Padawan seeking Unicycle Masters Advice

JD Scott

Weight: 215

Height: 6'3

In the last 3 years I have become entranced by Last Mile vehicles. The concept seems like the future of personal transportation which is a game changer in a place where everyone hates walking outside in any manner that isn't exercise or trying to get inside.

I have had several phases in this Last Mile Hysteria I've had. First electric longboards.

Bought a Metroboard Stealth for $1400. Fell off a Metroboard Stealth. Now Selling the Metroboard Stealth (or keeping it for friend riding). Should have known since last time I went snowboarding I separated my shoulder. Sounds like I'm not athletic but I've played sports my whole life. Boards just don't belong under me apparently.

Next was electric scooters. Seemed like a great balance between something portable, fast, and safe. Lots of research later I came to the conclusion that with my size I should look elsewhere. Also too expensive for the ones that I would actually purchase.

Afterwards was the Onewheel. Not quite like any other device out there but it opened up the avenue of offroading with these vehicles. Awesome revelation and makes for a far more versatile device. Too expensive.

Now here we are at the current final frontier in my passion. Electric unicycles. They are frankly far more advanced than I was expecting when I started looking at them.

4 Deciding Factors

1. I want something I can carry into places without a whole lot of hoopla just trying to find somewhere to put it.

2. Something manageable for city maneuvering (although I fully plan to use it recreationally and offroad at times)

3. Something that fits my size and weight effectively.

4. Price. Need to stay sub $900.

Every type of device has it's pros and cons especially for my size. Longboards suit my size but not my riding style. Electric scooters really seemed great but not suited for my size. The Onewheel became exactly what I was looking to try with the version 2 coming out this year. But it is a 2 month backorder from the company and the ones on Ebay are selling above retail of $1400. Also decided I was going to drop to a lower price range.

Frankly the only reason I started looking at EUC's (feeling cool getting the lingo like a boss) is because I saw a few in my searches for other things. Once I found out they can go offroad similar to a Onewheel and actually go faster I was hooked. A single wheel seems to have the torque and motor qualities to be effective for my size.

I have been doing a fair bit of gandering (not a word) and the other deciding factor are some deals available to me. 

Deal 1: ACM V2 67V 820wh w/78 miles $600

Deal 2: ACM V2 67V 680wh NEW $675

Deal 3: ACM V2 84V 1300wh NEW $900

Deal 4: MCM4 HS 520wh Few Months of Miles $500

Anyone care to rank the quality of those deals?

Also any advice on what I should be looking for due to my deciding factors?

This would also be my first wheel and I have never ridden one but I think the riding style is conducive to my physical ability.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@KingSong69 

How do I detect scams or verify wheels? Also does the 12 MOSFETS or the 84v vs 67v make more of a difference for my size? I've heard people state the 84v as better for heavier people.

28 minutes ago, JD Scott said:

@KingSong69 

How do I detect scams or verify wheels? Also does the 12 MOSFETS or the 84v vs 67v make more of a difference for my size? I've heard people state the 84v as better for heavier people.

The 84Volt Versions are in generell better and more powerfull! Has not much to do with size...

They are all 12 Mosfets on Gotways nowadays. How to detect scams? when it is to good to be true! The cheapest 84volt 1300wh Acm i know...is about 1400Dollar! For 900? please, i take two :-)

5 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

The 84Volt Versions are in generell better and more powerfull! Has not much to do with size...

They are all 12 Mosfets on Gotways nowadays. How to detect scams? when it is to good to be true! The cheapest 84volt 1300wh Acm i know...is about 1400Dollar! For 900? please, i take two :-)

Is there anywhere on the physical wheels that I can verify important parts? Like if you just found an EUC looking pristine in the middle of the desert is there away to verify that it has everything it's supposed to? I'm not even sure what the scams look like in the electric unicycle world. Swapped out parts? Wheels that just won't start? Shells being put on inferior EUC's?

And by size I suppose I mean my weight and all the overheating that people talk about. Without a physical wheel my concept of different parts of the wheel is hazy. I was thinking weight, riding distance, and speed were factoring into a lot of the mishaps people have had. 

8 minutes ago, JD Scott said:

Is there anywhere on the physical wheels that I can verify important parts? Like if you just found an EUC looking pristine in the middle of the desert is there away to verify that it has everything it's supposed to? I'm not even sure what the scams look like in the electric unicycle world. Swapped out parts? Wheels that just won't start? Shells being put on inferior EUC's?

And by size I suppose I mean my weight and all the overheating that people talk about. Without a physical wheel my concept of different parts of the wheel is hazy. I was thinking weight, riding distance, and speed were factoring into a lot of the mishaps people have had. 

