Dream Electric Unicycle

exoplanet

Yes, you are seeing beyond. Upgrade a euc maybe aren't make it like the other vehicles. Maybe is best give euc what others vehicles didn't have. It can be turned it into a saw/shield self defense weapon and multi purpose tool, whit spiked wheel and steel shell. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a comfortable  swiveling seat on a shock absorbing seat tube that can be folded or retracted would be cool. anyone have experience with electric unicycle with seat?

That would allow for significantly more useful range because of fatigue prevention.

How long could one ride? 1-2 hours as opposed to 1-15 minutes before discomfort rears it ugly head.

Still there is the face plant factor though, so speed shouldnt really exceed 12-16kmh

On 9/5/2017 at 10:59 PM, exoplanet said:

Swithcable front and back light.

Water tight unit that can turn over in a puddle and survive. 

I dropped my KS14D in a puddle the second night I had it . Completely submerged...completely. Found it , pulled it out and powered it down , whiped it off and haven’t had a single issue resulting from the incident. ? The switchable light is also on many EUC’ to date . That’s a hell of a list!

New idea for when battery is empty and you are in bumfuck. Trolley wheels on the side of the wheel. Perhaps as part of the landing gear. Then you can pull it along by the trolley handle. or by a leash if more than two wheels keeping it balanced.

A bit like a carry on bag with wheels.

I would like to add that we are very late to the game indeed:

Note the uber fast charging. We could do the same if we had big battery packs/battery swaps and high current. I don't know what the standards are in your places, but 10(G)A tends to be the minimum in my corner. that would give a little boost in 5 minutes of say 7 km. or with high speed. 5 km. so 1 km per minute. There are of course stronger rated sockets. If we could get full ride of say 20 km in a minute, that would require  200 ampere at 240V.  If we hook up to electric car chargers, that would be neat.

Also Who here wants to join improving the shuko standard?

Also note the nice shock absorption he uses. now think of standing on his head rather than on his wheel, ho much more comfortable that must be.

The electric unicycle needs some kind of heating system that makes it warm to the touch so it isnt so unwelcoming to the touch. Say if you take it home to someone.

Also to prevent condensation inside the mahchine when bringing it in from the cold. But it should be water tight, but whatever.

Also design is paramount because part of usability is presentability.

Also, what is a good way of switching between spikes and no spikes, apart from having two wheels? some kind of strap around the wheel?

I think a good measure of practicallity is if you can bring your device onto a roller coaster and not get stopped or kill anyone.

Check out the tracks on this one.

spiked tyres are dangerous. they can spinn and cut your legs and achilles. It would be cool if the computer part of the device was designed to look cool. A bit of iron man factor inside the wheel. layout a nice looking board. Would it be any problem in implementing the same charging systems that electric cars use? In addition to redundancy with several motors or at least several boards, we could have a freewheel system that took us to a safe stop if everything failed.

How long time should it take to add a kilometer of range when charging?

The ninebot is 1km per 20 minutes.

Of course we would like to not charge at all, but it is easy to fall into trouble with a plutonium isotope energy source.

Not having to wait for charging is accomplished by having more range than you need by a long stretch and having more range than you can empty before you become tired from riding.

Another way is to charge so quickly that charge time seizes to be a pain. 1km per minute is fairly good, but say 10km per minute would be the next level kind of charging, where charging isn't something that makes you think twice before going somewhere because you could top off without problems.

But what are normal power outlets in peoples homes?

10 amps seems to be normal, but on the lower end of the continuum. 32 amperes seems to be what new houses are getting.

16 Amperes seems to be normal too. so lets say 240V times 10 A is only 2400 Watts, realistically 2200 watts or less (because of other things connected to the same cirquit. So you could charge say 2000wh in an hour. 60km range at 20kmh or 30 km at 40kmh

That gives 1km per minute or 500 metres per minute when charging.

I think we need to either hook up to several cirquits. Having more than one extension cord in the wheel on a roll or being able to take out the batteries and place them for charging. a bit like the dji phantom battery cartridges. Then you can take them out of you wheel at a roadside motel and surreptitiously place them for charging wherever you find contact points. Then take a piss or a bite and off you go.

