Ninebot miniPlus not detecting step-offs

Hi fellows. I had recently gotten a brand-new miniPlus & whilst it is pretty fun, I am experiencing a severe malfunction which I hope the veteran owners here may advice me. The fault is that the miniPlus does not detect me stepping off it after a long journey. This is evident as:

1. When I tried to enter into Remote Control mode after physically stepping off the 'pedals' for a while, I will be blocked as the miniPlus still detects a person standing on it.
  2. I hear no familiar beeping like the ones I hear when stepping on/off at the beginning of a journey/after a short journey.
  3. If I lift the miniPlus up in this state, the wheels enter a mad rev as it thinks someone is still stepping on it & simply the user losing balance.

The miniPlus has seen less than 80km of use. With regards to point 2 above, I have actually taken the miniPlus on a journey and stepping on/off every kilometre until the malfunction kicks in. I discover the miniPlus will slowly take longer and longer to detect a stepping-off (but still detecting it) from the 4th kilometre onwards. Until the 5th/6th kilometre (& onwards), the malfunction fully materializes. I have tried resetting the miniPlus but to no avail, i.e. this malfunction still manifests after a software-reset.

Here's a video of the miniPlus behaving itself on a good day:

miniPlus behaving itself

Notice how rapid it detects me stepping off and sounding the appropriate beep when it detects a step-off? This malfunctions after an approximately 5-km journey. Can anybody help me? Is there something wrong with my pedal/load sensor? Preferably something that can be easily fixed.

Anyway I just wish to add this is a huge issue for me, as there are legit situations where I need the step-off to be detected rapidly, e.g. lifting the miniPlus to cross an overhead bridge, powering it off when I reach my destination (yes, a safety feature is that it can't be powered off if it detects a human user atop), etc.

That is not good news.  The Mini-Plus is so new though you are best to contact Ninebot or your seller to see what they can do for you. Definitely sounds like the load sensor could be sticking.  You could test this by turning the unit on and placing some bricks or something on the pedals but keeping it balanced, and then see of after X time the problem occurs even though the mini has not moved.  Heat is often a curse for issues like this either with the sensor or components associated with the sensor.  If it is not moving there will be less heat, so it may not occur.  Another thing you could try is to heat one of the pads with a heat gun or hair dryer, careful not to get it too hot to melt anything.  That's more dangerous as you really don't want to be stressing things too much, so you want to keep the heat within reason.

I definitely would call Ninebot because if it identified as a common failure with the new MiniPlus they might take care of you regardless of where it was purchased.

f one descends too quickly from the Mini it falls it loses its balance, if one descends quickly and is lifted, the wheels turn in the vacuum

If you have reset the factory settings and nothing has been fixed, I think you should check:

You did not touch the pads? Under the pads there is a metal plate that rests on a joystick, exert pressure to test with your fingers, on the whole surface of the Pad, simultaneously with the other pad

The mini records your driving attitude, if it beats too much from the start you have to reset and restart gently

You have to make sure that the tire pressure is equal, that all the screws and connections are made

It is necessary to take the habit that the Mini reflected more slowly you must add a second of time when you descend from the Mini normally it must be bipper, to climb it is the same it must be bipper, do not quickly raise the mini as soon as descended

(im apologized im using the translator)

Did you follow the beginner tutorial and achieved it?

in remote mode you dont climb on your mini.... well i dont see whats appear on your app (could you use app like AZ SCREEN RECORDER?)

remote mode you must be at 20cm from the mini plus, and you need the remote control

if you want to see Inside the Mini Plus, (internal pics) it's here https://sites.google.com/view/mini-j-world/mini-tech-s-plus#h.9j51mwckny3m

6 hours ago, FreeRide said:

That is not good news.  The Mini-Plus is so new though you are best to contact Ninebot or your seller to see what they can do for you. Definitely sounds like the load sensor could be sticking.  You could test this by turning the unit on and placing some bricks or something on the pedals but keeping it balanced, and then see of after X time the problem occurs even though the mini has not moved.  Heat is often a curse for issues like this either with the sensor or components associated with the sensor.  If it is not moving there will be less heat, so it may not occur.  Another thing you could try is to heat one of the pads with a heat gun or hair dryer, careful not to get it too hot to melt anything.  That's more dangerous as you really don't want to be stressing things too much, so you want to keep the heat within reason.

