Dream Electric Unicycle

exoplanet

Let's put together a dream list for a euc. then manufacturers may use it to create a new product we like.

So. an upper speed limit that can be kept in all conditions. up hill, flat, heavy riders, all battery levels.

range at top speed in varied incline, ca. 100 km, not under 80km.

top  speed where tilt back occurs and you can coast in total safety no matter your weight or hill incline or battery level: 50

bose suspension system that eliminates or ammeliorates bumps actively or at least some suspension system.

A way to just walk off the wheel and go into a store or to a friend without having to bend down and do anything and just step on again and drive off.

Use of a belt to allow a lower profile of the wheel with a bigger radius wheel. maybe you can have a small wheel with a shock absorbing system. that would be nice because you can turn better with a small wheel.

A wide tread for riding over potholes and uneven paths.

keep the machine well under 10kgs.

have a way of leading it around without carrying it.

have a way of locking it so you can arrive in the city centre cinema and meet your friends without looking like a tool/doofus fool on a scooter/wheel in your hand.

Charger must be integrated into the machine so it follows you around.

Swithcable front and back light.

side blinking lights/turn lights activated by some smart measure.

kilometres range left displayed in big bold numbers on a black and grey 7 segment display. (kilometres left will be based on your previous driving that ride or all history or a worst case scenario of say 10 degree incline, full speed. )

Usb power, induction power and a normal power output plug. 110V/240V

induction charging pad for your regular parking spot.

a spiked tyre for use on ice in winter.

no geared motor. only direct drive for silent operation.

silent tread on rubber.

Water tight unit that can turn over in a puddle and survive. must be able to run in sleet and rain. gravel, sand and snow. and on ice.

If a battery is used, an insulating system or heating system that ensures maximum range available. cooling system for hot weather. preferably a mostly passive system. (more robust, less energy intensive and less prone to break.

All of this has to be packaged into something robust and nice looking while remaining fairly anonymous looking.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which exoplanet have you just landed from exactly?;)

You do realise that as yet on this planet we still have limited electro mechanical restraints?

Increased reliable power, increased range(bigger battries), on-board chargers,  suspension and even reliable waterproofing all come with increased weight penalties! Put them all on one unit and it would become an unusable tank of a machine!

2 hours ago, Gimlet said:

[...] all come with increased weight penalties! Put them all on one unit and it would become an unusable tank of a machine!

Ah, the gravity of it all! But it's a nice dream, @exoplanet ...:efef2e0fff:

What about switching out batteries with ethanol fuel cells and then you achieve somewhere around 6000wh for a litre which wheighs about 800 grammes. Maybe 3 pounds, so 75.Nah. fuck it. too expensive. or maybe not. how expensive is the fuel cell and how much does the equivalent battery cost.

By the way. how high obstacles would be nice to be able to climb without bracing yourself. for me it is about 15 cm.

By the way. I am fairly new to this, but found that about 20 minutes or less is a good riding time. therefore speed is of utmost importance for the device to be useful.

That could actually be done.

Another feature would be pedals that slide forward and backward so you dont need to put so much weight on the toes or heels. Or at least preventing you from having to adjust so much.

the shock absorbers should be pneumatic or have some way to remove oscillation. can easily be done.

If batteries are used, charging light(s) must be visible from all angles.

On 06/09/2017 at 3:59 AM, exoplanet said:

no geared motor. only direct drive for silent operation.

EUC wheels don't have gears, no? In fact a gear box would not be conducive to electric motors because of the linear relationship between current output (I) and torque (t): t = k*I, where k is a wheel specific constant. To a rider this feels that all of the torque is available all of the time, except at higher speeds where of course physical limits apply.

6 hours ago, Tech Nossomy said:

EUC wheels don't have gears, no? In fact a gear box would not be conducive to electric motors

Errrr.... there are a number of geared EUC's that have been designed, for example the Fastwheel Ring below - using a high Kv motor which will, as a result  be high RPM with low torque and then gearing down to lower RPM and increase torque is certainly a usable solution with possible benefits in allowing much higher current but adds complexity, noise, and potentially reduces reliability and balancing smoothness.image.jpeg.6390299741867b6ff8f0dd9c9264cc70.jpeg

I suspect you might be thinking about changeable gears - as in the gearbox of a car - that would be, at the very least "challenging" on an EUC, if not down right impossible! 

For more on the Fastwheel see here (unfortunately the company advertising it in the UK were scammers, but the discussion on the Fastwheel is valid) :

Or check out this YouTube video, worth watching even if it isn't the EUC you are interested in ?:

2 hours ago, Keith said:

I suspect you might be thinking about changeable gears - as in the gearbox of a car

A cvt constant variable transmission would use 3 pulleys in a long narrow (high gears) or short wide (low gears) and is suited for the electric motors. Subaru justys came with these as do a lot of Newer Nissans.