Aloso connecting to tesla super charger stations and other chargers like that as well as industrial power plugs would give excellent ability to charge fast. Disconnect their compacting container or whatever big machinery they have. A gate for instance, and hook up you wheel for a few minutes and off you go. Quick easy, cheap, bumlike. Or king like. make deal with owner, have fun.

this could reduce maintenance needs.

It is important that the wheel be the only thing sticking down below the pedal. or at least not alot more bulk. this is  because when you run into heaps of snow, the wheel rests on the rest of the frame on top of the snow and the wheel doesnt get sufficient traction to cut through the snow. Today I saw a tractor front loader clearing snow. the tyres were about 1.5 metres diameter and it could ride atop the snow easily. Me want. Also tight turns are hard to do on slippery surfaces. gimme spikes.

Anyone know of good sources of open cell foam? My bed will suffer if I dont find a better source.

Also is there any sense in gluing  a cardboard or wood  stick to either side of the motor to act as a wiper to remove snow from inside the device? Is there any reason for the gap? prevent scraping from a flexing body? What kind of glue would work? epoxy i dont have much of, but I do have some glue gun glue.

On 11/02/2018 at 12:58 AM, RayRay said:

I don't know why I feel compelled to suggest this, but... auto (power) pedal deployment and retraction. (Power on = pedals deploy sorta thing.)

Maybe on some kinda premium 'dream unicycle' in the future? ^_^

You bliip your wheel with your key,  it flashes and makes a nice sound, pedals come down and  the whole thing raises 5-10 cm. then you click your keyfob if you want snow traction or spikes deployed. Hopp on. support legs retract at the same time as you start leaning forward and off you go. Fuck!! a pothole. bump bump. Oh. turns out it posed no obstacle. I could not even feel it. all I heard was tyre noise. I get out on the road and I see there is a bit of traffic. I do a left heel click and switch on blinkers. turn left out onto traffic. Hard accelleration to get in front of a slow car. 40 kmh 60kmh. I see the car behind me some distance. The road is icy as fuuuuuck and icy 50 cm bumps and tyre grooves in ice are everywhere. A car seems to struggle up the hill. Red light ahead. Lean back hard. REally hard. No complaint from the motor. The brake light is strong and a bit of the light goes forward as well so I see that it functions. And it was so. Light turns green. right heel click. Bicycle  in the way. illegal riding at red light. right or left toe smashes inwards. and horn is honked. Truck horn. Oh. it seems they havent bothered clearing the snow here. varying between 20 cm deep heavy snow and 40 cm fluffy snow in addition to the icy road beneath and the heavy tyre tracks in the ice. All systems deployed. Long spikes, snow grip system and low tyre pressure. plowing through top layer flyffy snow. gripping and floating atop 20 cm heavy snow layer and spikes reaching through and penetrating slippery ice. What? someone is having their sprinkler on now? In the winter time? Uber cool protective rubbish bag. the black kind with bubble wrap layer and reflective layer. A suit you store in a compartment in the euc. It protects you from the rain. Also full  face protection and eye protection. speed, 40. People look at you as if you were an alien. You are one. oh no. the road ends. you have to climb up the curb. You grippy tyre lets you do it at an angle. You have a long ride ahead. tiredness sets.in. seat comes up. you sit down a bit. light is on seat and on euc. you have 120 km to cover before returning after a 10 minute meeting. You can see through low visibility with ar glasses and you are picking up a full size double king bed. california king. Two of them. And a fridge and a kitchen unit. You arrive after having several detours to look at scenery. you plug your wheel into the electric car charger and extend the trailer. you pick the skis with wheels protruding. a strong canvas keeps a floor between the frame you extended. You load up. then you return. You have lights and brake lights in addition to reflectors on your trolley. You ride back at 70 kmh because you can. the roads have cleared up a bit too. they are still slippery. An alien!!!! emergency brake. you let the wheel accelerate and you lean back. both your mass and the mass of two beds and half a kitchen are decellerated at the maximum allowed friction. you come to a quick stop. The road ahead is closed. Sideroads will do. First we have to cross this snow covered field. no problem. The skis on the trolley allow your cargo to not sink in and the magnificent grip system allows you to ride at a ferocious speed. You reach your neighbouring road and you are soon home. a volcano has erupted and you ride across the lava. through a puddle as deep as your knees with wwater. The euc rises up  or protective barrier keeps you dry. the cargo trolley floats. You deliver the stuff,  press a button and the trolley wraps up and folds in. You are running late. you give it a boost. 120 kmh the rest of the way. If there are police, you will have to out run them. You listen to podcasts. Your eta and speed is displayed with a laser in front of you on the road. you get home and you charge Price? 150 USD

