Are EUCs legal in NYC

qualitytogo

1 hour ago, qualitytogo said:

I know hoverboards are illegal, and believe EUCs might be as well, but how much do police enforce those rules?

One of the NYC guys can probably better answer this for you.  My understanding is that the police in NYC generally leave you alone and don't care about the EUC's.  The only time you'll have problems is if one of the politicians is on a campaign to get rid of them.  From my limited experience I was in NYC and had 0 problems in my 51 mile trip......................

25 minutes ago, Acturbo said:

One of the NYC guys can probably better answer this for you.  My understanding is that the police in NYC generally leave you alone and don't care about the EUC's.  The only time you'll have problems is if one of the politicians is on a campaign to get rid of them.  From my limited experience I was in NYC and had 0 problems in my 51 mile trip......................

I've visited NYC several times this year and had no problems.

There are large signs on our westside bike path stating that e bikes, hover boards, electric vehicles are illegal and a phone number posted to report sightings. I'm very careful and discreet around the city. If I see park rangers or police I generally go the other way... I'm worried that someone is going to ruin it for all of us by acting foolish. It's pretty pathetic that it's technically not legal in our city. We have to change it.

17 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

There are large signs on our westside bike path stating that e bikes, hover boards, electric vehicles are illegal and a phone number posted to report sightings. I'm very careful and discreet around the city. If I see park rangers or police I generally go the other way... I'm worried that someone is going to ruin it for all of us by acting foolish. It's pretty pathetic that it's technically not legal in our city. We have to change it.

Yes I saw the signs when I was there.  Also a few runners and bikers that were yelling "illegal on the path" even though were respectful and going at a slower speed than the bikers were.  As far as police and rangers were concerned we had no trouble.  We did the same as MRD said.  Saw a ranger, went the other way just to be safe.  

EUCs are illegal in NYC, but so are many other things that go un-enforced (read: jaywalking), so it is what it is.

Unless there is some big initiative (anti-e-bike, Trump protests, etc.), the NYPD does not care.

Park Rangers, due to public complaints (read: old people with too much time on their hands) against the multiplying e-board community, are required to act like they care, but just give out verbal warnings (although there is 1 or 2 Rangers on the Greenway that are a little more rabid).

This is my experience riding daily in NYC for going on 3 years; plus under the assumption you are riding within reason, yielding to pedestrians where appropriate.

To begin with, all non-licensed electric vehicles -- which include electric unicycles -- are technically illegal. And since EUC cannot be licensed, they cannot be legal. (This is due to a NY state law, not NYC proper. Though NYC has specific ordnances related to hoverboards after their infamous conflagrations.)

That said, I personally wheel inside of Manhattan regularly as part of my commute -- including passing police officers -- without issue. I have even had police officers comment favorably about it. There are so many laws that apply to NYC that an individual officer either may not know about the laws applying to EUCs or if they do, may simply choose not to enforce it (as noted by others in this thread).

Edited to add: If you choose to wheel in New York, please be a paragon of awesome. We early adopters are ambassadors for the future, and by being safe and courteous, we improve our odds of greater acceptance (and hopefully full legality) in the future.

32 minutes ago, Pyrolupus said:

Edited to add: If you choose to wheel in New York, please be a paragon of awesome. We early adopters are ambassadors for the future, and by being safe and courteous, we improve our odds of greater acceptance (and hopefully full legality) in the future.

Excellent advise. 

This advice should be used everywhere. 

(There's a board member here on the west coast that blatantly ignores those common sense rules.  In fact, he's even posted videos where he's riding over 'signage' painted on the surface he's riding on that states to walk bikes in that area. Definitely not being an 'ambassador' for the future of EUCs.)

What if we all just start doing the same thing.  Whenever we see a federale we just slow down and start pedaling like we are on a skateboard.  No one knows what they are anyway so we just tell them its a "one wheeled off road skateboard".  Alternatively we could all dress up in Amish garb and when asked if its electric just say my people don't believe in electricity.  Just food for thought........................:rolleyes:

Archived