Transition from forward to backward (same direction), possible?

JimB

Sometimes the EUC feels like ice skating.  I'm wondering if it's even possible to transition from forward to backwards while traveling in the same direction (like a skater would).

Anyone know if this is possible?  Video?

You'd have to ride forward at lets say 5mph and then suddenly swivel the wheel 180 degrees and continue at 5mph (now backwards) without stopping.

I'm thinking you'd fall on your ass.  I certainly would.  But curious.

Well I'd be a little pissed at some a-hole riding through my garden (0:50).

He kind-of does what I was asking at 1:30, though it's coming off a 18" drop.  After the drop, he switches from backwards to forwards, but he doesn't turn a complete 180 (more like 120 for an instant and comes out at 90.

2 hours ago, JimB said:

Sometimes the EUC feels like ice skating.  I'm wondering if it's even possible to transition from forward to backwards while traveling in the same direction (like a skater would).

Anyone know if this is possible?  Video?

You'd have to ride forward at lets say 5mph and then suddenly swivel the wheel 180 degrees and continue at 5mph (now backwards) without stopping.

I'm thinking you'd fall on your ass.  I certainly would.  But curious.

Yes, it's definitely possible. It's part of my daily practice routine, but I can't do it above about 7 or 8mph. It means that the wheel has to switch from +7mph to -7mph in a very short period of time, far less than a second. I am not sure I can do in on tar and don't want to waste my tire in trying. 

24 minutes ago, Mono said:

Yes, it's definitely possible. It's part of my daily practice routine, but I can't do it above about 7 or 8mph. It means that the wheel has to switch from +7mph to -7mph in a very short period of time, far less than a second. I am not sure I can do in on tar and don't want to waste my tire in trying. 

Yes, Mono, that's mostly why I was wondering if it was possible.  The instant shift in motor direction.  Of course your momentum is continuing, so even though the motor is changing directions, I suspect it's not too much actual work (energy) to make that switch.

1 minute ago, Mono said:

several times within the first ten seconds

Yup, that's exactly what I was looking for.  Of course it was pretty obviously possible after seeing the Damien Gaumet video.  I'm watching several of his other videos now.  Amazing.

11 hours ago, JimB said:

He kind-of does what I was asking at 1:30, though it's coming off a 18" drop.  After the drop, he switches from backwards to forwards, but he doesn't turn a complete 180 (more like 120 for an instant and comes out at 90.

Yo @JimB just after I took time to and even thought about making the video for you, I realized that you were just being mean and actually disliked my video. Yo, if ya don't like my riding that's cool but, theres no need to call me an ass hole dude!

BTW It was an evil law firms garden and I rode through it for that reason, if you looked right after that clip there is a close up of the sign I was clowning. No flowers either.

9 hours ago, Sidestreet Reny said:

Yo @JimB just after I took time to and even thought about making the video for you, I realized that you were just being mean and actually disliked my video. Yo, if ya don't like my riding that's cool but, theres no need to call me an ass hole dude!

BTW It was an evil law firms garden and I rode through it for that reason, if you looked right after that clip there is a close up of the sign I was clowning. No flowers either.

@Sidestreet Reny  Hey Reny.  You've got mad skills, and I like the video.  But let's face it, riding through someone's plantings, even an "evil law firm" is a bit dick-ish. I doubt your mother would like it if it was her garden.  And even if you dislike the law firm, remember that there's some poor gardener who is spending his time trying to make it look good.

22 hours ago, JimB said:

I have seen Ian from speedyfeet do what you are asking about. 

2 hours ago, JimB said:

@Sidestreet Reny  Hey Reny.  You've got mad skills, and I like the video.  But let's face it, riding through someone's plantings, even an "evil law firm" is a bit dick-ish. I doubt your mother would like it if it was her garden.  And even if you dislike the law firm, remember that there's some poor gardener who is spending his time trying to make it look good.

What a humanitarian you are @JimB. Dude you don't know me or the gardener yet you called me an asshole, now you called me a dick. Nice guy. Peace.

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

Man,would like to have that driving skills! :-)

@KingSong69, I've tried to locate this video but just can't. I know that you are familiar with this guy, so maybe you might recall his name. I even remember to mentioning him in another thread a couple of months ago.

The video is from a guy who rides an older KS18 - a young guy (~30's ?). He has some amazing riding skills and does the forward-to-reverse maneuver on his KS18 multiple times in the video, and on pavement (not shiny cement like in the KingSong factory). I think he's located in a north eastern part of the United States.

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

@KingSong69, I've tried to locate this video but just can't. I know that you are familiar with this guy, so maybe you might recall his name. I even remember to mentioning him in another thread a couple of months ago.

The video is from a guy who rides an older KS18 - a young guy (~30's ?). He has some amazing riding skills and does the forward-to-reverse maneuver on his KS18 multiple times in the video, and on pavement (not shiny cement like in the KingSong factory). I think he's located in a north eastern part of the United States.

do you mean Bryan Wells?

6 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

do you mean Bryan Wells?

Yes! Amazing memory.

Unfortunately, it looks like @Bryan Wells removed his YouTube videos. Bummer. One of those KS18A review videos showed him doing those forward-to-reverses and it was very impressive, especially considering that he's doing it on a KS18 :)

I always find it strange when people disengage from the Internet and remove videos, etc. Oh well :(

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes! Amazing memory.

Unfortunately, it looks like @Bryan Wells removed his YouTube videos. Bummer. One of those KS18A review videos showed him doing those forward-to-reverses and it was very impressive, especially considering that he's doing it on a KS18 :)

I always find it strange when people disengage from the Internet and remove videos, etc. Oh well :(

Yeah...i cant find him, too :-(

Yes, he has very good skills...while i have to say this was on a 800Watt Ks18...which was -a bit- "softer" and more moveable than the inbetween 1200Watt Versions...@

Dont get me wrong...his skills were fantastic, and i would be happy if i had them :-)

Archived