63 old guinea pig

novazeus

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, novazeus said:

I was thinking maybe the state built these for me for initial wheel training, to get the feel.

IMG_4318.PNG

You mean in the cage? 

@steve454 When I did the inline skates starting out, I think I bought wrist guards but stopped wearing anything pretty quick. It was too hot. I have gone done on skates, mechanical failure, still my fault, hadn't tighten my rails. Not sure how crashing on skates is different from wheels, pavement is pavement and I could go pretty fast. I was in late fiftys when I quit that and I'm sure I won't heal as fast, so I'm definitely wearing leather work gloves. My hands usually take most of the force of my up close asphalt inspections. I never wore a helmet skating, always on my bikes though. 

But I agree a nice couple of rails would be nice.

@Mono That's what I was thinking. I need to park at the mall and Bob and I will go do some reconnaissance. I've never been in one. Probably hardly anybody ever has been in these. I could probably fence the ends off and train Bob in there with me. People don't walk up and down SR 56. It's a six lane highway. For me to get there, I'll have to lug the wheel at least a half of a mile from where close parking is.Maybe I'll get uber to drop me off and pick me up, if I don't master it in twenty minutes. only 1.5 miles from my house.

3 minutes ago, novazeus said:

But I agree a nice couple of rails would be nice.

Damn, I was trying to find that video by Dion at Myfunwheels.biz where he demonstrated learning in his hallway, but couldn't find it.  A couple of other members here used that method and liked it.  But if you search Dion in the forum, you might find a link.  There are so many videos in the video page it is hard to find a specific one nowadays.

Maybe those concrete barricades are at a good height. That would be the narrowest anyway and the flat top where the cage poles are might be good for dragging your hands along. I'm not crazy about grabbing the chain link either.

@steve454 I saw it. I thought that was great too. I thought about me and Bob getting a nice honeymoon suite at a hotel with narrow hallways. I'm afraid Bob might trash the room like a rock band if left alone, huge but still a puppy. Probably gonna have to reach out to a girl and disguise it as a getaway.

When I get my wheels, not to be cocky, and I have no idea what this is gonna feel like, totally, but I'll be surprised if I ddon't catch on quickly. If I don't there is no way in heck, my little gfs will get to first base. They're pretty and all but I don't think I know a one that's very coordinated. I took 3 to CO and bought lift tickets, rented snow boards, and only one would attempt that. The two that didn't were smart. This FL boy has no desire to do that again. So I'm trying to figure out a foolproof easy way for these girls to learn. Most are of the " I don't wanna break a nail" type.

A straight cage like that with stuff on both sides to grab is a good place to start, especially for people who are less brave. I kind of wish I had that kind of area when I started. Eventually you need to get out of there so you can learn to turn but that would be a great place to start I think.

@steve454 Not ever even touched a wheel before, a nice narrow hallway in a big hotel without the maids on the floor, off season, tight thin commercial carpet, would seem to be perfect. With turn arounds in the elevator lobbys. Vegas would probably be perfect right now. Dead of summer and cheap. September probably better. Getting Bob and the wheels there would be a problem and they are kinda uptight about security there.

@novazeus Yeah that would be pretty nice. Its handy to have so much land, you can set up whatever you want there. I am in the middle of a dense urban area so its hard for me to find space to practice things sometimes but these wheels are also insanely practical in urban spaces like this too.

@electricpen Yes, thanks for your helping me think through this. I have 16' gates laying around and I'm sure I can rig up a 32' long chute that I can pick up with my big tractor or backhoe and set it on the driveway and when I'm new with my getting the feel of it, just pick the whole chute up and set it aside the road. If I could find cheap used conveyor belt, use that as the asphalt covering, might be overkill. Not any pressure on you worrying about making people laugh at you.

8 hours ago, novazeus said:

I know it works but if you have the patience to read it, they explain how it works

Since using a shopping cart to learn has already been raised with you by someone else your treatment paper reference is next in line in terms of topics of interest. 

Clearly your physician should be in control as advice goes. The paper raised some interesting points and comes from a highly respected source (ncbi) where I have a paper or two from a few decades ago on an unrelated subject. From a just casual reading perspective t-cancer has a good 5 year perspective (95%) but what I read deals with the whole surgical approach. As most readers already know metastasis into the lymph is an wanted consequence of poor treatment or late detection.

Since my knowledge of the subject ends there I wish you all the best in choosing what treatment options are best for you , as guided by your doctor's counsel.

With regard to EUC:

Don't fall, wear some protective gear and enjoy whatever distance and skills you develop as the mindset takes hold of your riding interest. Foot inserts and shin pads of some sort generally minimize foot pain and shin issues while learning and beyond.

16 hours ago, novazeus said:

Maybe those concrete barricades are at a good height. That would be the narrowest anyway and the flat top where the cage poles are might be good for dragging your hands along. I'm not crazy about grabbing the chain link either.

First thing is to know how to stand on the wheel while holding on to something and moving the wheel below you back and forth. But that takes only five minutes to learn.

After that, for learning to move, what you want is a wide open space, because you will be able to move but you will not be able to control where to move. To bump into the next wall or car or whatever all the time doesn't help. The ideal surface is debatable. Less sticky is better, to make twisting the wheel easier (this is how you keep balance). Less hard is better to decrease the fear of hitting the ground. Plain flat is better because it is predictable. I prefer unpaved surfaces for learning and practicing.

@Mono Thanks for the advice. On the debatable topic of perfect surface to learn on, like if you were building a facility to teach riding a wheel, I don't know if you have ever seen, but you can probably imagine, repurposed conveyor belt material. Back in my rc days, I remember an airfield that had repurposed conveyor belt just laying on the ground. Comes in different thicknesses and sizes obviously. Just doing some math in my head, not counting freight, I think I could negotiate it to ten cents a square foot. That's cheaper than sod. Might do that around my compound anyway. I hate cutting grass and weeds. So in a perfect world, how big of an open area do you think would need to teach the worst student on the planet? I'm not crazy, I'm not gonna do this for just me, but if I think these wheels are gonna gain traction, maybe in the near future for others. Evidently according to this repurposing vendor, they use them in horse stalls and cowpens.

IMG_0015.PNG

If you can put enough together and make the seams not noticeable to ride over, a wider area the size of a basketball court probably is more ideal than narrow strips to practice on.  You want to be able to do some veering off course and not worry about riding off the surface.  Or you could use a wide strip like in your photo and set up two sets of chairs about 10-15 feet away from each other.  Use the backs as supports and practice gliding over to the next set.  

Gradually increase the distance between the chairs and eventually remove one on each side.  That's what I did basically.  It sort of looked like the start of a luge race as I would roll back and forth to get my balance and control, and glide to the other two chairs (backs facing each other), turn around and repeat the process.

53 minutes ago, novazeus said:

@Mono Thanks for the advice. On the debatable topic of perfect surface to learn on, like if you were building a facility to teach riding a wheel, I don't know if you have ever seen, but you can probably imagine, repurposed conveyor belt material. Back in my rc days, I remember an airfield that had repurposed conveyor belt just laying on the ground. Comes in different thicknesses and sizes obviously. Just doing some math in my head, not counting freight, I think I could negotiate it to ten cents a square foot. That's cheaper than sod. Might do that around my compound anyway. I hate cutting grass and weeds. So in a perfect world, how big of an open area do you think would need to teach the worst student on the planet?

Something to the extend of a wide basketball field, say 100x70 feet, should definitely do. And a little later you can start with equipment like

Archived