What is this and how do I fix it?

radial

I've had my IM V8 for a few months now.  Got it from @Jason McNeil at ewheels.com, and couldn't be happier with that transaction, by the way.  I dumped it a few times pretty hard when first learning to ride, and I think this problem developed as a consequence of those accidents.  

I could be wrong about this, but I speculate that on one of those occasions the wheel was subjected to forces that separated the two halves of the main body long enough for one of the seals to herniate.  So here's what it looks like.  

IMG_4406.thumb.jpeg.9d0f16182e4883075b95390681e3cb29.jpeg

You are looking at the wheel lying on its side with the handle pointing at you.  The yellow arrow points to what looks like a section of white foam/rubber seal that has poked its way outside.  I haven't disassembled my wheel so I don't know if it even has such a seal.  But that's what it looks like to me.  What do you think?  And what do you think I should do about it?

I could just razor it off, but that would seem to defeat the purpose of the seal.  I wouldn't necessarily care so much about that, but the breach is right at the top of the wheel where any moisture that gets in is going to dribble its way from top to bottom wreaking who knows what havoc.  I could disassemble the wheel and try to tuck it back in, but that looks pretty daunting to this not very mechanically inclined rider.  When I watch the disassembly videos, it looks separating that particular seam is practically the last thing you do.  Are there any shortcuts, or will I have to just suck it up and take the whole thing apart?  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, radial said:

I've had my IM V8 for a few months now.  Got it from @Jason McNeil at ewheels.com, and couldn't be happier with that transaction, by the way.  I dumped it a few times pretty hard when first learning to ride, and I think this problem developed as a consequence of those accidents.  

I could be wrong about this, but I speculate that on one of those occasions the wheel was subjected to forces that separated the two halves of the main body long enough for one of the seals to herniate.  So here's what it looks like.  

IMG_4406.thumb.jpeg.9d0f16182e4883075b95390681e3cb29.jpeg

You are looking at the wheel lying on its side with the handle pointing at you.  The yellow arrow points to what looks like a section of white foam/rubber seal that has poked its way outside.  I haven't disassembled my wheel so I don't know if it even has such a seal.  But that's what it looks like to me.  What do you think?  And what do you think I should do about it?

I could just razor it off, but that would seem to defeat the purpose of the seal.  I wouldn't necessarily care so much about that, but the breach is right at the top of the wheel where any moisture that gets in is going to dribble its way from top to bottom wreaking who knows what havoc.  I could disassemble the wheel and try to tuck it back in, but that looks pretty daunting to this not very mechanically inclined rider.  When I watch the disassembly videos, it looks separating that particular seam is practically the last thing you do.  Are there any shortcuts, or will I have to just suck it up and take the whole thing apart?  

You could send it in for repair, but $50 dollars each way plus labor might not be worth it.  It looks stretched, I don't think you could put it back.

Seems like you could just run a bead of silicone over that to get a seal where it's popped out. You might even be able to pull the entire seal out carefully and then replace it with silicone without opening up the case. (The seal will get a bit thinner when it's pulled, so it's just a question of whether the adhesive will let go or the seal will tear.)

• Upvote 1

That picture is exactly mine.  So you probably have it rolling several rounds.  My first fall was ok and the handle sorta came apart a bit.  The second time that rubber came out also and it looked exactly like yours.  I did the lazy thing which is to use electrical tape over it.

The rubber over the charger port also came off.  I couldn't shove it back in so I just use electrical tape over the port.

• Upvote 1

That white rubber/foam strip runs across the entire top half-circle of the V8 in it's own slotted groove to reinforce the shell's water resistance.

If it were me (having taken apart my former V8 multiple times), I would take the effort to split the shell to realign that piece and the shell in general.

If you go this route, though, note that the biggest pain in splitting and realigning/reassembling the V8 shell is to ensure the handle assembly, with it's springs and plastic piece, stays taut and in place.

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

That white rubber/foam strip runs across the entire top half-circle of the V8 in it's own slotted groove to reinforce the shell's water resistance.

If it were me (having taken apart my former V8 multiple times), I would take the effort to split the shell to realign that piece and the shell in general.

If you go this route, though, note that the biggest pain in splitting and realigning/reassembling the V8 shell is to ensure the handle assembly, with it's springs and plastic piece, stays taut and in place.

Thanks, I might get brave enough to do that.  I have the tools, it's just this irrational fear that I'll get the whole thing disassembled and never get it all back together again.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

You've seen the excellent V8 disassembly video by @Justina? That should give you a lot of confidence.

Oh yes, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching her work.  But she didn't carry out the kind of full disassembly that would be required to fix my problem.  I think I'll have to bite the bullet and tear my V8 all the way down to fix this problem.  Somehow I suspect my video will be less popular than Justina's.  

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, radial said:

Oh yes, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching her work.  But she didn't carry out the kind of full disassembly that would be required to fix my problem.  I think I'll have to bite the bullet and tear my V8 all the way down to fix this problem.  Somehow I suspect my video will be less popular than Justina's.  

:laughbounce2:

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2017 at 7:44 PM, CaptainKBLS said:

Thank you for the kind offer.  I may take your offer if I get desperate,

Depending on schedules and your location, I could probably help you with this.  But it didn't turn out to be all that difficult.  With a small Phillips screwdriver, a few metric hex keys, and Justina's video, you can do it solo.  I think you can skip the latch removel step at 3:11, but otherwise just follow her lead up to 4:30 when she begins to remove the LED strips.  At that point you'll be able to separate the two halves of the inner shell just enough to tuck the seal back inside.  Then just reverse the steps to reassemble and you'll be good.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CaptainKBLS said:

I'm still not going to tamper until the very end.  As long as it works, I'll keep it as is.

Sounds like you plan to patch the leak only after your boat have sunk already.

It's your choice of course, but if you are worried about fixing it yourself, perhaps you can find someone else to help?

• Upvote 1

On 9/3/2017 at 3:43 AM, chrio said:

Sounds like you plan to patch the leak only after your boat have sunk already.

It's your choice of course, but if you are worried about fixing it yourself, perhaps you can find someone else to help?

I don't go by this philosophy.  There's plenty of times where I take my car in for tune up and blah blah to prevent from serious breakdown. And usually, my car was doing great before it got operated and afterward I seem to have more problems than before.

For me I think the same thing here.  Opening and just to tuck the loose water seal in is just cosmetic in my opinion.  It's just not worth my time.

• Upvote 1

On 03/09/2017 at 1:22 AM, radial said:

@Justina your video was spot on.  I just followed your instructions, right up to the point where you began to pry the LED strips out of their grooves.  At that point, I was able to separate the two halves of the inner shell enough to tuck the seal back into its channel inside the wheel.  Everything went exactly as planned, except I had a bit of a struggle getting the battery out.  that thing is very snugly fit into the body of the V8.  But after a little fooling around, it popped out and the rest was easy. 

(...)

Thanks, @Justina!  I wouldn't have had the confidence to tackle this repair without your helpful instructions.

Great job! I'm happy I could help and I'm glad you did it!

• Upvote 2

• 9 months later...