Griffith Park Group Ride for Sept 2nd 2017

Marty Backe

@Stan Onymous is picking up my KS14C, so I figured why not do the exchange at Griffith Park and enjoy a ride at the same time.

This time we will take an unusual frontal attack and proceed up to the very top of the Griffith Park mountains directly from the observatory. Then we'll wing-it based on the group consensus, but I will suggest that we then proceed to the Bronson Caves for a visit to where some of the original Batman TV series was filmed. It's a challenging (yet not too challenging :)) but fun ride.

Let's meet at the usual spot - the parking lot just north of the Greek Theater. ~8:30am for a departure around 9am. Here are the Google coordinates 

@nbxpq3 @Sketch @Roll Model @enigma35 @csmyers @jrkline @noisycarlos @Questor @swvision  @Ando Melkonyan @abinder3 @captainwells @Tjtripp @Sven @unowheel

@Mushuukyou   @Alsayyad @Marvin Ong  @HeavyGoing  @Kimosabi @zentype @n2eus @Peter Q

3 hours ago, Stan Onymous said:

I am in as well. Are you bringing the KS14C? I will still bring my V8 with extra battery just incase anyone wants to try it if I decide to ride the KS. :roflmao: the freedom of choice.

Of course I'm bringing the KS14C - that's the whole point of the ride :D  It'll be fully charged for you.

10 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

Well right on :clap3:! What about the new KS you are getting, or the Gotway? Any possible parking lot exhibition of an mten? I will have 1000 miles on my Inmotion V8 by tomorrow, so I am definately riding the KS14C! 

No. Sadly the new KS won't be arriving until next week and the Mten, who knows :(

I'll have to make do with the MSuper.

Hi Marty, which KS you getting?14,16 or 18? Sport edition? And how long is this Saturday ride? Really want to join the group again , need to plan because working in the afternoon.

Peter Q

On 8/28/2017 at 6:32 PM, Marty Backe said:

This time we will take an unusual frontal attack and proceed up to the very top of the Griffith Park mountains directly from the observatory. Then we'll wing-it based on the group consensus, but I will suggest that we then proceed to the Bronson Caves for a visit to where some of the original Batman TV series was filmed. It's a challenging (yet not too challenging :)) but fun ride.

OMG this sounds like fun! In addition to the Batman TV  series The Bronson Caves were also used for filming "Bonanza," "Star Trek: Voyager," "Fantasy Island," "Little House on the Prairie," "The Lone Ranger," "Gunsmoke" and the "Wild Wild West" and used in movies such as 2002's "The Scorpion King," "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country," "Lost Horizon" and the original "Invasion of the Body Snatchers."

A lot of  history there! Be safe! 

4 hours ago, Peter Q said:

Hi Marty, which KS you getting?14,16 or 18? Sport edition? And how long is this Saturday ride? Really want to join the group again , need to plan because working in the afternoon.

Peter Q

I'm getting the 14S. @Stan Onymous is taking 14C off my hands.

These rides are never short because of the socializing, etc. It's going to be HOT, so this riding day should be shorter so we can get off the mountain well before noon.

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

OMG this sounds like fun! In addition to the Batman TV  series The Bronson Caves were also used for filming "Bonanza," "Star Trek: Voyager," "Fantasy Island," "Little House on the Prairie," "The Lone Ranger," "Gunsmoke" and the "Wild Wild West" and used in movies such as 2002's "The Scorpion King," "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country," "Lost Horizon" and the original "Invasion of the Body Snatchers."

A lot of  history there! Be safe! 

That is so funny. I didn't realize this, but you're right. A hell of a lot of stuff has been filmed there. We rode there once last year, so it's time for another visit :D

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

That is so funny. I didn't realize this, but you're right. A hell of a lot of stuff has been filmed there. We rode there once last year, so it's time for another visit :D

Are you allowed inside the cave? That would make for some interesting video! 

16 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Are you allowed inside the cave? That would make for some interesting video! 

Sure - we rode through it last time. Maybe I'll get some video on Saturday. It's not very exciting I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Sure - we rode through it last time. Maybe I'll get some video on Saturday. It's not very exciting I'm afraid.

You would think with all of the cinematic history at that site Hollywood would have at least posted a commemorative  plaque at the entrance.

Suggestion: Take a group photo at the caves's entrance Saturday.

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

You would think with all of the cinematic history at that site Hollywood would have at least posted a commemorative  plaque at the entrance.

Suggestion: Take a group photo at the caves's entrance Saturday.

Good idea regards the picture. If I can get the guys to stop we'll get one.

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Good idea regards the picture. If I can get the guys to stop we'll get one.

Your the leader of the pack! Just block the entrance SuperMarty!:)

Even though the temperatures were in the high 90's, a few of us enjoyed some nice riding. From the left; me, @Stan Onymous, @JrKline "Wheel Whisperer, @noisycarlos, and @YoshiSkySun

IMG_20170902_093520118_HDR.jpg

33 minutes ago, JrKline "Wheel Whisperer said:

Have gotten a few with a square head shovel.:oThe last one was a 12 rattle Mojave Green.Real nasty fucker!

Wow, I thought all rattlesnakes were brown.  Just googled it and saw these green rattlesnakes.:blink:  The Mojave rattlesnake is one of the world's most venomous snakes. The most common subspecies of Mojave rattlesnake (type A) has a neurotoxic venom that is considered to be the most debilitating and potentially deadly of all rattlesnakes, and even several elapids, including the Mozambique spitting cobra.[10] However, chances for survival are very good if medical attention is sought as soon as possible after a bite.[11]

46 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

This fang-ed beast got the best of my KS14C 

Bit my batteries but good. Replaced with a 30a and all is good. So far

IMG_20170902_152600_01.jpg

Fantastic. I'm glad it was only the fuse.

I know people love KingSong's use of fuses, but it's episodes like this that bother me. However, I think that with the new 'S' models the fuse is accessible without opening the wheel? If so, that'll be great.

1 hour ago, JrKline "Wheel Whisperer said:

@Marty Backe is the expert when it comes to selling wheels right before they fail.:D

I kind of hate saying this, but three out of the four wheels that I've sold have failed. Fortunately not catastrophically. And in your case, maybe when you let it roll down a mountain, that put some additional stress on it ;)

Archived