squirrels, rabbits and small animals

buffs

So far I have been able to avoid running over everything but one toad I did not see until it was too late.  It was not a pleasant auditory experience.

Last night, I was riding at around 2 am, and startled a pair of rabbits.  They ran like crazy, and almost ran under my wheel.  Fortunately, they did not.  

Mostly I have to avoid frogs and toads in my city.  And children.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Catlord17 said:

Mostly I have to avoid frogs and toads in my city.  And children.

No frogs or toads here. Children, yes. Wayward people, yes.  Aggressive dogs, not much.

So I now have a discreet baton strapped to my MiniPro.

My wife now has a flashlight that doubles as a dog repellant in her water case.

We should be prepared, somewhat.

On 8/23/2017 at 6:17 PM, steve454 said:

I think dogs are pretty smart, riding near dogs some of them look at me like WTF, some of them don't seem to care, and some of them don't like the wheel and start barking.  I try to not startle them, depending on the size of the dog, some could be dangerous, some could be annoying.  It's the big mean looking ones that I make an effort not to annoy.  I've noticed that when encountering a person walking a dog, that if I slow down politely and say something like, "what a good looking dog that is" , both the owner and the dog feel good.  It's good relations, the dog can sense that the owner is proud, and so both are happy.

I remembered what you said here.

I encountered a dog, tethered to a woman, and the dog started barking uncontrollably.

As I rode away, I heard myself say, "Nice dog".  Shouting louder the further I went.

Didn't work.

I probably have to work more on this technique.

Now, I'm eager to get another chance.

1 hour ago, Rocky Romero said:

As I rode away, I heard myself say, "Nice dog".  Shouting louder the further I went.

Dogs sense when people are nervous and also just get excited/scared by loud noise and shouting. If you watch shows like Dog Whisperer he specifically says that people should not be tense or yell at the dog to control it, that just excites the dog more. What you say is not as important as the tone of voice you say it in. Many owners don't know this and make things worse by shouting or yanking on the leash. That said, all the dog owners in my area seem to watch Dog Whisperer and know how to control their dogs by being calm and assertive. I've run into maybe one or two yappy small dogs and that's it.

3 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

Dogs sense when people are nervous and also just get excited/scared by loud noise and shouting. If you watch shows like Dog Whisperer he specifically says that people should not be tense or yell at the dog to control it, that just excites the dog more. What you say is not as important as the tone of voice you say it in. Many owners don't know this and make things worse by shouting or yanking on the leash. That said, all the dog owners in my area seem to watch Dog Whisperer and know how to control their dogs by being calm and assertive. I've run into maybe one or two yappy small dogs and that's it.

So dogs are not usually hard of hearing?

On 8/24/2017 at 0:32 PM, kasenutty said:

I have much more problems with dogs when I ride Minipro compared to EUC. I don't know exactly why, but they hate the Minipro 92% more. My theory is that it looks more like a vacuum cleaner than a guy on an EUC. 

Okay.

I now have two different batons, one is concealed in my MiniPro.

Have the flashlight that deters dogs with some sound thing.

I've watched videos on self defense - none with dogs in them.

I do the dog whisper, "Nice dog there" or something similar.

Slow down, of course.

Nothing.

No attacks, not even close.  Except once, and it was far away.

Then, I remembered that I'm in a big city, ride in the tourist areas.  Dogs in this area have their aggressiveness bread out of them, and probably flush when at home.

I think I over did it.

On 9/6/2017 at 8:06 PM, Rocky Romero said:

Okay.

Slow down, of course.

Nothing.

Then, I remembered that I'm in a big city, ride in the tourist areas.  Dogs in this area have their aggressiveness bread out of them, and probably flush when at home.

I think I over did it.

I think I found a better deterrent to unwanted animals or people.

Lately, I have been self training in Cane martial arts.  As you know, a cane is a medical device and is allowed all over the world, including planes.

Further, I have found that umbrella canes are both practical and useful from the weather and for defense.

I can easily carry the cane with me on the MiniPro, either on my hand or over my shoulder.

In an elements changing climate like Chicago, this may be useful.

I'll see.

I find there are dogs that care, and dogs that don't, and generally speaking, the smaller they are, the more problem they are if not on a lead.

Wild animals are usually much quicker to hear you coming and move early, but occasionally they don't hear you coming, and get out of the way with barely a second to spare.

Pigeons are sometimes quite brave and leave it very late to move, and I have had cats who assume they are too important to have to move at all, and that you will stop or go round them. Maximum cat-lover as I am, I agree with them, but I do try and tell them about the flaws inherent of going to sleep on a cycle path.

But self-important / sleeping cats aside, if you have a finger bell and give it some ringing action as you go round tight corners you give all nature ample warning you are coming, and corresponding time to get out of your way with minimal problems...

On 9/6/2017 at 8:06 PM, Rocky Romero said:

Okay.

Slow down, of course.

Nothing.

I think I over did it.

Dogs are something to be careful of.  Some dogs are overprotective of their owner.  Those are the ones that could be dangerous.  Today I was about to cross a foot bridge on the walking trail at the park.  A man had three dogs on leash coming towards me.  I stopped and started riding backwards about 75 feet and stopped, letting the dog walker continue across the bridge without having to control 3 strong dogs.  I gave them the right of way.  He thanked me.  The dogs barked at me angrily like it was their world and they didn't want me in it.  The best defense in case of attack I would have kicked them.  But most dogs I see are calm, and I always praise the owner by saying, "that's a good looking dog" as I ride by at walking speed.

But the baton idea seems pretty smart.  Hmmm.  I think I will get one that I can carry in my pocket but can reach it quickly.:thumbup:

On 9/13/2017 at 11:38 PM, kasenutty said:

Umbrellas are medical devices?

Not quite, unless..

I did find a Harvy cane that conceals an umbrella inside.

https://primemedicalmall.com/product/harvy-canes-crook-handle-cane-w-umbrella-inside-walking-cane-36-bronzewalnut/

I ordered a transparent umbrella for testing and cane martial arts practice, before I order this.

When I have a mastery level, I'll produce a video of a kata (choreographed exercises) with a cane umbrella on the MiniPro.

Self defense legally from varmints and elements while cruising.

tonight on my way home i ran over a rat lying prone in the middle of the bicycle lane! i was going about 15-17mph and saw it when it was like, 5 feet in front of me... it hardly registered under my msuper...

haha, yeah, you can check dead rats off the list of crash-causing obstacles! nah, i didn't go back, but i kept an eye out on my bus this morning, which goes along the same road - the rat was still there! i'll be riding back this evening; i will take a picture if it hasn't been removed/eaten/etc... poor guy

11 hours ago, kour said:

tonight on my way home i ran over a rat lying prone in the middle of the bicycle lane! i was going about 15-17mph and saw it when it was like, 5 feet in front of me... it hardly registered under my msuper...

that's what i wanted to hear... that the wheel and rider can can survive small squishy obstacles, even if the unfortunate animal cannot. it seems strange that the rat was just sitting in the bike path - maybe it was already dead? the other thing i learned from all the feedback here is that it is actually very rare to make contact with a small animal. dogs are another matter, as they are sometimes interested in chasing the wheel, whereas squirrels, rabbits and the like would rather run away. thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences. i'm not going to worry (as much) about small animals crossing my path.

Archived