squirrels, rabbits and small animals

buffs

Dogs are somewhat predictable since there are basically two options:

1. Canine bound by leash or...
  2. Cujo is coming for you!

Funny-Mean-Dog_net.jpg.2938dba7a1a1e5605ae8f4c17e7c0159.jpg

(Just don't expect small dogs to scare easy -- they can be vicious!)

evil-kid-with-devil-horns.jpg.c815a3f6530b499d610d6164cc4d2a52.jpg

Of course, the human animal is the least predictable (i.e. kidz).

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

That reminds me of a woman jogger with three pit bulls who joined our group. I mean, she sorta ran with them, they were pulling her along, lunging at passerbys, and going for us somewhat randomly. It was bizzare and dangerous. How dangerous I don't know but my gut feeling told me we we were lucky nobody got mauled.

She called them, "her puppies". We believed her until they showed up.

Dogs are, by far, the biggest danger when it comes to animals.

I had a leashed dog barking at me this morning and I'm remembering this discussion.

Somehow, I wasn't annoyed and just "shushed" the dog.

Moved on..

A cursory search for "pit bull loose" on YouTube shows a lot of results so I'm not the only person to have bad run ins with them.

Pit bulls (and some other larger dogs) are dangerous; you can ignore them but they won't ignore you. People get them because they are dangerous not in spite of them. Then they train pit bulls to be even more dangerous. I can see the reasoning; if you injure someone by yourself you are looking at jail time but if your dog does it for you then your punishment is minimal. In fact the person who you attacked with your dog might end up paying you if he injures or kills your dog.

3 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

The problem is not the pit bull. The problem is it seems to attract a certain kind of owner... 

Just when I'm planning a Darth Vader costume for Halloween, now I have to watch out for pit bulls?

I'm carrying a real laser beam thingy.

Or umbrella.

I think there is some merrit to the idea that different wheels piss dogs off in different ways. On my way into and from work I pass maybe a dozen or more dogs in each direction. Only one small ankle biter with "big dog" syndrome has ever looked at me twice. All the other just keep on walking and barely give me a second glance. These are dogs of all breeds and sizes. The V8 is known to be a quiet wheel with just a subtle nice electric hum to it. I understand King Songs have several high pitch frequencies all the time. Maybe this is the difference between a happy pup and one that wants to take a chunk out your backside for hurting his ears.

33 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

Nope, kingsongs not especially bad for dogs. They hate Minipro much more. 

My closest call was when I was jogging with others and a pit bull lunged at a guy next to me and chomped down on his crotch. F***ing A!

We weren't on EUCs...

1 hour ago, WARPed1701D said:

The V8 is known to be a quiet wheel with just a subtle nice electric hum to it. I understand King Songs have several high pitch frequencies all the time. Maybe this is the difference between a happy pup and one that wants to take a chunk out your backside for hurting his ears.

I've certainly noticed that dogs react somewhat unpredictably to the EUC, so I always ride by at walking speed. However I think @WARPed1701D has hit on the likely reason, dogs can hear much higher frequencies than us and I think some might be very irritating to them. 

I know that my KingSong makes absolutely no sound whatsoever (to me) but I've noticed that children and teenagers with their backs to me will turn and see me coming, older people do not react at all until I pass them so it must have quite a high pitched sound.

I understood the 16S in particular had two specific frequencies that are almost constant. I'm sure it was mentioned here before. I've even heard it in YouTube videos about the wheel the second they are turned on (stationary). No idea about GotWay wheels. The V8 (the only wheel I've ever been near) is pretty much silent when stationary and just (to my 39 year old ears) has a motor hum when moving. My dog doesn't appear to care less about it nor any others I've passed.

People lose parts of their hearing as they get older because they're exposed to loud noises. Install a decibel meter on your smartphone and walk around an urban area. You'd be surprised how loud the world is. I often wear earplugs while jogging, bicycling, or riding my EUC as the world is that loud.

Both my MSuper and my KS16s are, to me, quite loud, while my KS14c is less loud, and my V5F+ can only be heard indoors. I'd guess loudness is proportional to the power of the motor.

Interestingly, on roads where the cars are going about 40 mph, I cannot hear music from my KS16S even when turned up to full volume. That gives you an idea of the (non earplug) abuse we give our ears.

3 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

I understood the 16S in particular had two specific frequencies that are almost constant. I'm sure it was mentioned here before. I've even heard it in YouTube videos about the wheel the second they are turned on (stationary). No idea about GotWay wheels. The V8 (the only wheel I've ever been near) is pretty much silent when stationary and just (to my 39 year old ears) has a motor hum when moving. My dog doesn't appear to care less about it nor any others I've passed.

I've heard that sound in videos of Gotways, to me they sound similar to Kingsong.  It's been said to be because they are high powered wheels and the firmware is similar.

On 8/23/2017 at 2:26 PM, Jonathan Tolhurst said:

Anyone else tried to catch pigeons on an EUC - have a go - for some reason it's easy - Dick Dastardly and Muttley should have been riding EUCs! :D 

Please note that no pigeons were harmed in reaching this conclusion :)

Pigeons are jerks! They don't move until the last second and when they do they fly straight into my face causing my to involuntarily flail my arms which is not advised on an EUC.

On 8/24/2017 at 1:28 PM, LanghamP said:

My closest call was when I was jogging with others and a pit bull lunged at a guy next to me and chomped down on his crotch. F***ing A!

We weren't on EUCs...

How do pit bulls know to chomp on the crotch?

I may never know.

My concealable baton arrived & I now understand that aggressive dogs lurk somewhere on my rides.

I will have it with me, in addition to my steel water bottle for protection.

That may do it.

8 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Tai Yuen Dai Pai Dong (roasted pigeon according to Google images):  Mmmm mmm crispy!  :dribble:

12988955593_aeac78345b_b.jpg

Pit Bull Counter Measures (don't leave home without it):

maxresdefault.jpg

After looking at google images awhile ago, I kept thinking... those are some large, tasty looking birds.

:huh:  I was just kidding, but hey I'm gonna roll with it :efef927839: on one wheel.  If I can save even one fellow man's tenders, it will be well worth it.  :innocent1:  Dog's gonna bust a tooth on that baby!  :w00t2:

Maybe even bump it up to a Level 2 pit-bull defense strategy.  :whistling:

il_340x270.515883398_d05i.jpg

Like putty in my hands...

On 8/23/2017 at 0:04 AM, CaptainKBLS said:

Dogs go nuts when they see the wheel.

I've seen a small percentage of dogs that bark and run maybe the first five times, then after a while they barely look up, as if to say, "I've already seen this." On the other hand, there are dogs I have been riding past for a year and a half, and they are just as excited as the first time!

On 8/23/2017 at 8:21 AM, Hansolo said:

boars

Ha, that was a good one! They are abundant in that forest! Fortunately they are timid, running away as you approach! That surprised me, because I always supposed boars are aggressive.

Archived