Peoples responses

craio

I've gotten two "Did you build that?!" and a lot of "Wow, that's cool!", "Awesome!" and one very curvy very beautiful woman said, "I like your one wheel!"

There have also been a few young guys driving sports cars who felt it necessary to inform me that I should "get a car, loser!" and one tricked out mudding truck who thought it would be amusing to startle me off the thing with a fog horn.  (I did not fall.)

2 hours ago, Catlord17 said:

and one very curvy very beautiful woman said, "I like your one wheel!"

And am guessing you replied to that curvy beautiful woman by saying what you like about her ;)

4 hours ago, Catlord17 said:

There have also been a few young guys driving sports cars who felt it necessary to inform me that I should "get a car, loser!" and one tricked out mudding truck who thought it would be amusing to startle me off the thing with a fog horn.  (I did not fall.)

I'm one of the last on earth to see the movie, Back to the Future, last night.

The skateboard scene where the hooligans end up with manure dumped in their car is skillful.

You reminded me of that.

7 hours ago, Shabba said:

And am guessing you replied to that curvy beautiful woman by saying what you like about her ;)

I responded by being friendly and polite, and building a ramp towards the next time we meet being positive.  Driving by, she caught me by surprise.  I was gone before I had a chance to think about it.  But there will be other times, I am sure.  I just happened to drive past as she was exiting her car from coming home from work.  I definitely would not mind chatting her up.

15 hours ago, Rocky Romero said:

I'm one of the last on earth to see the movie, Back to the Future, last night.

The skateboard scene where the hooligans end up with manure dumped in their car is skillful.

You reminded me of that.

So binge watched Back to the Future movie series.

How did I miss this before?

Now I'll have to buy a real off the ground Hover Board.

Updated to current times.  I know someone is somewhere developing this & not yet perfected.

One that also hovers over water.  Without falling.

4 hours ago, Catlord17 said:

That's been developed for years now.  Look it up on YouTube.

Yes, I'm late to the transporter party.

As are so many in the US.  Now, I'm riding the MiniPro to places I've seldom been.

It still seems that people are preferring bicycles over other transporters in Chicago.

On 8/27/2017 at 4:19 AM, Rocky Romero said:

Now I'll have to buy a real off the ground Hover Board.

You mean the Flyboard Air ?

Currently there are only 2 pieces made as far as I know, they are not for selling, and still need an experienced rider like Frankie Zapata.

Even he tried it until now only over water, but he made it at least into the Guiness book of records:

13 minutes ago, HermanTheGerman said:

You mean the Flyboard Air ?

At the moment there were only 2 pieces made as far as I know, they are not for selling, and still need an experienced rider like Frankie Zapata.

Even he tried it until now only over water, but he made it at least into the Guiness book of records:

I didn't know what I meant until you showed this video clip.

Now I know.  Yes, this is the future in the present. 

So, I may still one day ride one of these! 

Sign me up.

BTW, A lot of people (including my work bud'z) keep referring to my wheel as a 'One-Wheel'.
(This is 'technically' correct - a unicycle does indeed have 'ONE' wheel.)

However, as many of you know, the Onewheel is a fat-[uni]wheel/board hybrid that has more in common with a Solowheel Iota than a 'traditional' euc.

Onewheel.jpg.7245195e8db706c262b2eef53e1300fc.jpg THE Onewheel [+] (You ride it like a skateboard.)

iota.jpeg.1a47606e203b33775b3713f43db41764.jpeg Solowheel Iota  (Note: Technically not a 'SOLO' wheel)

Americans only understand brand-names such as Segway, Hoverboard (and possibly Onewheel or Solowheel); but they don't yet understand euc's so they say: "Oh, that's like a [brand]" and then you have to explain...

- If you agree it's 'like a Hoverboard' (and leave it at that) people assume it's a toy for teenagers (and you're trying to recapture your youth).

- However, if you say it's 'like a Segway' then there are bound to be followup questions (such as):

• Where do you keep the handlebars?
  • Where is the 'other' wheel?
  • Where do you stand (or sit)?
  • No shit, (seriously?) - you actually stand up straight and don't do anything with your arms & hands?
  • Nooo! Really?
  • But then... how do you speed-up/slow-down/stop and turn?
  • Etc. (You get the point...)

I often find myself giving an 'evolution of the self-balancing, personal electric vehicle' lecture (in layman's terms):

"The Segway was too big and and expensive, so they down-sized/economized and got rid of the handlebars (aka Hoverboard). Then 'they' thought: let's sell these to grown-ups by making a commuter, 'work-friendly' version and shape it like a briefcase...:w00t2: and once the drugs/high wore off, they realized they were selling euc's!" :facepalm:

workaholics.jpg.59b9226b0b225e3b82feb98d0f767b14.jpg

On 25/08/2017 at 1:51 AM, ir_fuel said:

Nobody realises this is not a toy. 

Same here. Doing any sort of EUC advocacy is usually limited to listing some features people want to hear. Beyond the initial amazement, getting people to realise that it solves most of our transportation problems (which in turn lies at the heart of why most urbanisations are not designed around habitation, but around trucks and cars) is an uphill task.

1 hour ago, Tech Nossomy said:

Same here. Doing any sort of EUC advocacy is usually limited to listing some features people want to hear. Beyond the initial amazement, getting people to realise that it solves most of our transportation problems (which in turn lies at the heart of why most urbanisations are not designed around habitation, but around trucks and cars) is an uphill task.

Most cities may be expecting that bicycles, Buses/trains, Uber, and automated vehicles is the future transportation.

EUC may solve the first/last mile transportation.

5 hours ago, Rocky Romero said:

Most cities may be expecting that bicycles, Buses/trains, Uber, and automated vehicles is the future transportation.

EUC may solve the first/last mile transportation.

As long as they make arrangements for bicycles, euc should be fine too. And you'll be faster :) 

21 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

As long as they make arrangements for bicycles, euc should be fine too. And you'll be faster :) 

It's an interesting thought that people's perceptions of wearing a helmet, for any device, creates anxiety in people.

I wear a helmet with my MiniPro, mostly riding on sidewalks, and have never felt apprehensions.  Without a helmet, I would hesitate.

Archived