Professional 'Getting Started' Learning Video

Jason McNeil

I was already wondering when I saw this vid the first time whether the first method for turning is described correctly. It seems to me that turning works by bending the outside leg thereby leaning the wheel to the inside. Additionally, I found it helpful (from another teaching vid), that they said that balancing is accomplished by turning the wheel around it's vertical axis while turns are accomplished by turning the upper body and leaning the wheel to the side. 

Thats a cool vid! Here my thoughts for the updated version:

• I for myself also bend the outer leg so the straightened inner leg gets more weight and pushes the EUC into direction, then I just follow the turn by turning my upper body in the desired direction. Mind you this is at cruise speed, not when slow.
  • The other thing I do differently, I only really lean forward when start moving (because it looks cool boosting off this way, but there is also the risk of overleaning for beginners). When already moving, I only tiptoe slightly to accelerate or keep the speed uphill.
  • Those that I know who used a leash, used it not to keep the bot within reach after stepping off, but to stabilize the wheel between the legs while riding so it doesnt wobble from side to side.

Thanks for the suggestions: mixed thoughts about retaining the belt sequence. Aids like training wheel & belts create dependencies that are hard to through off. 

Good point about the slight forwards lean, first-timers are usually very conservative on the throttle & it's hard for them to make the physical connection between momentum & stability, which is what I was trying to achieve here. 

I would stress more how critical it is to look forward, not down at your wheel, when starting (in the animation she seems to look down when holding her friend's hand, and she even turns toward her friend when letting go of her hand). The old maxim "you go where you are looking at" applies here as well :). Looking in the right direction also helps with turns (because your body unconsciously reacts) 

I would stress more how critical it is to look forward, not down at your wheel, when starting (in the animation she seems to look down when holding her friend's hand, and she even turns toward her friend when letting go of her hand). The old maxim "you go where you are looking at" applies here as well :). Looking in the right direction also helps with turns (because your body unconsciously reacts)

This definitely is what helped me to finally make progress.  Head up, focus on something straight ahead, let your body figure out the rest.  EDIT: Try to "fall" towards the thing you're focusing on; trust the wheel to move forward to support you while you "fall" in that direction.

Archived