Gotway MCM4 DIY battery pack question

bubu

Hello everyone! 

This is my first post since i joined in.
I got this MCM4 340 WH, as this was my first unicycle, I didn't want to toss that much money ordering higher capacity version, cause I was not sure if I would enjoy this new mean of transportation :D. After one week of using this thingy I noticed It gives me much fun, however I would like to upgrade battery pack with another 340 WH. Asked my seller about the price of 340WH pack, he told me it will be 250 $ + 120$ shipping cost (the batteries are claimed to be 2900mah panasonic ones), the cost of 370 usd for the battery pack for me is quite pricy TBH, and I was wondering if it would be worth me to do a DIY battery pack. I am familiar with soldering iron, and with really basic knowledge of electronics.

What is your opinion on 370 $ 340 WH battery pack, is it pricy or not? Do you know any trusted supplier, that offers whole battery packs for less money? Could you folks toss me some hints regarding DIY batt packs? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers

Edited by bubu

1 hour ago, bubu said:

Hello everyone! 

This is my first post since i joined in.
I got this MCM4 340 WH, as this was my first unicycle, I didn't want to toss that much money ordering higher capacity version, cause I was not sure if I would enjoy this new mean of transportation :D. After one week of using this thingy I noticed It gives me much fun, however I would like to upgrade battery pack with another 340 WH. Asked my seller about the price of 340WH pack, he told me it will be 250 $ + 120$ shipping cost (the batteries are claimed to be 2900mah panasonic ones), the cost of 370 usd for the battery pack for me is quite pricy TBH,

Welcome!

You find quite some topics regarding battery enhancements for the mcm4 here by googling for "mcm4 battery site:forum.electricunicycle.org"

The price should be about comparable to @1RadWerkstatt (1)- also i could not find specific shipping costs for poland on his site.
Imho you should find many comparable offers - the battery back from your seller is quite cheap but the shipping costs are very high!
Buying batteries is imho a matter of trust - one cannot easily check what one got for his money...

and I was wondering if it would be worth me to do a DIY battery pack. I am familiar with soldering iron, and with really basic knowledge of electronics.

Soldering is not really the best and most reliable way to make a DIY battery pack - by the heat of the soldering iron it's possible to destroy/"insult" the cells ... But there are cells with soldering tabs available.

Just was curious and googled and looked at:

So it seems to be possible - but i have no idea how reliable and safe this is?!

Normally they should be spot welded.

For a DIY battery pack you also have to look for a "nice" BMS - important is efficient cell balancing and not too low discharge current cutoff!

looking at the prices for LG MJ1 i found one with €5,9 and one with €8,99 per cell - with these you would get a 414Wh battery pack and so 32 cells would cost ~€190 or €285 - without shipping and without the BMS.

An advantage of professional made battery packs is (should be ;) ), that the cells used are (should be) "matched" so they have a longer life span and more performance - one a bit worse cell in a pack degrades the performance of the whole pack... 

What is your opinion on 370 $ 340 WH battery pack, is it pricy or not? Do you know any trusted supplier, that offers whole battery packs for less money? Could you folks toss me some hints regarding DIY batt packs? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers

I just could give you a short summary of what i read about this topic here - so many details are missing... So try the goolge search above (and with some variations maybe) - there were many detailed discussions about this topic here. And there should chime some members in, which made their own experience...

(1) I am not affiliated with @1RadWerkstatt - just regard him as a serious, knowledgeable and reliable source for batteries and EUC's...

Edited by Chriull
  • Upvote 2