Gotway Mten3 time limited promotions

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

I don't plan on riding fast, but that is an interesting thing you said about favoring one leg.  I've never seen anyone say that before.  Do you mean kind of turning the upper body slightly?  Like if you turned slightly to the left, that would be favoring the right leg?

Like skiing technique, no real upper body movement is necessary when traveling at speed (or ever for that matter); the legs and hips should do all the work, even for turns.

What I'm referring to is just favoring weight slightly more on one leg versus the other, as opposed to standing equal weight on each foot, equally placed on the same symmetrical pedal positioning, as this tends to create wobbling at higher speeds. In order to emphasize this favoring I tend to do the following:

• split my hips so my hip plane is more diagonal to the EUC body plane, not perpendicular
  • I also tend to slip my feet ever so constantly with each switching of favored feet, pivoting by lifting heel-toe-heel-toe, etc.
  • also of note, just like in skiing, if I favor my right leg, then I tend to turn left (like an outside ski in skiing), and vice-versa. so in preparation of a left turn, I start favoring my right leg. (addendum: Ah @steve454 just realized you just said this!)

Most of the high speed 'wobble' issues people complain about on these forums (especially for InMotion wheels) I personally have strong suspicions that people are not employing this.

Me and @Citi Wheel have a fellow rider friend saying he had wobble issues on his V5F. @Citi Wheel mentioned the favoring weight note/cue, and now he has no more wobbles. And if you learn to ride this way, InMotion wheels turn like a dream!, which is a big reason I am so fond of them, particularly the V5.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Like skiing technique, no real upper body movement is necessary when traveling at speed (or ever for that matter); the legs and hips should do all the work, even for turns.

What I'm referring to is just favoring weight slightly more on one leg versus the other, as opposed to standing equal weight on each foot, equally placed on the same symmetrical pedal positioning, as this tends to create wobbling at higher speeds. In order to emphasize this favoring I tend to do the following:

• split my hips so my hip plane is more diagonal to the EUC body plane, not perpendicular
  • I also tend to slip my feet ever so constantly with each switching of favored feet, pivoting by lifting heel-toe-heel-toe, etc.
  • also of note, just like in skiing, if I favor my right leg, then I tend to turn left (like an outside ski in skiing), and vice-versa. so in preparation of a left turn, I start favoring my right leg. (addendum: Ah @steve454 just realized you just said this!)

Most of the high speed 'wobble' issues people complain about on these forums (especially for InMotion wheels) I personally have strong suspicions that people are not employing this.

Me and @Citi Wheel have a fellow rider friend saying he had wobble issues on his V5F. @Citi Wheel mentioned the favoring weight note/cue, and now he has no more wobbles. And if you learn to ride this way, InMotion wheels turn like a dream!, which is a big reason I am so fond of them, particularly the V5.

Thank you,  I had to reread that a couple of times because I have never skied, but I think I kind of get it.  I am going to try that heel and toe on my next ride.

1 minute ago, steve454 said:

Thank you,  I had to reread that a couple of times because I have never skied, but I think I kind of get it.  I am going to try that heel and toe on my next ride.

The heel-toe thing is more to alleviate foot pain on the foot that is not being favored, and also out of my feet being bored, so not the most important part of it :ph34r::ph34r: (ie. the favored foot is pretty planted)

20 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

The heel-toe thing is more to alleviate foot pain on the foot that is not being favored, and also out of my feet being bored, so not the most important part of it :ph34r::ph34r: (ie. the favored foot is pretty planted)

Thanks, now I get it, I have been working on that also.  I have been shifting my feet lately.

14 hours ago, houseofjob said:

They do. And EUCs self balance, what's your point?

That with 2 wheels you have twice the gyroscopic effect to keep it upright and 2 wheels will not so easily be destabilised as having only one.

23 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

That with 2 wheels you have twice the gyroscopic effect to keep it upright and 2 wheels will not so easily be destabilised as having only one.

??

e-kickboard scooters have no gyroscopes, they're just simply a platform over 2 wheels. EUCs are balanced by their gyroscope. IMO, with equal expertise, they're on equal / comparable footing for this tire size vs max speed argument.

As long as you have the knowhow to travel at speed on any EUC, there is no reason, theoretically, you can't travel the same comfortable cruising speeds on a 10" e-kickboard scooter that you can on a 10" EUC; simply that the demands and engineering of the EUC motor and ergonomics are not quite as simple as the e-kickboard scooter for the EUC technology to have caught up to the same speeds as the e-kickboard scooter, that's all.

Agree to disagree. :D

23 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Same deal with the Tesla. I'm pretty sure the light is fixed, so no angling down. I guess you would still need to employ a 2nd bike light angled down.

I wish the wheels would just adopt a mount that allowed many bike lights to mount.  Dualbeam lights could them be used and better quality lights that don'r use the main battery.  I know many like the integrated lights and I think they should be there for backup, but an external wide beam light is needed in my area.

2 minutes ago, FreeRide said:

I wish the wheels would just adopt a mount that allowed many bike lights to mount.  

It is usually quite easy to mount a normal torch light. I am using the DQG Tiny 18650 which I can recommend, as it has a TIR optics, which gives a much better beam for riding than the normal reflector optics. 

21 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

??

e-kickboard scooters have no gyroscopes, they're just simply a platform over 2 wheels. EUCs are balanced by their gyroscope. IMO, with equal expertise, they're on equal / comparable footing for this tire size vs max speed argument.

You don't understand.

