KS16S Is Not For My Wife

Rehab1

I have the V5F+, a KS14C, and the MSuper 3 1600 in addition to the KS16S. They all work fine but you need to play around with them until they suit you. For example, the V5F I had severe stability problems until I bit the bullet went out with an air pump, and keep playing with the damned thing until it worked right.

The KS16S required no adjustment period for me as it worked excellent right away, in either medium or hard settings.

The hard setting on the KS16S is harder than the V5, but the medium setting is softer. The V5 cannot be adjusted by the user.

I often grip the KS16S's pads quite hard, and drag the wheel around, and so this gives great acceleration and braking that I can not otherwise accomplish from merely leaning and pushing on the front or rear of the pedals. I find the wheel to just stand there not doing much if I just let it float between my legs.

My two 14 inch wheels I can get good response just by letting it float but my 16 and 18 are easier to ride by clamping on the sidepads.

I do notice my KS16S has a front to rear oscillations when set to medium, at about six hertz. No oscillations as all on hard.

On 9/4/2017 at 6:22 PM, LanghamP said:

I do notice my KS16S has a front to rear oscillations when set to medium, at about six hertz. No oscillations as all on hard.

This sounds strange. My KS-16S has nothing like that. Which firmware version is yours running on? Mine is 1.02.

On 9/3/2017 at 8:23 AM, Rehab1 said:

My wife has finally recuperated from her rotator cuff issues and I had planned to resume  training on her new KS16S. For those who might remember my wife's first wheel that I began her training on was a KS14C. Unfortunately after one day of training it ended up at the bottom of a lake along with my truck. 

I purchased the new KS16S from @Jason McNeil approximately 6 weeks ago as a replacement for the her KS14C. I have never owned a Kingsong before and unfortunately only rode my wife's  KS14C for 1 hour before it's demise. I initially received input from other forum members that the KS14C might not be the best option to teach my wife as it was way to squirrelly. Myself, I found it easy to ride and my wife's first lesson went fairly smooth as she was navigating by herself  around my truck holding on. 

I've have owned the NB1E+ and currently ride my Inmotion V5F+ and V8, the ACM 1600 and Luffy and now the KS16S. I have been riding the KS16S exclusively for the past 2 days and have  experimented with all 3 riding modes ( learning, cycling and player). The learning mode is way to soft and unresponsive for me, the cycling mode is slightly better but still no where near my comfort zone when riding the V5F+, V8 and ACM. Switching the setting to Player Mode is the closest I can find to riding comfortably without having all of my somatosensory inputs firing constantly in high gear.  

This morning was my longest ride so far on the 16S, approximately 2 hours. I returned home with sore calve and thigh muscles. I have been riding for almost 2 years and the sore feeling in my legs reflects back to my first few weeks of training. The inner side of my shins are not sore like neophyte excessive gripping just my lower extremity muscles were fatigued and sore.

As I rode around the lake this morning with no traffic or pedestrians to contaminate my senses I tried to analyze the difference between this wheel and the others. My conclusion was that balancing the 16S required more mini somatosensory inputs. For instance turning a corner and slowing down at the same time resulted in a slight backward pitch of pedals, something I was not use to. I was continually providing millisecond balance corrections with my lower body that was definitely greater than the other wheels I ride. 

Some may say I am just not use the idiosyncrasies of the KS16S, which I would probably agree, but I have not experienced these sensations with any of the other wheels I ride except when I first began learning. I can now easily focus in on the characteristics of each wheel and make a fairly sound determination of the handling and comfort in a short period of time. 

Don't get me wrong I love the KS16S, it's appearance, larger battery packs, the torque going up hills, built in trolley handle and sound system.  I received many complements at 7 am this morning riding around the lake where people were literally coming off their porches and asking me questions and expressing "That is so cool! , "It's jamming", and the customary "How Much".  I just don't  think this will be a good training wheel for my wife. I now plan to teach her on the V8. Unfortunately I now need to make another protective cover.  :crying:

I would be curious to hear feedback from others that have ridden the V5F+, V8 , ACM 1300/ 1600 and the KS16S. Do you have similar opinions  riding this wheel and most importantly would you initially train someone on the KS16S? I know @Jason McNeil has experience riding each of the wheels.  

I trained on the Segway S1. I found transitioning to the KS18S like starting all over. However, once used to it, it is amazing. I will buy nothing but KingSong until something better comes along. 

You just have to get used to it. My guess that is true for every brand. 

Archived