2 hours ago, Keith said:

Errrr.... there are a number of geared EUC's that have [...] possible benefits in allowing much higher current but adds complexity, noise, and potentially reduces reliability and balancing smoothness.

Correct. I was indeed thinking of the latter: by adding components, the likelihood of malfunction increases, where there is only a marginal benefit given the bicycle speeds that wheels have.

by the way. I think we should institue human rights for crash dummies. poor things.

a ring euc is nice, but you could trap your foot. fill the space with energy storage.

I agree that complexity is bad. But so long as the wheel is kept maintenance free and silent, everything is ok.

How can one make a belt silent? (belt would be used to make size of device smaller. keep it low profile.

I should be sleeping now, but lets make sketches of the dream unicycle and post them.

Is there a way of reducing the dork factor other than people getting used to seeing these devices?

would a tiny wheel with active suspension (bose system, youtube it) be good? the whole system would be much mor nimble and possibly hand held. (the current ones are unwieldy and too big)

oh and we need a way of parking these without them getting stolen. In the city centre. where the thieves are lurking.

the unicycle must of course come with a scanning system that keeps an eye on the road ahead and keeps you safe from potholes, raised terrain or speed bumps of various sorts. And a collision avoidance system where it saves you from deer in headlights and boxes and little dumb dumbs in your way.

another useful feature would be a way to amplify your turning efforts by turning the wheel a little bit further than what you manage by twisting your hips or legs. This would allow tighter turns with less effort. this could be amplified or attenuated by speed or whatever.

Also the wheel should sense that you are on it.

Oh. and it should be able to cross fjords, lakes and rivers naturally. And perhaps fly.

But seriously when I think of it . Being abloe to drive trhough water would actually work. A water jet keeping you flying just above the water and used for short periods of time just to get across some body of water could work. it could be aided by deoployable hydrofoils for longer distances in water.

scope creep. I know.

What are your thoughts on using a spere or a wheel made up of wheels perpeniduclar to the direction of travel so that it can travel sideways withouth having to twist the body  and you can stand still at a crosswalk without stepping down? or perhaps some sort of parking wheels that come down when speed is low, allowing you to land ant intersections or just step off the device. I would love that. drive to the store and just step off.

the charging cord (if any) can be retractable on a roll like vacuum cleaners.

we get rid of the learning curve with a omni directional balancing system

So one with a low profile with a belt and a big radius.

something odd

And a balancing ball like thingy. perfekt because you can leave it and it will stand. Make sure it stands still in a hill when left alone.

WIN_20170910_02_47_18_Pro.jpg

shove the handle down, footplates come down.

WIN_20170910_02_57_30_Pro.jpg

the gap above the thing above the sphere is where the shock absorber is.

what is the noise from an electric unicycle apart from the tyre noise? is it vibration of the shell? uneven air buffeting inside the motor? air vent?

A race bike is good with noise levels compared to a studded design. I guess softer rubber is good. An low weight of course. Low displacement of air/low air acceleration.

I want a laser projector with speed displayed clearly on the road ahead. Also light markings in the road where you are on your way. People will see if they are in your way that way. Say when a person is standing by a bus stop and you come flying, they see the lines in the asphalt and see that they dont need to move back to let you pass.

Battery level can be displayed here as well.

on the one with ball above perhaps a handle to carry it up the stairs is in order as well.

Why dont we make something with legs that runs underneath us. that way it can run up stairs as well.

If one has a wheel consisting of wheels or a sphere, the unicycle can switch between normal unicycle mode and slow speed mode that allows sideways rolling. The sphere can allow rotating as well. This is very comparable to what the f35b does. flying in hovermode when slow and transitioning to plane mode in higher speeds.  The cool thing with a sphere system or a small wheels on fairly small wheel solution is that you can have it follow you precisely up escalators and wherever you go. just step off and walk where you need to go and the thing follows you.

good good. Lets not be limited by doofus peer pressure. To hell with physics. We are making this work.

No but seriously. most of the things mentioned here are fully doable.

I think the important part is to whittle down the concept into it's essence. like  musk says. Find the first principles. the fundamental truths and work from there.

In that case the whole unicycle thing is moot (i have an idea) but let's just go with it.

What do we want?

A cheap way to get places as fast as a fast bicycle or by driving car.

Convenience of not having to park.

Look like freaks or not.

something without a learning curve.

A revision of speed. Let the device keep a safe speed based on your weight. Let it weigh you. that way if you are big or fat, your top speed will be reduced to a safe level. that way lighter people can make use of the whole potential. I am tired now. will a hill up or down give different safe speeds for a given power and mass?

