Jump to content

New Kingsong APP (Android)


ToffeeGirl
 Share

Recommended Posts

Using this new app, it is now possible to upgrade the KS16S still running firmware 1.00 to 1.02.

The change notes say something about gyro calibration fixes... I wonder if the dipping through turns is now gone. Never got it to go away even after calibrating multiple times.

The upgrade took almost forever, but it went through without any problems. 

Screenshot_20170828-070539.png

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Christoph Zens said:

Using this new app, it is now possible to upgrade the KS16S still running firmware 1.00 to 1.02.

The change notes say something about gyro calibration fixes... I wonder if the dipping through turns is now gone. Never got it to go away even after calibrating multiple times.

The upgrade took almost forever, but it went through without any problems.

Though I see it positive, that the long awaited (half a year late?) new app now at least appears in Mandarin, I'm disappointed that it doesn't appear at the same time in English, because this should really be not difficult to realize.

App development is still a weak point at Kingsong, and they should change that. In our times, where everything is digital, it is not necessary for a company who builds such great wheels to have a weak point like that.

It would also be great, if the app could be downloaded and upgraded by the standard way via Google playstore at the end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, ToffeeGirl said:

@Christoph ZensAre you able to access the Speed Setup (时速设置) menu on the app?

When I access this menu item, it crashes the app.

I didn't try. I used the app just for firmware upgrade. Otherwise I am using the older (green) app. They install in parallel, so I now have both apps on my phone. But I can try and see what happens. I'm sure there will be crashes with the new app and it will take some time to sort them out. Be sure to send the crash report, so that the developer sees where the app crashed and has an opportunity to fix it. As a developer, one gets pretty detailed information about crashes (provided that the user sends the report), so it is usually very easy to fix even based on only one report.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HermanTheGerman said:

App development is still a weak point at Kingsong, and they should change that. In our times, where everything is digital, it is not necessary for a company who builds such great wheels to have a weak point like that.

This new app is really feature-packed. If there is only one guy working on it, which I assume it is, it's no wonder it took so long to get it done. I don't even understand everything I see there, but judging from the permissions alone, there must be a lot of non-essential functionality. Maybe they should have focused on the primary functions first, like configuring and monitoring the wheel, but that wasn't the case. They tried to "do it all". Since they already had a working app out there, that's an understandable decision.

Translation and verification of this amount of string data should take them maybe a week, based on my experience. So I guess the English version will be out soon. Until then, it will be some guess-work based on icons and my understanding of Japanese Kanji, which are kind of similar, at least to an extent that it's possible to know which button reads "go ahead" and which one says "cancel" ^_^.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ToffeeGirl said:

When I access this menu item, it crashes the app.

I tried it. It doesn't crash the app entirely, so no crash report to be sent. The app somehow disconnects from the wheel and goes back to the main screen, so the function does not work, but since the app itself doesn't crash, the developer will not know. We need to report this through some other means.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gytis said:

Would be great to get source code of this new app. Then i could to translate and develop by our needs.

If King Song wanted/needed to keep the working code private, then perhaps the strings alone could be placed in a public location (e.g. GitHub) that the app pulls in as a separate language pack. I've seen other apps use add-on language packs, and making the localizations public would be a boon. (Though being able to submit bugfixes would be an even bigger win, but I'd take open-sourced localizing as a first step.)

In the meantime, taking screenshots and uploading them to a translator service...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Pyrolupus said:

If King Song wanted/needed to keep the working code private, then perhaps the strings alone could be placed in a public location (e.g. GitHub) that the app pulls in as a separate language pack.

As far as Android goes, all string resources are available in XML format (one file per language), which are compiled into the application. The only thing necessary to do is translate that XML file, place it in the correct folder in the project and compile it. What I do for my app is to publish the original (English) XML on a website, where people grab it, translate it to all kinds of languages and send it to me via email. The only thing I do is to add the file to the app project, bump up the app version number and compile. KingSong could do the same, but then they should have provided the original resource file in English, so that more people can translate it to other languages.

They could even do a first shot by having Google translate their Chinese XML for them and use that as a starting point. Many app developers seem to do this. The result is really hard to understand at times :facepalm: but still better than not understanding anything at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It would be really nice to have the King Song app opensourced! If not possible, another option would be to publish the Bluetooth LE service specifications (available characteristics, descriptors and stuff) for custom app development.

I'm currently working on a standalone Android Wear app/watchface for KingSong KS-16S since phone seems to be a bit awkward to use while riding. I've figured out how to read data from the wheel, but apparently there is some configuration to do before wheel co-operates (there is no data unless I start the official KingSong app first).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, slarba said:

It would be really nice to have the King Song app opensourced! If not possible, another option would be to publish the Bluetooth LE service specifications (available characteristics, descriptors and stuff) for custom app development.