I definitely would call Ninebot because if it identified as a common failure with the new MiniPlus they might take care of you regardless of where it was purchased.

@FreeRide: yeah, "sticking"(of the sensor) is a very apt description for the malfunction I'm experiencing.

& your test approach is brilliant (to isolate heat & endurance from the malfunction). I have some heavy items at home  & I will be able to simulate some load on the pedals. Probably won't use the heat gun though since I may mess things up. I will update this thread with my findings (#tofollow-up).

I bought & imported the miniPlus from TaoBao (China) into Singapore. I'm pretty sure the warranty procedures will be a PITA. On the other hand, when you say "call Ninebot", do you mean there's actually a Ninebot company that I can contact? That takes care of international Ninebot issues?

6 hours ago, jojo33 said:

f one descends too quickly from the Mini it falls it loses its balance, if one descends quickly and is lifted, the wheels turn in the vacuum

If you have reset the factory settings and nothing has been fixed, I think you should check:

You did not touch the pads? Under the pads there is a metal plate that rests on a joystick, exert pressure to test with your fingers, on the whole surface of the Pad, simultaneously with the other pad

The mini records your driving attitude, if it beats too much from the start you have to reset and restart gently

You have to make sure that the tire pressure is equal, that all the screws and connections are made

It is necessary to take the habit that the Mini reflected more slowly you must add a second of time when you descend from the Mini normally it must be bipper, to climb it is the same it must be bipper, do not quickly raise the mini as soon as descended

(im apologized im using the translator)

@jojo33: as long as the miniPlus detects a step-off, it will not madly rev the wheels when picked up (even if picked up almost immediately after step-off). When my unit is behaving, I'll upload a video of this(#tofollow-up).

I have perform a factory-reset via the Ninebot app once, & it doesn't prevent the malfunction from returning. In addition, I will like to know what a factory reset does, since apparently, it doesn't reset the mileage as well.

& nope, I did not mess with the pedal pads. & even if I test for spots on the pedal pads that do not register load (using my fingers), surely a foot will be sufficient to trigger the sensor(s)?

I did not use too-aggressive a riding style from the beginning since it was my first Ninebot. In any case, a basic feature such as detecting step-offs, should behave consistently regardless if the rider rides harshly or not.

Tyre pressure is checked to be adequately firm before each ride. Screws & connections...not so much. I'll give those aspects a once-over later. Any pictorial guide with regards to this aspect?

As mentioned earlier, & showcased in my YouTube video, when my particular unit is behaving properly, the step-off detection, & indication beeper, is almost instantaneous.

5 hours ago, jojo33 said:

i have see your video

it's normal, but better connect it before climb, because app & mini are connecting data, well you can use your mini without the app, 

@jojo33: Actually my video is not for the purpose of me wanting to enter the Remote Control mode. Basically, I observed that one of the safety features built-in is: when someone is standing on the pedals, the app will disallow entering of RC mode. Hence, in my video, to prove that the miniPlus is detecting the step-off, I demonstrated that the RC mode can be entered (since the machine thinks no one is still stepping on it).

5 hours ago, jojo33 said:

Did you follow the beginner tutorial and achieved it?

in remote mode you dont climb on your mini.... well i dont see whats appear on your app (could you use app like AZ SCREEN RECORDER?)

remote mode you must be at 20cm from the mini plus, and you need the remote control

if you want to see Inside the Mini Plus, (internal pics) it's here https://mini-j.jimdo.com/accueil/actualites-mini/segway-smart-exclusive/

@jojo33: Yes, I'd completely cleared tutorial mode. & yes, I understand I shouldn't step-on when the machine is engaged in RC mode. In fact, I wonder what happens if a person steps onto the miniPlus when it is already in RC mode(#tofollow-up)?

