared to my MSuper.  So to sit, or not to sit.  Hmmm.  I think I'd like something I can sit on, so I guess the KS-18S is probably going to be it for the next one.  Not that it much matters, given the circumstances will probably prevent me from buying one for a while.  But I appreciate your help.

We have some Monster riders here in California that have become masters at riding the Monster while sitting. It seems that once they got the seat that's now how they prefer to ride it. Very comfortable and surprisingly to everyone involved, climbing steep hills on the Monster while seated actually out performs all other wheels, including the ACM!

I prefer the Monster form factor, design, tire size, battery size; but for everything else (electronics, most of all) the Kingsong is clearly better.

Really hard decision, I would not know which to choose either. Maybe depending on what you want to do with it. Speed in flatty flat flat (definitely flat) area: Monster (because nothing can really go wrong). Anything where you really stress the wheel (mountains) or need to rely on its quality: Kingsong.

My wish: after the KS18L (low version of 18S), Kingsong do a Monster clone that becomes the KS22 or KS24:wub:

20 hours ago, Catlord17 said:

Go with the monster you won't regret it, the monster takes a lil time to learn how to ride it based on your riding style but it's comfortable no matter what type of riding you do, you jus have to get use to it because it's Lil bigger. The more you ride it the more ur gonna enjoy it, trust me. The range is great, the size is great and the appearance is better than the kingsong

3 hours ago, Catlord17 said:

I find that the MSuper is really top heavy, which makes it hard for me to control while I'm not riding it, or not riding it fast enough.

I can tell you my MSuper V2 is top-heavy enough that, when away from the stand, it must be positioned very carefully (when leaned against a wall, for example). After it fell over several times when leaned upright, I began positioning it horizontally when leaning it. In the stand though, it stays upright fine. The top-heaviness does not make the wheel hard to control, even when riding slowly. Bear in mind I am referring to V2.

5 hours ago, Shabba said:

Go with the monster you won't regret it, the monster takes a lil time to learn how to ride it based on your riding style but it's comfortable no matter what type of riding you do, you jus have to get use to it because it's Lil bigger. The more you ride it the more ur gonna enjoy it, trust me. The range is great, the size is great and the appearance is better than the kingsong

Well a seat is really important, and for my purposes it's going to be used for real transportation, not so much just fun.  The Monster is 70 pounds - I only weigh twice that - and it's got no trolley handle and isn't a tall form factor.  The KS-18S has no trolley handle, but is a tall form factor, and weighs about 50 pounds, if I understand correctly... making it not need a trolley handle, and making it a much better choice for using for transportation, as far as I can tell. Neither one is really ideal, given the size, but at least the KS-18S should be something I could reasonably walk around with indoors without a trolley handle.  So I'm leaning to the KS-18S for those reasons.  

As far as I can tell, the Monster seems to be more a recreational wheel, great for long rides that don't require it to be easily transported or well behaved indoors in restaurants and malls at the end.

Would those of you who have a Monster agree with this assessment?  I'm likely to end up with both, but for now I need to get something I can use to travel significant distances and sit down, and then bring into a restaurant or store afterwards without having to kill myself in the process.

3 hours ago, Catlord17 said:

Well a seat is really important, and for my purposes it's going to be used for real transportation, not so much just fun.  The Monster is 70 pounds - I only weigh twice that - and it's got no trolley handle and isn't a tall form factor.  The KS-18S has no trolley handle, but is a tall form factor, and weighs about 50 pounds, if I understand correctly... making it not need a trolley handle, and making it a much better choice for using for transportation, as far as I can tell. Neither one is really ideal, given the size, but at least the KS-18S should be something I could reasonably walk around with indoors without a trolley handle.  So I'm leaning to the KS-18S for those reasons.  

As far as I can tell, the Monster seems to be more a recreational wheel, great for long rides that don't require it to be easily transported or well behaved indoors in restaurants and malls at the end.

Would those of you who have a Monster agree with this assessment?  I'm likely to end up with both, but for now I need to get something I can use to travel significant distances and sit down, and then bring into a restaurant or store afterwards without having to kill myself in the process.

