Thinking about buying a KS-14b for my girlfriend...

Catlord17

She wants to learn, but the MSuper V3s+ is intimidating to her.  I need to know a little more about the KS-14b.  Is it out of date?  If I buy it now, will I be SOL on parts and such?  Is it worthwhile?  Actual range?  Charge time?  Anyone know this stuff?  Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a KS14B, and it is a great learning wheel. Your range for a 150lb rider will be 9 miles with the 148wh and 10 with the 174 wh.  It is very powerful for short distances, and the batteries can be charged on the device or off. I have modded a battery pack for a 264 wh battery and will try it out later this week. It makes it safer as a wheel since there are more batteries to draw power from. I have a post in the Mods section of the forum. They also sell fun auxillary battery chargers that fit the Kingsong plug.

It is a beginner / travel EUC. Mostly for driving moderately around, but capable of great bursts of speed 17mph, and great climbing power for short periods. The motor is excellent and ewheels still sells them new and you can always ask them for how much longer. The main problem and Jason will tell you this is that the batteries are so few in numbers of cells. This makes them easier to drain under stressful riding. It is advised to not ride at full speed when the battery gets below half bars but still very lively at 13 mph which is a safe half power speed.

I am not sure what parts you will need, since you will want to upgrade before the thing runs out of the ewheels warranty. They sell everything you would want as far as new pedals, head and tail lights, inner tubes, tires, outer shells, and batteries, and warranty everything else. Best of all it can travel with you on an airplane. I have done it twice so far and plan on taking it a third time this month. Go to ewheels and they will tell you the charge time and more on the specs. They are accurate.

1 hour ago, Catlord17 said:

She wants to learn, but the MSuper V3s+ is intimidating to her.  I need to know a little more about the KS-14b.  Is it out of date?  If I buy it now, will I be SOL on parts and such?  Is it worthwhile?  Actual range?  Charge time?  Anyone know this stuff?  Thanks in advance for your help.

In my view a 14b is pretty outdated..as it only has one seriell batterie pack i would not consider it safe in comparison to other wheels....go for a 14d or if it has to be under 600 bucks for a GW Mcm3v2.....

for serious driving never go under 200wh (means only one batterie pack)...my 2 cents!

1 hour ago, Stan Onymous said:

but capable of great bursts of speed 17mph, and great climbing power for short periods.

Are you sure about this, I have never seen any report of the KS-14B being upgraded to the 800W motor, plus it has the single serial battery pack. It should be a 500W motor and be topping out at 25km/h, or 15.5 MPH in the same way my first generation KS-14C does.

@Catlord17 it sounds like you are just looking for a 14" wheel and there are a few options:

The KS14B is still a good, and light, wheel ideal for transporting, but the KS-14B/C is quite a wide, somewhat ungainly for 14" wheel. I would have thought, if you can still get hold of it, an Inmotion V5D, V5F, would have been the ideal for a girlfriend in terms of weight, power and looks or KS-14D or S or even the new IPS I5 if really after neat and light?

1 hour ago, Keith said:

Are you sure about this, I have never seen any report of the KS-14B being upgraded to the 800W motor, plus it has the single serial battery pack. It should be a 500W motor and be topping out at 25km/h, or 15.5 MPH in the same way my first generation KS-14C does.

That's true...on some markets it is even announced only with 20kmh....

Well, my KS14C and my KS14B are capable of 17mph just like my V5f. Sure they cruise at 15.5 mph, but they will take you faster, and 17mph was and is their top speed for a rider 150lbs. The 800w gives you 19mph like my V8, which has actually reached 21mph on the Darknessbot app.

Just as I said before, the KS14b is a travelers EUC. The drawback of the single small battery pack, also is its selling point for those who wish to travel with it. Its really a great niche EUC and really fun to learn on. If you are worried about outgrowing it and dont need it for travel, I would suggest a 2nd hand 14c from the forum, since many used that wheel as a starter and were so impressed with it, that they wanted more. The KS14C has a larger battery pack and the 800w version has a more powerful motor that will get you up and down any hill in SF or L.A. and goes at least 19mph and maybe more in short bursts. It will not really be outgrown by her learning. I am getting one this weekend from @Marty Backe , because I love the ride and the range is awesome. Also that usb port is great for charging the phone after you've run down the batteries playing your music through it's Bluetooth speakers. I know that last sentence reads like a Price is Right promo piece, but it has the added benefit of being true too.

7 hours ago, Keith said:

The KS14B is still a good, and light, wheel ideal for transporting, but the KS-14B/C is quite a wide, somewhat ungainly for 14" wheel.

As you can see, the KS14C is only 29.75 lbs, which is only one more than the V5f and it is not ungainly or too wide as you can see with the V5f in the background. Now while that is the 500w version the 800w is only 1.5lbs heavier due to the bigger motor and batteries. I find the pedals on the KS14 to be perfectly in line with my feet stance at 5'8" and 145lbs. The V8 is thinner than both, but it rubbs my left calf in a weird way, and I sometimes have to wear a bandaid to prevent rubbing burn. So real life comfort on the wheel is more important than disembodied measurements. The KS14C is very comfortable IMO

I have both EUCs and am only relying on real world experience with the machines, so if you have any other questions or want to see more in depth pictures or vids, pm me if you want more info on them.

image.jpg

Thanks for the replies, guys.  I'm going to have to decide between this and a GW MCM3, since $475 before shipping and tax is my total budget on this... and they're both $475. One has a lower speed, but is travel friendly, and the other is not travel friendly, has a bigger battery and a higher top speed.  What to do, what to do...

I'm guessing neither of those is exactly a new wheel.

22 minutes ago, Catlord17 said:

Thanks for the replies, guys.  I'm going to have to decide between this and a GW MCM3, since $475 before shipping and tax is my total budget on this... and they're both $475. One has a lower speed, but is travel friendly, and the other is not travel friendly, has a bigger battery and a higher top speed.  What to do, what to do...

Let her look at the pictures and get the one she likes the looks of best.  The Kingsong also plays music, though, might be more fun.:unsure:

1 hour ago, Catlord17 said:

This is one of the rare occasions where i would definitely choose the GW over the KS ;-)

https://tec-toyz.com/products/gotway-mcm3-high-speed-version

31 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

This is one of the rare occasions where i would definitely choose the GW over the KS ;-)

https://tec-toyz.com/products/gotway-mcm3-high-speed-version

:shock2:

For safety, always go with the bigger battery pack.  Both of those wheels are underpowered, but the Gotway had jumped over Kingsong at that time.  Gotway is very good looking nowadays, but they used to be very ugly.  Sorry:blink: I mean the carbon fiber look doesn't disguise the ugly shell.  I love how the two top companies keep improving!

5 hours ago, MaxLinux said:

More EUCs should have colorful options like this yellow one!

Offer choices: green, yellow, blue, red...

KS14CYellow.jpg

@Jason McNeil commented to me that when given the option, the vast majority of people pick black. So you can understand why dealers primarily stock black and why wild colors like this yellow are hard to get.

My first new car was yellow like this. I don't know what I was thinking ;)

Well guys, thanks for the help and the input.  I ended up buying the KS-14b.  Next up is probably going to be the KS-18s.  Now it's just a matter of waiting for it to arrive.  Of course Jason is in Miami, and they are under orders to evacuate, so this will take a while.  Let's hope nobody in Florida (me included) has problems with this hurricane!

Archived