So how will this contraption work in snow? I would like to be able to ride in ski tracks and deep snow. Preferably in icy conditions as well.

What do we do? the area of a footprint is obviously not enough. two feet is much better, but perhaps 4 feet is sufficient to not be a nuisance for skiers.

Here's what I want.

I want a way to turn off bluetooth so the machine can't easily be hacked while you're riding it and sabotaged.

I want a way to lock the damned thing so I can chain it up outside the restaurant and even if the cable is cut, it cannot be turned on.  Maybe requiring my thumbprint, a password and/or a key.

I want pedals that are actually big enough, and have a slight lip to help prevent your feet from slipping off.

I want the damned thing to be rainproof, no matter how heavy the rain is.

I want an on-machine display of battery level in percentages left, and the current speed, so I don't have to stop and/or reach in my pocket to pull out my phone, unlock it and then look.  While hitting someone or something in the process.

I want it to have a powerful enough headlight for me to see far enough ahead to stop in time to avoid glass, potholes, sidewalk issues etc. at night without killing myself or being limited to 5-8 mph in the process.

I want the turn signals to be far enough apart that it is obvious what direction I am turning in.

I want the damned thing to have a seat that is not just present, but that you can adjust the height of, so you can ride it without affecting your center of gravity and having to learn seated riding as an entirely new skillset.

I want the inflator valve to be easily accessible and not require that I purchase an air compressor, fittings, hoses, etc. and then use a damned lever to force the valve away from the rim while I hold the lever in one hand, the inflator valve in the other and the tire with my foot - I want to inflate the damned tire without it being a dreaded ordeal!

I want it configured so that the center of gravity of the machine is such that it's not top heavy.

I want that I can ride it through 4 to 6 inches of water without frying the electronics.

I want a machine that can be ridden hard and long in the middle of summer in Florida and not overheat.

I want a machine that I never ever have to worry about cutting out on me while I am riding it, no matter what.

And if a suspension of some sort is genuinely possible, give me that too.

That's what I want.  That all seems pretty reasonable to me.

this is the kind of response i was looking for.perfect. how big bumps do you find yourself going across but having to slow down for or brace/use legs for?

And at what speed would you ride on if you had a flat open space with smooth asphalt?

are the pine cones three inches in height when lying on the  ground? do they compress?

I find that when i go from a hill to a flat i tend to continue leaning forward. this causes me to push to tiltback. I would like to have this fixed so i can stand still in the transition.

another problem is when you lie down your device, it gets dirty and your trousers in turn. Same if you lose it in mud. Best fix?

I was thinking some protruding pins

I find that when clibing up or down an angled curb at an angle, the contact point of the wheel is shifted to one side causing forces to want to tip the unicycle to one side. I suspect one can alleviate this with a narrower tyre or just a sharper angled tyre like the new ninebot z's (what is correct use of that plural thing and s) seem to have or even with a wider stance or higher?/lower? foot plates (which one counter acts the force more?)

to make this thing as silent as possible as little air as possible should be vibrated by the vehicle as possible. this means shock absorbers, small wheels unsprung mud guards soft tyres, vibration dampening between wheel  and fork.

A big wheel is more silent in the contact patch area except when running slowly if the pressure is low and you turn, grinding the surface.

Lights.

I like to ride anonymously.

Some like to be seen. especially in traffic.

what about a light panel covering the front and the back so there is a big surface with light that helps other see you. There can be strong smaller lights for the rider to see the road in dark.

4 hours ago, exoplanet said:

this is the kind of response i was looking for.perfect. how big bumps do you find yourself going across but having to slow down for or brace/use legs for?

And at what speed would you ride on if you had a flat open space with smooth asphalt?

1-3 inch pine cones and fallen branches (at night), sidewalk sections of dissimilar heights of 1/2" to 2" and drainage ruts of 2-4".

I would probably be riding 18+ mh if I had perfect conditions.  As it is, I average 8.

5 hours ago, exoplanet said:

are the pine cones three inches in height when lying on the  ground? do they compress?

I find that when i go from a hill to a flat i tend to continue leaning forward. this causes me to push to tiltback. I would like to have this fixed so i can stand still in the transition.

Closed ones are 1 to 1.5 inches and open ones get to 3. Open ones compress. Neither is a serious problem, but could be if hit at the right angles and speeds.

35 minutes ago, exoplanet said:

another problem is when you lie down your device, it gets dirty and your trousers in turn. Same if you lose it in mud. Best fix?

Don't wear trousers then :smartass:

i'd like-

1-whatever app that controls settings (tiltback -which i always turn off- alarms, light) to be able to operate via usb, as well

2-some sort of casing design that allows 'pop-open', instant access, that is also weatherproof!

also, @Keith why did you have torture me with that video?! :P

• Keith locked this topic

Archived