Well with the seat you can sit down on the monster and it might even be as tall or taller than the kingsong (that's with the seat), I use my monster for all types of occasions, the grocery store, restaurants, beach, parks etc. I don't push it around if I go to the grocery store for example I just lean it against something close to customer service, do my shopping then I take off as quick as I can before the questions start pouring in. Some of the more active members on the forum use theirs for a lot of trail riding but it can be used for anything, I just really like the monster as you can tell, hahahaha. How important is being able to sit is to you? Because the MSUPER V3 1600 is a great wheel with a trolley handle. IMO that's the best all around wheel and I think most people would agree with me besides MARTY (aka mr. ACM)  :laughbounce2:

2 hours ago, Shabba said:

Well with the seat you can sit down on the monster and it might even be as tall or taller than the kingsong (that's with the seat), I use my monster for all types of occasions, the grocery store, restaurants, beach, parks etc. I don't push it around if I go to the grocery store for example I just lean it against something close to customer service, do my shopping then I take off as quick as I can before the questions start pouring in. Some of the more active members on the forum use theirs for a lot of trail riding but it can be used for anything, I just really like the monster as you can tell, hahahaha. How important is being able to sit is to you? Because the MSUPER V3 1600 is a great wheel with a trolley handle. IMO that's the best all around wheel and I think most people would agree with me besides MARTY (aka mr. ACM)  :laughbounce2:

You feel safe leaving a $2k+ machine unattended personally in public?!  I would never feel comfortable doing that.  That's part of why a trolley handle was important.  Being able to sit is getting more and more important as my rides get longer and longer, because of the foot fatigue and pain, although the pain is diminishing as I find ways to make my footing more secure, and the fatigue isn't terrible anymore.  But sitting would definitely be a major bonus.

How is the Monster for pushing around unmounted without the seat on it when you're standing?  I'm 5'7" tall and this is not something I want to be stooping over to push around either.  It'll take me a while to feel comfortable enough to try to quickly mount and ride across intersections, for example.

I have the KS18AY and really like the way it rides. I'm 6' tall and weigh 194lbs. I only have to slightly bend at the waist to push the KS18AY along when not riding it. 

I've ridden the Monster before and while riding it my knees were hurting all the time; probably because it made me ride much more 'bull legged' due it being wider than the KS18AY and almost as tall as the KS18AY. 

I'll never get a Monster because of this. 

1 hour ago, Catlord17 said:

You feel safe leaving a $2k+ machine unattended personally in public?!  I would never feel comfortable doing that.  That's part of why a trolley handle was important.  Being able to sit is getting more and more important as my rides get longer and longer, because of the foot fatigue and pain, although the pain is diminishing as I find ways to make my footing more secure, and the fatigue isn't terrible anymore.  But sitting would definitely be a major bonus.

How is the Monster for pushing around unmounted without the seat on it when you're standing?  I'm 5'7" tall and this is not something I want to be stooping over to push around either.  It'll take me a while to feel comfortable enough to try to quickly mount and ride across intersections, for example.

Yea I feel safe, am more worried about someone knocking it down on accident or kids trying to touch it, am 6'1 and pushing it is actually not that bad, I don't push it more than maybe 20-30 yards at a time though. I use mine as real transportation like you plan on doin so I ride in the street every day and i mount on it and go pretty fast at the intersections, I ride through crowds at slow speed and it's pretty controllable to me but then again its something I developed over time because it's so different from the wheels I bought before it but it won't take you long, then again I don't know your skill level, you might be able to hop on it the first day and take off like a super hero

3 hours ago, abinder3 said:

I have the KS18AY and really like the way it rides. I'm 6' tall and weigh 194lbs. I only have to slightly bend at the waist to push the KS18AY along when not riding it. 

I've ridden the Monster before and while riding it my knees were hurting all the time; probably because it made me ride much more 'bull legged' due it being wider than the KS18AY and almost as tall as the KS18AY. 

I'll never get a Monster because of this. 

