Tightening the Monster Axle Nuts

48 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

And I continue to get good use out of it :cheers: All Gotway wheels now use the 24mm axle nut.

It custom cutting a socket the only option? the open ended wrench even the offset version does not appears to fit thought the other opening in the case and would require the dissemblying of the whole wheel to get to the nut. I have been told that this isn't an uncommon problem, is everyone getting custom  socket made just for this purpose?

I did try asking at my neighborhood hardware store and they look at me like I am crazy..

Also is a loose axel sufficiently dangerous that I should stop riding the monster?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hsiang said:

It custom cutting a socket the only option? the open ended wrench even the offset version does not appears to fit thought the other opening in the case and would require the dissemblying of the whole wheel to get to the nut. I have been told that this isn't an uncommon problem, is everyone getting custom  socket made just for this purpose?

I did try asking at my neighborhood hardware store and they look at me like I am crazy..

Also is a loose axel sufficiently dangerous that I should stop riding the monster?

First, it's really bad luck that you received a Monster with somewhat loose axle nuts. I've heard of this before, but it's extremely rare. Unfortunately, typical poor Gotway QC (I wonder if they even have a concept of QC?).

I have a couple of videos on the Monster and the axle. You'll be doing what I demonstrate in this video

I don't know how handy you are with tools or your access to supplies. The socket and wrench will cost some money, but then you could buy a $20 grinder from Harbor Freight (if they exist around you) and cut the slot yourself. But I know it's tough if you haven't been around stuff like this. Then again, it's never too late to start learning the ways of tools, grinders, etc. :D

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

First, it's really bad luck that you received a Monster with somewhat loose axle nuts. I've heard of this before, but it's extremely rare. Unfortunately, typical poor Gotway QC (I wonder if they even have a concept of QC?).

I have a couple of videos on the Monster and the axle. You'll be doing what I demonstrate in this video

I don't know how handy you are with tools or your access to supplies. The socket and wrench will cost some money, but then you could buy a $20 grinder from Harbor Freight (if they exist around you) and cut the slot yourself. But I know it's tough if you haven't been around stuff like this. Then again, it's never too late to start learning the ways of tools, grinders, etc. :D

I had never used an angle grinder before and really only have rudimentary power tool skills; plus I also don't have access to a shop and will have to do whatever work necessary in my living room which might be tough. I would much prefer if I can find someone local to make the cut for me, but I haven't had much luck with any of the hardware store near by, I'll try calling some local custom metal fabricators but I suspect this is too small of a job for them. I wonder how Gotway does it in their factory?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hsiang said:

I had never used an angle grinder before and really only have rudimentary power tool skills; plus I also don't have access to a shop and will have to do whatever work necessary in my living room which might be tough. I would much prefer if I can find someone local to make the cut for me, but I haven't had much luck with any of the hardware store near by, I'll try calling some local custom metal fabricators but I suspect this is too small of a job for them. I wonder how Gotway does it in their factory?

It's easy to do in the factory before the wheel is attached the shell and the wiring is in place.. On my other video where I replace the shims, I'm using a standard socket wrench (no socket) because the motor is separated from the wheel.

4 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

If you send me a 24mm socket I will cut the slot for free. PM me if interested and I will provide my address.  

This is truly what I love about this forum... wonderful support and people.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jean Dublin said:

Does this also need to be checked on the 100v 1845wh? Or is it an older issue?

This is a potential issue on every Gotway wheel made in the last 4-years and will continue to be an issue until Gotway decides to improve their pedal hanger design. Any Monster version is particularly prone to the the problem due to the nature of the Monster pedal hanger length.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

does this offer stand for others as well? :)

27 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

I would love to accommodate everyone! Unfortunately each socket modification takes me about an hour to perform. Every slot is cut by hand using a ‘cut off’ wheel and then dressed with a die grinder. 

36500233665_3c2e88141b_b.jpg

If Hsiang does not respond I could do your’s immediately.  I would need a few weeks or more after the first socket to fabricate another one. Unfortunately my time is so limited that I have to squeeze these mods in between patients.

edit: Since you and Hsiang are both in NYC would 1 socket suffice and you could share?

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I would love to accommodate everyone! Unfortunately each socket modification takes me about an hour to perform. Every slot is cut by hand using a ‘cut off’ wheel and then dressed with a die grinder. 

If Hsiang does not respond I could do your’s immediately.  I would need a few weeks or more after the first socket to fabricate another one. Unfortunately my time is so limited that I have to squeeze these mods in between patients.

i’m in no rush! Whenever time allows. I’m using a 12 point wrench with a pipe to torque, but a proper socket would be easier. 

30 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

7 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

If Hsiang does not respond I could do your’s immediately.  I would need a few weeks or more after the first socket to fabricate another one. Unfortunately my time is so limited that I have to squeeze these mods between patients.

Tell you what, how about I send the one that Dan already fabricated. @Hsiang, if you want our help, let us know. I can mail the socket to you with the understanding that you mail it back to me (or mail it to @Ben Kim and he mails it back to me).

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 2

Just now, Ben Kim said:

i’m in no rush! Whenever time allows. I’m using a 12 point wrench with a pipe to torque, but a proper socket would be easier. 

Hey Ben, I just commented that since you and Hsiang reside in NYC  I could make one socket and you could possibly share. 

45 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

edit: Since you and Hsiang are both in NYC would 1 socket suffice and you could share?

we’re on opposite ends of the city (12 mile difference which is an hour with traffic), the logistics of sharing the socket may be tough. No worries if you’re busy, i totally understand! 

13 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

we’re on opposite ends of the city (12 mile difference which is an hour with traffic), the logistics of sharing the socket may be tough. No worries if you’re busy, i totally understand! 

I understand. For some reason I thought everyone in NYC gathered and rode together like we do in Toledo. ;) 

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Tell you what, how about I send the one that Dan already fabricated. @Hsiang, if you want our help, let us know. I can mail the socket to you with the understanding that you mail it back to me (or mail it to @Ben Kim and he mails it back to me).

Maybe I should just fabricate another one and between Marty and myself we could loan them out. Any thoughts about the logistics Marty? 

9 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I understand. For some reason I thought everyone in NYC gathered and rode together like we do in Toledo. ;) 

Maybe I should just fabricate another one and between Marty and myself we could loan them out. Any thoughts about the logistics Marty? 

NYC is a relatively fractured riding community in comparison to the rest of the country. Different skill levels, different PEVs, different priorities. What the rest of the world may consider reckless riding, we consider normal. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

NYC is a relatively fractured riding community in comparison to the rest of the country. Different skill levels, different PEVs, different priorities. What the rest of the world may consider reckless riding, we consider normal. 

I'll be happy to share! I dont live far from "HQ" the bubble tea joint most eriders gather. Also for Ben I actually travel to Flushing every Saturday since that's where my folks lives.

I actually bought 2 24mm socket since the one Chris has, was very tight in the v3 case and difficult to use. So I bought this:

Sunex 424mzt 3/4-Inch Drive 24-Mm 12-Point Thin Wall Impact Socket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006MPCBWM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_YGeEDbXX463RY

And this

Pro-Grade 14724 1/2-Inch Drive with 12 Point Deep 24mm Socket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EPKOVLK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_BIeEDb5T2HM25

In case if the first one is too short. I figure the chrome finish might help it turn easier. I'll get the first one tomorrow and the second the day after and will sent the one that does work!

Also the axle felt like it loosen some more so I think I am going to stop riding it just to be safe. Back to the i5 I guess..

• Like 1

Just now, Hsiang said:

I'll be happy to share! I dont live far from "HQ" the bubble tea joint most eriders gather. Also for Ben I actually travel to Flushing every Saturday since that's where my folks lives.

I actually bought 2 24mm socket since the one Chris has, was very tight in the v3 case and difficult to use. So I bought this:

Sunex 424mzt 3/4-Inch Drive 24-Mm 12-Point Thin Wall Impact Socket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006MPCBWM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_YGeEDbXX463RY

And this

Pro-Grade 14724 1/2-Inch Drive with 12 Point Deep 24mm Socket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EPKOVLK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_BIeEDb5T2HM25

In case if the first one is too short. I figure the chrome finish might help it turn easier. I'll get the first one tomorrow and the second the day after and will sent the one that does work!

Also the axle felt like it loosen some more so I think I am going to stop riding it just to be safe. Back to the i5 I guess..

HQ is 12 miles away from me ;) that’s an hour from College Point (even further than Flushing)

Just now, Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" said:

I just fabbed one yesterday using a grinder in about 2 minutes.So if you or anyone else wants to send me some sockets, I'll fab them and then give them to @Marty Backe at this Saturdays Griffith Park ride and he can distribute them to Monster riders as needed.

This is great! We need to start an EUC tool barn. 

You’re fast! What type of die grinder did you use? 

12 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

HQ is 12 miles away from me ;) that’s an hour from College Point (even further than Flushing)

This is why we all call Ben the “ghost rider” since we’re all convinced that he’s nothing more than a figment of our imagination.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hsiang said:

This is why we all call Ben the “ghost rider” since we’re all convinced that he’s nothing more than a figment of our imagination.

Yes, only appear in Manhattan for Olive BBQ, work, or Grays Papaya. 😂

7 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

This is great! We need to start an EUC tool barn. 

You’re fast! What type of die grinder did you use? 

Just a regular Dewalt 20v grinder with a 7 1/4 in. metal cut off blade.I carry them on my service trucks because I frequently have to cut off electric meter locking rings to disconnect power during service calls.It's the ultimate "master key".:D 

• Like 2