When I was riding across these water drains in the pavement/sidewalk and the ninebot failed, was that because it didnt have the power to exert the force needed, so it had a max current cutoff? in that case, would reducing the power requirement through suspension systems be feasible? I want to ride wihtout having to pay attention to small details like that.

For shock absorbers, the cheapest way may be open cell structure foam in an airtight flexible membrane with small holes. A cheap way to make a shock absorption and suspension system with high travel distance.

Would it be any point in making it flexible sideways?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know why I feel compelled to suggest this, but... auto (power) pedal deployment and retraction. (Power on = pedals deploy sorta thing.)

Maybe on some kinda premium 'dream unicycle' in the future? ^_^

> When I was riding across these water drains in the pavement/sidewalk and the ninebot failed, was that because ...
Water drains?  The wheel probably spun on slick surface.  You needed more traction - the motor had plenty of power (unless you were already beeping) but did not have the traction to deliver the power.  You should take a high-school physics class - you can probably find one online.

the water drain stuff werent those metal ones, but deep grooves in the walkway. Might have had a small jump that spun the tyre, but I think it failed because of the power required to carry me up from the bottom while maintaining my upright posture.

On 11/02/2018 at 5:50 AM, duaner said:

> When I was riding across these water drains in the pavement/sidewalk and the ninebot failed, was that because ...
Water drains?  The wheel probably spun on slick surface.  You needed more traction - the motor had plenty of power (unless you were already beeping) but did not have the traction to deliver the power.  You should take a high-school physics class - you can probably find one online.

I think to make the wheels useful during winter, the height between ground and pedals or body of EUC has to be equal or higher than the ground clearance of normal cars. That way you can cut through the snow without losing traction. Btw. that is about 20cm minimum.

How can snow traction be deployed while riding? As for spikes, I think a system where they are screwed into threads in the tyre is the solution. Automatic solutions introduce too much complexity.

I just opened a pc cabinet. It had two push sliders, spring loaded to open the cabinet. I want something similar on my euc if it is to be able to be opened. That way no tools are required and you dont lose screws.

Also I now know how to make traction in snow. You have an oversize inline wheel with fastening mechanisms for spikes and along with the spikes, you can fasten a structure of a multitude of small beams in the axial orientation, digging  into the snow and giving traction. In addition you have a sharpened ring structure at both sides of the wheel that give you sideways grip if you want to ride up at an angle on a snow hill.

https://gizmodo.com/what-s-wrong-with-electric-bicycles-1702986234

each battery cell should be interchangeable. with monitoring on all cells, so you can view an app and see which ones need to be changed and how they perform with capacity etc. Like a computer game showing damage on the car.

Hub motors get a rap in the ebike community for low lifetime. Because of vibration. Is this bs and what would this mean for euc's direct drive motors?

On 11/02/2018 at 7:44 AM, exoplanet said:

each battery cell should be interchangeable. with monitoring on all cells, so you can view an app and see which ones need to be changed and how they perform with capacity etc. Like a computer game showing damage on the car.

Why on earth do you not go and LEARN SOMETHING  before giving all of us the benefit of your ignorance. 

Spend a week or two working your way through the Battery University for example: http://batteryuniversity.com/ 

I cannot emphasise enough the absolutely HUGE benefit to be obtained by you carefully reading through - and, heaven forbid, actually understanding the massive wealth of information about battery technology available at that site. 

We would gain a couple of weeks not being bombarded with crass, ill thought out statements - and you might even benefit too!

