squirrels, rabbits and small animals

buffs

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Gimlet said:

I know from my motorcycling days that cats are bad news. I was ridingwith a friend when a cat ran across my path and literallly caught my friends front wheel. It grabbed the wheel with its claws and got jammed under the front mudguard. Obviously my friend ended up sprawled across the road and the cat never survived the encounter.

Not an encounter you would wish to have by any means. So my recommendation is to avoid wild life if at all possible!

In my motorcycling days in Hong Kong we had two major hazards -- Snakes and wild cows.  Pythons, bamboo snakes and cobras would like to slither across roads because they were warm at night, and presented a pretty big slippery speedbump.  HK's wild cows were horned and very short, maybe about four & one half feet tall, and they would stand in groups close to the road, or even in the middle of the road.  At dusk you couldn't make them out from the background until you were right on top of them.  I always thought this would be one of the most embarrassing ways to be injured, by driving into a cow.

Aggressive dogs are evidently a serious problem. Half of those injured are children, and put bulls are overrepresented. Coincidentally all the close calls I've had including as a jogger were all pit bulls. More tellingly they were all owned by women; I suspect women buy these as self-defense. The purpose of these dogs is to attack threats; from the owner's viewpoint not attacking you is the problem.

https://journalistsresource.org/studies/government/municipal/dog-bites-attacks-research-review

40 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Aggressive dogs are evidently a serious problem. Half of those injured are children, and put bulls are overrepresented. Coincidentally all the close calls I've had including as a jogger were all pit bulls. More tellingly they were all owned by women; I suspect women buy these as self-defense. The purpose of these dogs is to attack threats; from the owner's viewpoint not attacking you is the problem.

https://journalistsresource.org/studies/government/municipal/dog-bites-attacks-research-review

Yes, aggressive dogs would be a problem.

I encountered barking dogs as a runner and never have been attacked by animals.

It's possible that defending others may occur in the future, especially when riding more frequently.

Wearing a helmet and gloves gives some protection and carrying a baton would provide added protection against aggressive dogs.

It's a small risk that we take.

14 minutes ago, Rocky Romero said:

I've been chased by angry geese as a runner.

Was probably mating season.

I was surrounded by geese so I'm glad they were friendly. :) Watching their cadence as they slowly walked in front of me leads me to reflect on slowing down myself and begin smelling the roses. We live such fast paced lives these days.

34 minutes ago, dpong said:

To dissuade aggressive dogs, I have on 2 occasions successfully deployed the following solution, that can be found on Amazon.com:

"Dog Dazer II Ultrasonic Dog Deterrent"

Great idea.

I bought one that doubles as a flashlight.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultrasonic-Aggressive-Repeller-Flashlight-Handheld/dp/B071H6MJHN/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1503510798&sr=8-9&keywords=Ultrasonic+Dog+DeterrenT

1 minute ago, Rocky Romero said:

Mine worked for me, but you have to wait until the dog gets quite close to you.  It is basically to startle the dog at the last minute.  If he hears it from far away it will not have its intended effect.  Up close, it is loud and unexpected. 

2 hours ago, dmethvin said:

Imagine riding your EUC on this road in Cuba.

Imagine falling off your EUC on this road in Cuba!

Considering how voraciously these crabs are devouring their flattened brethren I think you'd be in trouble! Like a scene from Piranha...only on land.

I also often ride at night, and have seen countless rabbits, several deer, and a few foxes. Deer won't let me come near, and while rabbits are unpredictable, they can still outrun me at 35km/h. Rabbit babies on the other hand might be an issue, although so far they have been more predictable than adults.

What is a big problem are dogs, I've had two really close calls. Dogs react to an EUC very differently than to a bicycle, and even if I ring a bell coming from behind, the dog owner thinks it's just a bicycle coming. The attacking dog surprises the owner as well, so the leash is not tight enough.

I had a long conversation with a dog owner, and was told that the issue is in the gliding. A dog doesn't comprehend when a person moves without doing anything, and tries to save the person from the threat (EUC). Bicycles are familiar, but skateboards and roller blades are a threat as well. I took on a habbit to pass dogs very slowly, but now I think dogs react less often if I pass them faster, like proper bicycle speeds.

Anyway, a bell or a horn is a must just for the dogs. Ring it early enough and the dog owner has ample time to handle the situation.

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

I had a long conversation with a dog owner, and was told that the issue is in the gliding. A dog doesn't comprehend when a person moves without doing anything, and tries to save the person from the threat (EUC). Bicycles are familiar, but skateboards and roller blades are a threat as well. I took on a habbit to pass dogs very slowly, but now I think dogs react less often if I pass them faster, like proper bicycle speeds.

I think dogs are pretty smart, riding near dogs some of them look at me like WTF, some of them don't seem to care, and some of them don't like the wheel and start barking.  I try to not startle them, depending on the size of the dog, some could be dangerous, some could be annoying.  It's the big mean looking ones that I make an effort not to annoy.  I've noticed that when encountering a person walking a dog, that if I slow down politely and say something like, "what a good looking dog that is" , both the owner and the dog feel good.  It's good relations, the dog can sense that the owner is proud, and so both are happy.

The guy walking two pit bulls who is being pulled along by them, I tend to turn around and go back the other way.

6 hours ago, dpong said:

Mine worked for me, but you have to wait until the dog gets quite close to you.  It is basically to startle the dog at the last minute.  If he hears it from far away it will not have its intended effect.  Up close, it is loud and unexpected. 

So if I turn the sound on and hold it constantly, would that alleviate any animal threats?

Since people can't hear it, it seems that I'm within my politeness zone.

Pets, people, and other creatures are all collision hazards that cannot be trusted!

Dogs will chase you or try and bite you!
walking-dog-leash.jpg.6553b4fc6c0cfa359d56e18b4138b313.jpg

Geese are protected and oddly indifferent to your presence.

geese_crossing.jpg.0320cddfe8c1148a9418ff5313a7027a.jpg

People walking/jogging are clueless, so make some noise!

walkway.jpg.e89f7030ed442b63493fe2cfa43987a6.jpg

Take special care when passing strollers...

strollerwalk1.jpg.3cdc3f9a75f011e248ff5fdfb3dda11b.jpg

Don't worry about squirrels, they're easily terrified and will run away.

fox-squirrel.jpg.ac06a30bf0413b03386172eb8f6da4b6.jpg

But most of all, be wary of kidz!!!

kids-run.jpg.9a97407ef64160e6c792f741bdc53d21.jpg

Kids are crazy and utterly unpredictable. They may think your cool, but watch-out! They'll look you in the eye and zig-zag through your path. I don't know what they're thinking, but I'm sure they have evil in their souls. (Damn kidz!) :furious:

7 hours ago, RayRay said:

Pets, people, and other creatures are all collision hazards that cannot be trusted!

walkway.jpg.e89f7030ed442b63493fe2cfa43987a6.jpg

I trust people to be unpredictable.

Mostly, we can continue to trust our own skills and good intentions.

This reminds me to set good intentions every time that I ride.

14 hours ago, steve454 said:

The guy walking two pit bulls who is being pulled along by them, I tend to turn around and go back the other way.

That reminds me of a woman jogger with three pit bulls who joined our group. I mean, she sorta ran with them, they were pulling her along, lunging at passerbys, and going for us somewhat randomly. It was bizzare and dangerous. How dangerous I don't know but my gut feeling told me we we were lucky nobody got mauled.

She called them, "her puppies". We believed her until they showed up.

Dogs are, by far, the biggest danger when it comes to animals.

Archived