Sorry, you got me wrong...

There are no "clones"....Acm is Acm....900bucks just sound like a money ripping of scam...no wheel at all ! 

900 bucks for a brandnew 1300wh AcM is just to cheap. When really new!

And stop to think about your weight...in january i was 105kg...all quality -powerfull- wheels like the Acm, msuper v3 or Ks16 or 18 will have no prob with you, overheating days are over!

1 hour ago, JD Scott said:

In the last 3 years I have become entranced by Last Mile vehicles. The concept seems like the future of personal transportation which is a game changer in a place where everyone hates walking outside in any manner that isn't exercise or trying to get inside.

I have had several phases in this Last Mile Hysteria I've had. First electric longboards.

Bought a Metroboard Stealth for $1400. Fell off a Metroboard Stealth. Now Selling the Metroboard Stealth (or keeping it for friend riding). Should have known since last time I went snowboarding I separated my shoulder. Sounds like I'm not athletic but I've played sports my whole life. Boards just don't belong under me apparently.

Next was electric scooters. Seemed like a great balance between something portable, fast, and safe. Lots of research later I came to the conclusion that with my size I should look elsewhere. Also too expensive for the ones that I would actually purchase.

Afterwards was the Onewheel. Not quite like any other device out there but it opened up the avenue of offroading with these vehicles. Awesome revelation and makes for a far more versatile device. Too expensive.

Now here we are at the current final frontier in my passion. Electric unicycles. They are frankly far more advanced than I was expecting when I started looking at them.

4 Deciding Factors

1. I want something I can carry into places without a whole lot of hoopla just trying to find somewhere to put it.

2. Something manageable for city maneuvering (although I fully plan to use it recreationally and offroad at times)

Every type of device has it's pros and cons especially for my size. Longboards suit my size but not my riding style. Electric scooters really seemed great but not suited for my size. The Onewheel became exactly what I was looking to try with the version 2 coming out this year. But it is a 2 month backorder from the company and the ones on Ebay are selling above retail of $1400. Also decided I was going to drop to a lower price range.

Frankly the only reason I started looking at EUC's (feeling cool getting the lingo like a boss) is because I saw a few in my searches for other things. Once I found out they can go offroad similar to a Onewheel and actually go faster I was hooked. A single wheel seems to have the torque and motor qualities to be effective for my size.

I have been doing a fair bit of gandering (not a word) and the other deciding factor are some deals available to me. 

This would also be my first wheel and I have never ridden one but I think the riding style is conducive to my physical ability.

Does it have to be Gotway?

If you could extend your budget by $200......the Kingsong 14s would be perfect. Enough power for your weight and meets your portability-factor priority. Plus Gotway aren't exactly the gold-standard in quality-control and software and/or hardware reliability.

Ewheels (Jason) have some coming end of the month I think.

1 hour ago, JD Scott said:

4 Deciding Factors

Number 3 without a doubt. But that price is not real unless it's from someone who is selling theirs and says they never rode it. But I would be suspicious unless I knew more of the background. In second place would be Number 1 because of the bigger battery. ~70 miles is nothing.

Hi!

• EUCs are far superior in maneuverability and actual serious usefulness to the Onewheel (and let's not start with the range difference). On road and offroad. You should not see them as a consolation prize, but the real deal.
  • For the commute/portability thing, how about a (maybe lighter) wheel with a retractable trolley handle? (aka Kingsong 14D/S or 16) ACM is quite bulky and no fun to carry/move but not ride. There's an (ugly) optional trolley attachment for it, though.
  • These prices are too good. Are those online offers? Some guy in a back alley?;)

1 hour ago, esaj said:

Taking a quick peek at Aliexpress, even there the 1300Wh ACM is about 1200€ (roughly $1400), something's fishy with the price (assuming they really are new)...

$1400 would be in the ball park for an ACM 1300.  I paid $1680 for the 1600 on Aliexpress in January. 

Map of segway dealers arizona  @JD Scott If you are near one of these dealers, you might ask if they have a Ninebot one E+ on hand that you could look at.  If not they can get you one.  I think they are down to about $800 nowadays.  I am 6'3" also, but only 205 pounds, the ninebot carries me fine.

2 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

There are no "clones"....Acm is Acm....900bucks just sound like a money ripping of scam...no wheel at all ! 

900 bucks for a brandnew 1300wh AcM is just to cheap. When really new!

