New KingSong 18L?

who_the

The Hong Kong Electronics fair is probably the most important event in the Electric Unicycle/Scooter calendar. For the past two years,  it's been divided between the Convention Center in downtown Hong Kong & the Expo Hall by the airport. This creates a bit of split in focus of the exhibitors at the two sites. 

At the Asia Expo, there's a couple board/scooter companies being represented, but really the only main recognizable brand being offered is King Song. 

Now onto the 18L: the booth had just the one Wheel available, I didn't have the opportunity to take it outside & try it properly, there is the possibility we can do this  tomorrow:

• Release Date: the product is still in the prototype stage, design is mostly completed, but some of the small details, like the handle require further improvement. Based on conversations I've had, I don't believe that it won't be released until the beginning of next year 
  • Handle: it's basically an extension of the 16S, because of the additional height, this prototype version is not the most rigid when extended. It's hoped that the final production version will be the same as the 14D, with the metal handle.
  • Ride: like the 18S, it feels lightening responsive, but because of it's smaller bulk & mass is easier to perform sharp turns
  • Width: at it's widest point in the center, about the same as the 18S around 175mm. It feels comfortable to ride, with no pressure points to any particular point in the leg
  • Pricing: still not set definitively. I put the case to the Marketing Director that to be on a level pegging with the Tesla, it needs to be set at around the same $1500 price.

Will be meeting the Engineering team tomorrow to go over the specifics of technical stuff, they'll be more photos, updates & reports to come over the next few days.

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjNWhtNEJoT

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjRUhiOEdCU

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjQVNib0JmV

This is Flora, giving three thumbs up on the 18L 

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjTkJZOWZqaFJkLUE  uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjdDRqdTJhN

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great update.  The part that surprised me most was the January release date.  I'd been under the mistaken impression that it was pending release this very week.  If I were King Song, I would want a sooner release to maximize the window before I have to compete against the Z series.   

The nicest surprise about it are the higher pedals.

@Jason McNeil Please  tell them to make a 1600 or 2400 or 5000 Wh version of this!! What's the point of a fast, offroad-capable comfortable cruiser with low range? These are the same people who had to be convinced of the 14S vs just the 14D!

2 hours ago, Meng Yang said:

In 2018, 18L's gonna compete with Z10 for the same customer group looking for a cruiser with off-road abilities.

Really, since Ninebot is out of the game since two years....failing like hell on the One P....and seeing the test videos, where the Z makes a pretty weak picture...i guess it is nothing to worry for KS or GW at the moment...

Just now, KingSong69 said:

Really, since Ninebot is out of the game since two years....failing like hell on the One P....and seeing the test videos, where the Z makes a pretty weak picture...i guess it is nothing to worry for KS.

I'm not so sure. It depends a lot on the finished product and the price point. There is something to be said for going fat with tyres... at least for those of us that live a bit further north by the coast, where it is always wet.

I so do hope that the fall-in-a-hole videos where aberrations, not a sign of a setup that can't dish out the power.

Just now, Scatcat said:

I'm not so sure. It depends a lot on the finished product and the price point. There is something to be said for going fat with tyres... at least for those of us that live a bit further north by the coast, where it is always wet.

I so do hope that the fall-in-a-hole videos where aberrations, not a sign of a setup that can't dish out the power.

Where it is wet you dont want a fat tire, or? 

For ME it looks that Ninebot was way to fast with giving leaks to the Zx...seeing that it only will come to market „early 2018“.

And i just dont see any advantage on fat tires, absolutly no Cross vehicle had such a wide tire...but Ok, we will see.

And then also, it are the rumours that this thing will only be released in China.....

11 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

For ME it looks that Ninebot was way to fast with giving leaks to the Zx...seeing that it only will come to market „early 2018“.

And i just dont see any advantage on fat tires, absolutly no Cross vehicle had such a wide tire...but Ok, we will see.

And then also, it are the rumours that this thing will only be released in China.....

Nah, it seems it will be released in China first, and Internationally later. We can expect to be able to buy it somewhere mid-spring or so. As I understand the situation, it currently goes through tests and adjustments, so hopefully whatever lack of power we saw are just that - a beta problem.

And fat tires/tyres are good for rough roads when you don't have any suspension, and you have a larger area touching the ground. On the minus side, that means less range, on the plus side it should mean better grip. I know it's not THAT simple, but the potential is there.

Wow, it is huge!  It is bigger and thicker than I thought.  Still want one thought!  Jan 2018 seems a bit out, but then again, can't really ride it in the winter here in the northeast anyway.  LOL

8 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Wow, it is huge!  It is bigger and thicker than I thought.  Still want one thought!  Jan 2018 seems a bit out, but then again, can't really ride it in the winter here in the northeast anyway.  LOL

The only thing that makes me a bit envy, is the 1800watt motor at 84 Volt....

Other than that...i prefer my 1680wh 18S over the 18L 1036wh all the time...i am not that fan of LED and the shape it looks on the pictures....when is see the glossy red 18S beside the flat 18L...i would go for the 18S...but thats all personal opinion.

i really hope they bring out a 1600wh (or more) 18L version with wider sidepads....THAT would open my money pocket very wide :-)

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

I’ve been thinking about this, but I don’t know. Currently all bicycle lanes and pathways here are covered with wet decaying tree leaves. After I fell down on wet mud I’m constantly afraid riding on them, so I’m not having fun anymore. I keep wondering if the 4” tire on the Z would grip better.

