Marty Backe

Tightening the Monster Axle Nuts

8 hours ago, Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" said:

It's the ultimate "master key".:D 

LOL!

So I received both socket and in case if anyone is in the same predictament; the first socket as well as the original one linked further up the thread does not fit the v3 case, the second one does. Going to put it in the mail and send it to Rehab1 tomorrow.

20190912_184318.jpg

1 minute ago, Hsiang said:

So I received both socket and in case if anyone is in the same predictament; the first socket as well as the original one linked further up the thread does not fit the v3 case, the second one does. Going to put it in the mail and send it to Rehab1 tomorrow.

20190912_184318.jpg

So glad you checked. :thumbup: Once received I should be able to turn it around in 1 day. 

Posted (edited)

Fun fact: 

It appears Gotway does use a red threadlocker to secure the nut to the axle on Monster V3, but it was either improperly applied or a cheap imitation that has no holding power. 

Had to clean it all off with alcohol and wipes, and reapply real loctite red to both sides. The right side of the axle was loose, left side was fine.

I’m waiting a full 24 hours for it to cure before I go out and put some miles on it, with the right socket and wrench it was an easy job to tackle, took maybe an hour, most of it taking the inner shell off. 

Edited by Ben Kim

9 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

Fun fact: 

It appears Gotway does use a red threadlocker to secure the nut to the axle on Monster V3, but it was either improperly applied or a cheap imitation that has no holding power. 

Had to clean it all off with alcohol and wipes, and reapply real loctite red to both sides. The right side of the axle was loose, left side was fine.

I’m waiting a full 24 hours for it to cure before I go out and put some miles on it, with the right socket and wrench it was an easy job to tackle, took maybe an hour, most of it taking the inner shell off. 

ProjectFarm on youtube did an (unsponsored) test of the strongest threadlockers and found that Permatex Red is **FAR** stronger than "Loctite"

This is my recommendation for getting the axle to stay, and gives me confidence in my suggestion, seeing as Gotway themselves use a threadlocker.

If it comes loose, that is my recommendation as it's only $6 and man that stuff is strong for my scooter handlebars