To monitor and measure how many WH during a EUC load

smallexis

I present my weekend tinkering, which makes possible to measure the electricity consumption (in Wh) of the devices that will be plugged and used on my power strip. The goal is to be able to reassure the "boss" of bars, when we take a break for refill (and drinks), that one does not eat its margin in electricity with several wheels in charge (quite the contrary, it costs almost nothing)

So in starting supply I used:

- a power strip :image.png

- a measuring and display module designed to support up to 260V and 20A :

image.png

here is the full link : https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/Accurate-Energy-Meter-Voltage-Current-Power-AC-80-260V-20A-Voltmeter-Ammeter-Blue-Backlight-Overload-Alarm/32694047316.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.XUkW81

- for the cutting I used a jigsaw and a cutter, for the assembly I used hot glue and black silicone.

To get the following result :image.png

I have "sacrificed" the 2 right sockets to position the meter box, the connection is as simple as it can exist: 2 wires in input and 2 wires out without even worrying about any polarity.

In practice, 1) I have a socket with 5 free sockets which allows to measure and accumulate consumed Wh (reset to zero with the small black button).

2) the power supply of the power strip and its housing is switched on by the original switch, the operating voltage is displayed.

3) on the same screen I see in instantaneous: the power (in W), the operating voltage (in V), the amperage (in A) and of course, the consumption (in Wh). In the example presented, by plugging my heat gun (power 2000 W to position 2), I have 8.43 A circulating for a measured power of 1953 W.

22 minutes ago, EU GUY said:

cant you just look at the back of the charger and do some simple math to calculate how much you have or will charge in "xx" min ? 

OK put 5 differents chargers for 5 differents wheels which have not the same battery capacity and explain that to the boss of a bistro who makes you big eyes when you ask him if you can use his socket.

Furthermore, the maximum power is indicated on the back of the charger. In reality the power gradually decreases towards the end of the load, so it is not linear and the calculation of Wh even more apporximative.

This tinkering is not at all essential but it can help give a better image of the wheelers in a society where we are always looked like a problem. But maybe I'm wrong.

9 hours ago, smallexis said:

OK put 5 differents chargers for 5 differents wheels which have not the same battery capacity and explain that to the boss of a bistro who makes you big eyes when you ask him if you can use his socket.

Furthermore, the maximum power is indicated on the back of the charger. In reality the power gradually decreases towards the end of the load, so it is not linear and the calculation of Wh even more apporximative.

T

his tinkering is not at all essential but it can help give a better image of the wheelers in a society where we are always looked like a problem. But maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe not essential but a good idea that may give others new ideas and so on.

1 minute ago, steve454 said:

Maybe not essential but a good idea that may give others new ideas and so on.

Thank you. It was exactly my goal.

I can think of one vendor who recently was perplexed at the sight of my EUC being plugged into his wall socket. From conversations held with patrons he knows by name he is a former Marine from the 1980s.

After a short talk including not how far a battery lasts but how long (time period) the battery lasts ...his only comment about my vehicle was 'interesting'.

It felt inappropriate to mention that the spacing of wall sockets every six feet suggested their availability for patron use. The EUC surely does not look like the more customary laptop using an AC wall socket.

The reality of not being able to complete an EUC journey without recharging ones EUC changes the nature of a riders visit for coffee or whatever to something else best not discussed with the obviously perplexed.

I must admit I can't yet bring myself to ask for permission to charge up. If push comes to shove there is always Uber to get a ride back home.

I left two quarters near the cash register just before two police came in for coffee while on the job.

5 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

I can think of one vendor who recently was perplexed at the sight of my EUC being plugged into his wall socket. From conversations held with patrons he knows by name he is a former Marine from the 1980s.

After a short talk including not how far a battery lasts but how long (time period) the battery lasts ...his only comment about my vehicle was 'interesting'.

It felt inappropriate to mention that the spacing of wall sockets every six feet suggested their availability for patron use. The EUC surely does not look like the more customary laptop using an AC wall socket.

The reality of not being able to complete an EUC journey without recharging ones EUC changes the nature of a riders visit for coffee or whatever to something else best not discussed with the obviously perplexed.

I must admit I can't yet bring myself to ask for permission to charge up. If push comes to shove there is always Uber to get a ride back home.

I left two quarters near the cash register just before two police came in for coffee while on the job.

I guess it just looks like stealing, even if it is only 25 cents worth of electricity.  Hmm, what about slapping a dollar bill on the counter and saying, just a quick recharge.  I'll have a double latte half caff.

11 minutes ago, steve454 said:

I guess it just looks like stealing

I guess it does. And unlike a laptop which ceases to be used upon leaving the vendor's premises, the EUC zips off down the road with a rider's belly full if 5 to 10 dollars worth of unneeded extra calories.

16 minutes ago, steve454 said:

I'll have a double latte half caff.

Work staff are wise enough to know when ,despite a vendor transaction, they are doing you a favor. Typically the exchange is 'have a good one'.

I know the manager by face because he was a worker at the local Dunkin nearer to where I live. Over a period of a year of juicing up my Ninebot at this place I've overheard a few hiring conversations , prior to the former marine's hire. With great anticipation he started one interview making it clear that he was the manager, as opposed to other employees in the room. Secondly, in several interviews the process goes...where do you live....where is that.... do you own a car...do you have a driver's license....how long does it take to commute to the job location. His most enthusiastic interview was with a woman who had a driver's licence, did not own a car but would be taking Uber to get to work. 

A short distance from this location is a Mall with a public charging kiosk which I tend to use more.

9 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

I guess it does. And unlike a laptop which ceases to be used upon leaving the vendor's premises, the EUC zips off down the road with a rider's belly full if 5 to 10 dollars worth of unneeded extra calories.

A good customer should get that with no problem.  

The first encounter with the Marine and father of a kid who recently received a kidney transplant was one in which he spoke freely with anxiety to anyone at the counter about the issues of being a parent with a child who recently had a transplant. Interested or not his parental transplant experience spewed forth. Customers who know  him lent an ear and a wish for a good recovery.

More recently his anxiety level had subsided to the point where he was having more casual conversations with other employees or an occasional customer he recognized. His hire by the manager solves many problems for him and for the manager.

Archived