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

Increasing the 16S from 2.125” to 2.5” made a big difference. Grip when turning on dirt, stability over rough spots and even loose gravel, not sinking in soft spots anymore, ease going over roots etc. 4” might be overkill, but I’m pretty sure a 18” x 3” wheel would be great.

10 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

This reads like a huge "That's what she said!" joke:efee612b4b: (Sorry, 2006 mode was inadvertently activated)

7 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

That's what she said. 

I thought you already had two 18 inchers although the form factor of this wheel is, to me, more desirable.

Interestingly I did go on a two hour rode with another person, on the 840 watt KS16, and I did end up under 30% from 80% which is pretty miserable. Bigger batteries might work better for you.

5 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

The only thing that makes me a bit envy, is the 1800watt motor at 84 Volt....

Other than that...i prefer my 1680wh 18S over the 18L 1036wh all the time...i am not that fan of LED and the shape it looks on the pictures....when is see the glossy red 18S beside the flat 18L...i would go for the 18S...but thats all personal opinion.

i really hope they bring out a 1600wh (or more) 18L version with wider sidepads....THAT would open my money pocket very wide :-)

I actually like the 18S, just for the sheer ability to sit.  I still can't go too long without sitting.  I like that as an option.  The only thing missing on the 18S is the trolly handle.  

1 minute ago, mrelwood said:

Increasing the 16S from 2.125” to 2.5” made a big difference. Grip when turning on dirt, stability over rough spots and even loose gravel, not sinking in soft spots anymore, ease going over roots etc. 4” might be overkill, but I’m pretty sure a 18” x 3” wheel would be gr

I am with you on that 3inch one....but not any more like the Z10....This flat big tires are normally only needed for Super bikes with more than 100horsepower....thats not what our EUC‘s are made for. Even High Power moto cross bikes dont have such a big tire...for a reason.

But for the most i doubt that 9bot can close the gap from 2 years bringing nothing to the market!

Their last wheel attempt was a 15S!!! parallel system....and they have none experience on anything over 24kmh...there One P failed like no else wheel. Seeeing the videos from the Zx tests...they sean to be ridiculous weak, not on the hill, on idling, and curving and accelerating....

And: They will be very, very, expensive...so that should also be a bummer....

5 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

That's what she said. 

I thought you already had two 18 inchers although the form factor of this wheel is, to me, more desirable.

Interestingly I did go on a two hour rode with another person, on the 840 watt KS16, and I did end up under 30% from 80% which is pretty miserable. Bigger batteries might work better for you.

I didn't expect it to be nearly as big as the 18S...  I was expecting more of the 16S form factor.  But it is thick which is why I don't like the Msuper.  

6 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

I actually like the 18S, just for the sheer ability to sit.  I still can't go too long without sitting.  I like that as an option.  The only thing missing on the 18S is the trolly handle.  

Yip, Thats right...but you can get a nice DIY solution like this:

rIwJsa5.jpg

5 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

I didn't expect it to be nearly as big as the 18S...  I was expecting more of the 16S form factor.  But it is thick which is why I don't like the Msuper.  

Actually with 18cm wideness it is less thick than an 16S or 18S

11 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Actually it hasn't bothered me enough yet to do the DIY handle mod.  

Believe me, its great with that trolley and worth it...also had that on my 18A :-) and would not want to miss it:

MksNzt7.jpg

makes even that big wheel a perfect commuter one :-)

I wonder if Ninebot listened in when we mentioned the Batman comments about wheel design as well as the Fat Bike tire size questions from way back.  Maybe it's just a natural evolution and variance that manufacturers are trying to incorporate new and different features that help stand out.

My question about the new KingSong KS16L would be have they strengthened the handle locking structure?  I read some comments about the 16S having problems with one side not locking any more so when a rider needs to carry their wheel there is a risk of a potential drop if the one latch slips.  These luggage trolley handles are great for luggage, but usually the bag has a separate carry handle whereas these wheels don't.  Maybe a future "split" design where the handle is in two parts might be beneficial as long as skin doesn't get sandwiched in between.  One half could remain fixed and the other side extend for trolley purposes.  When slid down and locked the two halfs can then act as a carrying handle with the fixed side offering the most support for the weight of the wheel.  I've got a preliminary design in my mind.  :efef6b27e5: 

Or maybe have a swing up carry handle that is molded into the shell top so it can be deployed when needed.  It would have to be designed to avoid the trolley handle somehow though.

Also, with all that wonderful top real estate available on the wheel shell, when are they going to put some status indicators up there for easy viewing from the riding position?  Battery level, temp, distance travelled, small LCD TV with satellite reception, etc would be nice.  Who likes to stop and glance at the side of the wheel or at their phone while riding? :rolleyes:

BTW, Flora's pretty cute, but geez has she even finished junior high school?  :blink:

On 11/10/2017 at 9:58 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Also, with all that wonderful top real estate available on the wheel shell, when are they going to put some status indicators up there for easy viewing from the riding position?  Battery level, temp, distance travelled, small LCD TV with satellite reception, etc would be nice.

Yesss !!!!! I agree so much !

The Kingsong KS16A prototype had a battery level indicator directly viewable when riding... But the production KS16B didn't ! So bad kingsong's choice ! :facepalm:

Archived