New KingSong 18L?

who_the

@mrelwood Wasn't really going off the mockup, that's computer modeled.

I was going off the real factory pic below; that sidewall edge sure looks like a Kenda to me.

But I actually hope you're right, 'cause I'm not a fan of Kenda and, as a potential buyer, would prefer not to have to source a 3rd party tire.

36D4C988-16B1-41FD-A778-B0D209113A41.thu

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

I was going off the real factory pic below; that sidewall edge sure looks like a Kenda to me.

But I actually hope you're right, 'cause I'm not a fan of Kenda and, as a potential buyer, would prefer not to have to source a 3rd party tire.

36D4C988-16B1-41FD-A778-B0D209113A41.thu

Just noticed, it's fully green on the right side,  but orange red on the left side.  Ninebot does not do that.  If that means half charged, then that is new.

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

But the closeups on the white one looks OK to me. The top corners look off, but otherwise to me it looks a lot better than the 18S. But I agree, still not the best looking wheel.

I think my issue is that the wheel looks unbalanced (looks wise). The pads look like an afterthought. Too small for the body. The speaker openings are too far to the edges. I appreciate it is to fit the battery in there but it overloads the outside of the wheel while the middle looks too plain. The seam in the plastics under the handle is a bit unpleasant too. Ruins any attempt at sleakness. It also prematurely cuts off the black finish that runs around the 'rim'. It looks like it should extend higher. But, as also mentioned I'm pleased to see the 'violin' styling at the bottom of the led bar gone. That was one thing about the 16S I didn't like and why when I was looking at them I'd have only got the black version to hide that design 'feature'.

5 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Ah, ofcourse. But even then, it is a different model to what came on my 16S (and Lhotz). On the 18L side view every other thread block is smaller. On the 16S Kenda they are all of the same size.

Am I correct in that the one on the left is the 18S? If so, perhaps they are going back to the tire on the older 18 on the right?

KS18B-Oblique.jpg.b4e932942c00bc9e5f6b47bef6a0738f.jpg18_inch_black_2.jpg.bb1074a985a86899eb9fedd2cfae191e.jpg

I also don't like the Kenda that came on the Lhotz (same as 16S but 2.5"). That's why I keep on grabbing to this idea of a better tire...

After a 22hr trip, just arrived in HK, @Joey Serrin is here tomorrow. Will try to post some pictures of the Wheel in the flesh sometime in the morning (local time), about 12 hours from now. 

Some other answers I'll see if I get for the 18L are:

• Put the Wheel on a scale to verify if it is really 18kg; for context, the 16S is 17.3kg. For a 18" with 12 more cells & only weighing 700g, that's good going. 
  • Pricing & availability 
  • Ask one of the KS Testers to prove its maximum speed ;) 
  • What type of MOSFETs does it use? 
  • Is the handle made of the same magnesium alloy as the 14D or is it plastic?
  • Are there plans to offer a seat later on? 
  • Does it have 4x or 2x speakers? 
  • Colours, are these concepts or actual production options that will be offered immediately?

If anyone has any other questions about the Wheel, please post below & I'll try to find it out.

7 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Ah, ofcourse. But even then, it is a different model to what came on my 16S (and Lhotz). On the 18L side view every other thread block is smaller. On the 16S Kenda they are all of the same size.

Am I correct in that the one on the left is the 18S? If so, perhaps they are going back to the tire on the older 18 on the right?

KS18B-Oblique.jpg.b4e932942c00bc9e5f6b47bef6a0738f.jpg18_inch_black_2.jpg.bb1074a985a86899eb9fedd2cfae191e.jpg

I also don't like the Kenda that came on the Lhotz (same as 16S but 2.5"). That's why I keep on grabbing to this idea of a better tire...

None of the wheels is a 18S....

But the 18S only is different from the left one in stating "KingSong sports" on the sidepad.

The right Picture is a very old KS18a with 500 or 800 Watt Motor, can be seen on the 14b/c style pedals and the Motor rim.

The Kenda tire does not wear down as fast as the tire on my V3...so in Terms of longevity and quality it is more on the good side.

12 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

I think my issue is that the wheel looks unbalanced (looks wise). The pads look like an afterthought. Too small for the body. The speaker openings are too far to the edges. I appreciate it is to fit the battery in there but it overloads the outside of the wheel while the middle looks too plain. The seam in the plastics under the handle is a bit unpleasant too. Ruins any attempt at sleakness. It also prematurely cuts off the black finish that runs around the 'rim'. It looks like it should extend higher. But, as also mentioned I'm pleased to see the 'violin' styling at the bottom of the led bar gone. That was one thing about the 16S I didn't like and why when I was looking at them I'd have only got the black version to hide that design 'feature'.

Totally agree on the Looks. Actually i think this would look much better if in the middle it would have the same sidepad size and wideness of the 14s.

(And that would also leave the Option for a bigger battery)

23 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

After a 22hr trip, just arrived in HK, @Joey Serrin is here tomorrow. Will try to post some pictures of the Wheel in the flesh sometime in the morning (local time), about 12 hours from now. 

Some other answers we'll try to get for the 18L are:

• Put the Wheel on a scale to verify if it is really 18kg; for context, the 16S is 17.3kg. For a 18" with 12 more cells & only weighing 700g, that's good going. 
  • Pricing & availability 
  • Ask one of the KS Testers to proof its maximum speed ;) 
  • Colours, are these concepts or actual production options that will be offered immediately?

If anyone has any other questions about the Wheel, please post below & I'll try to find it out.