@jojo33: I'm not trying to use the Remote Control mode. I'm not having issues with the RC mode. I'm simply exploiting (the prevention) of entering RC mode to affirm whether the miniPlus still think someone is still stepping on the pedals (or not).

I experienced this with my original MiniPro.  For me the problem occurred when I tried to lift the device too soon after dismounting.  For example, if I am rolling along, then quickly stop, hop off and lift the unit all in a very fast succession, the wheels would spin frantically.  Now I know to leave the unit for about 1 second between dismounting and lifting it up.  Could that be the solution for you? 

As for warranty, whatever you do, I hope you don't have to deal with Segway USA for warranty issues, as he (it's just one guy) is not easy to deal with and doesn't know much about the products.  If your issue needs to be repaired I hope there's a Singapore tech support available.

2 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

I experienced this with my original MiniPro.  For me the problem occurred when I tried to lift the device too soon after dismounting.  For example, if I am rolling along, then quickly stop, hop off and lift the unit all in a very fast succession, the wheels would spin frantically...

I think that is because the MiniPro assume you are still standing on it, & the unit has caught some "big air" (when you lift it), like a stunt bicycle jump, & the wheels frantically tries to get some to keep the overall balance in check. I'd experienced the same thing.

51 minutes ago, ralliart12 said:

I think that is because the MiniPro assume you are still standing on it, & the unit has caught some "big air" (when you lift it), like a stunt bicycle jump, & the wheels frantically tries to get some to keep the overall balance in check. I'd experienced the same thing.

Of course.  That is what he is saying.  The mini thinks he is still standing on it when it should not.  The only question now is how much time does it take to recognize that he is not standing on it, and why that time would appear to increase the longer he rides.  

1 hour ago, FreeRide said:

Of course.  That is what he is saying.  The mini thinks he is still standing on it when it should not.  The only question now is how much time does it take to recognize that he is not standing on it, and why that time would appear to increase the longer he rides.  

What I want to know is how long that time is.  Maybe the OP mentioned it and I have just missed it, but are we talking about a brief moment or are we talking about several seconds and longer?

On 9/7/2017 at 1:46 AM, RooMiniPro said:

What I want to know is how long that time is.  Maybe the OP mentioned it and I have just missed it, but are we talking about a brief moment or are we talking about several seconds and longer?

This is my miniPlus on a good day (please watch it with volume increased to hear the various audio feedback from the miniPlus):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB1cB0RmHJk

Here's the breakdown: I started stepping off at the 4th second, within half a second, you can hear the miniPlus detecting the step-off & giving one chime, the very next instant when I start lifting it up, you can hear the "lock" beeper kicking in (which implies the miniPlus knows it's already being lifted manually), & by the 5th second, the miniPlus is up safely.

In other words, the entire transition above happens in 1 second. That's a good day. Unfortunately, not every day is a good day.

42 minutes ago, ralliart12 said:

This is my miniPlus on a good day (please watch it with volume increased to hear the various audio feedback from the miniPlus):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB1cB0RmHJk

Here's the breakdown: I started stepping off at the 4th second, within half a second, you can hear the miniPlus detecting the step-off & giving one chime, the very next instant when I start lifting it up, you can hear the "lock" beeper kicking in (which implies the miniPlus knows it's already being lifted manually), & by the 5th second, the miniPlus is up safely.

In other words, the entire transition above happens in 1 second. That's a good day. Unfortunately, not every day is a good day.

I think everyone wants to see it on a bad day. 

Just now, FreeRide said:

I think everyone wants to see it on a bad day. 

Haha...al right...let me find a day to clock a good 5-6km continuously to make the issue manifests itself...

but as you can see, the malfunction doesn't happen all the time...

1 minute ago, ralliart12 said:

Haha...al right...let me find a day to clock a good 5-6km continuously to make the issue manifests itself...

but as you can see, the malfunction doesn't happen all the time...

How do you like it otherwise?  Have you ever had a MiniPro to compare it to?

Archived