All edged and the whole shape of the euc should be as rounded  as possible. When you get the pedals hitting your leg, you dont want a cut Also it saves your clothing.

Also the weel should be covered by a soft material, like a soft polyurethane. Thick enough to dampen strikes to the ground and to your bones. Added benefint is that you dont make a row that calls attention to yourself. Say if you ride in a shopping centre. If you ride and it falls, the guards will come. If it falls like a pillow or a bread, no one will care.

Also the surface of the euc should for the most part be slippery so it doesnt jump around when sliding along the asphalt.

42 minutes ago, Keith said:

Why on earth do you not go and LEARN SOMETHING  before giving all of us the benefit of your ignorance. 

Spend a week or two working your way through the Battery University for example: http://batteryuniversity.com/ 

I cannot emphasise enough the absolutely HUGE benefit to be obtained by you carefully reading through - and, heaven forbid, actually understanding the massive wealth of information about battery technology available at that site. 

We would gain a couple of weeks not being bombarded with crass, ill thought out statements - and you might even benefit too!

Listen here, dumb dumb. Individual batteries can fail or deteriorate faster than others. It would be nice to be able to monitor the different parameters of the batteries and take action accordingly. Thank you for the link. I am reading it now. I let firefox read it for me. genious. Certified.

21 minutes ago, exoplanet said:

Listen here, dumb dumb. Individual batteries can fail or deteriorate faster than others. It would be nice to be able to monitor the different parameters of the batteries and take action accordingly. Thank you for the link. I am reading it now. I let firefox read it for me. genious. Certified.

Listen, super dumb. What you said before, "each cell should be interchangeable" ...is just not possible! We allready explained that to you on your "experiments" to get a bigger, longer lasting 9b battery...Problem is , that each cell allways has to have the same voltage than the others. Remember?

That's perhaps why @Keith got a little harsh.

Cause you are filling up this thread with you nice monologue....while listening or reading or learning seams not to be your greatest strenght ;-)

46 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Listen, super dumb. What you said before, "each cell should be interchangeable" ...is just not possible! We allready explained that to you on your "experiments" to get a bigger, longer lasting 9b battery...Problem is , that each cell allways has to have the same voltage than the others. Remember?

Cause you are filling up this thread with you nice monologue....while listening or reading or learning seams not to be your greatest strenght ;-)

Comeon now....let's play nice.   This isn't a battle to see who can top each other on insults.  lol

Changing each cell would actually be possible.  Just like with changing batteries on a remote control or larger battery operated device with AA batteries.  And they don't have to be at the same voltage in the series....just at the same voltage for cells in parallel.  So it isn't an impossibility.  You could add in a battery that is a lot lower than the rest in a string and would just have to balance out the whole string before use.  But what I think @exoplanet does not understand is that with proper balancing, the batteries are not likely (barring manufacturing defects) to have single cells failing prematurely since all of them are new when assembled and all of them experience the same load over time so they all wear down the same.  Very small differences in internal resistance is why we have balancing to compensate for different cell charge/discharge characteristics.  There is also the issue of having a larger battery pack to accommodate cell swapping.  To make it very safe, it could require parallel cells to be swapped together in a pre-assembled pack before adding it to the string.  But again, it would have to be a larger, battery pack which may not offer a return in value versus increased cost and increased space requirements.

20 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

Could we change this into a battle where we try top each other with insults? 

Don’t be silly! That would make this entire thread actually have some purpose - that would never do!

Today I rode at an angle of 20degrees onto the sidewalk. Slippery .hidden behind snow. Tripped me. A much wider tyre would give traction on the road while climing the curb. this introduces new problems though.

Also i discovered that riding onto obstacles that exceed 20 degree angles from middle of tyre ground contact to contact with obstacle, are too severe for the tyres to handle well.

When looking down and fiddling with phone, I found with gps that a comfortable speed without looking was about 10 kmh. 16-17 was comfortable when looking forward.

to ensure ability to ride over holes, belt can be long with a single small contact patch for easy turning at low speed. hole belt can be hinged by wheel in the middle.