Me and some friends have proofed the 50kmh on the 18S in real life...i doubt this wheel will be worse :-)

Mosfets: IRFP 4368 atm least, i would guess? :-)

It has 4 Speakers, can be seen on one of the leakes production hall photos.

For the colours: It has not been that Long time ago that KS stated that -for all wheels they offer- with each order of 10 or bigger you can choose a Color now...

@mrelwood it's all just different variations on a theme of Kenda.

All Kenda tires I've ridden on, wheel diameter regardless, have a bit of a plastic-y, hollow feel that I'm not too fond of.

Tires like CST (used by Gotway/Rockwheel) or CYT/Chao Yang (InMotion) give the feeling of a more dense rubber that grounds the EUC to the road and absorbs bouncing, preventing the slight 'bounce back' feeling I get when dropping off a slight curb on a Kenda tire.

@Jason McNeil please confirm:

• speed reduction handling
  • if the KS18L is in fact 84V, and if so, is the port GX16-4 w/ same pin config as Gotway, or different (or maybe like Rockwheel, 84V GX16-3 having same pin config as 67.7V KingSong, etc.)
  • any change / improvement to LED patterns

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

• Pricing & availability 

are the peddles magnetic and when can we get our orders in?  LOL

5 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

are the peddles magnetic and when can we get our orders in?  LOL

I always wonder what is that with this magnetic pedals?

I just use my feet to push down the pedals when i want to go on or off the wheel, while i am Holding it on the trolley.

So that i dont see a benefit of having them magnetic, as Long as they are such stiff and firm as on KS?

3 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

I always wonder what is that with this magnetic pedals?

I just use my feet to push down the pedals when i want to go on or off the wheel, while i am Holding it on the trolley.

So that i dont see a benefit of having them magnetic, as Long as they are such stiff and firm as on KS?

Yeh, the peddles are too stiff with the spring mechanism.  I really dislike this feature and it is a pain to DIY.

The Gotway pedals are fun to use. Easy to fold in, and with a big of practice, you can put your wheel down bumpily so they unfold. :efee6b18f3: Sometimes they unfold involuntarily when tilting the wheel (lifting it into a trunk or so), but with a slittle swing or when you lie down the wheel, you can get them closed again. Fun little games with them.

KS pedals (just know the 14C) are more like having to be pried open. But they surely won't open if you don't want them to. Or close.

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

@KingSong69 folding back up the KS pedals is the pain, it's hard to do with a simple foot pull, thus slower, unlike the Gotway magnetic solution.

Really? i just kick them up, without any problems? its sceond nature...driving in front of a supermarket/grocery, jumping of the wheel , kicking left, kicking right, ready....

1 minute ago, KingSong69 said:

Really? i just kick them up, without any problems? its sceond nature...driving in front of a supermarket/grocery, jumping of the wheel , kicking left, kicking right, ready....

Your kicks must be very powerful! :lol::lol::lol:

2 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Your kicks must be very powerful! :lol::lol::lol:

I get the point, that its easier on GW—magnet pedals!

But in the other way:

KS pedals feels like slamming the door of a big SUV or mercedes

and GW pedals are like closing a volkswagen door :-)

Kinda felt like I was physically abusing my KS18 everytime I force-closed the pedals... but to each their own, really personal preference I think.

What I really want is a non-powered, electrical latch-spring hook that can be released by an easily-accessible button trigger on the handle, so no foot maneuvering is necessary to just take off and go!

Pedals on my 16S have loosened up, so that I can also easily kick them up and down. Can't see how the magnetic ones would be better. In the beginning they were ofcourse very stiff, so I greased the axle and the spring mechanism.

5 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

• Pricing & availability 

Thank you Jason! As you've seen, I'm obsessed with the tire... Please take a photo of the tire tread as well!

6 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

• Pricing & availability 

Isn't the KS18L a little too short to put a seat on ?
(I guess if you're 5ft tall, maybe it would be okay.)

Just now, novazeus said:

@Jason McNeil i guess weight capacity of the wheel is 120kg. could you please take a picture of the pressure range of the tire and it’s maximum load rating?

56 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Thank you Jason! As you've seen, I'm obsessed with the tire... Please take a photo of the tire tread as well!

I take a bet it is the same Kenda as always, on all their 18inches: 

Kenda 64-355: 18inch x 2,5 tire with print: 90kg, 2,8 bar, 40 Psi printed on

Which i drove since 1,5 years on my Ks18a or 18s...100kg or more, 3,5 bar, 50 Psi, without any probs

(latest Gotway tire on V3 etc:  Cst-E Bike Pro-Cheng Shin Tire, printed 35-45psi, no weight limit printed on)

Questions:

1. Is the 18L a high center-of-gravity wheel? Think I read somewhere that the 18S has its weight centered up top. V8 and MSuperV3 too. Low CG wheels includes GT16 and Tesla.
  2. How many Lumens does the front lamp throw out? Tesla's 260 lumen, I think.
  3. Is the ventilation open-air (like 18S, GT16) or closed (Tesla, Monster)?

26 minutes ago, Meng Yang said:

Questions:

1. Is the 18L a high center-of-gravity wheel? Think I read somewhere that the 18S has its weight centered up top. V8 and MSuperV3 too. Low CG wheels includes GT16 and Tesla.
  2. How many Lumens does the front lamp throw out? Tesla's 260 lumen, I think.
  3. Is the ventilation open-air (like 18S, GT16) or closed (Tesla, Monster)?

I don't think KS would design something with high center of gravity.  

Archived