The MSuper V3s+ usually forces me to ride with my legs bowed.  When I have my knees and ankles hugging the machine I have the best stability and control, but sometimes it can make my knees hurt.  It's wide, and widest at the knees.  Not sure how much of that is just me doing something wrong though.  That is a good point to consider.

2 hours ago, Shabba said:

Yea I feel safe, am more worried about someone knocking it down on accident or kids trying to touch it, am 6'1 and pushing it is actually not that bad, I don't push it more than maybe 20-30 yards at a time though. I use mine as real transportation like you plan on doin so I ride in the street every day and i mount on it and go pretty fast at the intersections, I ride through crowds at slow speed and it's pretty controllable to me but then again its something I developed over time because it's so different from the wheels I bought before it but it won't take you long, then again I don't know your skill level, you might be able to hop on it the first day and take off like a super hero

Where in Florida do you live that you feel comfortable leaving it at the front of the store, and what stores are you referring to?

My time to ride has been severely interrupted recently, and at best I am getting in a half an hour a day.  Haven't been able to ride at all for several days now because of the damned rain.  But one thing I still need to master with the MSuper is controlling it while it is not mounted.  I imagine that the Monster would be even more difficult to control, although having no trolley handle and not having it rear mounted may actually be an advantage there...  I think rear mounting the trolley handle for the V3s+ was not smart.

1 hour ago, Catlord17 said:

Where in Florida do you live that you feel comfortable leaving it at the front of the store, and what stores are you referring to?

My time to ride has been severely interrupted recently, and at best I am getting in a half an hour a day.  Haven't been able to ride at all for several days now because of the damned rain.  But one thing I still need to master with the MSuper is controlling it while it is not mounted.  I imagine that the Monster would be even more difficult to control, although having no trolley handle and not having it rear mounted may actually be an advantage there...  I think rear mounting the trolley handle for the V3s+ was not smart.

Hahaha I live in Sarasota Florida, I always leave it in the front when I go to publix super market, I actually just came from there 15 mins ago hahaha. I also leave it in the front When I go to the health food stores, star bucks, the gas station, (not for gas obviously) usually to buy my lottery tickets, Panera bread etc. usually making turns with the trolley handle is when it goes crazy to me but you just have to turn slow and it will not act all crazy, the monster is not like that it's very controllable when pushing it 

6 hours ago, Catlord17 said:

It's not very practical for me (5'11"), but at your height I think the Monster would be comfortable pushing via the handle. It's a tall wheel.

1 hour ago, Shabba said:

Lol, I think all the publix's are EUC safe, Winn Dixie, not so much 

I know both stores have video recordings of the store.  But while my GF works at a Winn Dixie, and it would be safe for me there because the staff knows me personally and would do me the favor of taking it behind the customer service desk if I asked, I'm not entirely sure I would feel comfortable letting it out of my sight even then with that price tag.  Especially since GotWay hasn't yet come up with a way to lock it for use so that only the owner can use it.  I think it's just a matter of time before you're going to have someone at least try to steal it if you leave it in full view of the public, my friend.  Ask them if they'll hold it for you behind the customer service counter, or at least ask them to keep an eye on it while you shop.  I would put it in the cart, myself.

54 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

It's not very practical for me (5'11"), but at your height I think the Monster would be comfortable pushing via the handle. It's a tall wheel.

How top heavy is it compared to the V3s+?

1 minute ago, Catlord17 said:

I know both stores have video recordings of the store.  But while my GF works at a Winn Dixie, and it would be safe for me there because the staff knows me personally and would do me the favor of taking it behind the customer service desk if I asked, I'm not entirely sure I would feel comfortable letting it out of my sight even then with that price tag.  Especially since GotWay hasn't yet come up with a way to lock it for use so that only the owner can use it.  I think it's just a matter of time before you're going to have someone at least try to steal it if you leave it in full view of the public, my friend.  Ask them if they'll hold it for you behind the customer service counter, or at least ask them to keep an eye on it while you shop.  I would put it in the cart, myself.

How top heavy is it compared to the V3s+?

Both wheels feel balanced to me. But the Monster is very heavy wheel so it's ultra-stable.

Archived