4 hours ago, Cranium said:

And they don't have to be at the same voltage in the series

In EUC they have to be as the batteries are being charged and discharged all the time due to use (discharging) and regenerative braking (Charging). If they are not balanced you might start your first few KMs on a charged EUC with a fire under your feet while you are braking. Ok maybe I am exaggerating here, but definitely, the cells they can easily be overcharged if they are not continuously being balances esp when charging occurs also in series due to high wattage. If they are not continuously balanced, the cells definitely need to be of the same age and being used initially on a balanced state

as for the insults, I can understand @Keith's frustration. This forum has no liability for our projects but we try to keep a high reputation for knowledgeable sane suggestions. I was tempted to downvote also (especially where once a scissors [not a fuse at least] was said to be used not to mention how), but the downvotes are already on him and it's clear about the quality of the suggestion (for me, but might not be for who I am about to mention). The problem relies that people outside the forum (who are not familiar with us) might google and end up on one of the dangerous posts and go ahead and try it (assuming they don't read the following, but if he honestly is writing them with no harm intended, then it's likely some other guy has a similar mindset and get assured that such thing is doable). Any incidents occurring due to these irresponsible posts endanger not just this forum but all aspects of EUC, including the market, legal status in countries, accessibility and several other factors. We already witnessed the effect of lack of quality in some hoverboards and EUC is also suffering because of similar technology, but let's try not to make it worse by irresponsible statements here.

5 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

I think @exoplanet is a bot, and we are training it by interacting with it.

16 minutes ago, steve454 said:

So, how do we deal with it? 

With an unprecedented minus-30 or so rating, I think the moderators might have done something by now .... :efeee20b79:

You can add it to your ignored user list so its posts will no longer be visible to you.

16 minutes ago, steve454 said:

He does have some good ideas.  Maybe one or two.

I think @exoplanet is supervised. Still, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

2 hours ago, IPS Malta said:

In EUC they have to be as the batteries are being charged and discharged all the time due to use (discharging) and regenerative braking (Charging). If they are not balanced you might start your first few KMs on a charged EUC with a fire under your feet while you are braking. Ok maybe I am exaggerating here, but definitely, the cells they can easily be overcharged if they are not continuously being balances esp when charging occurs also in series due to high wattage. If they are not continuously balanced, the cells definitely need to be of the same age and being used initially on a balanced state

as for the insults, I can understand @Keith's frustration. This forum has no liability for our projects but we try to keep a high reputation for knowledgeable sane suggestions. I was tempted to downvote also (especially where once a scissors [not a fuse at least] was said to be used not to mention how), but the downvotes are already on him and it's clear about the quality of the suggestion (for me, but might not be for who I am about to mention). The problem relies that people outside the forum (who are not familiar with us) might google and end up on one of the dangerous posts and go ahead and try it (assuming they don't read the following, but if he honestly is writing them with no harm intended, then it's likely some other guy has a similar mindset and get assured that such thing is doable). Any incidents occurring due to these irresponsible posts endanger not just this forum but all aspects of EUC, including the market, legal status in countries, accessibility and several other factors. We already witnessed the effect of lack of quality in some hoverboards and EUC is also suffering because of similar technology, but let's try not to make it worse by irresponsible statements here.

You are right. I will add the appropriate resistor if I ever discharge a pack. Also I will not discharge the battery as that will damage the cells.

1 hour ago, litewave said:

With an unprecedented minus-30 or so rating, I think the moderators might have done something by now .... :efeee20b79:

You can add it to your ignored user list so its posts will no longer be visible to you.

I think @exoplanet is supervised. Still, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Short distance between insane and genious. I think I am on the razor edge.

The wheel trying to kill me thing, seems to stem from the motor working hard on small bumps when slippery. Wheel overspins and shuts off.

Also the process of parking the wheel in the appropriate place for it to drip dry and the snow and ice to melt while charging is way too cumbersome. It causes awkwardness with friends if you visit them. Better to have removablebattery, then you can take it with you. Of course some batteries are big, but they could come in smaller packs of say 200wh or something. perhaps different sizes. then one can charge the appropriate one for the range you need while the beast rests someplace else. no carrying up stairs.

• Keith locked this topic

Archived