The gyroscope in the euc only helps front/back balance. That is a non-issue with a scooter since it has two wheels and therefore will never fall over to the front or back. What I am talking about is the gyroscopic effect of the wheel for keeping you upright, so you don't fall over left/right and what gives you stability. The same as why riding a bicycle is easier the faster you go. 2 wheels in 10" = double the gyroscopic effect of 1 wheel in 10".

the fact that you have 2 wheels that are connected to each other in a straight line gives you a LOT more straight line stability than just having one. Your analogy does not make sense.

16 minutes ago, FreeRide said:

I wish the wheels would just adopt a mount that allowed many bike lights to mount.  Dualbeam lights could them be used and better quality lights that don'r use the main battery.  I know many like the integrated lights and I think they should be there for backup, but an external wide beam light is needed in my area.

Just glue on a gopro mount.

1 minute ago, ir_fuel said:

You don't understand.

The gyroscope in the euc only helps front/back balance. That is a non-issue with a scooter since it has two wheels and therefore will never fall over to the front or back. What I am talking about is the gyroscopic effect of the wheel for keeping you upright, so you don't fall over left/right and what gives you stability. The same as why riding a bicycle is easier the faster you go. 2 wheels in 10" = double the gyroscopic effect of 1 wheel in 10".

Ah, I see.

I still don't think this is that significant enough that a 10" EUC cannot theoretically cruise comfortably (relatively speaking) the same speeds as a 10" e-kickboard scooter.

Just now, houseofjob said:

Ah, I see.

I still don't think this is that significant enough that a 10" EUC cannot theoretically cruise comfortably (relatively speaking) the same speeds as a 10" e-kickboard scooter.

Speed wobbles.

1 minute ago, houseofjob said:

Again, IMHO it's technique; if you don't favor one leg at speed, yes, you get speed wobbles. With favoring, no. Agree to disagree.

You won't get that (or a lot less) on an e-scooter because of the extra stability of the platform.

We aren't robots. Theory =/= practice. People will be able to go faster on two wheels than on one, let alone if you hit some obstacle while riding.

5 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

You won't get that (or a lot less) on an e-scooter because of the extra stability of the platform.

We aren't robots. Theory =/= practice. People will be able to go faster on two wheels than on one, let alone if you hit some obstacle while riding.

I'm not saying the e-scooter isn't more stable, because it is. But that doesn't mean you can't go at speed with a lesser sense of stability on the comparable size EUC.

The 'theoretical' termage use is not what you are alluding to here; I use it because this MTen3 technology cannot literally go the same e-kickboard scooter speeds, that's all.

Obstacles was never a part of my argument; obviously smaller size wheels going over divots and such, on either EUC or e-kickboard scooters, are problematic regardless.

18 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

That with 2 wheels you have twice the gyroscopic effect to keep it upright ...

18 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

... and 2 wheels will not so easily be destabilised as having only one.

EUCs obtain their forward/backward stability by motor torque - instead of a second wheel. But its not necessarily true that the second wheel is the more stable option as every bump leads to angular momentum and can lead to wobbles, exspecially with a short wheelbase.
I have figured, that my Unicycle surprisingly is more stable on snow and ice than my bicycle. Because of less lateral force when cornering. But then you go slow anyway.

24 minutes ago, caelus said:

It is usually quite easy to mount a normal torch light. I am using the DQG Tiny 18650 which I can recommend, as it has a TIR optics, which gives a much better beam for riding than the normal reflector optics. 

I don't own that DQG, but several others.  I'm using a Klarus G20 on a miniPro and that is the beam type I prefer (Wide), and nice runtime. Generally use level 3 at night (few street lamps here), and level 2 for daylight just for driver visibility if I'm going against traffic and narrow roads.  I have several SF with TIR optics and I think they would be good in a dual beam setup as the distance beam.  I've not tried my Fenix BC30, but I think that is the style that would work really well.

3 minutes ago, FreeRide said:

I'm using a Klarus G20 on a miniPro and that is the beam type I prefer (Wide), and nice runtime. ...I have several SF with TIR optics and I think they would be good in a dual beam setup as the distance beam. 

The best torch for EUCs - good topic!
The Klarus G20 uses an orange peel reflector and has a nice beam. Pretty strong and still compact. However regarding the optics, TIR provide the benefit of having a more gradual intensity from hot spot to spill and also no abrupt cut off which is more pleasant to the eyes, imho. But it should be a wide pattern, yes. 

• 3 weeks later...

So that thing arrived here today. I am currently charging it for the first time. Noob question as I never owned a Gotway wheel before. Are you allowed to turn it on whilst charging? Would be to check the battery level in the app. This is something Inmotion has right. You can connect to the device when it's charging, as the bluetooth connection is on when the charger is plugged (nice, or not nice, as the garage is just/just not out of bluetooth range for my phone so I get 1 million connect/disconnect notifications from DarknessBot whilst it is charging ....)

2 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

So that thing arrived here today. I am currently charging it for the first time. Noob question as I never owned a Gotway wheel before. Are you allowed to turn it on whilst charging? Would be to check the battery level in the app. This is something Inmotion has right. You can connect to the device when it's charging, as the bluetooth connection is on when the charger is plugged (nice, or not nice, as the garage is just/just not out of bluetooth range for my phone so I get 1 million connect/disconnect notifications from DarknessBot whilst it is charging ....)

There's a bug in the firmware. Sometimes one of the MOSFETs will blow if you do this. And there's even a remote possibility of one of the motor cables melting. I'd advise that you don't take the chance.

;)

2 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

FYI, when it's fully charged there will be 6 pulsing LED's (they slowly change color) in the front. When there are only two LEDs you are almost out of power. When the battery was so low that I couldn't ride the wheel there were still two LEDs glowing so I don't think only one ever appears.

Archived