EUC parts manufacturer

T3chsavvy

Hello everyone, I was just wondering if anyone knows of a good company to purchase a 16 inch or an 18 inch EUC motor. I'm also looking for a high speed controller. Preferably high voltage and straight from a supplier. Im currently working on 3D printing and building an EUC and having some trouble finding parts since Shenzhen Microworks seems to have shut down. 

Hi @T3chsavvy.

Because is hard to find that parts, I plan to build using an electric bicycle motor + electric bicycle motor controller + Arduino. Build my own metal structure, something simple and also use 3D print.

Like this motor:

http://www.leafbike.com/products/e-scooter-hub-motor/18-inch-electric-motor/18-inch-48v-1000w-rear-hub-motor-645.html

Voltage: 48V
Power: 1000W
Max speed: 50.4 kmh -- 30mph

fcb1b98b34.jpg

Very interesting. I would love to see how that turns out! Also, does anyone have an idea on the specifications on this particular controller I found on eBay. The seller didn't list any and I'm having trouble getting a reply from him which makes me think he possibly doesn't know.

$_3.JPG

Seems to me that is a Gen1 board: https://github.com/EGG-electric-unicycle/documentation/wiki/Controllers
I think that ones can't run motors at high speed (due to lack of hardware to make FOC) and so run them only at max 16km/h. MicroWorks, IMO, was the only company selling boards for DIY (and all the parts for EUC) that run motors fast like 30km/h -- they are not selling and producing anymore that boards nor products to EUC market. The only companies are the ones like Ninebot, GotWay, KingSong, etc and that ones will never sell parts for DIY. Because of that, I want to develop my own technology taking advantage of EBikes technology that I don't think the market will not decrease as happen with EUCs.

The only pieces missing on the EBike motor controllers, are the MPU8050. We can put it externally with an Arduino, since we can buy MPU6050 module for Arduino, very cheap on EBay. This board connects to the motor controller using UART, like the scheme used on Hoverboards:

http://drewspewsmuse.blogspot.pt/2016/06/how-i-hacked-self-balancing-scooter.html
Seems there is a main boar to control the motors and secondary boards to read tilt angle and send that value to main board.

IMG_0863.JPG

EUC using an EBike and metal structures

Here is an EUC using a EBike motor and rim/wheel -- the same I would like to do, to have much more freedom on the motor supplier, motor controller, battery AND MOTOR SPEED!! @MattJ look at this EUC.

On 08/06/2017 at 5:34 AM, codersarepeople said:

I saw this really interesting interview with the founder of Grin Technologies, and thought it would really be interesting to people here.

Interestingly, at about 45 minutes, he points to an EUC he made and claims he made it at about the same time as Shane Chen. He also talks at length from about 10-35 minutes about some really interesting aspects of batteries. In another great video of his, he shows off his pedal-assist regular unicycle, which is really cool.

Screenshot_from_2017-06-09_23-51-17.png

I already saw that driver and seems to be the only one for Arduino world. It doesn't do FOC for what I could see from the schematic. And so I believe it just drive the motors with 6 steps and IMO, doesn't break/regen. For balancing, I think we need to know motor speed and EUC angle. That driver will not output motor speed.

I think in using an EBike controller like Kunteng KT controller that have UART input/output and that way I would try send the torque command and read motor speed, to be able to do the balance algorithm on an Arduino.

You guys should read the firmware thread.

You can still use one of my controllers if you like, I have both VESC and ti instaspin versions working. All that remains to do is write the balancing control loop, I have been busy with cryptocurrency trading so I couldn't find someone to finish it the last few weeks. VESC is easier for motor detection but difficult to add balancing functions due to having a real time OS. Instaspin is a bit annoying when it comes to motor detection but it's easy to add a simple control loop for balancing.

On 8/13/2017 at 6:32 PM, T3chsavvy said:

Very interesting. I would love to see how that turns out! Also, does anyone have an idea on the specifications on this particular controller I found on eBay. The seller didn't list any and I'm having trouble getting a reply from him which makes me think he possibly doesn't know.

$_3.JPG

I have bought chinese generic EUC last April2017 and the controller board is the same as your photo, yellow board frame with 3 big capacitors near the 2 wire battery terminals, no applicable mobile apps and only run to a limited 12KPH maximum.  Not a strong EUC and couldn't barely afford to run over a 6" road humps. As i don't have any clue how to modify it to unlock the speed or to discharge a power to make it torquey, after a month use, I sold it.

• 10 months later...
11 minutes ago, Guy Shahar said:

Hi Guys,

I also would like to build an EUC using arduino.

Has anyone done it and can share the knowledge? 

Now here is a guy with a real death wish!

OK, only joking, but you certainly would want to think VERY carefully about the algorithms and sensors you use.  I am not sure anyone has actually used an Arduino in an EUC but @esaj has certainly had a lot of fun experimenting with small self balancing robots.

I would recommend you start by doing a search within the forum for “microworks”. I haven’t been following this closely and they did go out of production but I think I saw that they are back?

Regardless of that, there is a lot of discussion about the open source controller and firmware for it that should give you plenty of ideas @lizardmech was particularly active in this - you might perhaps start here: 

2 minutes ago, Keith said:

Now here is a guy with a real death wish!

OK, only joking, but you certainly would want to think VERY carefully about the algorithms and sensors you use.  I am not sure anyone has actually used an Arduino in an EUC but @esaj has certainly had a lot of fun experimenting with small self balancing robots.

I would recommend you start by doing a search within the forum for “microworks”. I haven’t been following this closely and they did go out of production but I think I saw that they are back?

Regardless of that, there is a lot of discussion about the open source controller and firmware for it that should give you plenty of ideas - you might perhaps start here: 

Thank you Keith..!

I saw some DIY EUC projects and it seems to have a great potential.

An open source, international project might be incredible, especially because it is very hard to buy an EUC at some countries that do not allow them...

I'll look for microworks and see if they have solutions ?

Thanks!

Archived