I'm currently working on a standalone Android Wear app/watchface for KingSong KS-16S since phone seems to be a bit awkward to use while riding. I've figured out how to read data from the wheel, but apparently there is some configuration to do before wheel co-operates (there is no data unless I start the official KingSong app first).

Have you already looked at WheelLog?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cooper.wheellog

Even if the app doesn't do what you need (particularly if you don't have a Pebble), its source is on GitHub (developed, I believe, by @JumpMaster on these forums), which may help you work through communication.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Pyrolupus said:

Have you already looked at WheelLog?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cooper.wheellog

Even if the app doesn't do what you need (particularly if you don't have a Pebble), its source is on GitHub (developed, I believe, by @JumpMaster on these forums), which may help you work through communication.

Yes I have, but it seems to suffer the same issue (at least with KS-16S and Samsung S8). Need to start the Kingsong app first :/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, slarba said:

Yes I have, but it seems to suffer the same issue (at least with KS-16S and Samsung S8). Need to start the Kingsong app first :/

The latest WheelLog version does no longer have this problem.

Download it here:

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=12506

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, HermanTheGerman said:

The latest WheelLog version does no longer have this problem.

Download it here:

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=12506

What's possibly worth to mention, is, that since I use FW 1.25, the rangecounter of my KS16 is stuck between 2600 and 2800 km.

Don't know if it is the fault of the App or of the wheel firmware, but I can do what I want, this never changes. Regardless if I ride without the App and my phone (which happens quite often), or if I disconnect the App first and then turn off the wheel, or if I turn off the wheel without disconnecting, I'm always starting the next time with a value between 2600 and 2800 km.

It's a little bit disturbing, because I know, I drove a lot more than 3000 km, but do not know how much more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 3:20 PM, Christoph Zens said:

Using this new app, it is now possible to upgrade the KS16S still running firmware 1.00 to 1.02.

The change notes say something about gyro calibration fixes... I wonder if the dipping through turns is now gone. Never got it to go away even after calibrating multiple times.

The upgrade took almost forever, but it went through without any problems. 

Screenshot_20170828-070539.png

I can confirm: The dipping through turns is gone. I also felt this issue since I got my wheel but got used to it. Now I upgraded the firmware from 1.00 to 1.02 with the Chinese APP and the wheel behavior clearly improved

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I confirm that available here:

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=12506

new version of WheelLog does not need Kingsong application to run when connecting to KS16S!  Hurrrrrraaaa!!!   

Big thank You to JumpMaster!!! 

 

 

"New" Kingsong app is UGLY and interface was designed by somebody who never used the wheel himself, 

Regarding the graphic design –  user must be able to operate main application functionalities in thick gloves and see all important texts from 2 meters away. Letters shall be big, graphs shall be very well visible, so contrasting colors – dark background and yellow/red display and thick bars must be used. Speed, Battery and temperature level must be in big letters – clearly visible

 

For now KS aplication is much below my expectations - too many useless icons on the main screen, speed readout is badly visible, no contrasting colors, too small texts, terrible graphic design, really nothing to write home about!!!

 

WheelLog saved us from the need of starting the of KS application completly now - GREAT news as I use WheelLog it with Pebble every day!

 

Edited by Lukasz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Lukasz said:

For now KS aplication is much below my expectations - too many useless icons on the main screen, speed readout is badly visible, no contrasting colors, too small texts, terrible graphic design, really nothing to write home about!!!

Yes. And every time I start it, it comes up with a screen showing some photos. I always have to switch to the wheel page before it even tries to find and connect to the wheel. Very strange. I will only use it for firmware upgrades and wheel configuration, which is probably the intended usage anyways. It doesn't look like it was meant to be used during riding, and in fact, it's probably a good idea to refrain from using any kind of app while riding, no matter how big the letters are.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29.8.2017 at 7:23 AM, HermanTheGerman said:

The latest WheelLog version does no longer have this problem.

Download it here:

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=12506

Do you know if this version already supports the new way the KS16S reports current? The new KS app shows correct reverse current (negative values, I got readings up to -10A going down hill), hopefully WheelLog will be able to support this as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Christoph Zens said:

...., and in fact, it's probably a good idea to refrain from using any kind of app while riding, no matter how big the letters are.

It's interesting, that we software guys all own the same scepticism about software. :)

It's also the only reason why I am a little bit cautious about Tesla cars, and about AI, because both is driven by software made by silly humans. :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Christoph Zens said:

Do you know if this version already supports the new way the KS16S reports current? The new KS app shows correct reverse current (negative values, I got readings up to -10A going down hill), hopefully WheelLog will be able to support this as well.

No, I don't know, but I believe it will not, because that was no topic until now.

But talk directly to the new developer, @palachzzz, and ask.

Possibly we should move the thread out of the Inmotion subgroup into general subgroup, so that more people can participate and read it:

 

Edited by HermanTheGerman
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...