Preferred riding footwear

Kael

I don't know about you, but I'm quite particular about what shoes I wear when riding my unicycle. They mean the difference between feeling connected to the wheel and road or feeling like I might fall off. 

For example, if I wear a pair of leather shoes with a small heel, the riding experience is uncomfortable and unpleasant.

So my preference is actually a pair of those Vibram Five Finger toe-shoes. Namely the Trail. You get so much more control of the wheel and can feel every change in the road surface. Also, they grip the pedals incredibly well. It's like riding barefoot but a lot more comfortable.

Although the one downside is that you get even more comments from other pedestrians/cyclists/road users...

I have a pair of shoes I wear every day that has a relatively worn out rubberized plastic sole, and it loves to slip on the V3s+ pedals if they get even slightly wet.  Also makes me have nervousness-induced foot cramps.  My hiking boots grip well, but kill my feet from lack of support.  I've been thinking about buying another pair of Tevas and trying that... although that's just asking for a shredded foot if I come off.  So I guess I haven't found my preference yet.

I like to wear a pair of hiking boots.  They come up a little higher and provide some ankle protection.  They also have a bit of a stiffer sole which I feel gives a bit more control and responsiveness on the EUC.  

Lately I have been using water shoes, http://www.speedousa.com/mens-hybrid-watercross-water-shoe-style-7749114. They're vented so they stay cool. They're also light but have a relatively firm sole and don't shift around on your foot like a sandal would. Feels like I'm wearing nothing at all! For $20 at Costco I couldn't pass them up and I like them so much I went and bought another pair for when the first pair wears out.

They've already had their first test of fast footwork. I was riding my KS-14C down a sidewalk and didn't notice a really big rock near the edge of the sidewalk. The pedal clipped the rock and I found myself running down the sidewalk with the EUC behind me. Any EUC crash you can walk (run) away from is a good crash.

I like boat style shoes with completely flat soles.  Hiking style for some reason angle my feet differently and seems to make my knees hurt when riding bumpy bike trails.  Airspeed Footwear $20 Walmart.  Actually I think they are more skateboard style.

Image result for airspeed shoes

Any shoes for my MSuper.

Most shoes work well with my KS16.

My V5F and my KS14c require dress shoes or thick-soled boots.

I've noticed any shoes work if the footpad is long and wide enough but if it isn't then one is stuck with using something fairly stiff or else the front of the foot drops off. It's my intent to eventually make pedal extensions for most of my EUCs. One has no choice; crappy design on the part of the EUC manufacturers.

Below is a picture of my EUC shoes - they have a thin flat sole and are pretty flexible which makes them perfect for doing tricks - I am easily able to "feel" the pedals through the soles. The grip works really well with the NB pedals. I have to hide them away at home as my wife would like nothing more than to throw them away :D

EUC_SHOES.thumb.jpg.b2ff85fc50a932dfca761f22eb0ed820.jpg

I always wear formal shoes/brogues now with decent rubber heels. Like below.

I think I got the idea from seeing Jason wearing smart shoes whilst test driving the v5f a year ago. I thought I'd see how they compared to regular trainers/sneakers/boots and was very pleasantly suprised.

The thin front of the shoe helps give you excellent control whilst the thick heel absorbs the bumps and motor vibrations perfectly. Obviously I assume many who actually commute on their eucs (I don't) might have to wear them anyway.

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 17.10.23.png

On 01/09/2017 at 4:30 AM, Catlord17 said:

I have a pair of shoes I wear every day that has a relatively worn out rubberized plastic sole, and it loves to slip on the V3s+ pedals if they get even slightly wet.  Also makes me have nervousness-induced foot cramps.  My hiking boots grip well, but kill my feet from lack of support.  I've been thinking about buying another pair of Tevas and trying that... although that's just asking for a shredded foot if I come off.  So I guess I haven't found my preference yet.

Put some grip tape on the pedals.

5 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Put some grip tape on the pedals.

Have you ever seen the pedals of the V3s+?  They have grip tape and raised ribber lines.  The issue is that the raised rubber lines prevent the grip tape from touching the  shoes in this case.  The pedals were literally designed to be more grippy, and ended up having the reverse effect with flat soled shoes.  My hiking boots?  No problem.  They're now my preferred EUC footwear.

6 minutes ago, Catlord17 said:

Have you ever seen the pedals of the V3s+?  They have grip tape and raised ribber lines.  The issue is that the raised rubber lines prevent the grip tape from touching the  shoes in this case.  The pedals were literally designed to be more grippy, and ended up having the reverse effect with flat soled shoes.  My hiking boots?  No problem.  They're now my preferred EUC footwear.

I'd be ripping that all off and replacing it with just grip tape.  On my KS16 I replace the grip tape once it wears out and it's a dream when it is brand new.

6 minutes ago, Xoltri said:

I'd be ripping that all off and replacing it with just grip tape.  On my KS16 I replace the grip tape once it wears out and it's a dream when it is brand new.

I have certainly thought about it.  At the moment that's going to have to wait.

On 8/31/2017 at 4:53 AM, Kael said:

So my preference is actually a pair of those Vibram Five Finger toe-shoes. Namely the Trail. You get so much more control of the wheel and can feel every change in the road surface. Also, they grip the pedals incredibly well. It's like riding barefoot but a lot more comfortable.

Although the one downside is that you get even more comments from other pedestrians/cyclists/road users...

On your comment, I wore my Vibram also.

Yes, it has a better grip & different feel.  I wondered about my toes as it seems to have less protection than my heavier athletic shoes.

Only upsides.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived