Tightening the Monster Axle Nuts

That washer looks good but i dont think you have enough room as it will push the nut up and there wont be enough threads left.  Also you might have a hard time keeping it from spinning when you tighten the axle nut.  It seems the stock wedges are made of a very soft metal and the tiny points of contact enable the steel  to wear out faster and loosen up.  I think people are on the right track by making new precision wedges out of a harder steel to prevent them from deforming from the lateral loads they face from crashes. also the aluminum pedal blocks seem to be extruded and not cast so they are fairly soft as well.

• 3 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, TremF said:

I have to admit that after my ACM axle breaking and now reading about the Monsters sub par spacers (due to sub par axle) I am tempted to write Gotway off altogether, before the Monster does a similar thing to me that the ACM did, and wait and see what the chunky new Ninebot is like for reliability and strength. :unsure:

After more than two months I still can't straighten my right elbow properly and still have pain in the wrist, arm & elbow so I'm nervous that an incident with the bigger & heavier Monster would be worse and also I can't risk possible damage to my neck after the spine surgery. 

Very disappointing after spending around £3000 on the Monster and parts to repair the casing. Not a loss I can afford to swallow, especially if there's another incident to keep me off work.

Everyone certainly needs to find their own comfort level. Unfortunately at this time in our 'sport', it's not a poor mans game. I probably would not recommend that people purchase performance wheels unless they can afford to take a total loss. There are just too many risks, even if accidental.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

@Marty Backe did you manage to get some replacement inserts for your Monster?  Is it back in action?

No, I haven't pursued it yet. The tightening helped, but it's still not great. I'm not sure what exactly I'm going to do. @Joey Serrin has a solution in the works so I'm probably going to see him eventually.

• Like 1

If anyone needs replacement axle inserts, Green and Fashion Travaling seems to stock them.  You might want to double check with them if they have them for your specific model as Mten3 and Monster inserts likely are different I'm guessing?

https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/32832899025.html

Select colour and look for motor tabletting 4P.  $15 for the set.

@Sven did you get your Monster repaired?

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

If anyone needs replacement axle inserts, Green and Fashion Travaling seems to stock them.  You might want to double check with them if they have them for your specific model as Mten3 and Monster inserts likely are different I'm guessing?

Cool find @Hunka Hunka Burning Love. I wonder if the same set of shims fit all of their wheels.

For someone who doesn't ride Gotway, you sure like to dig for nuggets like this :D :thumbup:

• Upvote 1

I was actually looking for Ninebot pedal supports for that guy in the Ninebot forum, but I couldn't find any.  I searched all around and on AliExpress, and I noticed the Gotway parts for some reason.  It's always good to know where you can get parts for stuff.  :ph34r:

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Nope...It's been what well over a month maybe more but um @Jason McNeil's last email stated "We just received some replacement Spacers from Gotway, Joey will fit them when has the time." 

Still waiting. I think i forgot how to ride EUC already and might have to ride from pole to pole all over again. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Well at least you've got the Grom to tide you over.  Have you tried any off-roading on it @Sven?  How you liking it so far?  Too bad it doesn't have just a little more oomph to be able to take it on the freeway.

I'm lovin' it! It's been really fun getting around town and putting mods to it. I get similar "EUC" reaction from the people while on Grom ;) 

KF Picnic_001.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

That is one sweet ride!  :w00t2:  Nice dog accessory too!

It looks like an attention getter.  You should post up some vids like this guy:

Yeah, I have activeon camera installed to my "motorcycle helmet" but it serves as a black box and haven't had a chance to review the footages. Maybe I'll put something together this weekend.

I use my bicycle ring bell and goofing around people. 

You might want to check out fooligan's youtube. That guy knows how to enjoy this bike 120% :) 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Sven said:

I'm lovin' it! It's been really fun getting around town and putting mods to it. I get similar "EUC" reaction from the people while on Grom ;) 

I can believe that you're lovin your Grom, but I seriously doubt this statement.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All,  I was also considering making a tool to tighten the Monster (and other Gotway) axle nuts on the motor-wire side until I realized that a good, offset ring spanner works 100%!

GED1BMM-1.jpg.103c2aa6f6cb625d64e7e5c0368f1e4d.jpg

:-):-):-)

I love the Gotway products but I far prefer the KingSong axle/pillar connection - it requires no maintenance and is superior IMHO.

Image result for kingsong pillar

GED1BMM-1.jpg

Edited by ElectricWheels
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to mention that my 2 month old Monster has developed the loose axle nuts.

I had put roughly about 3-400 miles on it before this happened.

Following Marty's repair video I fabricated a 24mm socket I had to fit over the wires.

I tightened each side a good 1/4 turn using a breaker bar and additional pipe.

After reassembly and test it works good as new! B)

I must have got lucky mine is 100% tight.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Steven D Wheeler said:

Just wanted to mention that my 2 month old Monster has developed the loose axle nuts.

I had put roughly about 3-400 miles on it before this happened.

Following Marty's repair video I fabricated a 24mm socket I had to fit over the wires.

I tightened each side a good 1/4 turn using a breaker bar and additional pipe.

After reassembly and test it works good as new! B)

I must have got lucky mine is 100% tight.

Glad that you were able to tighten yours more than I could. I'm waiting for mine to get worse again and then I'll be tearing the whole wheel down to replace the shims :(

• 1 year later...

Had to revive this old thread since my 3 weeks old monster had developed a loose axle, and require tightening.

@houseofjob was nice enough to help me open it up and tightening it but since I didn't listen and let the loctight set it loosen the same afternoon after we tighten it.

So instead of keep bugging him, I need to find a socket that would fit through the case so I don't have to take the whole thing apart. the offset wrench seems like it'll be too thick and doesn't offset enough to get around all the batteries and what not. Anyone found a better source for a slotted 24mm socket? they seem to make a "oxygen sensor socket" which has the slot precut, but they only comes in 22mm varieties. I'll also need to find a nice long breaker bar to crank it properly.

5 hours ago, Hsiang said:

Had to revive this old thread since my 3 weeks old monster had developed a loose axle, and require tightening.

@houseofjob was nice enough to help me open it up and tightening it but since I didn't listen and let the loctight set it loosen the same afternoon after we tighten it.

So instead of keep bugging him, I need to find a socket that would fit through the case so I don't have to take the whole thing apart. the offset wrench seems like it'll be too thick and doesn't offset enough to get around all the batteries and what not. Anyone found a better source for a slotted 24mm socket? they seem to make a "oxygen sensor socket" which has the slot precut, but they only comes in 22mm varieties. I'll also need to find a nice long breaker bar to crank it properly.

i think i told you in the telegram chat, you have two options, take a standard 24mm socket and grind out a section of the socket wall so the motor lines clear, OR get a 12 point 24mm wrench, temporarily remove the motor lines from the mainboard and torque it with a pipe on the wrench handle. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hsiang said:

So instead of keep bugging him, I need to find a socket that would fit through the case so I don't have to take the whole thing apart. the offset wrench seems like it'll be too thick and doesn't offset enough to get around all the batteries and what not. Anyone found a better source for a slotted 24mm socket?

Here is the 24mm socket I made for Marty awhile back (wow...it’s been two years). You’ll need to grind a notch into the side of the socket for the wires to clear.

36444329726_d7c570fb3e_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Here is the 24mm socket I made for Marty awhile back (wow...it’s been two years). You’ll need to grind a notch into the side of the socket for the wires to clear.

36444329726_d7c570fb3e_b.jpg

And I continue to get good use out of it :cheers: All Gotway wheels now use the 24mm axle nut.

• Like 2