Mud, dirt and sand

ir_fuel

I see some people ride these things off-road. How do they cope with mud, dirt and sand? I can imagine water isn't an issue, but once you (have to) drive through wet sand, mud or other dirt, don't the particles somehow make their way into the wheel? I know sand can really be a killer for moving parts, grinding and wearing them out prematurely.

Since I don't live in a country where it stays dries for months in a row this might be a problem when doing off-road trails.

24 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

I see some people ride these things off-road. How do they cope with mud, dirt and sand? I can imagine water isn't an issue, but once you (have to) drive through wet sand, mud or other dirt, don't the particles somehow make their way into the wheel? I know sand can really be a killer for moving parts, grinding and wearing them out prematurely.

Since I don't live in a country where it stays dries for months in a row this might be a problem when doing off-road trails.

The biggest Problem with sand and mud is not that it gets into the wheel...this can be cleaned or goes away on the next rain drive.

Driving in sand and mud Comes to a danger of your wheel getting stuck into it, and then aplying to much force and the mosfets get burned.

24 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

In general they cope very well. I've only seen a very light coating of dust/dirt inside some of my wheels after riding hundreds of miles. Generally the weakest spot for dirt entry is near the axle, and that's rather far from where all the action is (the tire).

I've ridden mine through dirt, mud, water, loose sand, and wet ocean sand. No problems.

1 minute ago, KingSong69 said:

The biggest Problem with sand and mud is not that it gets into the wheel...this can be cleaned or goes away on the next rain drive.

You can't clean the sand that gets into the moving parts of the euc. All the stuff that gets between the wheel and the inside of the casing, how will you clean that? And while driving it will find a way in the axle I guess.

5 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

You can't clean the sand that gets into the moving parts of the euc. All the stuff that gets between the wheel and the inside of the casing, how will you clean that? And while driving it will find a way in the axle I guess.

Have you open your wheel that far?

Our axle's on GW and KS are made maintenance free and i would say it's nearly impossible to get something into the bearing. Or into "the moving" parts....

I drove a lot on gravel bike paths when commuting to work and for what gets into the case by the wheel....Comes   out to 99% again. yes, sure, perhaps something stays inside the upper case above the wheel...but i never had probs with that.

3 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Have you open your wheel that far?

No :) 

Hence my questions about it. I know sand is killer for bearings. It's not because it is maintenance free under normal use that it supports dirt and grime. Except for the new Ninebot video I haven't seen many euc manufacturers promote their devices for off-roading. It's all city riding or paved roads. Hence my questions.

4 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

No :) 

Hence my questions about it. I know sand is killer for bearings. It's not because it is maintenance free under normal use that it supports dirt and grime. Except for the new Ninebot video I haven't seen many euc manufacturers promote their devices for off-roading. It's all city riding or paved roads. Hence my questions.

I cant speak for others...but beside some Little bit of dust getting into the case trough the pedalarm hole i never experienced Problems withi the axle/bearings and also did not hear of any since i am around here.

You should look some of @Marty Backe trail ride Videos....perhaps he can say a word to sand/mud, also?

Archived