The Cold is Coming!

CaptainKBLS

It's still August but I already have to wear a jacket when riding in the evening.  I'm not complaining about the cool August but this will be my first Fall/Winter with EUC.  I'm not sure how much riding I'll get when it gets colder.

My bathroom remodel has been neglected since I've got these EUC.  I guess the cold will get me back to the bathroom.

I'm assuming your face will be freezing when the wind hits.  Right now I'm enjoying that breeze but I'll probably curse at it later.

45 minutes ago, CaptainKBLS said:

It's still August but I already have to wear a jacket when riding in the evening.  I'm not complaining about the cool August but this will be my first Fall/Winter with EUC.  I'm not sure how much riding I'll get when it gets colder.

My bathroom remodel has been neglected since I've got these EUC.  I guess the cold will get me back to the bathroom.

I'm assuming your face will be freezing when the wind hits.  Right now I'm enjoying that breeze but I'll probably curse at it later.

This will also be my first fall/winter riding.

I've ridden my bike and scooter in this weather and it's a matter of bundling up as usual.

My thoughts will be more on the quality of the sidewalks/roads.

On 8/31/2017 at 7:13 PM, CaptainKBLS said:

...  I guess the cold will get me back to the bathroom.

I usually find that a big burrito will get me back to the bathroom.  But each to his own, I guess.

Seriously though, I'm in Seattle, and in the Fall/Winter/Spring it's usually rainy.  I have to look for days when the weather is less likely to be rainy.  This Summer though, has been nothing but sun.  My car is rarely out of the garage; I'm taking the wheel to work every day.

On 8/31/2017 at 10:13 PM, CaptainKBLS said:

Ditto I'm there with you first winter here as well.  Look at the positive side though, when riding in the winter getting hurt is less likely with multiple layers on :o.  We will all look like cat burglars wearing ski masks.  Maybe instead of people asking me questions they will run away instead..................... 

I've only been riding for 3-4 months.  This will be my first winter as well.  I don't think I will push my luck and ride when there is snow on the ground.  Other wise I guess it will just be bundled up while riding.  good thing is less protective gear.  bad is your expensive coat will be your protective gear.  LOL

On 9/2/2017 at 8:23 PM, Acturbo said:

Ditto I'm there with you first winter here as well.  Look at the positive side though, when riding in the winter getting hurt is less likely with multiple layers on :o.  We will all look like cat burglars wearing ski masks.  Maybe instead of people asking me questions they will run away instead..................... 

Sidewalks are cleared nicely in Chicago.

Getting around should be the same experience.  Probably not for longer periods.

I did start wearing gloves tonight.

It's my second winter with the EUC, and I ride a lot less when it's cold, and I don't ride if there is snow.

Even if you are clothed very well (pullover, down jacket, warm double trousers, warm gloves), after some time the cold airstream crawls through, because you don't move on the wheel.

This is less a problem when riding a bicycle, and no problem at all when you are walking or skiing.

So yes, I'm riding during winter from time to time, but dependent on air temperature not that long like in summer, and I usually don't ride at temperatures below -5 Centigrade.

3 hours ago, HermanTheGerman said:

It's my second winter with the EUC, and I ride a lot less when it's cold, and I don't ride if there is snow.

Even if you are clothed very well (pullover, down jacket, warm double trousers, warm gloves), after some time the cold airstream crawls through, because you don't move on the wheel.

This is less a problem when riding a bicycle, and no problem at all when you are walking or skiing.

So yes, I'm riding during winter from time to time, but dependent on air temperature not that long like in summer, and I usually don't ride at temperatures below -5 Centigrade.

Great advise to remember.

Entering warm buildings, as pedestrians do, may help the cold commute.

Interim public transport would also help to keep warm.

Yes, the sightseeing would be shortened.

Winter wheeling -- at Ninebot One speeds -- was mostly fine last winter, here in the northeast US. I had to be conscious about handling on ice/possible ice, but I found it to be fun. As for the cold... Well, bundle up. I wore my snow pants over my work slacks on the coldest days. That 12mph breeze gets darn cold darn quickly.

From what I have read here the ability of the battery to deliver the necessary current to keep you balanced is an issue in colder weather. Be wary of snow and ice but also of your wheels ability to keep you upright even when well charged. Ride slow and steady and reduce unecessary sudden current loads through sudden speed changes and bumps etc.

On 9/3/2017 at 0:57 PM, HermanTheGerman said:

Yeah, in winter skiing is a lot better than EUC, to keep oneself warm in the body and in the soul: :)

We're planning on Segwaying to the ski slopes.

Bundled up.

With Helmets.

Lights flashing.

For as long as we last.

9 hours ago, Pyrolupus said:

Winter wheeling -- at Ninebot One speeds -- was mostly fine last winter, here in the northeast US. 

Being your from the Northeast do remember how warm it was on New Years Day 2017? 60 degrees! I was surprised just how few people were down by the docks that day. 

19 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Being your from the Northeast do remember how warm it was on New Years Day 2017? 60 degrees! I was surprised just how few people were down by the docks that day. 

That was a good video!  Great areal footage!

22 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Oh, and I'm specifically eying the Mavic. That looks excellent.

Archived