Issues after replacing controllerboard

Luddiluddludde

Greetings all, I am struggling with my hoverboard. It died on me, and I purchased a new kit with controller(main) board and all the other boards. Got it up and running, but something is off... It moves the opposite way. When I lean forward, it goes backwards and when I lean backwards it goes forward. Would it be as simple as switching the wires that goes to the motors? I guess the new kit had different colorcoding, but there are three wires to each motor. guessing one is ground and the two others are forward motion and backward motion...

This is a noname balance board, bought off ebay I think (I got it from work when it died).

Am I on to something?

On 22/08/2017 at 7:27 PM, Luddiluddludde said:

guessing one is ground and the two others are forward motion and backward motion...

The Hoverboard section is, unfortunately, poorly supported compared with the Electric Unicycle (EUC) section, and strangely the users do not seem to be as keen to help each other - which is a pity.

i am also an EUC user, so will not know the ins and outs of your device, but I can make some assumptions that may help you. 

Firstly, I like your guess about the wires, almost certainly completely wrong, but a good guess ?. I would expect your motors to be brushless direct current (BLDC) motors, to all intents a form of 3-phase motor which is why it has 3 wires. Providing, and only providing, you do not also have another set of thinner wires going to the motors which would go to Hall effect transistors (motor position sensors) then swapping any two of the three wires will reverse the motor. If there is Hall effect transistors this might not work but it might be worth trying. Do not power the board up with only two wires connected it might burn out the motor, if swapping the wires stops the motor running at all switch it off immediately and put them back.

The other possibility is the sensors for foot position work in the opposite sense to the original ones or are having their effect reversed by the new board, possibly they could be turned through 180 degrees?

Failing this, or preferably even before doing this, take a look at the below - this guy seems to be the one helpful hoverboard guy on the forum

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/08/2017 at 7:27 PM, Luddiluddludde said:

Greetings all, I am struggling with my hoverboard. It died on me, and I purchased a new kit with controller(main) board and all the other boards. Got it up and running, but something is off... It moves the opposite way. When I lean forward, it goes backwards and when I lean backwards it goes forward. Would it be as simple as switching the wires that goes to the motors? I guess the new kit had different colorcoding, but there are three wires to each motor. guessing one is ground and the two others are forward motion and backward motion...

This is a noname balance board, bought off ebay I think (I got it from work when it died).

Am I on to something?

Hi @Luddiluddludde,

Developing on from Keith, It may just need a simple re-set/recalibration which can be easily done as part of the functionality in the board.

If the 3 wires are inserted together incorrectly, the likelihood of it moving frontwards and backwards smoothly is very low. If it was indeed the case then you'll likely experience extreme juddering. Give the reset/recalibration technique a shot and see how it goes. It could be as simple as that!

Reset instructions:

1. Make sure the Hoverboard is turned off and the device is level

2. Press and keep your finger on the power button for approx. 6 seconds. You will notice the front LED lights start flashing

3. Take your finger off the power button and let the lights flash for a few more seconds, while keeping the board level.

4. Press the power button again to turn the device off, and then switch it back on. All should be working fine now!

Let us now how you get on.

Best Wishes,
Moss

Archived