Extremely low price! Did they ever make ACMs using 18 awg motor wires with twist connectors? ;)

2 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Extremely low price! Did they ever make ACMs with 18 awg motor wires and twist connectors? ;)

:roflmao:

22 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Extremely low price! Did they ever make ACMs using 18 awg motor wires with twist connectors? ;)

Gosh don't make me paranoid please. I bought it and talked him down to 850 for the 1300wh. He sold it to me on ebay so I always have the buyer guarantee policy there. He said he was discounting due to the upcoming Gotway Tesla coming out. So either I get it and it's amazing or it's not amazing and I get my money back. But I have had a lot of communication with the guy and he even recommended a less expensive one he was selling because it's top heavy for a first wheel. After I told him my size he said I should be able to swing it fine then. 

7 minutes ago, JD Scott said:

Gosh don't make me paranoid please. I bought it and talked him down to 850 for the 1300wh. He sold it to me on ebay so I always have the buyer guarantee policy there. He said he was discounting due to the upcoming Gotway Tesla coming out. So either I get it and it's amazing or it's not amazing and I get my money back. But I have had a lot of communication with the guy and he even recommended a less expensive one he was selling because it's top heavy for a first wheel. After I told him my size he said I should be able to swing it fine then. 

Unless it's a secret (can't imagine why it would be) could you post the EBay listing. I'm curious who's selling ACMs (even if it's just one) at those prices.

32 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Unless it's a secret (can't imagine why it would be) could you post the EBay listing. I'm curious who's selling ACMs (even if it's just one) at those prices.

Sure. 292218439577. Tell me what you think. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/simon9625/m.html?item=292218439577

You can search for the item number in the search bar on eBay just like any other descriptive term.  If it doesn't appear, you can go into the advanced search to find completed items.  From there you can find the seller and the other items for sale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gotway-ACM-1300Wh-84V-v2-30-mph-3000-Watts-peak-last-one-at-Sale-Price-/292218439577

Although the seller has 100% feedback, all of them appear to be for small ticket items from over a year ago.  It's a little suspicious that this seller would be selling more expensive items  all of a sudden, but it could very well be that they got into EUC sales or drop shipping?  I don't know if those prices are reasonable for V2 models, but I'd be cautious to watch delivery times and review eBay's buyer guarantee details.

EDIT:  Searching further, it might be legit as the seller has a gotwayamerica.com photo, and he is registered in Talihina, Oklahoma.  Pricing is also identical to the website.

https://www.gotwayamerica.com/contact

57 minutes ago, JD Scott said:

Sure. 292218439577. Tell me what you think. 

That's an amazing price for sure. And free shipping. Still seems too good to be true. Congrat's on you for finding that deal - I would have bought another ACM at that price. Hope it has the good firmware.

Strange that the seller said he's getting rid of the ACM's because of the new Tesla model. The Telsa is a complementary wheel to the ACM, not a replacement (at least I certainly hope so, because of its much more limited range).

48 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

You can search for the item number in the search bar on eBay just like any other descriptive term.  If it doesn't appear, you can go into the advanced search to find completed items.  From there you can find the seller and the other items for sale.

I:blink: I tried the first method, didn't know about advanced search.  Looks like a whole lot of Luffys in boxes.  Wonder if the listing was wrong, the price sounds about right for a Luffy.  Thanks @Hunka Hunka Burning Love!

Most of the other prices seem in line with everyone else, about $1400 for a good wheel.

31 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

That's an amazing price for sure. And free shipping. Still seems too good to be true. Congrat's on you for finding that deal - I would have bought another ACM at that price. Hope it has the good firmware.

Strange that the seller said he's getting rid of the ACM's because of the new Tesla model. The Telsa is a complementary wheel to the ACM, not a replacement (at least I certainly hope so, because of its much more limited range).

You could try offering $884.25 for this auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gotway-ACM-1300Wh-84V-v2-30-mph-3000-Watts-peak-/292218473004

What's the difference between the V2 and the V3/V3+ versions?

59 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

You could try offering $884.25 for this auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gotway-ACM-1300Wh-84V-v2-30-mph-3000-Watts-peak-/292218473004

What's the difference between the V2 and the V3/V3+ versions?

The other listing that kicked off this whole discussion was listed on EBay as a special 25% off the regular price of $1179. The Listing that you are referencing does not list 25% off, so I don't think I'd get anywhere by offering 25% off. But you never know I guess. But I just bought an Mten so my wheel budget for August is spent :(

There is no such thing as a V3 ACM.

V1 = 6 MOSFET version
V2 = 12 MOSFET version
V2s = 84v 1300wh version
V2s+ = 84v 1600wh version

Where did you see a V3/V3+ ACM?

Archived