Jump to content

Electric EUC Pump - Must have item?


Henrik Olsen
 Share

Recommended Posts

Portable air pressure? yes, sir ;-) Perfect when riding Electric Unicycle

Watch Mr. Unbox takes a closer look at this rechargeable electric bike pump from Aliexpress. Will he blow? Watch the full unboxing on YouTube to find out (feel free to comment if you like it).
 

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After 570 miles I just put in the slime, the reason I didn't before was because there is not enough room to get the valve core tool on the stem.  I ended up taking the light ring off, then using a small saw to cut off a piece of the shell about two inches long under the pedal.  After that it was easy.  Most people never get a flat, so don't bother.  Having the pump and slime with you is good insurance that hopefully is never needed.  I used this saw from Harbor Freight, Top Man Japanese flush cut saw, $8.99.image_25041.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ir_fuel said:

Don't you put in the slime before getting a flat?

No.  If you do, it might help your tire from going flat though and you may be able to limp or drive far enough to get home and top up the air pressure.  If you get a flat (you have no slime in tire) you put the slime in and pump it up... or use a portable CO2 pump.

Edited by FreeRide
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ir_fuel said:

Don't you put in the slime before getting a flat?

I've just got myself a bottle of slime, thanks to @Marty Backe suggesting (politely) that I must be an internet shopping dumbo when I said it didn't seem to be available in the UK (it is!)

As I understand it you are going to still need a pump as the puncture will lose a fair bit of air before the slime stops it.

Which brings us to @Henrik Olsen's suggestion. My thought was: "sod carrying something that big around with me" I think I'll settle for a little dinky miniature pump, which might be hard work when I need it, but that shouldn't be very often (never so far in 20 months riding), 

Edit, @FreeRide posted whilst I was typing - I like the idea of the CO2 pump even more and they are a lot cheaper as well: http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/7-of-the-best-co2-inflators-1351

Edited by Keith
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, FreeRide said:

No.  If you do, it might help your tire from going flat though and you may be able to limp or drive far enough to get home and top up the air pressure.  If you get a flat (you have no slime in tire) you put the slime in and pump it up... or use a portable CO2 pump.

"No" --> "You could" :) 

 

And those portbable CO2 pumps ... how will you use that easily considering how easy it is to access the valve.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, HermanTheGerman said:

Looks like I prefer to live on the light side of life. :)

I never carry a pump or slime with me, only a few coins for a beer, and a smartphone to call my wife for picking me up, if I can't proceed (because of a flat tire or because of the beer ... :D ).

You might carry a pump if you ride mountain trails that take you miles from the nearest road, like I do. Otherwise I agree, calling the wife can be very convenient.

BTW, I don't carry Slime. The idea with Slime is that you put it in your tire first and then you'll good for ~2 years.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

:D

I bought this miniature pump that I carry with me on my rides. I've let out all the air in my ACM just to test it's effectiveness. I had no problem pumping the tire to full pressure.

Lezyne Pressure Drive Hand Pump

31epLrxLExL.jpg

And here is how I wear it when I'm out riding

IMG_20170829_161044667_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170829_161228486_HDR.jpg

I bought this pump, slightly different version with the digital gauge. While it does not inflate a tire as well as a floor pump, it is tiny and I almost always have it, and my three main tires are slimed.

I got a snakebite recently, and the tire went nearly flat but it did seal. I pumped it back up and it is still fine.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Marty Backe said:

Subtle. I almost missed your little addition :D

Subtle is good.  ^_^ BTW your porch and the plants look beautiful. Joint effort with your wife?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Subtle is good.  ^_^ BTW your porch and the plants look beautiful. Joint effort with your wife?

Thank you. Yes, everything about our house is a joint effort :)

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Thank you. Yes, everything about our house is a joint effort :)

That's great!

Many years ago somehow I became the designated landscaper and my wife was in charge of the inside. There are times when I do get to come inside and work when a complete kitchen or bathroom remodeling project appears on the honey do list.  ;)

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

You might carry a pump if you ride mountain trails that take you miles from the nearest road, like I do. Otherwise I agree, calling the wife can be very convenient.

BTW, I don't carry Slime. The idea with Slime is that you put it in your tire first and then you'll good for ~2 years.

The tire on our wheels seem so tough.  I really haven't considered carrying a pump.

Does it pop or the wrong angle force the air out?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/29/2017 at 5:21 PM, Henrik Olsen said:

Watch Mr. Unbox takes a closer look at this rechargeable electric bike pump from Aliexpress.

I purchased this when I saw Ugo use it on his "J'irai charger partout" trip.

I really like it, but I don't carry it with me when riding, because I don't ride such long distances.

I use it at home to keep my EUC tires at proper pressure.

Just set the desired pressure and the inflator shuts off automatically once desired pressure is reached.

https://www.amazon.com/proX-Inflator-Portable-Compressor-Hand-Held/dp/B06Y1643QW/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1504150549&sr=8-24&keywords=rechargeable+inflator

Here's Ugo using it. His tire repair starts at 1:36.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, CaptainKBLS said:

The tire on our wheels seem so tough.  I really haven't considered carrying a pump.

Does it pop or the wrong angle force the air out?

I'm not sure I understand your question, but here's a recent video I made that shows how my ride was ruined and ultimately how Slime fixed my tire. It was this incident that convinced me to get a ultra portable pump even though I've Slimmed all of my wheels.

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

That's great!

Many years ago somehow I became the designated landscaper and my wife was in charge of the inside. There are times when I do get to come inside and work when a complete kitchen or bathroom remodeling project appears on the honey do list.  ;)

Very funny, and so true. Over the years we've managed to find a balance where we each contribute to the house in ways that reflect our individual strengths and interests. I guess like any good marriage, right :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 30/08/2017 at 5:46 PM, Marty Backe said:

BTW, I don't carry Slime. The idea with Slime is that you put it in your tire first and then you'll good for ~2 years.

Funny thing is, on the outside of the bottle there is no mention of using it to prevent leaks. Only to repair them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 31/08/2017 at 7:09 AM, Marty Backe said:

I'm not sure I understand your question, but here's a recent video I made that shows how my ride was ruined and ultimately how Slime fixed my tire. It was this incident that convinced me to get a ultra portable pump even though I've Slimmed all of my wheels.

 

This is a great video! Thought the slime would prevent the tire going flat. But it clearly doesn't. So yeah, you need a pump if you are stranded somewhere.

 

Any idea how much you need to put in the wheel for a 16" one? The indications on the bottle aren't really clear to me, since they only talk about cars, bikes and wheelbarrows :P 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ir_fuel said:

This is a great video! Thought the slime would prevent the tire going flat. But it clearly doesn't. So yeah, you need a pump if you are stranded somewhere.

 

Any idea how much you need to put in the wheel for a 16" one? The indications on the bottle aren't really clear to me, since they only talk about cars, bikes and wheelbarrows :P 

These are the quantities I use based on advice from others and Slime recommendations:

  • 10" wheel: 2 ounces
  • 14" to 16" wheel: 3 ounces
  • 18" wheel: 4 ounces
  • 22" wheel: 8 ounces
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...