Maximus

KS-16S - Handle not staying locked

Today one side of the handle on my KS-16S started to unlock from the wheel when I picked it up. I could still carry it but all of the weight was being held by just one end of the handle. It seems like only a matter of time before the other end also unlocks preventing me from picking it up. Has anyone else has this problem?  Does anyone know how to fix this so that when I lock the handle it stays locked?  I'm assuming there is some spring inside the unit that is not staying in place?

I think the handle eventually wears out and needs to be replaced.  On mine, I opened it and then I could not get it to go back down.  Was really inconvenient.  I disassembled the entire handle assembly and found that there is a plastic lock at the bottom that had broken, meaning that it would not retract the locking mechanism.  I removed it as a temporary measure - now my handle is the same as yours.  One side locks and one side does not.  I ordered a replacement handle for it.  For now it is fine though, although only one side locks it doesn't affect my ability to carry the wheel.  And at least it is not stuck open, which is much worse.

I agree, having it open all the time would be worse.  I've got some luggage that has this problem :)  Frustrating that the idea of integrating the trolley into the carry handle is not more reliable.  I guess for now I'll be trying to carry it less in hopes that the other side continues to work for a while.  The last thing I want to do is open this wheel.  Maybe I'm not being adventurous enough, but I just want it to work and not have to be a wheel mechanic to keep this thing functional.  Fingers crossed that the one side can hold up for a while and then when it gets too cold to ride anymore I'll tinker with it...

You'll have to open it eventually, maybe for a flat or to replace the tire (mine's getting close to being worn out).  But there is a guide: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4OJrjRwkZroaTh1VVlwQVJRc3lSOEhOU2hjdUZrSGZQOGtn

It's not too hard, I had to do it as soon as I got it because Kingsong had to ship my wheel to me without the batteries installed.

• Upvote 1

On 1.9.2017 at 4:55 AM, Maximus said:

Today one side of the handle on my KS-16S started to unlock from the wheel when I picked it up. I could still carry it but all of the weight was being held by just one end of the handle. It seems like only a matter of time before the other end also unlocks preventing me from picking it up. Has anyone else has this problem?  Does anyone know how to fix this so that when I lock the handle it stays locked?  I'm assuming there is some spring inside the unit that is not staying in place?

I opened the handle (4 small screws from beneath) and applied small amounts of WD-40 into the shafts, then reassembled the handle. That loosened the mechanical parts and now they close and open easily (and also stay locked when pushed inside).

• Upvote 2

This part definately needs improvement! I replaced it 3 months ago and it  wears out again already... 

Mine is "sticky" as well whereby one side will occasionally not lock and requires jiggling. My friend who has a KS16S also has this problem.

I find my external handles on my V5F and on my KS14C to work best, easily installed and removed, and very durable. Aesthetically, I know they are less pleasing than integrated internal trolleys but they work so much better. 

If I could, I'd have all wheels use the Inmotion's V5's trolley.

I tend to oil or grease moving parts that I suspect being prone to wear, even on new devices. Hence I have problems like this extremely rarely. I didn’t do it on the KS-16S handle, but as soon as I started feeling increased friction, I did. WD-40 is a great multi-purpose oil, works wonders here also.