Correct motor arm tightness?

mrelwood

I took the motor arms apart for cleaning, and during tightening the bolts I applied some pressure to make sure the arms are tightened properly in place. The wheel turned perhaps a bit easier by hand than it did before the operation, but on my first trip the battery ran out earlier than usual.

Are the arms supposed to be tightly against the spacers (between the arms and the motor), or should the spacers turn freely when the motor arms are attached? The other spacer used to spin freely when I pulled a rag between the arm and the motor. Now it doesn't.

I assume spacers are meant to fill the gaps and should not be loose, but it all boils down to design. Which wheel are we talking about?

Is it possible to send some pictures?

do give some cycles on the battery maybe it was slightly more discharged and maybe you ride the wheel in more wind/resistance

It was colder than usual for sure, but I have tracked the mileage for about 20 identical 37km rides, and it definitely shouldn't have died that fast despite the temperature.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pics. There is just a thick ring like one could wear on a finger, on either side of the motor. The part of the motor the ring touches is stationary in relation to the pedal arms, so I thought it should be firmly in place. But now I'm thinking it could squeeze the bearing inside the motor a bit too much. Then again, the wheel felt like it rotated better by hand than before.

I will sure do more full battery rides to confirm the issue.

The wheel is a 3100km old KingSong KS-16S.

I will ask about your issue and get back to you as I never had the occasion to see an open KingSong, but an easier to move motor means less resistance, so should have more battery power left in... unless you enjoyed it more and stressed it a bit more in the end ;)

23 hours ago, mrelwood said:

It was colder than usual for sure, but I have tracked the mileage for about 20 identical 37km rides, and it definitely shouldn't have died that fast despite the temperature.

Can you give a relation for what is  "that fast"?

Colder temperature can mean a lot......

During the last month the temperatures have varied between 8-20•C. With the original tire I could push it to 50km as an absolute maximum. That was a beeping battery at 10km/h on a level pavement. With the 2.5" H-5146 I can't get beyond 40km. After the operation it was dead at 35km on the first run. But after that I seem to be back at 40km, so it was a temperature/charging/wind issue after all.

Though I'm still interested in hearing back from IPS Malta, wether I did it right or not.

While waiting for an answer, and after you referred to the original tire, and recently saw some headings on tire pressure. Do you have your tire pressure right? colder temperatures should reduce tire pressure making it harder for the motor.

What personally do to have a proper pressure is by letting someone check the tire while standing on it and see that the walls of the tire stay straight or original position. pressure should be adjusted according to the weight it should carry and not exceeding the recommended max written on the tire

@mrelwood, unfortunately, the people I asked requires pictures of the above-mentioned spacers. The other suggestion was to visit a king song dealer, but I am assuming that your issue kind of got sorted out by more tries. I hope my suggestions were of use though ;)

Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the assembly .I noticed that my feet were able to feel a slight rumble, so I did reattach the motor arms so that the rings are not squeezed tight. They now easily rotate without being too loose to move sideways.

The rumble disappeared, and I think I now have slightly better mileage. Must test more to confirm.

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw this video where they assemble the motor arms at KingSong factory. Based on this I definitely did NOT press the arms too much while tightening:

Archived