Shipping a wheel from Continental USA to Berlin?

LanghamP

Not 100% but your probably looking at $300-$500 dollars seeing as how its going to be a large package and weight between 40-60 lbs.  Also because it has lithium batteries its classified as hazmat.

It cost me $50 ($70 for the Monster) to ship my ACM from England (Speedyfeet) to California. But the dealers such as Speedyfeet and EWheels have great discounts with the shipping companies. When I looked at the cost to ship my MSuper from California to New York, it was ~$90. I bet it would cost triple (at least) that amount to ship overseas.

Just go to a shipper's website and punch in the numbers. You'll get a price instantly.

5 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Does anyone have an idea of the cost, time, and hazard? Small 14-16 inch wheel, just to get around Berlin.

Hi @LanghamP! As much as I hate it, I have to confirm @meepmeepmayer: I cannot recommend you riding EUC in the Berlin city center. While a legal expertise suggests, there is no law in place to prevent you from doing so, German police tends to interpret the law in the most restrictive way and you may face all sorts of harassment. And you may not find battling that out with German authorities a very rewarding experience. When it comes to bureaucracy, they likely beat you with experience... :furious:

For getting from A to B in the city, I suggest public subways ("U Bahn") and local trains ("S Bahn"), eBike (legal!), Scooters (like, the big ones). You'll find plenty of rental offerings for both.

Hazzle-free EUC riding in Berlin is possible at "Tempelhofer Feld" (sometimes referred to as "Tempelhofer Freiheit"), a huge former airport inside the city now turned to a public playground where EUC riding is tolerated. Also legal: riding with the "Skate by Night" events: Police locks down traffic and makes room for some 2000+ folks on inline skaters, skateboards and EUCs riding through downtown. See http://berlin.skatebynight.de/. Only 2 more such events in 2017: Aug 27 and Sep 17.

Lastly, there is a pretty active group of EUC enthusiasts in Berlin, organizing group rides pretty much every weekend in the outskirts of the city, for example along the "Mauerweg", which is the now cleared strip of the infamous Berlin Wall all around town. Those are fairly secluded ways through fields and forrest and we never experienced trouble riding there (although there is obviously no guarantee for that). These folks are organized in a WhatsApp group. If you want me to hook you up with them, PM your mobile number please.

Unfortunately, I don't live in Berlin anymore, so I can't help out with a loaner wheel. If you want to rent one locally, I can suggest to contact Alex Segmüller at ewheelmotion.de (that guy: 

BTW filmed at the runup to a Skate by Night event), or Ferenc at electro-sport.de (that guy: 

He lives in a suburb to Berlin: Eichwalde). You will also find an EUC shop in town: https://scooterhelden.de/.

Wish you a great and trouble free stay in Berlin! I really enjoyed my time there.

I spent a month in Berlin last year, and also Leipzig, also for nearly a month. Same time. I just think how convinient it would be to get around with an EUC. Those two German cities were designed, by God in the 14th century, specifically for EUC use, we just had to invent them.

1 minute ago, LanghamP said:

I spent a month in Berlin last year, and also Leipzig, also for nearly a month. Same time. I just think how convinient it would be to get around with an EUC. Those two German cities were designed, by God in the 14th century, specifically for EUC use, we just had to invent them.

Sigh, tell me about it ... :crying:

Archived